Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

24 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Yeah... hopefully Xander/Camus will be sufficient Eldigan stand-ins; I've got plenty of material for a cav team but not the recommended core of Eldy + Rein (only the latter haha). I'm gonna be shooting for maybe like Eliwood, Reinhardt, Camus, and Cecilia/Leo... I'd like to be able to work in Leo but who knows x__x

Any-range counter built into their weaponry? I'd be more worried for Eldigan, tbh.

Come to think of it...between Xander, Camus, Gunter (possibly outsourcing Hone Cavalry), and Cecilia, they'll have given us a free, highly viable cavalry team once those two come out. Cecilia might want Gronnblade, and for Camus to grab Hone Cavalry, sure. I just finished a Cecilia write-up, actually...the numbers are legitimately frightening.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Any-range counter built into their weaponry? I'd be more worried for Eldigan, tbh.

Come to think of it...between Xander, Camus, Gunter (possibly outsourcing Hone Cavalry), and Cecilia, they'll have given us a free, highly viable cavalry team once those two come out. Cecilia might want Gronnblade, and for Camus to grab Hone Cavalry, sure. I just finished a Cecilia write-up, actually...the numbers are legitimately frightening.

Have you posted the Cecilia write-up yet? I'm interested in reading it, as I'm considering a full cavalry team in the future. 

49 minutes ago, Levin's Scarf said:

Have you posted the Cecilia write-up yet? I'm interested in reading it, as I'm considering a full cavalry team in the future. 

Oh, I usually stick them in google docs (link to an index of them in my signature). The Cecilia one is here...there's a Gronnraven & Gronnblade set (Gronnblade is the scary one, but Gronnraven's not too shabby). If you'd like, I can post a modified version of the Gronnblade set that's easier to put together (you can definitely work with regular ol' Gronnblade and Attack +3, you'll just be a bit more buff reliant and probably lose a lot of the sword OHKOs), as I tend to just stick whatever I think is optimal in those write-ups. I like to keep it to things you can get off of 4*s (edit: when I can), but still...

Honestly the gist of it is sit her next to someone with Hone Cavalry → blow something up.

Edited by LordFrigid

10 hours ago, LordFrigid said:

Oh, I usually stick them in google docs (link to an index of them in my signature). The Cecilia one is here...there's a Gronnraven & Gronnblade set (Gronnblade is the scary one, but Gronnraven's not too shabby). If you'd like, I can post a modified version of the Gronnblade set that's easier to put together (you can definitely work with regular ol' Gronnblade and Attack +3, you'll just be a bit more buff reliant and probably lose a lot of the sword OHKOs), as I tend to just stick whatever I think is optimal in those write-ups. I like to keep it to things you can get off of 4*s (edit: when I can), but still...

Honestly the gist of it is sit her next to someone with Hone Cavalry → blow something up.

you don't say? 

Also what's the best that anyone's come up with for Kagero? 

I thought maybe Fury and Desperation would go nicely with her reprisal, but I'm also considering L&D and something else

she is hp+ res-

39 minutes ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

you don't say? 

I thought maybe Fury and Desperation would go nicely with her reprisal, but I'm also considering L&D and something else

she is hp+ res-

Kagero @ Poison Dagger+

• Life and Death 3
  • Any, Wings of Mercy Preferred
  • Threaten Def 3 / Hone Skill / Spur Skill
  • Positioning Skill / HP Manipulation Skill
  • Any, but Draconic Aura preferred

Kagero is a one-hit wonder whose entire niche revolves around deleting common infantry units in one hit. While a +Atk roll is ideal, she can still do her job with a Hone Atk buff--which is mandatory for netting many of her KO's--so long as she is not -Atk. Life and Death secures more KO's than Death Blow due to elevating Kagero's speed tier, making the -1 Atk negligible. Her B skill is usually not relevant since she will normally get OHKO'd if she ever takes a counter, but Wings of Mercy is a good filler. To ease inheritance requirements, you can elect to keep her default Daggerbreaker, but to use it or not to use it makes no difference in her matchup spread.

