Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

5 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I just drew a repeat 5-star Cordelia. This means I have someone with both Brave Lance+ and Galeforce. I have a +Atk/-Def Effie that would enjoy that lance, but not passing on Galeforce sounds like a waste. I can give both to Effie anyway, but I'm trying to find what other options I have.

So, is there any unit out there that would make particularly good use of Galeforce? Klein and Reinhardt sound like they would, but I don't see it as a common skill suggestion.

Just give both to Effie. Not that she'd ever use it of course, but the extra SP contributes to arena scoring if you use Effie regularly on your team.

Keep in mind you also need to inherit Night Sky --> Astra if you do this.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Just give both to Effie. Not that she'd ever use it of course, but the extra SP contributes to arena scoring if you use Effie regularly on your team.

Keep in mind you also need to inherit Night Sky --> Astra if you do this.

I actually drew Effie very recently, as a 4-star. I'm still training her alongside a +Atk Reinhardt I also drew. I have the Armour&Horse teams to support either (and the armour team certainly needs her), but they're on the back burner for now.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more a Brave Lance & Galeforce Effie intrigues me. I'd be up to exploring that uncharted territory.

(I'm already aware of the Astra thing, I have a spare Virion. Thanks for the reminder, anyway)

Edited by Jonnas

37 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I actually drew Effie very recently, as a 4-star. I'm still training her alongside a +Atk Reinhardt I also drew. I have the Armour&Horse teams to support either (and the armour team certainly needs her), but they're on the back burner for now.

Truth be told, the more I think about it, the more a Brave Lance & Galeforce Effie intrigues me. I'd be up to exploring that uncharted territory.

(I'm already aware of the Astra thing, I have a spare Virion. Thanks for the reminder, anyway)

For cavalry, Camus, Peri, and Roderick would have a great time devouring Cordelia. Abel can also use Galeforce, but he comes with Brave Lance+ already, so giving him Galeforce feels like a waste of a good weapon in my opinion.

If your pony team can handle the monthly cavalry quests with no problem, investing in your armor team for the extra Orb from the armor quest is a good idea. Effie, Hector, and Zephiel together makes the armor quest far more bearable.

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

So, is there any unit out there that would make particularly good use of Galeforce? Klein and Reinhardt sound like they would, but I don't see it as a common skill suggestion.

That's because Galeforce cannot be taught to ranged units.

The biggest irony of galeforce is probably the fact that its best user already has it. (Cordelia stronk.)

Galeforce is used on units that either: A, only want the special slot for score related reasons, or B, charge specials damn quickly while not relying on them for KOs.

Cordelia is actually in the B group, having high speed to charge specials absurdly fast thanks to brave weapon, as well as sky high attack to have great matchup spread even if the special doesn't do anything. Someone like heavy blade, -breaker Chrom might also be able to use it decently, ORKOing and instantly activating galeforce due to Atk comparison, but that's very niche.

Lucina and about 50 other sword users can probably run a brave sword, galeforce build well, and in green basically only Raven, Legion, and Minerva/Camilla in flier emblem can run galeforce okay.

Edit: Brave-cavalry is also decent, but Peri, who happens to be the strongest mix-offensive cav at the moment, suffers from -2/-2 compared to Cordelia, while also needing to kill a Cordelia for Galeforce. Not-worth.jpg

Edited by DehNutCase

okay so not very on-topic with the current discussion, but after running some calcs I think I've come up with the best builds for Summer Tiki.

