Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

1 minute ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Personally I don't see a problem with only being good against one color if you also do really, really well against that one color (also if your team happens to handle everything well as is except for that one color). That said, as much as I love Titania, I do have to wonder how worth it would be to run her on a cavalry team when you already have Blade Cecilia to handle blues. 

Also Hectors don't come cheap. 

Having a delete button for blues is a bit different from having a person who takes 0 damage from blues. Even with T-Adept a lot of the dangerous blues can force their way through offensive checks. A defensive check, on the other hand, just sits there while they bait the blues out of position and either counter-kills or makes it easy for the team to safely kill them.

I run an ultra-aggressive lineup, and, while Navarre's dead weight (10 dmg to L&D Lucina lol) is a big part of why the 690+ tier is very annoying to be in, another part is that none of my units can 'lure' safely, meaning positioning and AI movement prediction becomes very unforgiving.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good thing about the load of hot garbage I pulled today was that I was able to send home enough units to 5-star my Cecilia(sticking with Gronnraven +).  My question now is what B-skill to give her. Escape Route seems handy enough, but I wonder about G Tomebreaker for the many Ninos and Julias I'd have to deal with. Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, Eridras said:

The only good thing about the load of hot garbage I pulled today was that I was able to send home enough units to 5-star my Cecilia(sticking with Gronnraven +).  My question now is what B-skill to give her. Escape Route seems handy enough, but I wonder about G Tomebreaker for the many Ninos and Julias I'd have to deal with. Or any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

Since IIRC Cecilia is kind of on the slower side, she'd probably appreciate GTB to deal with Ninos and such. Escape Route is a good option to use while you feel it out and Wings of Mercy is another decent such option, but GTB sounds like a pretty good deal (though TBH I don't know if it would help with Julia given how high her Res is). 

29 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

though TBH I don't know if it would help with Julia given how high her Res is

Nino with a bit of buff-stack 2HKOs her. Other than that, it allows her to ORKO green tomes so you don't have to spend 2 phases dealing with them. She's strong, but not usually OHKO green mages strong.

My Julia would not have been able to carry my arena team for three weeks straight without it...the only problem is when you run into an enemy Nino with G Tomebreaker (yeah, some people are weird/evil and put that on their defense team. Edit: I don't think I've seen one in a while though), or something similar.

Edit 2: thought we were discussing Julia's matchups...whoops. Cecilia should be ok with it...I'd personally keep Escape Route though.

Edit 3 (Escape Route justification): It doesn't really take much in the way of buff-stack for Nino to OHKO Cecilia, unless you're running Fortify Cavalry. Like Banryu said (and I misinterpreted...sorry again), Julia's HP & Res are so high that -raven Cecilia doesn't really take much out of her health bar, at least compared with a sword. Or most things physical, really. Spring Princess Camillas, as far as I've seen, are pretty likely to be running G Tomebreaker themselves, and with Hone Fliers they'll double & KO Cecilia unless she's got a Cavalry buff on her.

On the other hand, Escape Route goes pretty well with her kit. Gronnraven lets her trade well with colorless foes, but it really doesn't take much to put her below half HP. At that point, it'd be nice to get the extra movement options. Escape Route → positioning assist, to extend the get-out-of-danger utility to Cecilia's teammates, or Escape Route → smack something, which is a bit more straightforward, come to mind.

Edited by LordFrigid

@BANRYU, @LordFrigid, thanks for the advice. Escape Route probably is the safest choice. I believe G Tomebreaker lets Cecilia ORKO a G Tomebreaker-less Nino, but that feels too specific to be of much use, now that I think about it. I do have Eldigan for my green mage-slaying needs. 

Edited by Eridras
Misspelling.

1 hour ago, Aera said:

So is it worth it to use Quick Riposte 3? Or is it useless? I want to use it on someone like Nowi (+Atk, -Spd), but I wasn't sure if Quick Riposte 2 or 3 would suffice...