Lastly, the C Passive and Assist will depend on your team. Threaten Defense provides an effective +5 Atk to not only Kagero but also her allies. If she is facing a bad matchup, however, a Hone or Spur Atk can easily be substituted in because her range makes her a natural fit for the backline of your team. Positioning skills to consider here include Swap and Draw Back; Reciprocal Aid is preferred for HP manipulation. Similar to her B Passive, her special will not be relevant most of the time, but Draconic Aura can take the last slot due to outdamaging Moonbow. The default Reprisal is fine, but her HP cap is too low to maximize its potential.

Hope this helps.

Edited by MrSmokestack

1 hour ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

she is hp+ res-

MrSmokestack's build is quite good too but for some more ideas/perspective, my build is (going to be) Defiant Atk 3, Vantage, and Reciprocal Aid, which I thought would combo well with Reprisal (though TBH I'll probably be swapping out her special in the long term, though Moonbow is the only one I have a steady supply of). It'll be less speedy than Smokey's build due to lacking LaD and possibly get less kills that way, but has the added benefit of being able to bait and obliterate every ranged infantry unit except Robin and Merric (who she'll need Moonbow to beat... hmm... welp I guess I know what I'm doing with mine now lol) without too much risk. 

Hope that helps a bit ~3~ Pretty sure mine is mainly inferior but at least you have options depending on what fodder you got available haha. 

Edited by BANRYU

53 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Kagero @ Poison Dagger+

• Life and Death 3
  • Any, Wings of Mercy Preferred
  • Threaten Def 3 / Hone Skill / Spur Skill
  • Positioning Skill / HP Manipulation Skill
  • Any, but Draconic Aura preferred

Kagero is a one-hit wonder whose entire niche revolves around deleting common infantry units in one hit. While a +Atk roll is ideal, she can still do her job with a Hone Atk buff--which is mandatory for netting many of her KO's--so long as she is not -Atk. Life and Death secures more KO's than Death Blow due to elevating Kagero's speed tier, making the -1 Atk negligible. Her B skill is usually not relevant since she will normally get OHKO'd if she ever takes a counter, but Wings of Mercy is a good filler. To ease inheritance requirements, you can elect to keep her default Daggerbreaker, but to use it or not to use it makes no difference in her matchup spread.

Lastly, the C Passive and Assist will depend on your team. Threaten Defense provides an effective +5 Atk to not only Kagero but also her allies. If she is facing a bad matchup, however, a Hone or Spur Atk can easily be substituted in because her range makes her a natural fit for the backline of your team. Positioning skills to consider here include Swap and Draw Back; Reciprocal Aid is preferred for HP manipulation. Similar to her B Passive, her special will not be relevant most of the time, but Draconic Aura can take the last slot due to outdamaging Moonbow. The default Reprisal is fine, but her HP cap is too low to maximize its potential.

Hope this helps.

Getting L&D 3 would be a pain, is it still worth it if it was just L&D 2?

1 minute ago, BANRYU said:

MrSmokestack's build is quite good too but for some more ideas/perspective, my build is (going to be) Defiant Atk 3, Vantage, and Reciprocal Aid, which I thought would combo well with Reprisal (though TBH I'll probably be swapping out her special in the long term, though Moonbow is the only one I have a steady supply of). It'll be less speedy than Smokey's build due to lacking LaD and possibly get less kills that way, but has the added benefit of being able to bait and obliterate every ranged infantry unit except Robin and Merric (who she'll need Moonbow to beat... hmm... welp I guess I know what I'm doing with mine now lol) without too much risk. 

My thinking with fury and desperation was that she could deliberately lower health without taking damage and secure double ups to try and avoid counter attacks from characters that counter attack, and reprisal would be a cheap filler (but I can probably get a Draconic Aura or Moonbow on there fairly easily) I was thinking Threaten Speed or Defense for the C since I really want that double up. I have plenty of Reciprocal Aid that I can give her. I can certainly aim for WOM but I might have an easier time getting her Escape Route 3 and combining that with low hp to give her the ability to teleport to anyone.