1) Melon Buster

• +Spd/-Res
  • Melon Smasher+ / Silver Axe + / Legion's Axe+ | Swap / Repo | Draconic Aura / Bonfire | Fury 3 | Axebreaker 3 | x | Spd+1 seal
  • reaches a fairly solid speed tier of 37, which is pretty hard to outspeed (mostly done by the glassy mages and fast swords, both of whom she wants to avoid anyway)
  • Breath of Life support recommended if running Melon Smasher to attempt to maintain the weapon's buffs; when not at full health, Silver/Legion's axes offer similar performance (running with a healer is probably a good idea either way to maintain the melon's buffs)
  • versatile between offense and defense, being capable of functioning pretty well on either phase, something most non-TA axes can't boast

2) Brave Bomber

• +Atk/-Spd or -Res
  • Brave Axe+ | x | Draconic Aura | Death Blow 3 | Axebreaker 3 | Threaten Def 3 | Atk+1 seal
  • outperformed by Bartre running the same set, but otherwise this build offers the highest kill count that this unit can achieve (calc'd against Fury builds and all natures)

3) Budget Basher

• (default skills) + [Harsh Command + Hit and Run] / [Reposition + Knock Back] / [Reciprocal Aid + Drag Back]
  • default skills are pretty synergetic already, so inheriting skills from just one unit (Clair, Barst, or Donnel respectively) lets her fill out her blank skill slots efficiently with minimal unit/feather expenditure
Edited by BANRYU

15 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

That's because Galeforce cannot be taught to ranged units.

Huh, just tried doing it, and true enough, they can't learn it. Weird limitation, I wonder why is it in place.

19 hours ago, XRay said:

For cavalry, Camus, Peri, and Roderick would have a great time devouring Cordelia. Abel can also use Galeforce, but he comes with Brave Lance+ already, so giving him Galeforce feels like a waste of a good weapon in my opinion.

If your pony team can handle the monthly cavalry quests with no problem, investing in your armor team for the extra Orb from the armor quest is a good idea. Effie, Hector, and Zephiel together makes the armor quest far more bearable.

15 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

The biggest irony of galeforce is probably the fact that its best user already has it. (Cordelia stronk.)

Galeforce is used on units that either: A, only want the special slot for score related reasons, or B, charge specials damn quickly while not relying on them for KOs.

Cordelia is actually in the B group, having high speed to charge specials absurdly fast thanks to brave weapon, as well as sky high attack to have great matchup spread even if the special doesn't do anything. Someone like heavy blade, -breaker Chrom might also be able to use it decently, ORKOing and instantly activating galeforce due to Atk comparison, but that's very niche.

Lucina and about 50 other sword users can probably run a brave sword, galeforce build well, and in green basically only Raven, Legion, and Minerva/Camilla in flier emblem can run galeforce okay.

Edit: Brave-cavalry is also decent, but Peri, who happens to be the strongest mix-offensive cav at the moment, suffers from -2/-2 compared to Cordelia, while also needing to kill a Cordelia for Galeforce. Not-worth.jpg

Thanks for the tips. Taking these into consideration, I'm thinking Legion, Raven and Hinoka are the only units I have that would make best use of Galeforce. The first two I don't use much, and Hinoka would turn into a second Cordelia.

All things considered, I think I'll go with Effie, anyway. She gains the most from that Brave Lance+, and I like the idea of making Galeforce work on an unconventional character. It could work well with a dancer on the team, as well as making her better in Tempest Trials.

27 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Huh, just tried doing it, and true enough, they can't learn it. Weird limitation, I wonder why is it in place.

Maybe, it's because it because of the many BS builds that would be made like Reinhardt and Bridelia.

Spoiler

IK I sound rude, sorry 'bout that.

3 hours ago, BANRYU said:

3) Budget Basher

• (default skills) + [Harsh Command + Hit and Run] / [Reposition + Knock Back] / [Reciprocal Aid + Drag Back]
  • default skills are pretty synergetic already, so inheriting skills from just one unit (Clair, Barst, or Donnel respectively) lets her fill out her blank skill slots efficiently with minimal unit/feather expenditure

None of those sound good at all. A much better budget build is Quick Riposte 2 + Swap, which she can get from one 4* Subaki. QR works really well in conjunction with her native Close Def, since they're both defense phase skills. Plus, Swap is a nice positioning skill for someone who wants to be on the front lines.

