The Lucina of this game.

On 3/11/2017 at 5:57 PM, Anacybele said:

She saw that Ike looked down and asked him if he was okay and one thing led to another.

Wait, does Azura have a boss battle conversation with Ike in the Hero Battle similar to like how Odin, Laslow, and Selena had with Lucina and Robin? I don't exactly remember saw that in Fire Emblem Fates?

Also, I was wondered if that Rinean girl (Berkut's girlfriend and an exclusive character that appears in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia that showed up in the demo) that a few people did mentioned it that they gave them Azura vibes and NintenDann that went to the Dutch Comic Com conversation did said she has the looks down (I wasn't exactly sure if he meant by Rinean looks alot like Azura or just other traits?), that I wondered if the lines be like Lucina -> Azura -> Rinean (?) -> New Character for the Switch title since Azura does look like Lucina with the similar face and hair that is longer than Lucina's, but I wondered about this Rinean girl will look like if she'll appear in the footage or trailers and it might carry it out for the next character in the Switch title?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/11/2017 at 5:28 PM, IMCasual said:

1- Created to be universal appealing

2- Prominent in the story/Leading character status 

3- Pushed by IS 

They tried. With Aqua. So that's going to fail hard.

It happened for Lucina because they *DIDN'T* do it being aware.

Edited by shadowofchaos

5 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, does Azura have a boss battle conversation with Ike in the Hero Battle similar to like how Odin, Laslow, and Selena had with Lucina and Robin? I don't exactly remember saw that in Fire Emblem Fates?

...Did you not read that whole post? It doesn't look like it, because I wasn't talking about Fates at all and I explained that I was talking about a different story and character entirely.

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

...Did you not read that whole post? It doesn't look like it, because I wasn't talking about Fates at all and I explained that I was talking about a different story and character entirely.

I did read the whole post, but I wasn't exactly sure what you were saying until you mention it. I was just confused about it.

Other than that, I am still going to be ok if they're going to be adding a Lucina-type or look alike character for the Switch title.

I never thought or believe they intended to make Azura like Lucina at all since they are different in roles and personalities Lucina has popularity because she's related to Marth and her stoic personality which is a popular character trait in anime and games. There's no question that there'll be another female Lord I rather they be the MAIN protagonist like Lyn, Celica, Micaiah and Eirika MAYBE an Avatar IF and only IF done completely well.

Azura was pushed hard as being a super important character, what with her unique powers and mysteriousness. She is related to the protagonist and has three unique supports with him. She failed to be as popular as IS likely hoped because she's not really invested in the story. Fates is the Corrin show and Azura is just there to provide exposition or plot contrivances. 

Lucina has the mysterious appeal, good looks and ties to a popular Smash character. She's heavily invested in the plot which makes her more engaging than "Azura shows up to sing which does whatever the story needs at the time".

To answer the OP, we don't need to mimic Lucina or anything from Awakening. Let the new characters be engaging without them being specifically designed to be fan favorites.

Edited by NekoKnight

• 4 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 2:44 AM, NekoKnight said:

Azura was pushed hard as being a super important character, what with her unique powers and mysteriousness. She is related to the protagonist and has three unique supports with him. She failed to be as popular as IS likely hoped because she's not really invested in the story. Fates is the Corrin show and Azura is just there to provide exposition or plot contrivances. 

Lucina has the mysterious appeal, good looks and ties to a popular Smash character. She's heavily invested in the plot which makes her more engaging than "Azura shows up to sing which does whatever the story needs at the time".

To answer the OP, we don't need to mimic Lucina or anything from Awakening. Let the new characters be engaging without them being specifically designed to be fan favorites.

>mysterious appeal

Maaaaaybeee

>good looks

Marth in a drag isn't all endearing

>ties to a popular Smash character

Very true that she's piggybacking on the popularity of a character that made us care about Fire Emblem in the first place

>She's heavily invested in the plot

You lost me.

Lucina's mostly a plot device with a few scenes of relevancy and is barely relevant for the half of the game other than being a good unit to use. And her nonexistent personality makes her less appealing. Engaging how?

I'm with the people saying Lucina's popularity was basically an accident.

She wasn't really marketed more than Chrom or Robin until after the game came out and she had become popular among the fans. In fact she was initially kept secret since she was basically a spoiler and I recall Awakening publicity only showed her as Marth at first. 

With Azura, she was pushed way more noticeably from the start. And that kind of sealed her fate, imo. People don't really like to be told which character they're supposed to be a fan of even before their game is released. Doesn't help that Azura in the actual game was behind some of the complainta people had with the story. 

Hopefully witj FE Switch they just make good characters without worrying about having a poster girl/boy.

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

She wasn't really marketed more than Chrom or Robin until after the game came out and she had become popular among the fans. In fact she was initially kept secret since she was basically a spoiler and I recall Awakening publicity only showed her as Marth at first. 

With Azura, she was pushed way more noticeably from the start. And that kind of sealed her fate, imo. People don't really like to be told which character they're supposed to be a fan of even before their game is released. Doesn't help that Azura in the actual game was behind some of the complainta people had with the story. 

Hopefully witj FE Switch they just make good characters without worrying about having a poster girl/boy.

*cough*Lillie*cough*.

Trying to recreate Lucina is like trying to recreate Awakening (both of which Fates tried thought the former is debatable) it won't end well. Best to just make new characters and hope one of them takes off.

Edited by Arthur97

If they do have another Lucina, I want them to be male so I can have another hasubando. Also, I want them to be a magic unit.

Months later I'm still lost on what a "Lucina" is. It's like saying a fictional character is the "Han Solo" of the story. That's an extremely particular adjective to use. 

If we want to play the name game, I say Lucina is the "Seliph" of Awakening. A Gen 2 protagonist that looks way too much like Marth and uses their dad's sword.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Months later I'm still lost on what a "Lucina" is. It's like saying a fictional character is the "Han Solo" of the story. That's an extremely particular adjective to use. 

If we want to play the name game, I say Lucina is the "Seliph" of Awakening. A Gen 2 protagonist that looks way too much like Marth and uses their dad's sword.

I think by "Lucina" they mean a character with breakout popularity.

29 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I think by "Lucina" they mean a character with breakout popularity.

Then why is it called the "Lucina" and not the "Marth" or "Roy" or "Ike"? Ike's probably an even bigger breakout relative to the popularity of his games vs. Lucina and her game.

Either way, don't try to force a popular character. It's a surefire way to annoy a portion of your fanbase.

Edited by Slumber

30 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Then why is it called the "Lucina" and not the "Marth" or "Roy" or "Ike"? Ike's probably an even bigger breakout relative to the popularity of his games vs. Lucina and her game.

Either way, don't try to force a popular character. It's a surefire way to annoy a portion of your fanbase.

Marth and Roy (and arguably Ike) didn't get hugely popular until Smash. Lucina is the first case of it happening both before Smash and in a larger public eye due to Awakening's broader reach.

5 hours ago, Kazuya said:

I think trying to make a Lucina clone would be dumb, let's just make a new character without ripping off or basically shoehorning in an archetype. 

It's even more funnier when you realize Lucina is a character archetype herself.

I didn't care too much for either Lucina or Azura. Lucina was alright at best while Azura gave me Micaiah vibes and I do not like Micaiah very much. With Lucina I don't know, I don't hate her but I'm also not a huge fan of hers either I guess she's kind of meh to me. Maybe it's the whole travel-back-in-time thing I don't know. 

On 8/16/2017 at 7:22 PM, Book Bro said:

I don't think they couldn't have known. Sure, "Lucina" wasn't at the forefront of the original promotions but this mysterious "Marth" was. She's also an attractive girl with a cool sword and story importance, all contributing factors in getting people's attention.

Azura was a more clearly engineered attempt at creating a popular character. She's beautiful, sings, is story important, has unique supports with the avatar and is mysterious, but she lacks a lot of the charm because of incompetent writing.

On 8/21/2017 at 10:38 PM, Glennstavos said:

I'd describe "the Lucina" as "the main girl", the girl character who has the looks and cool-factor to capture people's interest and get them involved with the plot. I'd say what sets her apart from the likes of Lyn or Micaiah, is that the "main girl" is still a supporting role to the protagonist (and might be an assumed primary love interest). Asuna would be "the Lucina" of Sword Art Online. 

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

I don't think they couldn't have known. Sure, "Lucina" wasn't at the forefront of the original promotions but this mysterious "Marth" was. She's also an attractive girl with a cool sword and story importance, all contributing factors in getting people's attention.

Azura was a more clearly engineered attempt at creating a popular character. She's beautiful, sings, is story important, has unique supports with the avatar and is mysterious, but she lacks a lot of the charm because of incompetent writing.

I'd describe "the Lucina" as "the main girl", the girl character who has the looks and cool-factor to capture people's interest and get them involved with the plot. I'd say what sets her apart from the likes of Lyn or Micaiah, is that the "main girl" is still a supporting role to the protagonist (and might be an assumed primary love interest). Asuna would be "the Lucina" of Sword Art Online. 

Lyn was pretty supporting after her arch, but, then again, she did at least get an arch. 

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Lyn was pretty supporting after her arch, but, then again, she did at least get an arch. 

And there is reason to believe that she could be a "Lucina". She has the looks and coolness to be one, but I think the narrative framing is different. You start the game following her story, and while there is an avatar, he's mostly out of sight, only getting the occasional nod in conversations. Lyn is the main character of her arc, not Mark, and thus you are more likely to step in her shoes than view her as an object of interest. Compare this to Fates where you are in Corrin's shoes and Azura is the object of interest.

Later on, Eliwood or Hector takes the reins of the plot, and while Lyn fills in a supporting role, you already have experience with her as a protagonist (and the plot doesn't treat her as an assumed love interest to either lord) so her view to the player stays the same. At least, that's how I viewed the game.