Any last thoughts?

1 minute ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

My thinking with fury and desperation was that she could deliberately lower health without taking damage and secure double ups to try and avoid counter attacks from characters that counter attack, and reprisal would be a cheap filler (but I can probably get a Draconic Aura or Moonbow on there fairly easily) I was thinking Threaten Speed or Defense for the C since I really want that double up. I have plenty of Reciprocal Aid that I can give her. I can certainly aim for WOM but I might have an easier time getting her Escape Route 3 and combining that with low hp to give her the ability to teleport to anyone.

Any last thoughts?

The difference between LaD 2 and 3 is too big to take a lower-leveled skill, considering your Kagero isn't even +Atk. It's expensive but Kagero is a dud unit if she can't net OHKO's when so many units can OHKO her on the counter.

If you really wanted to use Desperation, then LaD 3 still becomes the better option over Fury, but in all honesty it makes no difference at all in the outcome of her matchups. Blade mages make much better use of Desperation than Kagero does since they hit Res with the potential for more buffs under their belt.

1 minute ago, MrSmokestack said:

The difference between LaD 2 and 3 is too big to take a lower-leveled skill, considering your Kagero isn't even +Atk. It's expensive but Kagero is a dud unit if she can't net OHKO's when so many units can OHKO her on the counter.

If you really wanted to use Desperation, then LaD 3 still becomes the better option over Fury, but in all honesty it makes no difference at all in the outcome of her matchups. Blade mages make much better use of Desperation than Kagero does since they hit Res with the potential for more buffs under their belt.

I guess it might be best then if I held off on Kagero until I have more to work with. 

If I ever end up with a Leo and a Tharja I'll have the entire blade cavalry team with all colors covered, and enough Gunters for them all to have hone cavalry

Thanks for the advice! 

I think my build is a good, reasonably cheap yet still powerful alternative to the LaD build if you can't afford LaD3; with Desperation, Kagero is kinda just middling in speed, meaning she'll have trouble making good use of it... Fury/LaD and Threaten Speed can help with that, though she has to be in range of foes for Threaten Spd to mean anything which can be risky given how squishy she is. Reciprocal Aid is good on her if you want to make use of Reprisal (and both mesh especially well with Defiant Attack) and be able to raise Reprisal's damage cheaply... though TBH I think Defiant Attack + Moonbow will have better damage output (it's a shame they made Reprisal so weak... it's basically not worth using unless your unit has a huge HP pool Dx). 

DefAtk3 comes from 4* a!Tiki and Vantage comes from 4* Lon'qu, jussayin' (mine doesn't even have Vantage yet and she kicks all the asses-- not literally but she's pretty good). Ultimately ofc it's up to you, and waiting to see and decide on something later is always a good option. 

5 hours ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

Any last thoughts?

It should be noted that any non-optimal (+Atk/+Spd & =Spd/=Atk) Kagero will be inferior to an optimal Gaius (+Atk/Spd & =Spd/=Atk), so it's perfectly viable to hand her dagger to someone else if you had an unfortunate IV roll. Gaius also has way better bulk, meaning it's easier to keep him safe.

Fury is kind of pointless since L&D is basically strictly better---anyone who touches Kagero will vaporize her anyway, and you can use Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid to get under desperation if needed. (Gaius does the double thing better, though, due to better base speed.)

Edited by DehNutCase

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

It should be noted that any non-optimal (+Atk/+Spd & =Spd/=Atk) Kagero will be inferior to an optimal Gaius (+Atk/Spd & =Spd/=Atk), so it's perfectly viable to hand her dagger to someone else if you had an unfortunate IV roll. Gaius also has way better bulk, meaning it's easier to keep him safe.

Thanks for that info. Fortunately Spd and Atk are neutral.

In a few day or so I may come back looking for another clue on what to do and just throw my entire barracks out there. Maybe something good will happen?

19 minutes ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

Thanks for that info. Fortunately Spd and Atk are neutral.

