Do you guys think that this game will be like the 3DS games?

16 hours ago, Armagon said:

I never understood the "one-trait" complaint as about 70-90% of all Fire Emblem characters are "one-trait". Like, Navarre, for example, is a fan-favorite character, yet his only real personality is being honorable enough to not hurt women or children. Some characters have more personality than others, but at the end of the day, it's gonna come down to personal taste.

As for silly Supports, i don't mind as long as they are genuianly funny, and a good chunk of Awakening and Fates' supports are imo.

There's a big difference between how they were in previous FEs, and Awakening/Fates(Fates is admittedly a lot better in this regard, as it's a lot harder to pin characters down to one trait).

The closest analogue to Awakening-style characters from previous FEs is really limited to Ilyana, where it's a very "What you see is what you get." I've brought this up in previous threads, but they did A LOT more with character gimmicks in the past than they did in Awakening.

As a prime example of this: Compare Canas and Miriel. By all metrics, they basically share the same exact gimmick. They're both huge nerds who love reading books.

Through Canas' supports, though, we learn about his family through his supports with Nino(Who we also learn is likely his niece) and the nature of dark magic in general, he and Bartre come to an agreement where Bartre will help Canas be more manly/strong and Canas will help Bartre learn to think with his head more often, he and Pent fanboy over each other as we learn that Canas is a lot more humble about his origins than the lets on, and his supports with Renault show his interest in morphs, and we learn a lot about morphs as a result.

There's a lot of character background, character building and world building in pretty much all of Canas' supports. The odd one out is his support with Vaida, where it does boil down to "I like books." "Well, I don't like books, I'm going to feed them to my wyvern." "No, don't feed my books to your wyvern!".

Miriel, on the other hand, boils down to

Miriel C rank:

Miriel: Hey, you should fix your specific character quirk using science and books.

Miriel B rank:

Miriel: Are you making any progress with science and books?

Miriel A rank:

Miriel: I don't care if you're not using science and books, you're my friend!

Miriel S rank:

Miriel: I don't care if you're not using science and books, let's fuck!

The closest thing to a support where Miriel actually grows beyond just romance/friendship is her Ricken support, which can be summed up as "We're both mages, let's help each other experiment with spells and be better mages.", which is still heavily rooted in the "I'm Miriel and like science and books" gimmick. There's really no character building beyond this, and there's absolutely 0 world building in any of these supports. They're often incredibly shallow, and do very little to help us understand characters beyond their surface gimmicks.

And Miriel's one of the better examples in Awakening. If I really wanted to point out an awful, shallow, one-note character, I could have picked a character like Gaius. But there's nobody who's even remotely close to him in previous FEs where you really can boil their personality down to "I like this specific thing, and all of my conversations revolve around my ability to make puns off of that specific thing.", so it's harder to make a direct comparison, like with Canas and Miriel.

Obviously you can go back to FE1-3, where characterization was very sparse, but everything after that, I'd say, is a hefty step up from Awakening.

Edited by Slumber

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The closest analogue to Awakening-style characters from previous FEs is really limited to Ilyana, where it's a very "What you see is what you get." I've brought this up in previous threads, but they did A LOT more with character gimmicks in the past than they did in Awakening.

I've read a bunch of Tellius supports (well all of PoR's) and I can say Ilyana is not the only bad one, she is the worst, but there are others who are lacking. It also proves fewer supports doesn't necessarily equal better.

Mia for one- atrocious overall, read her Largo, it's really bad.

Gatrie is pretty one-note without much variation, though his early story dialogue pre-departure helps him out.

Geoffrey makes me sick with his obsession over Elincia, it hijacks his only other support in Calill.

Haar is lacking, the Makalov is a total bomb. But Haar at least gets everything pre-recruitment (a lot of nice stuff) to salvage him, plus RD.

Ulki is stoic and pretty bad too.

On the GBA side: Knoll-Lute is bad, Jaffar-Legault, the awful case of Treck-Juno, Hawkeye is overall lacking. Lowen has a pre-Awakening food obsession in many of his supports. Harken is bleh overall.

There has always been glaring imperfections, maybe not as many as Awakening or Fates though. 

