Do you guys think that this game will be like the 3DS games?

20 minutes ago, Augestein said:

I actually like the idea of FoW too, but that might be because I played RTS first so a strategy game without FoW was kinda strange to me initially. 

Yeah, WarCraft 2 was one of my first real video games ever(Definitely my first strategy game), and Fog of War is all over that game.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obvious answer is yes Awakening did revive the series the very obvious things I see back are:

Marriage, Avatar, likely Kids again and great map design 

I like to see FoW back and remove Fates weapon debuffs(stats constantly drops when use) I love getting Silver and other strong weapons in games pre Fates now it's discouraging Im sure SoV will not have it like that as I'm seeing so far and bring Manaketes back to former glory pre Fates. Also they WILL do new mechanics and stuff BUT definitely will not ignore past ones and fixed what Fates did wrong and have a promising in-depth story.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

I got into Fire Emblem with Awakening, so I personally would miss some of the features old school FE fans scoff at like the marriage system and avatar creation. It makes me feel a little more involved in the story similar to Bethesda or Bioware RPG's. I'd rather see it kept in, but not have any major importance as it has before to where you can ultimately ignore pairing people if you really hate it. Maybe they don't need to include children this time around to make it so you won't even miss out on kids if you choose not to marry.

However, as far as the maps and gameplay and whatever else, I hope they do take some risks and change it up a bit like people are saying they tend to do when jumping between consoles.

On 4/12/2017 at 3:56 PM, kisooni said:

I got into Fire Emblem with Awakening, so I personally would miss some of the features old school FE fans scoff at like the marriage system and avatar creation. It makes me feel a little more involved in the story similar to Bethesda or Bioware RPG's. I'd rather see it kept in, but not have any major importance as it has before to where you can ultimately ignore pairing people if you really hate it. Maybe they don't need to include children this time around to make it so you won't even miss out on kids if you choose not to marry.

However, as far as the maps and gameplay and whatever else, I hope they do take some risks and change it up a bit like people are saying they tend to do when jumping between consoles.

I agree.

The 3DS games are the best games in this series. (Save for Valentia.)

It'd be foolish to not emulate those.

I'm hoping that some variant of the dual system comes back. Regardless of how good or bad people found the characters in awakening(I liked those characters, for the record), having characters fight together and grow closer is something that's really cool, both story and gameplay wise. At the very least, I found it to be more immersive than other games' "stand in adjacent spaces for 400 turns" style of building supports.

I like the 3DS games, especially Conquest, but I hope they try something new. I'm fairly confident this will happen, as Nintendo has historically tried new things on each new console with pretty much all of their series.

I'm sure the new game will keep elements of the 3DS games, but I hope they change it up a lot. For one, I'd love is pair-up were removed. As they said in the Echoes trailer, "such pillars of modern warfare... have no place on the battlefield."

But in addition to removing certain 3DS features, I hope they introduce a new mechanic that we haven't seen before, like how GBA introduced supports and 3DA introduced pair-up. I love when series try something new, even if it ends up not being the best feature in the world.

While I'm not a big fan of the Jugdral games, I kinda want to see that whole base castle thing return. In fact, I liked what FE4 did with the whole "conquering multiple castles thing". They should bring that back. That being said, don't make the maps Bionis-sized. There's a chapter in FE7-Hector's Tale, where the point of the map is to conquer three castles so they can definitely bring this back for smaller maps (smaller as in, small compared to Genealogy's maps)

Some other things I would like to see:

• Main Lord (or one of them at least, if there is to be multiple ones) is not of noble blood. At all. Just like Ike.
  • Adding to that point, this non-noble Lord isn't a good citizen. Like, he's a pirate or something that gets caught up in whatever is going on. It'd be interesting to see the war from the perspective of someone who is used to doing bad things such as stealing.
  • Trinity of Magic, I miss you.
  • Unisex Classes. Fates got it so close but then they had to ruin it with DLC and some gender-exclusive weapons.
  • The enemy army should consist of both genders. Thankfully, Echoes is already taking some steps to do this, as there are generic enemy female mages and paladins.
  • If there is to be an Avatar, it should be like Cross from Xenoblade X. Cross is one of the best examples of an Avatar because literally everything about him/her is decided by you. There is no pre-determined personality like Kris, Robin and Corrin had. Cross' personality is your personality, and this is the type of Avatar I would like to see in FE games. 
  • Bring back the Summoner Class. That's my favorite.

