FAQ on how to raise Donnel and Miriel

Hi guys,

So I just got Fire Emblem Awakening a few days ago after taking advantage of a sale offer for 27.99 and I have to say I am really enjoying the game so far. Been playing it on Classic Hard mode, and taking advantage of the Bonus Teams you can fight through the StreetPass features so a fair number of my units are fairly op (in my eyes anyway lol) at the point I'm at which is Chapter 9. I just wanted to query you on the following:

1) What is the maximum level Donnel can reach as a villager? 

2) What class(es) are ideal for Miriel?

I raised Donnel up to level 12 however based on stuff I have read from other forums and guides decided to re-class him as a mercenary. With regards to Miriel she currently has the following stats at lvl 20:

Strength-5

Magic-16(18 when you include Magic +2 skill)

Skill-16

Spd-19

Luck-15

Def-10

Res-14

I also have read from other forums on the net etc that Ricken is considered better in some areas including magic and defence however in my case they are not far apart barring speed (12), luck (19) and res (9), without about a difference of 1 between magic and strength in miriel's favour and 2 for skill again in miriel's favour, with Ricken being at level 19 himself. Thanks for any help offered. 

When people argue and talk about who is better than who, it's usually in regards to LTC or no grinding play. So don't pay too much attention to stuff like that.

You can endlessly grind and reclass, and the game keeps track of how many levels a character has gained to determine Exp gain. The higher your total levels get the less Exp you get but don't worry, it has cap, which is different for every difficulty level. Because of this, you should always promote, or reclass as soon as you learn the 2nd skill for a class.

As far as a lot of information goes, such as maximum levels/when skills are learned/growth rates/Exp gain formula, you can always check the main site for that.

https://serenesforest.net/awakening/

Go ahead and use Miriel, that Speed lead over Ricken is gigantic and meaningful. Plus she has such a good set of classes- she can be anything but a War Cleric and be an incredible magic user. If she had Dark Flier, she'd be perfect.

For Donnel. Village has a maximum level of 30, but its class stats are terrible and the last skill you get from it is Underdog at 15. Mercenary or Fighter works equally well for him, Armsthrift is why Mercenary is preferred, but using rare weapons with Armthrift shouldn't happen until you get the Luck stat really high. With regards to promoted classes, Hero or Warrior are both solid, Bow Knight not as much, but still viable. Donnel is a burden to raise, but a monster once he gets going.

An end class for Donnel would probably be either Hero or Warrior. (Bow Knight isn't bad. It's just not the best class.).

For Miriel I'd suggest initially promoting her to Dark Knight for a defensive buff along with a raise in her attack power while giving her relatively evened stats, or if you have a second seal, reclassing her to Dark Mage for Hex and Anathema. Get her to level 15 in the Dark Knight class for the skill Lifetaker. Then either switch her over to Sage, Sorcerer or Valkyrie for your pick of Tomefaire from the Sage class, Vengance and Tomebreaker from Sorcerer (Which is slightly useless due to her high resistance. Vengance on the other hand is a high risk, high reward skill), or Dual Support+ from Valkyrie. While there is also Rally Magic and Rally Resistance from Sage and Valkyrie respectively and they do help in quite a few aspects. I usually sort of put those on the back burner since it's easy enough to break the game without those. Her end class on the other hand is split between Sage (For maximum damage output and healing.) or Sorcerer (For access to dark magic and Nosferatu.)

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Go ahead and use Miriel, that Speed lead over Ricken is gigantic and meaningful. Plus she has such a good set of classes- she can be anything but a War Cleric and be an incredible magic user. If she had Dark Flier, she'd be perfect.

For Donnel. Village has a maximum level of 30, but its class stats are terrible and the last skill you get from it is Underdog at 15. Mercenary or Fighter works equally well for him, Armsthrift is why Mercenary is preferred, but using rare weapons with Armthrift shouldn't happen until you get the Luck stat really high. With regards to promoted classes, Hero or Warrior are both solid, Bow Knight not as much, but still viable. Donnel is a burden to raise, but a monster once he gets going.

Yeah it's funny because at first it seemed like Ricken was going to turn out alot better as he had higher stats in magic, skill, luck and speed after I raised him to catch up with her but then towards the end it seems the rng played in miriel's favour lol. Would you say I missed much not waiting till reaching level 15 then? I've noticed this game plus fates have allowed for higher caps now for all stats so what would you consider high luck? At the moment these are his stats as a level 1 mercenary before I forget:Strength-18, Magic-4,Skill-16,Speed-17, Luck-22,Defence-16,Resistance-6

1 hour ago, Sage of Ylisse said:

An end class for Donnel would probably be either Hero or Warrior. (Bow Knight isn't bad. It's just not the best class.).

For Miriel I'd suggest initially promoting her to Dark Knight for a defensive buff along with a raise in her attack power while giving her relatively evened stats, or if you have a second seal, reclassing her to Dark Mage for Hex and Anathema. Get her to level 15 in the Dark Knight class for the skill Lifetaker. Then either switch her over to Sage, Sorcerer or Valkyrie for your pick of Tomefaire from the Sage class, Vengance and Tomebreaker from Sorcerer (Which is slightly useless due to her high resistance. Vengance on the other hand is a high risk, high reward skill), or Dual Support+ from Valkyrie. While there is also Rally Magic and Rally Resistance from Sage and Valkyrie respectively and they do help in quite a few aspects. I usually sort of put those on the back burner since it's easy enough to break the game without those. Her end class on the other hand is split between Sage (For maximum damage output and healing.) or Sorcerer (For access to dark magic and Nosferatu.)

So pretty similar to what other forums have said generally then. My gut feeling was literally telling me to go for dark knight as soon as I saw her defence jump from 12 to 17, making her very durable on the physical and magical side of things. What would you suggest for Ricken? And also I ended up pairing Miriel with Stahl not knowing she would get married at S rank. What can I expect from their child/children?

12 minutes ago, Shin-KazenoKen said:

Yeah it's funny because at first it seemed like Ricken was going to turn out alot better as he had higher stats in magic, skill, luck and speed after I raised him to catch up with her but then towards the end it seems the rng played in miriel's favour lol. Would you say I missed much not waiting till reaching level 15 then? I've noticed this game plus fates have allowed for higher caps now for all stats so what would you consider high luck? At the moment these are his stats as a level 1 mercenary before I forget:Strength-18, Magic-4,Skill-16,Speed-17, Luck-22,Defence-16,Resistance-6

So pretty similar to what other forums have said generally then. My gut feeling was literally telling me to go for dark knight as soon as I saw her defence jump from 12 to 17, making her very durable on the physical and magical side of things. What would you suggest for Ricken? And also I ended up pairing Miriel with Stahl not knowing she would get married at S rank. What can I expect from their child/children?

Miriel and Stahl aren't a bad pairing. Laurent turns out as a support unit due to him getting Dual Support+ provided he inherits it from Miriel and he has access to Dual Guard+ thanks to Stahl. So he would be best suited for a pair up in the back for a magical child.

With Ricken I'd suggest doing the same with Miriel, promote him into a dark knight and then switch him over to Great Knight for Luna and probably dual guard+ I guess it depends on who Ricken is paired with.

To answer your questions:

1. 30, at which point he can go straight to an advanced class

2. From experience: Sorcerer, Valkyrie, and Sage 

Edited by Metis

5 hours ago, Metis said:

To answer your questions:

1. 30, at which point he go straight to an advanced class

2. From experience: Sorcerer, Valkyrie, and Sage 

Do you think I should have waited till he was level 30 or it's fine as it is right now?

13 minutes ago, Shin-KazenoKen said:

Do you think I should have waited till he was level 30 or it's fine as it is right now?

I don't think it matters unless you're a stat junkie 

47 minutes ago, Shin-KazenoKen said:

Really, the maximum I'd bother is 15 for the Villager as Underdog would help with his hit and evade from early on in his new class. But switching as soon as possible makes sense as the bases for Villager are terrible and he does better outside of it.