In a few day or so I may come back looking for another clue on what to do and just throw my entire barracks out there. Maybe something good will happen?

It has to be +Spd/+Atk AND neutral for the other one to beat out Optimal Gaius---his Spd stat does work. That said, neutral Kagero is good enough that, if you don't care about bulk, there's no real reason to give her dagger away. (You can always merge her into a better IV one, after all.)

Any suggestions of skills for Corrin (M)?

He's +Spd -Res

Don't really have a great team atm (if team synergy is important for him), only one is optimized (Spring Chrom, +Spd -Res, Carrot Axe+/Moonbow/Shove/Fury/Renewal/Hone Atk), I really wanna use Robin (M) cause I could easily get to +10 with him with all the bad stat variations I have of him (plus anything that wrecks Takumi is <3).

Edited by crazy_man

5 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

It has to be +Spd/+Atk AND neutral for the other one to beat out Optimal Gaius---his Spd stat does work. That said, neutral Kagero is good enough that, if you don't care about bulk, there's no real reason to give her dagger away. (You can always merge her into a better IV one, after all.)

So mine should be good, she's +spd -hp. I'm definitely going with Vantage 3, as well.

5 hours ago, DevilinXIII said:

Is there a general preference for Bane on a +Atk Cherche between -Spd or-Res?

And if it's -Spd, would it be a good idea to have Brash Assault as a Slot B passive or a positioning skill like Drag Back? Thanks

The problem with Brash Assault is that you need to a, be below 50%, and b, take a hit before it actives for your free double. If the enemy is so weak that it can't 2HKO you why do you need Brash Assault for him? Lyn makes it work because desperation on her sword let's her get both hit in before the counter, but pretty much no one else can use Brash Assault properly.

I don't know about Drag Back's viability (I just kill every single threat in 1 turn), so I can't comment.

5 hours ago, DevilinXIII said:

Is there a general preference for Bane on a +Atk Cherche between -Spd or-Res?

And if it's -Spd, would it be a good idea to have Brash Assault as a Slot B passive or a positioning skill like Drag Back? Thanks

No to Brash Assault. I honestly don't think it really works on anyone except for Lyn (who is a unique case because of her prf weapon), but it definitely isn't something you really want on a Cherche considering she destroys everything anyways except for some reds (and really why are you fighting them with Cherche in the first place).

Instead, I'd go for a positioning skill, as you suggested. Either Wings of Mercy to let her warp around or Drag Back so that she gets a free retreat after killing an enemy (at least I'm fairly certain that Drag Back lets you move back one space even after killing your target, but someone correct me if I'm wrong). 

20 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Instead, I'd go for a positioning skill, as you suggested. Either Wings of Mercy to let her warp around or Drag Back so that she gets a free retreat after killing an enemy (at least I'm fairly certain that Drag Back lets you move back one space even after killing your target, but someone correct me if I'm wrong). 

It does and so does Lunge. Kind of hilarious seeing it happen when the level ends. The only times when Drag Back doesn't work is if there's something or someone blocking the way or it goes against the logic like a flyer cannot drag back a non-flyer onto mountains which now makes me question if that's the case, then does it work if you kill the unit? I mean, there's nothing stopping the flyer if nothing is behind them and the unit is already dead...

Not sure on Lunge since it's like an "offensive Swap", but I'd figure logic would be a factor e.g. flyer with lunge on a mountain vs. cavalier.

Edited by Kaden

17 hours ago, crazy_man said:

Any suggestions of skills for Corrin (M)?

He's +Spd -Res

Don't really have a great team atm (if team synergy is important for him), only one is optimized (Spring Chrom, +Spd -Res, Carrot Axe+/Moonbow/Shove/Fury/Renewal/Hone Atk), I really wanna use Robin (M) cause I could easily get to +10 with him with all the bad stat variations I have of him (plus anything that wrecks Takumi is <3).