Preferably, I would like a mix of traditional and modern gameplay. I'd be fine if Pair Up and the current skill system stayed in place. I'm cool with My Castle sticking around too if it makes sense with the story. Not some cop-out deeprealm nonsense. What gameplay mechanics I'll like to reintroduce is:

• Diverse mission objectives. See Radiant Dawn- I would like missions where we have to escape, defend a certain area, capture the castle, FoW. I also really like how terrain was done in this game, and I wouldn't mind if that returned either. The majority of Awakening and Fates were route missions or defeat the boss, and I would like more.
  • If children are gonna be a thing again, I'd rather have them in their own generation. Similar to FE4, I'd rather experience their stories rather than try to dig them up in a support. I felt like the 2nd Gen and the Awakening kids were an interesting bunch, mainly because their personalities were reflected off of their past. They didn't rely heavily on a gimmick to be good characters. I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 to be gimmicky though. The cast could be around 20-25 per generation, so I won't feel overwhelmed that much.
  • Base conversations. This allowed for a certain group of characters to interact with one-another, and they can range from comedic relief to character and world building. They reacted to the world around them at certain points in the game.
  • Bonus experience~ Only if there's no "Open map" like Awakening. Otherwise, no.
  • More practical armor. Some of the designs are really nice in Fates, but I'm not sure why warriors would have an open thigh, chaps, etc. I'm ok with some skin showing though, just pick an area though. Although, I do like how Kozaki and Hidari made muscle on their characters. Warriors shouldn't be stick thin like a lot of past entries were.
  • Background for your Avatar (FE12). Although I think it affected how your stats grew, I think for the next game maybe they can incorporate it into your supports and it decides who your Avatar is able to support with. Birds of a feather flock together they say.  I think certain characters should be universal, but the majority of the cast is dependent on what you choose. Unless the cast is small, then support with everyone. Otherwise, I think limiting supports can potentially allow for more meaningful or entertaining supports. 

Tbh, If we're going to have an Avatar, one way of making them important without overshadowing them might be to make them a bard/dancer unit. It's an exclusive class, but also familiar. 

• 3 weeks later...

I hope and expect the switch FE game to be BIGGER much bigger and with a broader scope than the 3ds FE games. If it is not, what a waste of potential when the Switch is capable of far, far more than a Awakening/Fates copy.

I hope not, I wish FE would go back to a combination of PoR and RD. PoR's support system and story writing with RD's unique objectives, terrain mechanics, etc. No Avatars if you can't do them right, no shoehorning in marriage and kids or characters from previous games (and in the case of a certain trio of Fates kids, copies of past characters).

Fates tried too hard to duplicate Awakening's success and Awakening itself isn't that great to me. I did like Fates more, but not by a whole lot.

Edited by Anacybele

IS WILL please the vast majority of their audience which is casual with the popular features from their recent big titles while taking ideas from their older work which is possibly RD into consideration as big of a game it is as they usually do to give veterans a bone. They can do what they want as long as it please the fans while still making successful games as usual we'll see soon what they have in store for us.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

If bad Avatars and marriage systems are shoved into the game for no reason and female characters are sexualized a la Camilla, I'm done with this series. That's not what I play FE for. I played FE for the strategy, maps, stories, the in-battle gameplay mechanics, etc. Not for boobs pouring out of tops and stupid dating simulation.

(this isn't to say that I thought Robin and Corrin were outright terrible, but they weren't good either, imo)

Edited by Anacybele

I actually wouldn't mind S-Supports returning, as long as children don't, if they have no reason to be there. As for the Avatars, it depends. If they do someone like Cross from Xenoblade X, then that would be great, as Cross is one of the best Avatars i've seen. Literally everything about Cross is decided by you, the player. Nothing is pre-determined, except for maybe one part, but even then, it's vague.

Shadows of Valentia shows that sexualized characters is more of just Yusuke Kozaki's fault, particularly in Fates. I mean, he did draw some good designs, but he also drew fanservicy designs. Meanwhile, Hidari's designs aren't really sexualized or fanservicy.

And this a prime example why I hate the "veteran" mentality on this site that's why I'm glad they don't take people like this in mind and make people who like their evolution of the series more happy it'll sell very well regardless of the negative vocal minority as we see how Awakening/Fates were completely successful and that's why I ignore it love seeing what they do next which will get hated by veterans regardless anyway calling it now.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

Both fates and awakening get hated not for their gameplay innovations but rather for one-trait characters, silly supports and, these things mostly in fates, non-existent world-building on top of extremely bland/stupid plot. This hate is very well-deserved. So, what I want to see in new fe:

• No time manipulation. Seriously, STAHP that nonesense.
  • Flowing from the previous point, either no children, or time gap like fe4
  • Well-thought medieval society with fleshed out hierarchy, multiple powers with complex motivation
  • Quality over quantity in supports.

From gameplay perspective, IS almost always get their innovations right (like pair-up system which was interesting in awakening and got extremely good in Fates), so I believe they will be fine in this regard. The story and characters concern me greatly though. 

1 minute ago, Avestus said:

Both fates and awakening get hated not for their gameplay innovations but rather for one-trait characters, silly supports 

I never understood the "one-trait" complaint as about 70-90% of all Fire Emblem characters are "one-trait". Like, Navarre, for example, is a fan-favorite character, yet his only real personality is being honorable enough to not hurt women or children. Some characters have more personality than others, but at the end of the day, it's gonna come down to personal taste.

As for silly Supports, i don't mind as long as they are genuianly funny, and a good chunk of Awakening and Fates' supports are imo.