Also, I don't see much reasoning for why she should have any of those skills? Most of them seem like a waste of a slot. Harsh Command? That has really limited utility, especially for an infantry unit. For Reciprocal Aid, her HP pool is really low, so it's much less useful than it could be. Reposition is a great assist skill, but why does she want Knock Back? Or, for that matter, why Drag Back or Hit and Run? These don't seem very useful for her.

3 hours ago, Astellius said:

None of those sound good at all. A much better budget build is Quick Riposte 2 + Swap, which she can get from one 4* Subaki. QR works really well in conjunction with her native Close Def, since they're both defense phase skills. Plus, Swap is a nice positioning skill for someone who wants to be on the front lines.

Also, I don't see much reasoning for why she should have any of those skills? Most of them seem like a waste of a slot. Harsh Command? That has really limited utility, especially for an infantry unit. For Reciprocal Aid, her HP pool is really low, so it's much less useful than it could be. Reposition is a great assist skill, but why does she want Knock Back? Or, for that matter, why Drag Back or Hit and Run? These don't seem very useful for her.

Fair 'nuff ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My swan song on the Fury banner got me a [+Res, −Spd] Eldigan. Not the best asset and flaws in any way but hey.
Fury is fine on him, right? Then for B the ideal is QR? Failing that (and I am already failing that), does Vantage work well?
C should be either Hone or Fortify Cav, preferable Hone? Swap for an assist, Bonfire (or even Ignis) for special?

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

My swan song on the Fury banner got me a [+Res, −Spd] Eldigan. Not the best asset and flaws in any way but hey.
Fury is fine on him, right? Then for B the ideal is QR? Failing that (and I am already failing that), does Vantage work well?
C should be either Hone or Fortify Cav, preferable Hone? Swap for an assist, Bonfire (or even Ignis) for special?

That sounds reasonable. Hone or Fortify depends on his teammates.

15 hours ago, Astellius said:

...after some thought... a counterpoint to this: 

Subaki is a unit in high demand for that skill combination. For a F2player who may or may not be able to pull many or any Subaki, they only have the 2 from the free daily events to work with, and thus may wish to use them on higher-priority SI recipients-- that being the case, less valuable options are the ones suggested for the build (if you want to make her good, one of the other two sets is going to be downright better).

I won't contest that Swap + QR is definitely the most EFFECTIVE combination of skills to give her (it definitely is), but depending on the player it may not always be the most practical option. Thus, I would say Subaki should be added as the main desired option for the build, but not replace the others. 

In the vein of using incomplete skills, I suppose Hana (Rally Atk + Obstruct 2), Oboro (Rally Def + Seal Def 2), and Cecilia (Rally Res + Escape Route 2) would all also be viable options for 3* inheritance completers for that Tiki. On that note, maybe Clair should be removed given as she's a 4* pull (and Harsh Command is indeed not very useful for infantry unless you rely on blade tomers I guess). 

On 6/12/2017 at 5:29 PM, TheTuckingFypo said:

I've got this:

@Rezzy @MrSmokestack @Arcanite

Hide contents

Azama

43/21/26/35/25 (-atk w/Pain equipped)
43/24/23/35/25 (-spd w/Pain equipped)

+Def/-Atk or -Spd

Weapon: Pain 
Assist: Rehabilitate
Special: Imbue
Passive A: Distant Def 3
Passive B: Live to Serve 3
Passive C: Threaten Attack 3/Savage Blow 3

Monks do not kill. Monks do not pick fights. They tank, heal others and let them do the work for him. Azama does exactly this with this build. +DEF nature, Distant Def 3 are necessary to ensure that no one can kill him if they somehow manage to reach him (which they shouldn't be able to anyways). With the exceptions of +Atk Kagero and +Atk Celica, the rest of the cast cannot leave a big enough dent on him to kill (without Skill Inheritance). This would be super irritating for his opponents, since on his turn, he can fully patch up not only his teammates, but also himself with either Martyr/Rehabilitate and Live to Serve. 