@MrSmokestack did a pretty good analysis on Corrin here that you could check out. I think that nature is pretty good, you should be able to get some decent use out of that. (*conceals mild jellyness*)

EDIT: Aight so my wife pulled me a 5* Merric, Spd+/Def-. I'm a bit sad that his bulk is so compromised from the Def bane, but as Arcanite pointed out 35 Spd isn't too bad. Trouble is, I have no idea what to do with him. I'll want to keep his weapon (since those are expensive to change) and his proc of course, but his default passives are nothing special... Was thinking about maybe like Darting Blow or even Fury for his A-skill and I guess probably any spare Breakers I can get ahold of for B-special.... (maybe he'll be the recipient of one of my many Subakis' Swap + QR1 lol)

Any ideas for Merric, folks? In general, or specific to me (in my case anything inexpensive would be ideal, as he'll have limited opportunities for SP gain as a default 5*). 

Edited by BANRYU

Had this for a while in coming, but it's also for @BANRYU to help him out with his own Reinhardt.

Before we begin, for those who may be interested in the other unit analyses I've written, you can check them out here:

Now onto the analysis:

Background

Spoiler

In Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, Reinhardt is a mage knight hailing from Friege, one of six dukedoms in the kingdom of Grannvale on the Jugdral continent. He is both the older brother of Olwen, another mage knight who once wished nothing more than to follow in his footsteps, and a retainer to the sage Ishtar, whom he watched over since she was a young girl. In Thracia 776 and Genealogy of the Holy War, Mage Knights stand out as an elite among the elite, being swordfighters that are especially  proficient in the use of magic and staves. If that wasn't enough, they also ride a mount onto the battlefield, which gives them overwhelming offensive prescence, especially in numbers.

That latter bit is an apt summary of how Reinhardt functions as a unit in Heroes. Until his inclusion, mage cavaliers were held back by their limited offensive potential, due to their exceptionally poor stat caps. However, Reinhardt, and Olwen to a lesser extent--stood out with the use of the Prf tome, Dire Thunder. Guaranteeing a second attack in any round of combat he initiated, Reinhardt quickly stood out for his unique combination of offensive prescence and effective range, which was magnified with the help of a Dancer, especially on more open maps where he is more at liberty to ride as he pleases. In tandem with Gunter, Reinhardt proved a massive boon to the cavalry meta, which up until that point lacked a solid ranged option outside of Leo or Cecilia, who were at the time considered underwhelming at best. Even outside of a cavalry-oriented team, Reinhardt faces little competition for his niche as a player-phase nuke, being a blue unit with a wide effective range that targeted resistance, rendering many of the usual counters--namely high defense enemies such as Takumi--dud units.

Default Reinhardt

Spoiler

Neutral Stats:
38 / 32 / 23 / 27 / 25

Starting Skills:
Dire Thunder
Vantage 3
Goad Cavalry
Blazing Thunder

Unfortunately, a low base stat total is a definite weakness of cavalier-oriented teams, and Reinhardt is no exception. His stat total sits at an abysmal 145, just one point higher than the lowest in the game--144, which Olwen has. It also leaves him as a liability defensively, being ORKO'd by a variety of even red units, who have the added advantage of doubling him. Dire Thunder reduces his stat score even further, cutting his speed by 5 points and leaving him at 18, which is only eclipsed by Zephiel at 16.

Overall, Reinhardt's best stat roll is +Atk -Spd, bumping him up to 44 Atk and preventing his other stats from going to waste, low as they might be already.

On the subject of player phase nukes, Klein is oftentimes cited due to his comparable burst damage, similar range, and a color that complements his role. However, it can be argued that Reinhardt outperforms when given the same or similar resources due to targeting enemy resistance and having a wider attacking range to work with, although his lower stat total still counts against him.

As would be expected from a banner unit (several exceptions notwithstanding, of course), Reinhardt's default kit works well right out of the box, though it is most effective with a cavalry team. In general use, Spur Atk 2 should suffice. Blazing Thunder seems to play off his ability to rapidly reduce skill cooldown by way of consecutive attacks, though its far and away from being the best skill to take advantage of such a strategy. Despite Vantage generally being considered a good skill, it does not work well with a unit like Reinhardt at all, since they lack the bulk to last even one round of combat.

At 5* Lv. 40, a neutral Reinhardt ORKO's every red unit except Caeda, Eliwood, Leo, Raigh, and Tiki (Young), and among these only Raigh can KO him on the counter with his anti-cavalry tome. All live with 6 or less HP, however, and naturally this means that a +Atk roll will provide exactly the +3 damage necessary to KO them. For Reinhardts without +Atk, this can be replicated with a +4 buff from Hone, Spur, or Rally Atk, as well as Goad or Hone Cavalry. Against blue units, his matchup spread is less favorable without the appropriate buffs and a +Atk roll--and Death Blow, which will be mentioned later. Of these, only Nowi and Ursula can KO on the counter. Of the two, only Nowi can survive Reinhardt having both +Atk and a Hone buff. Lastly, when accounting for the low resistance of most green units, his matchups against them are predictably poor. Against colorless, a neutral Reinhardt cannot KO any staff user, but can ORKO every archer except Rebecca, Klein, and Setsuna. Of the dagger users, only Jakob, Felicia, and Kagero have high enough resistance to avoid being KO'd, though Felicia shrugs him off much better than the other two.

With the introduction of Skill Inheritance, Reinhardt has only improved, gaining access to lethal player phase skills such as Death Blow and the Weaponbreakers, which allow him to ORKO units that would otherwise have survived him previously. It also makes Reinhardt less exclusive to the cavalry meta than he was before. Among his inheritance options, Death Blow the single most important skill he can inherit, especially if you have a limited resource pool and need to settle with a more budget build, as it is required along with a +Atk roll to net ORKO's on the majority of blue units. In fact, with Lancebreaker and Death Blow 3 alone, a neutral, unbuffed Reinhardt can ORKO every blue unit except Nowi, Jagen, Effie, and Ninian, who all survive with 5 HP at most. Include a +Atk roll, and Reinhardt can ORKO every single blue, red, and colorless unit in the game completely by himself, with the exception of Felicia, who survives with just 10 HP.

To Review:
+Guaranteed doubleattack when attacking thanks to his Dire Thunder
+High movement combined with 2-range
+Blue
-Frail in both defenses
-Poor speed
-Low BST for arena scoring

Example Set

Spoiler

Reinhardt @ Dire Thunder (+Atk -Spd) 38 / 35 / 20 / 27 / 23
Death Blow 3
Lancebreaker 3
Spur Atk 3
Positioning Skill
Luna

Bonfire adds 13 damage (27 * 0.5)
Draconic Aura adds 15 damage (44 + 6 * 0.3)
For Luna to match the damage dealt by both skills, the target would need at least 30 resistance, which among green units includes Fae, Hawkeye, Camilla, Julia, and Sheena

This set allows Reinhardt to play to his strengths as a player phase nuke with wide range in a more general team composition. Lancebreaker is mostly a luxury, but Death Blow as mentioned previously is vital for netting many ORKO's against blue units that Reinhardt would otherwise miss; this more so the case if your Reinhardt is not +Atk. Spur Attack is listed specifically for the last slot since Reinhardt has the chain mostly complete already, which eases inheritance requirements, though this slot is flexible and can be replaced with whichever one your team needs the most. Threaten Resistance or even Savage Blow can also be considered. Like the C Passive, the Assist is also flexible. The main ones under consideration are Reposition and Draw Back, which can be used both offensively and defensively, albeit with a different set of possible movement combinations. Lastly, Luna, Bonfire, and Draconic Aura are all good fits for the special slot; being 3-CD special skills, they will proc every other round of combat. Among these, the most optimal is Draconic Aura, since it gives Reinhardt an additional edge against green units through enabling ORKO's against Chrom (Spring Festival), Beruka, Michalis, Raven, Bartre, and even Hector when it's ready. Compared to Draconic Aura, Luna misses the KO against Hector, who can then proceed to OHKO on the counter. Against Julia, she stands to KO on the counter, but Luna leaves her with 14 health as opposed to Draconic Aura's 17.

Reinhardt beating Hector through WTD is impressive, though as you can imagine it is incredibly difficult to pull off. Even a Hector +10, unless he is +Res, can be ORKO'd with a +Atk, Death Blow 3, and Hone Atk-buffed Reinhardt when Draconic Aura is ready.

For those wishing to run Horse Emblem (patent-pending), the only change that needs to be made is replacing the C Passive with Hone or Goad Cavalry. Generally, the ideal cavalry team composition has three Goad Cavalry units and one Hone Cavalry, granting the Hone Cavalry unit +12 Atk / Spd, and any of the Goad Cavalry ones +14 Atk / Spd. With 58 Atk, Reinhardt can ORKO nearly all green units with the exception of Arthur, Fae, Hawkeye, Julia, Narcian, and Sheena. 

Closing Thoughts
Overall, Reinhardt stands out as one of the most potent player-phase mages in the game, defining the cavalry meta almost single-handedly. His offensive presence, derived from a very unique and highly potent set of attributes--high movement, brave attack, and blue color all rolled into one--is unrivaled. With some skill inheritance, he has no trouble fitting into almost any team composition and doing well, though his mediocre stat total not only holds him back defensively but limits the player's potential for arena scores. Despite these two shortcomings, he is not to be underestimated, and is a threat that teams should account for, lest their arena run end prematurely by his hand and the help of a dancer.

Credit to @MaskedAmpharos for personal input including damage calculations.

Ye that does seem to be THE set for Reinhardt, much like LaD + Desperation for Nino haha. Welp, I've got some skill fodder to keep an eye out for now...

I've still got Raigh to come up with something for and I'll have covered all the dark mages in at least some capacity... And then, being as I now have one, I'll attempt to take a stab at Merric as well. 

21 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

For those wishing to run Horse Emblem (patent-pending), the only change that needs to be made is replacing the C Passive with Hone or Goad Cavalry. Generally, the ideal cavalry team composition has three Goad Cavalry units and one Hone Cavalry, granting the Hone Cavalry unit +12 Atk / Spd, and any of the Goad Cavalry ones +14 Atk / Spd. With 58 Atk, Reinhardt can ORKO nearly all green units with the exception of Arthur, Fae, Hawkeye, Julia, Narcian, and Sheena.

One thing I'm wondering of people who actually play full cavalry teams:

How often are your units actually close enough to receive the full stacks from the team's Goad Cavalry?

With a full armor team, it's easy to keep all of your units close enough to permanently have 3 stacks of Goad Armor or Ward Armor or a mix, but with a full cavalry team, simply moving a unit its full movement range will move them well out of reach of each other's Goad Cavalry range. Furthermore, keeping your blob always together negates one of cavalry's assets, which is its ability to easily split and un-split itself to take advantage of the enemy AI.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

One thing I'm wondering of people who actually play full cavalry teams:

How often are your units actually close enough to receive the full stacks from the team's Goad Cavalry?

With a full armor team, it's easy to keep all of your units close enough to permanently have 3 stacks of Goad Armor or Ward Armor or a mix, but with a full cavalry team, simply moving a unit its full movement range will move them well out of reach of each other's Goad Cavalry range. Furthermore, keeping your blob always together negates one of cavalry's assets, which is its ability to easily split and un-split itself to take advantage of the enemy AI.

Cavalry teams should be using 2 Hone and 2 Fortify cav, I think, to give the maximum amount of buffs for _Blade tomes. So only positioning before the 'kill everyone' turn matters.

Edited by DehNutCase
extraneous word

17 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Cavalry teams should be using 2 Hone and 2 Fortify cav, I think, to give the maximum amount of buffs for _Blade tomes. So only positioning before the 'kill everyone' turn matters.

And if you're running physical cavalry (or Dire Thunder) instead of magical cavalry?

Edited by Ice Dragon