8 hours ago, Anacybele said:

If bad Avatars and marriage systems are shoved into the game for no reason and female characters are sexualized a la Camilla, I'm done with this series. That's not what I play FE for. I played FE for the strategy, maps, stories, the in-battle gameplay mechanics, etc. Not for boobs pouring out of tops and stupid dating simulation.

(this isn't to say that I thought Robin and Corrin were outright terrible, but they weren't good either, imo)

From my perspective, in response to your remark against sexualizing female characters, at the very least, it should be alright to have one or two characters with fanservicy designs and that's it. My take on it is that Camilla's look existing wasn't much of an issue save for how it influenced popularity votes in polls. What was more of an issue was the art direction for even basic class outfits taken to a skimpier direction instead of opting for "normal" appearances, resulting in too many characters taking on a skimpy look for no purpose (or a contradictory purpose, in the case of Nyx for one thing) to their character, including the player avatar herself. That being said, if we have just one or two characters that have appropriately-sexualized designs and their personality fits said design and is executed correctly, I'm fine with that as a guy who doesn't care for skimpy fanservice.

@ArmagonRegarding sexualized characters being "Kozaki's fault", isn't it on Toshiyuki Kusakihara? He's the art director for Fates and the guy directing what Kozaki had to draw. Though, I don't know if he came back for Valentia because I'm still trying to dodge stuff.

Edited by NoirCore

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

I never understood the "one-trait" complaint as about 70-90% of all Fire Emblem characters are "one-trait". Like, Navarre, for example, is a fan-favorite character, yet his only real personality is being honorable enough to not hurt women or children. Some characters have more personality than others, but at the end of the day, it's gonna come down to personal taste.

As for silly Supports, i don't mind as long as they are genuianly funny, and a good chunk of Awakening and Fates' supports are imo.

Exactly same here if you don't like a some others will like it plus "one trait" characters are very common in the series its nothing new and will never change.

9 hours ago, NoirCore said:

From my perspective, in response to your remark against sexualizing female characters, at the very least, it should be alright to have one or two characters with fanservicy designs and that's it. My take on it is that Camilla's look existing wasn't much of an issue save for how it influenced popularity votes in polls. What was more of an issue was the art direction for even basic class outfits taken to a skimpier direction instead of opting for "normal" appearances, resulting in too many characters taking on a skimpy look for no purpose (or a contradictory purpose, in the case of Nyx for one thing) to their character, including the player avatar herself. That being said, if we have just one or two characters that have appropriately-sexualized designs and their personality fits said design and is executed correctly, I'm fine with that as a guy who doesn't care for skimpy fanservice.

The main problem with Camilla though, is that she's shoved in the player's face, especially in Birthright because of that one stupid cutscene that shoves her boobs, ass, and crotch at you. I don't play FE for that garbage. Not everyone wants to see this stuff.

I'm not against fanservice itself as a whole, I'm against it being pushed more than everything else instead of just being left as a side/optional thing. With Camilla, IS clearly prioritized her fanservice-ness over gameplay and story and all that.

9 hours ago, NoirCore said:

From my perspective, in response to your remark against sexualizing female characters, at the very least, it should be alright to have one or two characters with fanservicy designs and that's it. My take on it is that Camilla's look existing wasn't much of an issue save for how it influenced popularity votes in polls. What was more of an issue was the art direction for even basic class outfits taken to a skimpier direction instead of opting for "normal" appearances, resulting in too many characters taking on a skimpy look for no purpose (or a contradictory purpose) to their character, including the player avatar herself. That being said, if we have just one or two characters that have appropriately-sexualized designs and their personality fits said design and is executed correctly, I'm fine with that as a guy who doesn't care for skimpy fanservice.

@ArmagonRegarding sexualized characters being "Kozaki's fault", isn't it on Toshiyuki Kusakihara? He's the art director for Fates and the guy directing what Kozaki had to draw. Though, I don't know if he came back for Valentia because I'm still trying to dodge stuff.

This is true he's the one that makes Kozaki draw some of armor but the "fanservicy" stuff is also a very minor complaint with the other stuff here I see more vocal complaints in mainstream for too strange Story(that's using some of a mystery manga writers work for you), the Fates forging system (ugh....very bad love Echoes forging massive improvement!)and Silver and to a little extent Brave weapons being the worse in the game. These definitely are things I hope get fixed.

18 hours ago, Armagon said:

Shadows of Valentia shows that sexualized characters is more of just Yusuke Kozaki's fault, particularly in Fates. I mean, he did draw some good designs, but he also drew fanservicy designs. Meanwhile, Hidari's designs aren't really sexualized or fanservicy.

Kusakihara was the art director for Awakening and Fates (whose designs explicitly had Higuchi facedesking back during Awakening's development) and Maeda is the guy who's been pushing the new series direction
The Kozaki scapegoat has been dead for years.

Edited by The DanMan

29 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Kusakihara was the art director for Awakening and Fates (whose designs explicitly had Higuchi facedesking back during Awakening's development) and Maeda is the guy who's been pushing the new series direction
The Kozaki scapegoat has been dead for years.

My bad. I was under the impression that it was Kozaki's fault, since he was the art desginer.