Threaten Attack 3 is the most flexible thing in this build, but since it comes in Azama's natural set, it'll lighten SP costs, and is thus recommended.

Edit: Fixed errors and added suggestions made out by @Arcanite and @Ice Dragon

I just want to add an update to this build. 

1. Negate the -SPD.
2. While the build calls for +Def/-Atk, +Res/-Atk is also acceptable, provided you give Azama either the HP+3 or Squad Ace A 1 Seal. Not having one of those on him results in a 1RKO by (neutral) Kagero (she deals 44 dmg).
3. Attack Ploy 3 is also a viable C slot option.

53 minutes ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

1. Negate the -SPD.
2. While the build calls for +Def/-Atk, +Res/-Atk is also acceptable, provided you give Azama either the HP+3 or Squad Ace A 1 Seal. Not having one of those on him results in a 1RKO by (neutral) Kagero (she deals 44 dmg).

A small addition: I wonder if Fortress Defense is worthy of being mentioned as a more budget-friendly option? It offers less Def than Distant Def does certainly, but Lukas is more liable to show up than Celica and its effects work during the rare occasions if/when Azama decides to initiate the attack. If anyone can take the hit to Atk and not particularly care, it's Azama. 

3 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

1. Negate the -SPD.

If you're going with bait monk, you're better off with Martyr.

My set is as follows:

Boon/Bane: +Spd/-Atk
Weapon: Pain (because let's face it, -Atk isn't killing anything)
Assist: Martyr
A slot: Speed +3 (yes I am insane)
B slot: Renewal 2
C slot: Threaten Atk 2
S slot: HP +3

While Renewal/Martyr sort-of clash, the former is there as a backup, in case I don't have any valid heal targets.  Speed +3 is there to bump his Speed up to 33, which means the only characters that can naturally double him are Anna, Athena, and Lon'qu (skills not included, otherwise Tharja would be here, too).   Kagero is an issue, along with some of the more creative SI teams (Death Blow Reinhardt on Horse Emblem).  Otherwise, he'll survive, and once he heals someone, he's ready to take another hit.  This is my current healer on Tempest Trials, and he's one of the last ones to go down.  I've had him do stupid things like tank the last person, while handing out Martyr-empowered heals.

Any recommendations on a B-slot for julia, I see G-tombreaker is recommended for the likes of nino etc but I dont really have an issue, and Tharja tends to take care of green units for me, I have fury for her A slot, and Breath of life on her C slot (helps with tempest trials) -open to suggestions

Is Furynewal Eldigan a viable build? I just got a Fae and I don't know who it give her to. Here's what I plan, tell me if something is off.

FURYNEWAL ELDIGAN!

Weapon : Mystiltainn

Assist : Rally Defense

Special : Ignis

A Slot : Fury 3

B Slot : Renewal 3

C Slot : Spur Atk 3

IVs : +Atk, -Res, +Def, -Res

Edited by InigoPadalin

17 minutes ago, Marcodian_Elite said:

Any recommendations on a B-slot for julia, I see G-tombreaker is recommended for the likes of nino etc but I dont really have an issue, and Tharja tends to take care of green units for me, I have fury for her A slot, and Breath of life on her C slot (helps with tempest trials) -open to suggestions

Its pretty much G-Tomebreaker or WoM. G-Tomebreaker gives her an advantage against any green mage not running it (or more likely, protects her from other green mages who are most likely running it). WoM is a standard utility option for mages if you don't want to run a breaker.

Lancebreaker and Axebreaker aren't useful for her as those units are mostly low res anyways, B-Tomebreaker isn't super useful (most common blue mage by far is Reinhardt who ain't doubling her). Nowhere close to having enough speed for Desperation, doesn't really want Vantage, can't use movement B passives as a mage, QR is rarely going to be useful for her. Renewal is another option I guess? Guard if you wanted to get fancy?

G-Tomebreaker is often ran because of a lack of better option really.

36 minutes ago, Marcodian_Elite said:

like Niddo said Wings of Mercy is a pretty good option for units who don't need their B-slot for improving matchups. Renewal, Vantage, Escape Route, and (IDK how her speed is so depending on that I guess) possibly Watersweep...?? might be decent options for her depending on what you have available.

...probably not watersweep tho

16 minutes ago, InigoPadalin said:

Is Furynewal Eldigan a viable build? I just got a Fae and I don't know who it give her to. Here's what I plan, tell me if something is off.

That build seems fine though I question if it's the BEST thing he can do. This might just be me projecting since I have no Faes and lots of things I'd want Renewal on, but I'd definitely suggest waiting to SI her off if you're unsure haha. 

1 hour ago, Marcodian_Elite said:

Wings of Mercy, G Tomebreaker, Bowbreaker, and Quick Riposte are all solid B options depending on what you want Julia to check. Archers can be fairly troublesome for how slow Julia is, but so long as she isn't OHKO'd outright Bowbreaker turns the matchup on its head when attacking on Player Phase. I'd still use G Tomebreaker for how prevalent green mages are though, it's that good.

47 minutes ago, InigoPadalin said:

FURYNEWAL ELDIGAN!

Weapon : Mystiltainn

Assist : Rally Defense

Special : Ignis

A Slot : Fury 3

B Slot : Renewal 3

C Slot : Spur Atk 3

IVs : +Atk, -Res, +Def, -Res

I'll be frank, this isn't very good because it doesn't play to Eldigan's strengths. Besides, arena matches go by quickly enough that the healing from Renewal doesn't matter most of the time. Also, rally skills are rare outside of dedicated buffing units like Ephraim or Eirika, mainly because positioning assists are siginifiantly more useful.

Eldigan does have one excellent enemy phase build I can offer though.

Spoiler

-Mystletainn

-Swap

-Ignis

-Distant Counter / Fury 3 / Triangle Adept 3

-Quick Riposte 3

-Hone Cavalry / Hone Skill / Spur Skill

-Quick Pulse

With the Quick Pulse sacred seal, Ignis CD drops to 2, which makes it highly spammable on enemy phase with Quick Riposte, as it will always activate in every round of combat. Additionally, getting Eldigan into position as soon as possible is why we run Swap; we want Eldigan taking hits, not help his allies take hits better.

Distant Counter is whale/10 skill though so I added Fury and Triangle Adept as alternatives, but DC really is the best passive for this build.

Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, BANRYU said:

A small addition: I wonder if Fortress Defense is worthy of being mentioned as a more budget-friendly option? It offers less Def than Distant Def does certainly, but Lukas is more liable to show up than Celica and its effects work during the rare occasions if/when Azama decides to initiate the attack. If anyone can take the hit to Atk and not particularly care, it's Azama. 

True. Though, ironically, it allows Celica (and, Linde, with him having a +Def/-Atk nature) to 1RKO him. I guess it's viable in the arena, since Celica shouldn't be in Arena defense (the AI fucks her up real bad from what I've seen).

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

If you're going with bait monk, you're better off with Martyr.

My set is as follows:

Boon/Bane: +Spd/-Atk
Weapon: Pain (because let's face it, -Atk isn't killing anything)
Assist: Martyr
A slot: Speed +3 (yes I am insane)
B slot: Renewal 2
C slot: Threaten Atk 2
S slot: HP +3

While Renewal/Martyr sort-of clash, the former is there as a backup, in case I don't have any valid heal targets.  Speed +3 is there to bump his Speed up to 33, which means the only characters that can naturally double him are Anna, Athena, and Lon'qu (skills not included, otherwise Tharja would be here, too).   Kagero is an issue, along with some of the more creative SI teams (Death Blow Reinhardt on Horse Emblem).  Otherwise, he'll survive, and once he heals someone, he's ready to take another hit.  This is my current healer on Tempest Trials, and he's one of the last ones to go down.  I've had him do stupid things like tank the last person, while handing out Martyr-empowered heals.