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've read a bunch of Tellius supports (well all of PoR's) and I can say Ilyana is not the only bad one, she is the worst, but there are others who are lacking. It also proves fewer supports doesn't necessarily equal better.

Mia for one- atrocious overall, read her Largo, it's really bad.

Gatrie is pretty one-note without much variation, though his early story dialogue pre-departure helps him out.

Geoffrey makes me sick with his obsession over Elincia, it hijacks his only other support in Calill.

Haar is lacking, the Makalov is a total bomb. But Haar at least gets everything pre-recruitment (a lot of nice stuff) to salvage him, plus RD.

Ulki is stoic and pretty bad too.

On the GBA side: Knoll-Lute is bad, Jaffar-Legault, the awful case of Treck-Juno, Hawkeye is overall lacking. Lowen has a pre-Awakening food obsession in many of his supports. Harken is bleh overall.

There has always been glaring imperfections, maybe not as many as Awakening or Fates though. 

Those are mostly cases of specific character supports being bad, not entire characters(Though Lute is up there with Ilyana in terms of "One-note characters who don't really contribute anything to supports").

Lowen's a food junkie, since he's the army's cook. But we also learn that he's super self-conscious and has many insecurities about being both a knight and being a cook(His Rebecca support only involves food once, when Rebecca gives him a meal in the middle of his training. Though the punchline of that whole support line is a food joke). There's more going on than just "FOOD FOOD FOOD" like Ilyana.

Things I want in FE: Switch

• Art style of FE Echoes: SoV - I love the art style in Echoes SoV, it looks so good and realistic. So, I want to see more of this in future games.
  • Gameplay of Fates/ SoV - Haven't played SoV yet, but it looks very similar to Fates, but callbacks to Gaiden. But both of these games have great gameplay mechanics. (how the units actually battle and how the battles play out)
  • Map Desgin of Conquest - Conquest had some fun and really challenging map designs and mechanics, so having more of those would be great.
  • Mechanics from older games - As other people have said, Rescue, FoW, and more should come back. 
  • Story of Awakening or anything other than Fates - Just give us a good fully fleshed out story! Fates had too many plot holes or sections that took away from the overarching plot. I really liked Awakening's story(and it gave a legitimate reason for children!) so, give us a full story again.
  • Good world building/ Exploration - Fates had a huge world, but we could not freely explore or see any of it. We barely got any world development in the story. I like having an open/ explore-able map, and the land having a good backstory.

Most of these items are from the 3ds games, because those are the most recent and probably what most aspects of FE: Switch will be from. So, IS should take the good things from these 3ds games and use them to make a great Switch game!

18 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

Things I want in FE: Switch

• Art style of FE Echoes: SoV - I love the art style in Echoes SoV, it looks so good and realistic. So, I want to see more of this in future games.
  • Gameplay of Fates/ SoV - Haven't played SoV yet, but it looks very similar to Fates, but callbacks to Gaiden. But both of these games have great gameplay mechanics. (how the units actually battle and how the battles play out)
  • Map Desgin of Conquest - Conquest had some fun and really challenging map designs and mechanics, so having more of those would be great.
  • Mechanics from older games - As other people have said, Rescue, FoW, and more should come back. 
  • Story of Awakening or anything other than Fates - Just give us a good fully fleshed out story! Fates had too many plot holes or sections that took away from the overarching plot. I really liked Awakening's story(and it gave a legitimate reason for children!) so, give us a full story again.
  • Good world building/ Exploration - Fates had a huge world, but we could not freely explore or see any of it. We barely got any world development in the story. I like having an open/ explore-able map, and the land having a good backstory.

Most of these items are from the 3ds games, because those are the most recent and probably what most aspects of FE: Switch will be from. So, IS should take the good things from these 3ds games and use them to make a great Switch game!

I agree with this especially with how Fates did the story, characters and that world poorly every game evolves from the next adding more and bringing old stuff back to expand each game. I hope weapons are fixed back especially how Forging, Silver weapons, hand axes/javelins and (to some degree) brave weapons in Fates were worthless and massively nerfed which SoV seem to fix (outside only just the Brave Sword that functions differently)  thank goodness Knives can keep the debuffs for uniqueness though if they choose to.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn