Sietje's Art Stuff

Sietje

Hi, I thought I may as well open up an art thread.

I'm not sure how often I'm going to post here, but for those who want more regular updates can check out my Tumblr: http://sie-tje.tumblr.com/. My finished works are also on DeviantArt: http://sie-tje.deviantart.com/. I'm open for commission work and you can find info on that on my Tumblr and Deviantart.

So for this thread I'll start off with my most recent piece that I finished today. I'm open for any kind of critique, so don't be afraid of telling me what's on your mind.

First up are the sketches for the pose and for getting a feel for the character. You get extra points if you can guess which character it is at this stage.

Spoiler

dJ50l6c.png

Next up is the digital sketch, line art and flat colors.

Spoiler

vhfO3bW.png

And here's the final piece.

Spoiler
4opZM6x.png
For those that don't know this character, it's Petrine from Path of Radiance. One of the bosses and a badass character if you ask me.

Edited by Sietje
Updating images links

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, not bad at all ! What software do you use for colouring ? 
I draw too, and I bought a wacom tablet but ... it's hard. Like, lining is tough but colouring ... I dont know, i suck at it. Yours is fantastic, did you self-taught? 

@Dragoncat Thanks! And congratulations on guessing Petrine!

@Tarisaskia I use Photoshop for all my digital work along with a Wacom Intuos 5 (though I've used a Bamboo for a very long time). Line art can be quite difficult to do in PS, but from what I've seen Paint Tool SAI is a little easier when it comes to that sort of thing. There's also the option to use the pen tool instead of making the strokes yourself. I find colors and light one of the hardest things to learn and I also still struggle with it, because I feel there's still so much that can be improved. It can help to switch the image into grayscale because then you can focus on the contrast of the image. If the image reads well in grayscale there's a bigger chance it'll also read well in color.

I'm mostly self-thaught, so watching tutorials and most importantly just drawing stuff. If you want I could give you some book recommendations? And for how long have you been using your tablet? Because I know that especially in the beginning there's a huge disconnection with where your hand is drawing and where you are looking. Sometimes I even feel that disconnection now after several years of drawing with the thing. That's why I always use a sketchbook next to my digital stuff.

@Sietje I have a wacom intuos as well, and yes it is very confusing not to be able to look where you're drawing, even after a year for me. A friend of mine is a pro and has a Cintiq, it looks so much more confortable to use >.<

And I share your struggle w/ colors. First, I never know which one to pick, and I'm having a hard time knowing which tool to use.

Unfortunately, I'm using a macbook so no Paint Tool SAI for me. I don't have photoshop either, but I use the software that comes w/ the Wacom tablet (Painter Essential i believe?).I'm not 100% satisfied with it, but that's what ive been using so far. It's hard to find tutorials with this software !

Sure, I'm all ears for any book or tutorial recommandations :) 

@Tarisaskia Cintiqs look so awesome to work with and I'd love to have a Companion myself (it's sort of like a cintiq, only it doesn't need a computer to work). I've used a macbook myself for years and sometimes it can be quite hard to find the right programs. I also downloaded Painter Essentials today to see how it worked, but I'll need some more time to figure that out.

There are a some youtubers I follow and all of them offer a bunch of tutorials.

Draw with Jazza has some generally fun art content and my favorites are his character design sessions, because then you see the process he goes through. https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawWithJazza

Sycra offers next to tutorials more philosophical stuff about the struggles of an artist, mindset and how to get better at what you do. https://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra

Tyler Edlin is more focused on backgrounds, so if you're interested in that he's worth checking out. https://www.youtube.com/user/TylerE2284/videos

This one can maybe help you with creating a color palette: https://youtu.be/6EL-ySlQIZY

For books I recommend 'Color and Light' by James Gurney as well as 'Figure Drawing for all it's Worth' by Andrew Loomis.

@Tarisaskia The portrait is done completely digitally. Underneath is the process and this was my reference photo for the face: http://fav.me/d2glw9u. I always create a sketch (either traditional or digital) before I start painting; it serves as a guideline for the shape and proportions. Starting from step 5 I erase some parts of the sketch and change it's color so it blends in better with the rest. I also start painting on a layer on top of the sketch, so the sketch blends in even more.

Spoiler

bgvTAjg.png

Here's some stuff I did today.
Spoiler

LkaCNKW.png?1

Edited by Sietje
Updating image links

I've been practicing more realistic portraits lately. They take up quite a lot of time, but surprisingly I find them quite fun to do. For the longest time I was always afraid to touch upon more realistic stuff, because you immediately see when something is off.

MyMFBJC.png?1

PCpkNxJ.png?1

Edited by Sietje
Updating image links

• 2 weeks later...

Not really FE related, but Yunho from TVXQ got discharged from the army yesterday. So I thought I might as well do a value study of him for practice. I can't wait till Changmin gets back in a few months and see them together on stage again.

Spoiler

N8hurO4.png

Edited by Sietje
Updating image links

• 2 weeks later...

Finally done with this portrait of Celica! This took me such a long time that at one point I just wanted to get it over with. Lately I've been trying to mix the anime style a bit more with realism and I feel like I'm slowly getting there. I actually wanted to post this one as celebration for the European release of Shadows of Valentia, but thought I might as well share it now.

RwsrRbZ.png?1

Edited by Sietje
Updating image links

Your shading and sense of value is really good, I'm diggin' it big time. Nice work dude! the photo redraws are impressive and Celica lookin' vurry pretteh. Vaida looks super cool as well, I'm super into that take on her spear.

@BANRYU Thank you so much! It's always nice to hear that people like what I'm doing. I just checked some of your stuff and you've got a few nice art pieces in there too.

Values are a great tool to help checking the readability of a piece. Even when I'm working with colors I try to check the values every so often to see if it still looks good.

I find it funny how so many people think Vaida's spear is an original design, but it's actually the same one she has in her official artwork.

I've been wanting to try and sketch all the Shadows if Valentia characters, though I don't think I'll be able to do them all. They are done with ballpoint pen and I made some minor fixes to them in Photoshop. These are done over the past few weeks:

Mae, Silque and Kamui

t0QaGA8.jpg

Boey, Saber, Lukas and Clair

n3l3dwS.jpg

Genny, Valbar and Kliff

tpWHUZQ.jpg

Edited by Sietje
Updating image links

I received a lot of great feedback on the sketch I did of Saber, so I wanted to try and color him. It resulted in a bit of an experimental piece.

eY0upt8.jpg?2

Edited by Sietje
Updating image links

More shadows of Valentia sketches. I'm trying to do one every day until May 19.

Est, Palla and Catria:

u5jbTdA.jpg

Sonya, Deen and Python
Ew056rj.jpg

Edited by Sietje