From F2P to Whale

Ewwgene

After playing fire emblem heroes for a few weeks, I am really enjoying myself as a F2P.

As an Ex-Whale myself, I am trying to restrain myself from spending by re-rolling to satisfy my need of sense of achievement after getting 5*.

But today, due to unforeseen circumstances, i am unable to restrain myself and unleashed the Whale beast within me.

So my question is.. After making In-App purchases, does a part of you just ended up losing interest in the game? That always happen to me.

If it does happened to you before, what is your solution to continue enjoying this game? 

There's no content enough yet, so those who spend too much too soon will be bored way sooner than those who don't. I'd recommend to take it slow if you're planning to invest to maximize the fun the game will bring!

The combination of perfectionism and whaling means I end up holding off training characters that I know I want to use, but don't have a perfect nature roll for, simply because I know I have the means to possibly get a perfect roll in the future. That's probably my biggest hindrance. I've held off on Nino, Abel, and Cordelia because of it, even though I really want to try out those characters.

Other than that, having a huge roster to choose from and the feathers to promote a large number of characters to 5-star means there's always something new I can pick up and try out. Whaling means you have access to a massive number of 3-star characters and you're bound to have a few with a perfect roll. With skill inheritance coming this week, there's even more of a reason to take another look at the 3-star characters that have so far been neglected.

34 minutes ago, Lysseria said:

There's no content enough yet, so those who spend too much too soon will be bored way sooner than those who don't. I'd recommend to take it slow if you're planning to invest to maximize the fun the game will bring!

You are right! It is also fun saving orbs. :D

I hope the daily 2 Gems gift will be forever. 

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The combination of perfectionism and whaling means I end up holding off training characters that I know I want to use, but don't have a perfect nature roll for, simply because I know I have the means to possibly get a perfect roll in the future. That's probably my biggest hindrance. I've held off on Nino, Abel, and Cordelia because of it, even though I really want to try out those characters.

Other than that, having a huge roster to choose from and the feathers to promote a large number of characters to 5-star means there's always something new I can pick up and try out. Whaling means you have access to a massive number of 3-star characters and you're bound to have a few with a perfect roll. With skill inheritance coming this week, there's even more of a reason to take another look at the 3-star characters that have so far been neglected.

That's another way of thinking. I felt alot better now. Thanks man! :)

To be frank, i have never played fire emblem before so i am really envy of everyone here who already knows what they want and start saving. Watched all the cutscene in Awakening and Fate. But the older series, i only managed to learn a few things from wiki. I really hope Fire emblem will have their own anime like Chain Chronicles

I am just trying my luck on characters which i find attractive. (For Example: Upcoming Ninian. It is going to tanky dancer?! That's like  Azura + Effie which i happen to have a great Bane/Boon. FML)

But it is very likely that we are unable to inherit the sacrifice's 5* skill if the sacrifice is 3* right?

Edited by Ewwgene

2 minutes ago, Ewwgene said:

But it is very likely that we are unable to inherit the sacrifice's 5* skill if the sacrifice is 3* right?

Based on the tweets, it looks like you'll inherit the entire skill tree of the sacrifice regardless of its rarity. Learning the skill will require that the receiving character have the necessary rarity, but teaching shouldn't require that the sacrifice have the necessary rarity.

We'll know for certain once it comes out, of course, but this is my interpretation of what we know.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

Based on the tweets, it looks like you'll inherit the entire skill tree of the sacrifice regardless of its rarity. Learning the skill will require that the receiving character have the necessary rarity, but teaching shouldn't require that the sacrifice have the necessary rarity.

We'll know for certain once it comes out, of course, but this is my interpretation of what we know.

Ohhh! That's good to know!

Thanks for sharing the information! :)

Moderation might be key. I make in app purchases to get a few things, but also enjoy the saving up of feathers and training up of my favourite characters as something to work for. I'm currently hoarding feathers for a few certain characters who aren't in the game yet, but I desperately pray come into it as 3* or even the freebie 1/2* xD

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

As a fellow perfectionist, would you be satisfied with Eldigan (+spd, -def)?

I think +spd would only be suitable with buffer like eirika. But i am aiming to use Eldigan as Tanker/Suicider. I can't find other better use of Eldigan than moving him to the middle of the enemy and use the AOE skill which means i need more ATK. D:

2 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Moderation might be key. I make in app purchases to get a few things, but also enjoy the saving up of feathers and training up of my favourite characters as something to work for. I'm currently hoarding feathers for a few certain characters who aren't in the game yet, but I desperately pray come into it as 3* or even the freebie 1/2* xD

Ohh did you play the entire fire emblem series?

I have never played it before. What would you recommend me as a starter?

I wish i can be as excited as you xD

Eldigan is a physical wall with questionable speed. The +spd will make him more reliable at avoiding getting doubled. The -def will put him at 34 def which is still excellent but no longer in the invulnerable wall type.

He's more allround and less specialized. Ironically one of the better boon/banes for him would be -spd/+def or even better -res/+def

@Ewwgene

I started many years ago with FE7 and FE8 sort of together (I wanted FE7, but FE8 came in its box, so I played that for a bit first, then really got into 7, then went back to 8).