I'm not going bait monk. I'm going full support defensive healer. That's also really hard to kill. If he is somehow in range. 

Though, I really like your build there. 

Spoiler

Azama

Distant Defense 3 Stats
43/21/26/35/25 (+def)
43/21/26/32/28 (+res)

Fortress Defense 3 Stats
43/18/26/40/25 (+def)
43/18/26/37/29 (+res)

+Def/-Atk or +Res/-Atk

Weapon: Pain 
Assist: Rehabilitate/Martyr
Passive A: Distant Def 3/Fortress Def 3
Passive B: Live to Serve 3
Passive C: Threaten Attack 3/Savage Blow 3/Attack Ploy 3
Sacred Seal: HP +3 or Squad Ace A 1 (43 ---> 46 HP)

Monks do not kill. Monks do not pick fights. They tank, heal others and let them do the work for him. Azama does exactly this with this build. +DEF nature, Distant Def 3 are necessary to ensure that no one can kill him if they somehow manage to reach him (which they shouldn't be able to anyways). With the exceptions of +Atk Kagero and +Atk Celica, the rest of the cast cannot leave a big enough dent on him to kill (without Skill Inheritance). This would be super irritating for his opponents, since on his turn, he can fully patch up not only his teammates, but also himself with either Martyr/Rehabilitate and Live to Serve. This build is also viable with a +Res/-Atk nature, but requires Azama to hold the HP +3 or Squad Ace A 1 Seal to prevent Kagero from getting a ORKO on him.

Fotress Defense 3 can also be used as a budget friendlier option. However, it ironically opens up a ORKO on him from Celica (and depending on your nature, Linde as well).

Threaten Attack 3 is the most flexible thing in this build, but since it comes in Azama's natural set, it'll lighten SP costs, and is thus recommended. 

Updated with suggestions from @Arcanite @Ice Dragon @BANRYU and @eclipse

I guess the only thing I really need now is a name for this build XD.

I'm currently trying to find a viable candidate for Close Def 3, no luck thus far.

1 hour ago, Marcodian_Elite said:

42 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

Its pretty much G-Tomebreaker or WoM. G-Tomebreaker gives her an advantage against any green mage not running it (or more likely, protects her from other green mages who are most likely running it). WoM is a standard utility option for mages if you don't want to run a breaker.

Lancebreaker and Axebreaker aren't useful for her as those units are mostly low res anyways, B-Tomebreaker isn't super useful (most common blue mage by far is Reinhardt who ain't doubling her). Nowhere close to having enough speed for Desperation, doesn't really want Vantage, can't use movement B passives as a mage, QR is rarely going to be useful for her. Renewal is another option I guess? Guard if you wanted to get fancy?

G-Tomebreaker is often ran because of a lack of better option really.

Quick Riposte works if you don't need her to fight opposing green mages. There are a lot of fast blue mages out there, and most of them have enough magic bulk at neutral to be iffy one-hit kills, especially so if merged. It also gives her a double attack against any green mages without G Tomebreaker (because Nino and Cecilia typically don't use G Tomebreaker).

Julia misses the one-round kill on Fury Ephraim and Sharena if she fails to double attack, which is a good case for Lancebreaker if Ephraim or Sharena is giving you problems. Axebreaker gives her a guaranteed double attack for a kill against Hector, and G Tomebreaker Hector is not uncommon from my experience.

Bowbreaker allows her to survive a round of combat against Firesweep Bow+ Cordelia and guarantees a one-round kill on player phase against any bow user, if that's giving you any trouble.

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

With the Quick Pulse sacred seal, Ignis CD drops to 2, which makes it highly spammable on enemy phase with Quick Riposte, as it will always activate in every round of combat. Additionally, getting Eldigan into position as soon as possible is why we run Swap; we want Eldigan taking hits, not help his allies take hits better.

Quickened Pulse is first turn only. Eldigan will activate Ignis on the first round of combat, but it will have its normal 3 cooldown after that, meaning it won't activate on the second round of combat unless he gets double attacked.