Fire emblem 8: Quality of Life Patch 

Laikar

Fire emblem 8: Quality of Life Patch 

a.k.a. FE8 but it has QOL engine hacks made by the community 

This is a compilation of some for the QOL improvements that have been made through assembly by the guys at Serenesforest/FEuniverse, intended for those who want to play FE8 vanilla or randomized and want some of the features these provide but don't want to get onto the buildfile or just are too lazy to do so.

This PATCH was made in 2018, hasn't been updated and will not be updated

Content:

FE8 Essential Fixes Compilation(compiled by crazycolors)

Full list of content within the Essential fixes:

Spoiler

Some default option changes, fixes and skiping the Health and safety screen by crazycolors

Break HP Cap for Players/NPCs (by Solum)

Unles your randomizer changes HP caps this should have no effect, but it doesn't hurt to have it in

It changes  the max HP the game can handle from from (60? 63? idk) to 127

12 Tracks/16 Sounds Fix (by Agro/Brendor)

I don't really know what this does, but as on the last case, it doesn't hurt to have it

Hold A to speed up movement (made by Gryz)

Autocursor Fix (by Vennobennu)

Pierce Glitch Fix (by Brendor)

Unlocks all the song room songs

CG Fade glitch Fix

Anti-Huffman Patch, (by Hextator and Nintenlord) This allows text within the ROM to be edited easily, without it any text edit will end up on weird glitches and i need some text for other patches.

Some Animation hacks by Hextator 

Show heal amount (by Tequila)

Spoiler

What this patch does is change the window when you heal to show the units current hp and the hp he will have once healed, rather than its current hp and its max hp like in the original

Original left vs Patched Right

OriginalPatched

Colored Stats, Show growths in game and Talk (by Tequila)

Spoiler

This changes the stats on the stat screen to a color depending on the growths of the character and allows you to see the growths by pressing the select button 

c3149d90ffe09306712e6c3a2b9a0ef2.png.3505da8b93b3e00b2c57b60b80964ae2.pngbd82d52e2d968010aafcc9e6fcbdad95.png.0ba21799764ecbf22d6804c46791e9f7.png7d2df5997ad69418e3b1fffa204cc6d6.png.7e89d5dc3b4c0f27a49fa69b865d4a61.png

Grey is for a bad growth (less than 25)

White is for a mediocre growth (25-40)

Blue is for a decent growth(40-50)

Yellow is for a good growth(50-65)

Green is for a really good growth stat(65 or more)

It also changes the affinity display to one that shows conversations beetwen units on that chapter

10a7fa1d6acac24538cadbf5dd30332d.png.577bf912fe3b9c9c3f409a891141af58.png

Hod L to Enable/Disable animations ( by circleseverywhere)

Spoiler

When holding L, battle animations will not display and only show the map animations

Without Holding L

Holding L

Battle stats with animations off (by Tequila)

Spoiler

When animations are off a window displays the battle stats such as Hit, Damage, Crit and Attack Speed or Effective speed (The speed after being reduced by the weapon weight)

837e0519ff5058ea57811361a4b82a81.png.3c706a1f8c219c4f3af81bae67f5b7cd.png

GIF

Item preview(by Zane)

Spoiler

This is basically a hack that allows to change things that display in the minimug window (this)

It has some options and things, but i only replaced the HP bar with the equipped item and the droppable items

Original Left vs Patched Right

9d5accc275a3f614ce823e4ca9ac6140.png.bcbc592f89db496d355c6e8bf8cecb76.png b4127e212d7836d7f0fbfdd35bd06643.png.404107290cf717854474ffbf7a138d09.png

Danger Zone (by circleseverywhere)

Spoiler

This allows you to see the enemy attack range when pressing select, you can¡t target specific characters like in the newer games but better this than nothing

GIF Demonstration by Circles

Monster weapons Stat Display fix (original by Brendor/EA Version by Circleseverywhere)

Spoiler

This changes the description of the monster weapons to actually show its stats

e0644168b7197d2bb59b8291905aa304.png.2a8a8d1910a4559d2c44a917f079f2d5.png

HP Bars (i think it is made by circles, but i'm not sure, if anyone knows correct me please)

Spoiler

This displays a HP Bar below any damaged character, also shows conversations via a little icon, it can be disabled on the options menu.

It can cause lag on big maps with more than 40 enemies, so i recommend disabling it on those, and even if that doesn't solve the issue just use the version without this.

HP Bars on the left Talk icon over Franz on the right

53e6930067ee05a12bbd2401fcdfae76.png.2eb3765b41f0422d5b69a1cfa89ea252.pnga695b55bb8d62953bb36e1905d06fda6.png.0e61b4f2c15cd6cd3daa1f3cce8c0949.png

Let me know if i derped on something or there is another quality of life patch that you think should be here.

DOWNLOAD

No HP Bars version

F.A.Q. or Q.I.T.P.W.A(Questions I Think People Will Ask)

Q: Hey, i am getting lag on Chapter 8/ any other big chapter with lots of units

A: If the lag makes the game unplayable for you disable the HP Bars on the settings, and even if that doesn't work use the No HP Bars version, just make a savestate with your emulator, patch this onto a new ROM and load that savestate.

Q: Can i randomize a ROM with this patch installed?

A: In theory, yes, i tried with Otaku Reborn's randomizer and it didn't seem to have any problem, but i can't be 100% sure, if you find any error that might look to be related to this just post it and i'll try to fix it

Q: I installed this to X ROMhack/Rebalance hack and now my game crashes

A: That hack might change some things that the patches use, so if you want any of the things these patches do ask the creator of the hack to add them.

Q: How did you made this?

A: I made it using the buildfile method and adding all the patches and changing some texts, i recommend checking the FEE3 2016 video for it, if you got any further questions the peoople at feuniverse.us and their discord know much more than me and will be able to help you much more.

Q: Can i include this on my ROMhack?

A: You shouldn't, instead you should look for all the patches, add them and configure them by yourself.

Q: You left out some of the Essential fixes, why?

A. I left out things that would change the actual gameplay, like the weak promoted enemies fix and the EXP coefficient fix cause i wanted this to just be fe8 with QOL changes and the same gameplay, and even if its minimally, they affected a bit the gameplay. I also didn't add the Intro cutscene skip or the new game text skip cause there might be people who want to watch them.

Q: Can you make a FE6/FE7 Version?

A: For FE7 Yes, i will start working on it someday, but some patches aren't available for FE7 and i am a complete noob on FE7 hacking/FE7 in general. For FE6 it will surely be impossible, almost none of these patches has a FE6 version and i know even less of FE6 than FE7.

Q: Can i make a FE7 version myself?

A: Yeah, feel free to do it and when you post it PM me and i'll ad a link to your post on this question.

Edited by Laikar

43 minutes ago, Raymerald said:

Is there for the European version?

Not really, and it will take some time until there is one, i don't know the exact details but the patches are incompatible with the european version and since nobody uses that for romhacking i doubt they will have a port, i would port them myself if i knew assembly, but that won't happend any time soon.

5 hours ago, Laikar said:

Not really, and it will take some time until there is one, i don't know the exact details but the patches are incompatible with the european version and since nobody uses that for romhacking i doubt they will have a port, i would port them myself if i knew assembly, but that won't happend any time soon.

Oh :(

2 hours ago, Capibarainspace said:

Thanks!, the game is much more enjoyable with these QoLs and fixes.

Just one thing, I got lag on ch 8 but it doesn´t get fixed by removing the HP Bars. It could be my potato laptop though.

Hmm on my pc it kinda solved the issue, but I've included a version without the HP Bars 

4 minutes ago, Capibarainspace said:

Thank you so much, I love the HP bars but there´s too much lag. Without a doubt it´s my laptop then (it´s ancient).

Not really, i made this patch for a friend, and he has a kinda good pc and still has lag issues, this patch really brings the GBA's core to the limit, it might just be me not noticing the lag on my testings

Edited by Laikar

Just now, Laikar said:

Not really, i made this patch for a friend, and he has a kinda good pc and still has lagg issues, this patch really brings the GBA's core to the limit

Oh I see.

Anyways, even without the HP bars this patch is a must for anyone playing SS. I just loaded the file w/o bars and it works perfectly.

5 hours ago, Raymerald said:

Bug

No c_1489929372928.png

Well, that was unexpected, i'll tell Tequila(the creator of the show stats patch) about it, he might be able to solve it. I'll look for a way to disable/ move them meanwhile

2 hours ago, Raymerald said:

Is it normal that some units do not have the green HP? (It is marked with a circle)

PicsArt_03-21-08.11.33.jpg

Yes, the hp works like the other growths, it changes color depending on how good it is, following the same rules all the other stats, since most units have high hp growths it is rare to see someone with something that isn't green on the HP

10 minutes ago, CrystalPoke said:

Damn, and I saw this just after finishing my FE8 Randomized Run. Thanks for bringing this, it'll definitely be an awesome addition. One question though, what does the " Anti-Huffman Patch" do exactly?

I don't exactly know, but it allows text within the ROM to be edited easily, without it any text edit would end up on weird glitches

Text in the rom is Huffman encoded, which is a very common compression scheme. Both FEditor and text2ea (the new way of inserting text) don't bother with Huffman encoding and just enter the strings in the rom as-is, so the game needs a way to determine whether a text is encoded or not, and what to do with it if it isn't. Hence the patch.

33 minutes ago, Raymerald said:

Tequila, there is a bug in the link arena that is when you go to look at the menu of the character, the game freezes but the music is still playing

You'll have to be a bit more specific; I'm not seeing any issues. Which menu and which character(s)?

On 26/3/2017 at 9:15 PM, Tequila said:

And what exactly are you doing to trigger the freeze? Is it for all characters or just one?

I've been looking into it, when you are on the link arena, ether building teams or durign a fight, if you try to open the stats menu the game freezes to a black screen or freezes when you try to change character, but the music still plays.

I tested it on a clean rom with the in game growths patch only and it seems to be caused by it 

Edited by Laikar

9 hours ago, Tequila said:

Managed to isolate the issue; it was actually Talk that was the problem. It was trying to loop through non-existent chapter data. Should be fixed.

Also, might I recommend adding this?

I actually added it but never updated the post