For Arena Score, 3 will give you about 10 more points than 2. Utility wise, 2 is good enough. I want 3 to get a better score but I don't want to invest 4 weeks of work (20k feathers) for it. :(

So with my A-team locked down and at max level, with just some SP to fully unlock their skills, I'm training up a bunch of other units for future use.

Currently it's my 5* Fae, 4* Subaki, 4* Lilina and 4* Jeorge.

For Subaki, I'm going with the ultimate facetanking set (at least on defense) with Swap, Armored Blow, Renewal, and some C skill (probably gonna be either a defense or resistance buff, but I may go for an attack buff), and Glowing Ember/Bonfire. Debating on if Swordbreaker would be a good fit on him, just to facetank and destroy red swords even more than he already does.

Fae is going for a juggernaut/defensive build. Light Breath, Daylight/Noontime, Draw Back, some A skill (suggestions would be good), Axebreaker to counter any Hectors, and some C skill (maybe an attack buff?) I just might sacrifice my 4* Nowi to give her Lightning Breath for that built in distant counter, but I'm unsure. Fae's biggest weakness that I can see is that she's a green around all these swordlords, but I can run Subaki alongside her to get rid of them. She does make an excellent counter to lances and blue mages. My Fae's stats far exceed my Nowi's, and she's a whole rarity level up on her. I'm not 100% certain about that Axebreaker, but I don't really have any other ideas other than just slapping Renewal on her to help her tanking abilities.

I still don't know what skillsets I want to put onto Lilina and Jeorge. I've given my Lilina Glacies and Threaten Res 3, but I can't decide on A or B skills to put on her. Jeorge doesn't have any skills at 600+ SP to spend, lol. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think you're probably fine having Fae just concentrate on taking on blues and greens. Subaki is generally tanky enough that not only does he shut down reds, but he can stall blues in case you run into a situation that would otherwise put Fae in range of a red. Lilina can also contribute against other reds as necessary, And that's before even considering that you've got Jeorge as flex. So, yeah, I think your skill choices should be fine with your coverage. If you give Fae Lightning Breath, I'd definitely recommend bringing Atk buffs to get the most out of your built-in Distant Counter.

So, in my quest for Ike (that completely failed despite a significant orb investment), aside from the questionable Soren I've acquired (still leaning toward fielding him as a raven tank, even if blade would give him a bit more utility and let him at least put out one big, heavy hit), I got a 4* +Atk/-Def Eirika. Given that Nino is basically the star murderer of my team, this is the one pull that really had me salivating (not in that way, don't be disgusting :P:). She'd basically be replacing Sharena once the next season starts (as much as it pains me, but Sharena's just not as good a buffer and can't get merges; at least, as my only super strong lance, she'll still have a spot in my non-Arena teams). For long-time Eirika users, is there any strong argument for running something other than Fury 3 for her A? I'm probably gonna run Swordbreaker 2 (would like 3, but never pulled an Abel) in case she needs to face check a red to protect Nino and said red is sporting Swordbreaker (which is almost every sword Lord I see at my score) and... I guess Moonbow for her special (she's unlikely to fight enough to charge the other stuff). Otherwise, fairly standard buff build, with Rally Res instead of Def because Nowi's bringing Fortify Def and sometimes I really do need that +4 Res. I guess TA3 would make her completely flatten Hector and be able to bait Nino/Julia/Spring Camilla with no fear, but that seems maybe overly niche when Fury 3 gets her something like 30 more wins (granted, I haven't scrutinized just who the wins are against too closely). On the other hand, I could maybe afford to go that route when Nowi's stomping the crap out of reds and still has enough bulk to face check a blue that Nino can't murder just yet.