I think it does depend on what you're looking for, as everyone will say different ones. For the classics, I think FE8 is most forgiving to newcomers, but FE7 and 9 are great if you're more used to tbs games. I didn't like FE10 as much - the lack of supports and disjointed armies really wasn't for me.

Fates and Awakening are good if you love otome games (like I do). They focus more on the characters supporting and having kids, and the interactions, as well as the turn based combat. Awakening and Birthright slide you into it, whilst Conquest is a bit more difficult again.

For the emulated games - play FE11 (not emulated as easy to purchase) and 12 instead of 1 and 3 (some may disagree but I preferred the updated versions). They are pretty fun if you love tbs and not the character building supports side so much.

My all time favourite is Thracia just because of all the random mechanics and I really like its style. FE4 is probably my least favourite since I didn't like the larger maps and I hated losing all my first gen characters (I'm too emotional). Gaiden was just pure fun, I thought, but you might as well wait for the remake for that :)

I'm not a player that enjoys a challenge. I play to relax, so this is just from a less competitive side of things. Not sure if a more hardcore player would say differently ^.^

Edit: Just in case I confused things - 7 is the unsubtitled one over here (never remember its subtitle), 8 is Sacred Stones, 9 is Path of Radiance, 10 is Radiant Dawn, 11 is Shadow Dragon and 4 is Holy War. Not sure how they're numbered anymore xD

Edited by Cute Chao
More info

41 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

@Ewwgene

I started many years ago with FE7 and FE8 sort of together (I wanted FE7, but FE8 came in its box, so I played that for a bit first, then really got into 7, then went back to 8).

I think it does depend on what you're looking for, as everyone will say different ones. For the classics, I think FE8 is most forgiving to newcomers, but FE7 and 9 are great if you're more used to tbs games. I didn't like FE10 as much - the lack of supports and disjointed armies really wasn't for me.

Fates and Awakening are good if you love otome games (like I do). They focus more on the characters supporting and having kids, and the interactions, as well as the turn based combat. Awakening and Birthright slide you into it, whilst Conquest is a bit more difficult again.

For the emulated games - play FE11 (not emulated as easy to purchase) and 12 instead of 1 and 3 (some may disagree but I preferred the updated versions). They are pretty fun if you love tbs and not the character building supports side so much.

My all time favourite is Thracia just because of all the random mechanics and I really like its style. FE4 is probably my least favourite since I didn't like the larger maps and I hated losing all my first gen characters (I'm too emotional). Gaiden was just pure fun, I thought, but you might as well wait for the remake for that :)

I'm not a player that enjoys a challenge. I play to relax, so this is just from a less competitive side of things. Not sure if a more hardcore player would say differently ^.^

Edit: Just in case I confused things - 7 is the unsubtitled one over here (never remember its subtitle), 8 is Sacred Stones, 9 is Path of Radiance, 10 is Radiant Dawn, 11 is Shadow Dragon and 4 is Holy War. Not sure how they're numbered anymore xD

awakening is 13 and fates 14. iirc

42 minutes ago, Ewwgene said:

As a fellow perfectionist, would you be satisfied with Eldigan (+spd, -def)?

I think +spd would only be suitable with buffer like eirika. But i am aiming to use Eldigan as Tanker/Suicider. I can't find other better use of Eldigan than moving him to the middle of the enemy and use the AOE skill which means i need more ATK. D:

As Silith said above, -Def is going to hurt Eldigan's ability to tank by a bit, but his speed tier is very crowded, so +Spd is rather nice to avoid being double attacked.

Beats my -Atk, +Res Eldigan, at the very least.

For me, after getting 2 Kleins and having both be -Atk (my 1 Olwen and Eldigan are also -Atk, figures), in the end, perfectionist or not you just take what you get and roll with it until you get something better. Merging doesn't waste any resources other than exp. and combat SP, so there's very little loss in working with what you have and waiting for a better roll (or waiting for a reroll stats functionality).

Hopefully, when skill inheritance is added, they'll let you transfer those at the same time as a merge, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

@Mister Cold

That's the numbering I use, too :) But there was a topic ages ago about whether BS, or whatever that radio one was, should be included, so I wasn't sure what people decided with that. So I thought I'd go back and clarify which ones I meant :D

Edited by Cute Chao
Update

Being pure F2P is quite an interesting challenge (I have spent 0.00 USD so far and I've only dropped 46 Orbs total but that's mainly because I rerolled until I got Lyn because favoritism and got a pretty good batch at the same time with the 20 of the dropped orbs used for that pull; the 26 went into castle upgrades). The only map I've failed to complete is Narcian's Hard map but that map is pretty crap due to team composition and positioning. Also managed to finally finish the rest of Lunatic story maps once I got female Robin and Ursula.

A couple highlights for me are:

Female Robin ORKOing the masked stranger in Lunatic 9-4.

Ursula OHKOing Xander in Lunatic 9-5. She also finished off Veronica when Lyn failed to ORKO her since she didn't have Olivia's Hone Atk 3 boost.

Currently sitting on 292 Orbs right now which would go up to at least 326 with the 20 from the Voting Gauntlet, 5 from the Retweet event, and 9 from the upcoming paralogue assuming the orb payout is similar to that of previous paralogues.

Edited by Roflolxp54