If it helps, her default teammates (I might swap things up if the bonus character really clashes with the rest of the team comp) are going to be:

• Nowi +1 (+Atk, -HP) - Reposition, Bonfire, TA3, Vantage 3, Fort Def 3, Spd +1 Seal
  • Nino (+Spd, -Def) - Draw Back, Draconic Aura, Fury 3, Desperation 3, Hone Atk 3, HP +3 Seal

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

For Subaki, I'm going with the ultimate facetanking set (at least on defense) with Swap, Armored Blow, Renewal, and some C skill (probably gonna be either a defense or resistance buff, but I may go for an attack buff), and Glowing Ember/Bonfire. Debating on if Swordbreaker would be a good fit on him, just to facetank and destroy red swords even more than he already does.

If you're going for a tanking build for Subaki, then why are you getting rid of his default Quick Riposte and giving him Armored Blow which only works if he's attacking? You'd be better off giving him Attack +3 to make his hits stronger, Defense +3 to make him even tankier, or Fury to increase everything at the cost of damage after every battle which could drop him below Quick Riposte's range if you take too long.

Subaki's Quick Riposte lets him counter any melee unit if they hit him regardless of they're faster than him or not. So, if they hit him twice, he hits back twice and if he's faster, then they hit once, he hits twice. Swordbreaker would be similar, except it would be limited to sword units and prevents them from following up.

By default, Subaki's skills are already geared towards tanking. Yes, he's fast enough to double units naturally, but he can just be a passive wall, especially to sword units. All he really needs is a special like Bonfire that uses his high defense stat, perhaps Killer Lance if you want to activate Bonfire after every battle, and of course, a different A-skill, and a C-skill which depends on what you want him to support.

Edited by Kaden

7 hours ago, Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi said:

For long-time Eirika users, is there any strong argument for running something other than Fury 3 for her A? I'm probably gonna run Swordbreaker 2 (would like 3, but never pulled an Abel) in case she needs to face check a red to protect Nino and said red is sporting Swordbreaker (which is almost every sword Lord I see at my score) and... I guess Moonbow for her special (she's unlikely to fight enough to charge the other stuff). Otherwise, fairly standard buff build, with Rally Res instead of Def because Nowi's bringing Fortify Def and sometimes I really do need that +4 Res.

That set (Fury, Swordbreaker, Moonbow, Rally Resistance) looks solid to me; this coming from the perspective of someone who actually runs the team comp you mentioned at the end there, albeit with different skill sets. I use Fury on mine (+Atk/-HP) as well, and I've found that she can actually bait all of those green mages even without Triangle Adept, except maybe a Nino that doubles her. Heck, I even had her eat a full cavalry buff Gronnblade/Fury Cecilia (5*, lv. 40 +6...I don't record boons & banes, unfortunately) shot once, for reference. It hurts a lot more, sure, but she can do it if you need her to. I don't think I'd trade Fury for anything other than Distant Counter in an infinite resource world, but even that choice honestly comes down to my playstyle.

Out of curiosity, what Swordbreaker sword units are you running into? I've got Renewal on her, and have found that she can actually take a round with Swordbreaker Eirika, but if you're running into higher Atk swords like Lucina, then yeah, Swordbreaker is probably the better call. Oddly enough, I rarely see Lucina anymore...hm.

Edited by LordFrigid

On 4/8/2017 at 1:16 AM, Phoenix_Kensai said:

Well, I just spent 20,000 feathers on a spare Palla so I could pass along Wings of Mercy 3 to Hector.

...I don't know if that was a good investment. Maybe 2 would have been fine.

Oh well. He desperately needs mobility, at least, and it seemed like a good skill.

Well, you could've just be patient and wait for a 4* Cain, or just the Wings of Mercy 2.

20k feathers is almost always better spent on units you want them to stay, instead of inherited.
But still, what's done is done then. I hope you can make Hector your ultimate armored unit! :)

19 hours ago, Aera said:

So is it worth it to use Quick Riposte 3? Or is it useless? I want to use it on someone like Nowi (+Atk, -Spd), but I wasn't sure if Quick Riposte 2 or 3 would suffice...

For Quick Riposte, here's a comparison:

if you only use Quick Riposte 1, something like a Savage Blow 3 hit on your unit... or even Fury 3 can already shut down your Quick Riposte. You can still use it, but you have to be wary! Essentially any chip damage is a threat to this skill.

Quick Riposte 2 fixes the problem from 1, and makes it consistently viable. I think this is the best one as you'll be able to proc it even after taking a minor chip damage.

Quick Riposte 3 only makes it more consistent (Like, taking a hit from Poison Strike as a Fury unit?) and still able to proc it. Problem is, this version is only available to 5* units, so it's almost never worth the inheritance.

Edited by Lyrai

1 hour ago, LordFrigid said:

That set (Fury, Swordbreaker, Moonbow, Rally Resistance) looks solid to me; this coming from the perspective of someone who actually runs the team comp you mentioned at the end there, albeit with different skill sets. I use Fury on mine (+Atk/-HP) as well, and I've found that she can actually bait all of those green mages even without Triangle Adept, except maybe a Nino that doubles her. Heck, I even had her eat a full cavalry buff Gronnblade/Fury Cecilia (5*, lv. 40 +6...I don't record boons & banes, unfortunately) shot once, for reference. It hurts a lot more, sure, but she can do it if you need her to. I don't think I'd trade Fury for anything other than Distant Counter in an infinite resource world, but even that choice honestly comes down to my playstyle.

Out of curiosity, what Swordbreaker sword units are you running into? I've got Renewal on her, and have found that she can actually take a round with Swordbreaker Eirika, but if you're running into higher Atk swords like Lucina, then yeah, Swordbreaker is probably the better call. Oddly enough, I rarely see Lucina anymore...hm.

Great, thanks. Ninos with 41+ Spd and Flier Emblem Spring Camilla are what I was thinking of when it came to TA3. Fury 3 is definitely sounding even more attractive than before, though, so I think I'll go with that.

As for enemy Swordbreakers, Lucina, Eldigan and other Eirikas. I've also seen a Fir and a Palla with it lately, but those are much more fringe. The one one I typically don't see it on is Ryoma, since they all love their Vantage. I think this difference might be due to the gap in score ranges, since I'm usually a good 70 points behind you.

38 minutes ago, Lyrai said:

20k feathers is always better spent on units you want them to stay, instead of inherited.

I would say this is a very broad statement to make that isn't entirely true.  Y!Tiki, for example, wants Lightning Breath+, which is a 5-star only weapon.  Blade+ tomes (especially Blarblade+, because Odin is not nearly as good as other blue mages that you'd want to use it on) are very much worth the feathers.

So while that statement may work on skills due to most skills being available on someone at 4-stars (or likely will eventually become available on a 4-star), weapons are a definite exception.

1 minute ago, GinRei said:

I would say this is a very broad statement to make that isn't entirely true.  Y!Tiki, for example, wants Lightning Breath+, which is a 5-star only weapon.  Blade+ tomes (especially Blarblade+, because Odin is not nearly as good as other blue mages that you'd want to use it on) are very much worth the feathers.

So while that statement may work on skills due to most skills being available on someone at 4-stars (or likely will eventually become available on a 4-star), weapons are a definite exception.

Ah... yeah, sorry about that. I've always been upgrading units with a unique weapon instead of these cases.

Even so, Imo it's not essential to have the +weapons for Blade tomes (as it only adds a flat number of damage) unless the unit kept failing to secure the kill. Lightning Breath+ totally makes sense... I might need to analyze just how much this matters to the said units. :)

Here's a quickie: for +Atk/–Res Reinhardt, is Death Blow / Lancebreaker / Spur Atk 2 (not really going to run Horse Emblem) / Dire Thunder (duh) / [assist] / Draconic Aura a good build?

Which assist should I put on him?

6 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Here's a quickie: for +Atk/–Res Reinhardt, is Death Blow / Lancebreaker / Spur Atk 2 (not really going to run Horse Emblem) / Dire Thunder (duh) / [assist] / Draconic Aura a good build?

Which assist should I put on him?

That's exactly what I eventually plan to have on mine, so I'd say so :P (I have Luna instead of Draconic Aura, but that was bc I didn't have DA fodder)

I personally like either Draw Back or Reposition. They're both great, so really it depends on personal preference and what fodder you have. 

15 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

That's exactly what I eventually plan to have on mine, so I'd say so :P (I have Luna instead of Draconic Aura, but that was bc I didn't have DA fodder)

I personally like either Draw Back or Reposition. They're both great, so really it depends on personal preference and what fodder you have. 

Lancebreaker 2 will be enough, won't it? He shouldn't be attacked anyway, but a safety cushion will always come in handy.

Come Monday, he gets Lancebreaker from one of my Arthurs and Draconic Aura from one of my Corrins. It's Death Blow that is at a premium. I desperately need a Hawkeye. Many Hawkeyes.

Reposition looks pretty useful too, a cool suggestion.

Edited by Vaximillian

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Lancebreaker 2 will be enough, won't it? He shouldn't be attacked anyway, but a satefy cushion will always come in handy.

Come Monday, he gets Lancebreaker from one of my Arthurs and Draconic Aura from one of my Corrins. It's Death Blow that is at a premium. I desperately need a Hawkeye. Many Hawkeyes.

Reposition looks pretty useful too, a cool suggestion.

Hell, even Lancebreaker 1 is enough. I'm going with Lancebreaker 2 just because it'll net sliiightly more Arena points though. 

I actually happened to pull a 5* Hawkeye last night while trying for Hector (still no Hector though), so I went ahead and fed him to Rein >:D

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Hell, even Lancebreaker 1 is enough. I'm going with Lancebreaker 2 just because it'll net sliiightly more Arena points though. 

I actually happened to pull a 5* Hawkeye last night while trying for Hector (still no Hector though), so I went ahead and fed him to Rein >:D

do you know the specific on how skills are scored in Arena? Kinda wondering if its worth making the escape route 3 into qr2 switch myself

Edited by JSND

2 minutes ago, JSND said:

do you know the specific on how skills are scored in Arena? Kinda wondering if its worth making the escape route 3 into qr2 switch myself

Unfortunately not. All I know is that you get more points the more skill slots you use up, and there's a slight boost among skill levels (so QR 3 earns slightly more points than QR 2). 

Beyond that, I'm not too sure. 

Finally rolled a Nino this morning (+SPD/-HP), so a question to those who have been using her.  What do you find better to use as an A-slot skill: Fury, Darting Blow, or Life and Death?  I feel like LaD gives her the most punch, but then she pretty much can't take a hit from anything but a blue mage, so I'm hoping she works better with one of the other two skills.  I have an Ephraim she can hide behind too, so she'll be getting plenty of stat boosts (theoretically).

I run her with Fury 3 and the HP +3 Seal. It's very rarely failed me, as it lets her survive pretty much anything other than Horse/Flier Emblem Gronnblade shenanigans (in which case I need to try to separate them from their buffs first), which then puts straight into Desperation range for the rest of the match. I don't think I could play her with LaD (and I pretty much don't see that build around these days). I think Darting Blow is too niche for what you'd otherwise give up. It lets you double other Ninos with significant merges you otherwise wouldn't, I guess, but Fury has so much general use that I'd have to recommend against Darting Blow.

Definitely workable. I ran Fury 2 for a few weeks with her and maybe missed one benchmark that I wouldn't have also missed with Fury 3 (which are all very rare to begin with). I only pulled a Hinata for her this week and despite immediately upgrading, I find I'm still in the mindset of calculating using Nino with Fury 2 half of the time. :lol: