Maniac Mode Playthrough/Discussion

Since PoR MM efficiency is for the most part, unexplored, I was wondering if anybody was interested in discussing it. I've started a playthrough where the aim is to simply get within the minimum number of turns for the maximum BEXP of the turns portion and go for full recruitment. I'm also playing of Fixed Mode.

Unfortunately, I'm already on chapter 12 so I won't be able to cover the earlier chapters in too much detail. Here is some of the impressions I've been getting:
- Earlygame is mostly a Titania stomp, with barely any room for anyone else to fit in. Titania is currently level 9 from all the kills she got from early game, which were necessary due to the high enemy density of earlygame enemies.
- Iron forges are very helpful for growth units for nabbing kills, though I don't think growth units will be able to contribute too much until given the appropriate BEXP dump.
- There is enough EXP to get Ike and one other unit trained to keep up with the pace. Not heavily contributing, just keeping up with the pace.
- Coming to midgame, the only units that are contributing heavily are still mostly units with good bases. Lethe and Mordecai can contribute heavily when transformed, Even if they don't stay transformed for very long, a few turns is more than enough considering the context, though they may need additional support to stay transformed if they're needed in certain parts of the map.
- BEXP dumping is still really good in MM. I've noted skepticism from previous threads about BEXP dumping onto Marcia, and I can say that there may be enough to turn her into a self sustaining juggernaut. There's enough to get her to level 15-16 the moment you get her, and early promoting her isn't a bad idea if you go that route. (Unpromoted Marcia gets 3RKO'd by most physical enemies in Chapter 11 at hit rates of  <50 at that level, promoting her allows for it to turn into a 4RKO at similar hit rates.) However, I do have concerns about this.
While Marcia is probably necessary for a quick clear of chapter 12, the amount of BEXP left is little. There might not be enough for BEXP dumping Jill, so there might only be one mainstay flier for the rest of the game.

Finally, the units so far, which I've split into 4 main categories:

Growth Units:

mtOkXMF.png

EhxPtbZ.png

NKidXhw.png

These 3 units are definitely being used long term, though they’re mostly just being fed kills whenever possible for now. I fed Ike a Robe and a Wing, though I’m still unsure on feeding him the latter.

Fed with lots of favouritism:

Oyq8Gg9.png

Dumping Marcia is probably necessary for obvious reasons, though it takes away a large chunk of BEXP. Note that she was promoted at LV17. The plan for this chapter is to give her a level to let her ORKO the boss and give her a Dracoshield.

(Effectively) Prepromoted Units:

z9xxEKv.png

MBdNHaY.png

Qkk4dMu.png

I wish I could have fed the insane number of kills Titania got to the growth units, but unfortunately, it’s not very possible when going with even a semblance of speed. Lethe and Mordecai have significant contributions despite their laguz gauge, though Mordecai’s speed and Lethe’s strength are a bit problematic, and Mordecai may need a stone at times.

Support:

jBUpmQj.png

Obligatory healer. I don’t think using Mist is very effective here, especially considering that she comes at LV1 with E staves, and without BEXP to feed her, this gives her great difficulty in leveling up (Rhys already has trouble as is).

Edited by MarioPokemon123456

I assume you're not planning on making use of the forged Thunder glitch, so RIP Soren. Though I question your choice of boosters on Ike, surely Boyd would be performing a lot better with the wing, given his better strength and weapon type?

32 minutes ago, Irysa said:

I assume you're not planning on making use of the forged Thunder glitch, so RIP Soren. Though I question your choice of boosters on Ike, surely Boyd would be performing a lot better with the wing, given his better strength and weapon type?

Definitely not making use of the glitch, though it would've been funny to see mages OHKOing everything in sight.

For the wing, well, I still question it myself actually. It did seem like a good idea since Ike is borderline on doubling most things earlygame, though looking back, the relevance of this is questionable, given that the growth units still aren't contributing very much. I'm still not completely certain who'd use it the best, though. Soul used it on Mordecai, though I was thinking Kieran is a good candidate and double stacking Speedwings on Jill isn't a bad idea either.

As to why not use Boyd, well, other than spreading EXP too thin, there's also the fact that I'm aiming for an Earth x Earth support for the avoid bonus. So since I'm already training Ike and Oscar (and I don't think there's enough room for 3 earlygame growth units), Boyd wasn't trained.

The main concerns mid/late are:

- Flier durability holding Ike. Marcia may have trouble with the swarms of enemies. Jill may have trouble against Sleep/Siege. Perhaps use both, or whoever does better in a particular situation, especially if you plan to recruit everyone. 

- Clearing out enemies, particularly at 1-2 range, for safe drops/routs. iirc Paladins/Jill with lots of investment borderline orko generics with Steel Forges, not even close with 1-2 range. You probably want Boyd or Nephenee (Wrath) or Soren (attack Res, probably want Vantage+Adept for durability) or Tormod (attacks Res, better Def) trained up. Can give Wrath to one of the mounts, but this obviously makes Ashnard trickier. I think there’s a few heals that go off if Ike doesn’t oneround, though technically there’s no bexp requirement then so this may work for you.

Kieran can Knight Ward for Spd growth, though if the Speedwing helps him/Mordy/whoever for a particular benchmark earlier, you can give it to him. I would give them to Jill if recruiting her.

Edited by XeKr

Chapter 12:

Gave Marcia a level, a Dracoshield, and a steel forge: +5 Mt and +15 Hit.

Soren & Rolf deployed for extra chip.

Turn 1: Marcia moves southwest, just below the ship.

Titania & Lethe each bait a Raven.

EP: Ravens with 15- speed suicide onto Marcia, everything else survives with less than half HP.

Turn 2: Marcia moves in range of the boss and chugs a vulnerary, ORKOing him on EP, barely leaving a Raven behind that fled to (presumably) use the boss' elixir to heal.

Soren and Rolf each chip a raven, Ike and Oscar take a kill.

Turn 3: Marcia unequips, heals, and places herself in front of the raven. This is to prolong the map to recruit Jill. (Note that Jill costs 2 turns to recruit here) 2 ravens spawn.

Turns 4 & 5: Marcia attacks a raven that spawned to weaken it on turn 4 PP, kills everything but a last raven, and then kills the last raven on turn 5 PP.

Turns taken: 5

Summary: Marcia does almost everything.

Chapter 13:

Javelin forge for Marcia. (+5 Mt, +25 Hit) +5 Mt was not needed for the chapter, though improved accuracy helps.

Turn 1: Marcia ORKOs a soldier towards the left.

Titania ORKOs an archer near Astrid, Ike recruits Astrid, everyone moves up. All the green except 1 dies on EP.

Turn 2: Marcia ORKOs a soldier and chokes left point.

Titania kills a soldier and chokes the right bridge.

Ike kills a Myrm, standing in front of the stairs leading to the defense point. 

Kieran weakens a soldier in the center, Jill takes the kill.

Gatrie chokes the centre and weakens an archer. Oscar kills a Myrm.

EP: 2 ravens suicide on Marcia, the other attacks Gatrie. Enemies die to Titania with a Short Axe on EP. The last green unit dies.

Turn 3: Titania chugs a vulnerary, moves up within 2 spots of the Halberdier, and equips an Iron Axe.

Ike & Co. cleanup the remaining raven & Myrm in the center damaged by the last EP, Marcia goes in front the Halberdier to the left.

EP: Enemies suicide on Titania (the Halberdier stays put, so everything attacks on 1 range), Marcia damages a Halberdier.

Turn 4: Titania chugs another vulnerary and stays put. Marcia KOs a halberdier at the centre with Kieran’s help and chokes the center. Rhys heals Marcia, Oscar kills a Halberdier weakened by Marcia on EP.

EP: A Mage and Fighter damage Oscar, Marcia weakens a Halberdier on the centre bridge.

Turn 5: Oscar, Ike, Marcia and Kieran clean up the enemies on the left and center.

Titania chugs a vulnerary and stands in front of the halberdier, weakening it on EP.

Turns 6-10: Titania kills the halberdier on the right bridge.

Kieran kills a last archer at the centre of the top of the top boat.

Marcia kills the boss (accidental crit, was planning to feed Titania).

Mordecai, Lethe, and Titania weaken the ravens for Ike, Oscar, Kieran, and Jill to nab some kills. Jill gets 3, Oscar gets 2, Kieran and Ike each get one.

Summary: Titania chokes the right bridge, Marcia exchanges between the center and left, everyone else kills enemies that were weakened, with people rotating for the last chokepoint.

Unit      Level	    HP Str Mag Skl Spd Lck Def Res   Support
Ike       13.28     35 11   3  13  16  10  10   4    A Oscar/C Titania
Titania   10.44     41 17   6  18  18  15  15  10    C Ike
Marcia    17/7.55   34 18   5  18  21  10  16  14    C Kieran
Mordecai  3.31      43 22   2  13  11  10  16   7    
Lethe     4.39      36 19   4  14  16  16  15  10    
Oscar     13.73     33 11   2  12  13   8  11   2    A Ike/C Kieran
Kieran    14.56     32 12   1  11  13   9  11   1    C Oscar
Jill      10.18     25 12   0  11  10   6  11   2    C Mist
Rhys      8.80      24  0  12   9   6  10   1  17    

C Mist was an accident, wanted to read it because why not, but accidentally saved over it. :/

Not completely certain on C Kieran for Oscar, could have tried for B Tanith.

Chapter 14:

Preparations: Gave Jill the Seraph Robe and Wings. Forged a Steel Lance for her. BEXP'd her up to level 12.

Going to try something new, putting a video here instead:

Summary: Marica head northwest to recruit Makalov, Titania charges northeast and kills the boss. A short chapter.

Turns taken: 3

Ike       13.40     35 11   3  13  16  10  10   4    A Oscar/C Titania
Titania   10.98     41 17   6  18  18  15  15  10    C Ike
Marcia    17/7.75   34 18   5  18  21  10  16  14    C Kieran
Lethe     4.39      36 19   4  14  16  16  15  10    
Oscar     14.06     33 11   3  12  13   8  12   2    A Ike/C Kieran
Kieran    15.15     32 12   1  11  14   9  11   1    C Oscar/C Marcia
Jill      12.62     34 12   1  11  13   7  12   3    C Mist
Rhys      8.80      24  0  12   9   6  10   1  17    

Should probably address a quote I forgot to right now:

On 15/03/2017 at 8:43 PM, XeKr said:

The main concerns mid/late are:

- Flier durability holding Ike. Marcia may have trouble with the swarms of enemies. Jill may have trouble against Sleep/Siege. Perhaps use both, or whoever does better in a particular situation, especially if you plan to recruit everyone. 

- Clearing out enemies, particularly at 1-2 range, for safe drops/routs. iirc Paladins/Jill with lots of investment borderline orko generics with Steel Forges, not even close with 1-2 range. You probably want Boyd or Nephenee (Wrath) or Soren (attack Res, probably want Vantage+Adept for durability) or Tormod (attacks Res, better Def) trained up. Can give Wrath to one of the mounts, but this obviously makes Ashnard trickier. I think there’s a few heals that go off if Ike doesn’t oneround, though technically there’s no bexp requirement then so this may work for you.

Kieran can Knight Ward for Spd growth, though if the Speedwing helps him/Mordy/whoever for a particular benchmark earlier, you can give it to him. I would give them to Jill if recruiting her.

- Was a bit skeptical about raising Jill after already raising Marcia. Definitely using both now though, just enough EXP for Jill to fit in.

- As helpful as it sounds to have units that can ORKO easily, I don't really think it's possible to train them now at least. Ike, Oscar, and Kieran are already starving for EXP (their still ~5 levels away from promotion and can't double anything but really slow enemies) and after Jill BEXP dump, there's not much left. I'm not sure about how useful they'll be in practice given that the team is already durable enough to be able to put into thick enemy densities taking supports into consideration, the fliers will likely hit level 20 early, and that 3 of the 4 units listed above may need heavier investments than what I've already put on the fliers (Marcia in particular). Worth considering for other playthroughs though, will have to see for myself to clarify my thoughts.

- Will be giving Ike Wrath/Resolve for Ashnard. Will attempt to beat BK as well.

- Giving Kieran Knight Ward for now to help him with speed growth, will hopefully be able to pass it to Oscar soon.

Chapter 15:

Note that the run below is not the final run. The final run includes getting the White Gem as well. Also note that this strategy does not rely on Marcia getting the boots, as the video later shows.

Summary: Marcia charges towards the boots to clear any enemies blocking the path. Jill, Lethe, and Ike charge east towards Stefan, with Sothe, Mordecai, and others tailing behind. Kieran, Oscar, and Titania bait a few flying Laguz to funnel EXP into them. Boots, Physic, Statue Frag, and White Gem (not in video) were collected.

Turns taken: 7

Note Stefan takes turns to recruit, Marcia can ORKO the boss so this map can finished in 2 turns.

Ike       15.36     37 12   4  14  17  11  11   5    A Oscar/C Titania
Titania   10.98     41 17   6  18  18  15  15  10    C Ike
Marcia    17/8.90   35 19   5  19  22  11  16  14    C Kieran
Lethe     4.73      36 19   4  14  16  16  15  10    
Oscar     14.40     33 11   3  12  13   8  12   2    A Ike/C Kieran
Kieran    16.24     33 13   1  12  14   9  12   2    C Oscar/C Marcia
Jill      14.34     35 13   1  13  14   7  12   3    C Mist
Rhys      9.13      24  0  13   9   6  10   1  17    

Muarim and Stefan will be used, having extra hands to help is always nice.

1 hour ago, MarioPokemon123456 said:

- Was a bit skeptical about raising Jill after already raising Marcia. Definitely using both now though, just enough EXP for Jill to fit in.

- As helpful as it sounds to have units that can ORKO easily, I don't really think it's possible to train them now at least. Ike, Oscar, and Kieran are already starving for EXP (their still ~5 levels away from promotion and can't double anything but really slow enemies) and after Jill BEXP dump, there's not much left. I'm not sure about how useful they'll be in practice given that the team is already durable enough to be able to put into thick enemy densities taking supports into consideration, the fliers will likely hit level 20 early, and that 3 of the 4 units listed above may need heavier investments than what I've already put on the fliers (Marcia in particular). Worth considering for other playthroughs though, will have to see for myself to clarify my thoughts.

- In various unoptimized efficiency runs I've regretted not having the other flier whenever I only train one. But I usually do full-recruitment nowadays so both are useful (and will probably do that once formally returning to my previous run if ever

- It's around C18 when all the enemies promote and density+bulk is really high so really strong 1-2 range is nice. Well I suppose this is also kinda true earlier, but there's Titania then. tbh I tend to use Calill as the filler, but I also like to use the forge glitch so eh. Of the options mentioned, Boyd/Soren have 2 early defend maps, though any investment in them slightly hurts Oscar. Tormod, and to an extent Nephenee are probably only options if forgoing the second flier, so they can get that bexp. But maybe someone with better exp optimization can train them (they also benefit from forge glitch). There is also like a million units in 17-3 and the mages are relatively harmless with Pure Water/Barrier so that's another option. 

- Also, nice C15 clear. I think if both fliers are promoted you can fly a Laguz to the appropriate location but otherwise it's a fairly chill chapter as the enemies aren't too strong (barely more stats than hard iirc). I think this kind of clear is preferable to pacifist in Maniac given how little bexp there is now. 

Edited by XeKr

21 minutes ago, XeKr said:

- In various unoptimized efficiency runs I've regretted not having the other flier whenever I only train one. But I usually do full-recruitment nowadays so both are useful (and will probably do that once formally returning to my previous run if ever

- It's around C18 when all the enemies promote and density+bulk is really high so really strong 1-2 range is nice. Well I suppose this is also kinda true earlier, but there's Titania then. tbh I tend to use Calill as the filler, but I also like to use the forge glitch so eh. Of the options mentioned, Boyd/Soren have 2 early defend maps, though any investment in them slightly hurts Oscar. Tormod, and to an extent Nephenee are probably only options if forgoing the second flier, so they can get that bexp. But maybe someone with better exp optimization can train them (they also benefit from forge glitch). There is also like a million units in 17-3 and the mages are relatively harmless with Pure Water so that's another option. 

- Was wondering what your experiences with previous efficiency runs were. Part of the reason I'm doing this is due to the lack of discussion and information on Maniac Mode so I was hoping to record this playthrough for posterity.

- I was thinking that using the lategame prepromotes as filler would be ideal in this context due to the lack of EXP that can be given to growth units. Though I am wondering how useful the mages would be without the forge glitch due to their low durability.

1 hour ago, MarioPokemon123456 said:

- Was wondering what your experiences with previous efficiency runs were. Part of the reason I'm doing this is due to the lack of discussion and information on Maniac Mode so I was hoping to record this playthrough for posterity.

- I was thinking that using the lategame prepromotes as filler would be ideal in this context due to the lack of EXP that can be given to growth units. Though I am wondering how useful the mages would be without the forge glitch due to their low durability.

I have completed and recorded an entire playthrough of MM in 119 turns, and I hope to upload this soon (it takes a while to get commentary done though). Feel free to ask me any questions you want by PM. I can upload any particular chapter you want without commentary.

Edited by Chiki

• 1 month later...

Chapter 16:

Preperations: Gave Marcia Boots. BEXP'd Jill to L18. Forged a Steel Lance: Ch 16, +5 Mt, +25 Hit.

Summary: Marcia clears a path. Other units get some EXP in the process.

Turns taken: 8

Ike       16.03     37 13   4  14  17  11  11   6    A Oscar/C Titania
Titania   11.17     42 17   6  19  19  16  15  11    C Ike
Marcia    17/10.42  36 20   5  20  23  12  16  15    C Kieran
Oscar     16.07     34 12   3  14  14   8  12   3    A Ike/C Kieran
Kieran    17.62     33 13   1  12  15   9  12   2    C Oscar/C Marcia
Jill      19.14     38 15   3  15  17   9  14   4    C Mist/C Lethe
Rhys      9.25      24  0  13   9   6  10   1  17    

Chapter 17-1:

Preperations: BEXP'd Jill to promotion. Forged a Steel Lance: Ch 17, +5 Mt, +25 Hit

Summary: Marcia charges ahead and takes out a group of enemies with 1-2 range. Other units stay at the back to rout any leftover enemies. Titania charges ahead to kill enemies that Marcia misses out on.

Chapter 17-2:

Summary: Marcia heads northeast to reach the arrive tile easily. Other units stay at the start.

Turns taken: 3

Chapter 17-3:

Summary: Marcia takes care of the initial wave of enemies southeast. Other units take care of enemies to the west. Around turn 3, the enemies waves die off. Jill was able to gain some EXP with Full Guard and Barrier, and the reinforcements were easily taken care of.

Chapter 17-4:

Summary: Marcia and Jill charge northwest to kill the boss. Had to have Marcia chokepoint in the trees on the first few turns. The strategy was not very reliable as it required rigging 1-2 dodge at 50+ hit, and could have been improved if Marcia was given a Dracoshield I was holding on to. Other units stayed near the start. A few lucky critical hits here, though they weren't necessary to this clear.

Total turns: 23

Ike       17/1.00   42 17   6  17  20  11  11   6    A Oscar/B Titania
Titania   12.26     43 18   6  19  19  16  15  11    B Ike
Marcia    17/13.75  38 21   6  21  24  13  17  15    C Kieran
Oscar     19.27     36 13   3  15  16   9  13   4    A Ike/C Kieran
Kieran    20.16     35 15   2  14  17  10  13   3    C Oscar/C Marcia
Jill      21/5.09   47 19   5  19  21  10  17   7    C Mist/C Lethe
Rhys      11.24     25  0  14  10   7  11   1  18    

On 3/20/2017 at 9:22 AM, MarioPokemon123456 said:

FE9 is one of my favorites, and Maniac isn’t the same kind of steamroll as Hard. Somewhat need to train units more with bexp scarcity, Titania falls off, foot units can have certain advantages plus various crit/proc builds improve combat instead of 9 move (flying) units onerounding everything at 1-2 range, and even niche weird little things like Astrid borderline nabbing some mid/late onerounds due to Paragon level lead + 40 starting Str growth points + Steel weapon/Str band across so many levels (note: almost certainly not optimal), etcetc. Even with forge glitch, money/forge management is a thing and the logistics of rescuetakedropping a Vantage mage can be fun at times.

If only there was animation skip and 3x effective damage. remake when

I think it’s great you’re doing this, and am interested to see your approach to chapters. You've reached the part with a minor difficulty bump, since the enemy is all promoted vs. the scrubs of HM.

wrt prepromos, I found they can’t really keep up that well later in the game (if Knight Ward!Paladins don’t have amazing combat, at least offensively, then…), though they can still contribute in various ways.

Soren with his natural Adept, the Vantage scroll, and a 14 crit Thunder (and possible Ike support) can survive some tough enemy phases, though it’s obviously still avoid/proc and therefore luck-based. Tormod can run the same build, though Guard might be preferable so Adept can go to someone else. He may take a hit or two more with his Def, avoid is slightly better due to luck, unless Ike is in range of Soren (no 1-2 until Ragnell so it’s not always good to be in support range). Calill kinda too, even without glitches, though she doesn't have Staves and Mag/Adept of Soren or move of Tormod. Possibly save some statboosters for them though obviously the fliers are strong competitors. 

The sages should oneround the most reliably though. I think Boyd misses some kills like Wyverns/Generals even with forged Hand Axes, and Nephenee would rely on Wrath crits (probably wants Adept too).

Can also just chip everything with a pally/flier, then try to clean up on player phase (w/ Reyson's help). Generally safer, though slower.

Edited by XeKr

Chapter 18:

Preparations: Gave Marcia a Dracoshield. Promoted Oscar and Kieran. Leveled Oscar to 1.90. Marcia x Kieran B. Adept & Vantage to Marcia.

Summary: Marcia charges into the the corridor before the other units to tank siege tomes while taking out other enemy units. Tanith's reinforcements take care of the wyvern riders and enemy reinforcements near the starting point.

Turns taken: 10

Ike       17/1.68   42 17   6  17  20  11  11   6    A Oscar/B Titania
Titania   -/12.84   43 18   6  19  19  16  15  11    B Ike
Marcia    17/15.61  39 22   6  22  25  13  19  15    B Kieran
Oscar     20/3.36	41 17   6  19  20  10  16   7    A Ike/C Kieran
Kieran    21/2.76   39 18   4  17  20  10  16   6    C Oscar/B Marcia
Jill      21/6.80   48 19   6  20  21  10  18   7    C Mist/C Lethe
Stefan	  -/8.68	38 19	8  27  25   5  12   9
Tanith	  -/10.47   32 16  10  18  24  18  15  13
Rhys      12.75     25  1  15  11   8  12   2  19    

Chapter 19:

Preparations: Gave Oscar and Kieran Sol. Gave Wrath to Ike. Oscar x Kieran B. Marcia x Tanith C.

Summary: Marcia baits Naesala. Tanith's reinforcements bait the wyverns into attacking them. Janaff talks to Naesala and baits the ravens towards him to prevent killing them. The Knight Ring is obtained. Marcia kills the boss.

Turns taken: 4

Ike       17/2.43   43 17   6  17  20  12  15   8    A Oscar/B Titania
Titania   12.84     43 18   6  19  19  16  15  11    B Ike
Marcia    17/16.13  40 22   7  23  26  14  19  16    B Kieran/C Tanith
Oscar     20/4.07   41 17   6  19  20  10  17   8    A Ike/B Kieran
Kieran    21/3.19   39 18   4  17  20  10  16   6    B Oscar/B Marcia
Jill      21/6.80   48 19   6  20  21  10  18   7    C Mist/C Lethe
Stefan    -/8.68    38 19   8  27  25   5  12   9
Tanith    -/10.47   32 16  10  18  24  18  15  13    C Marcia
Rhys      13.03     26  1  15  11   8  12   2  19    

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my first run of Maniac without using the forge glitch. Definitely a big step up from Hard Mode POR, relatively challenging overall but not the hardest entry in the series or anything (maybe around FE6 Hard Mode?) I'd say the difficulty is a bit of a U-shape- earlygame is annoying because all your non-Titania units have issues and lategame throws tons of promoted units/siege tomes/staffers at you but the midgame is pretty easy. Some unit impressions from the ones I used:

Ike- Struggles with earlygame offense much more so than Hard Mode, but then again so does everyone else other than Titania. Generally relies on Aether procs or crits to ORKO later in the game (might get some stuff with a forge, but forges are in high demand). I gave Ike the first Seraph Robe which he might not have needed- not sure where the optimal distribution of that is.

Boyd- Has some struggles early, but then again everyone else isn't ORKOing either and Boyd's offense usually grows faster than everyone else. Could ORKO without forges which was rare. Had some accuracy issues when not using forges, though my Boyd was Skl screwed by 4 pts which probably didn't help (Should have used the Secret Books on him instead of selling them in hindsight, but the silver forges were expensive). Used the first Speedwing on him, ended up being worth it I'd say even though durability+foot move kept him from seeing as much action as some other units later in the game. He did end up with more kills than Jill/Oscar/Kieran overall though that might be due to earlygame enemy density.

Oscar- Oscar was a bit disappointing offensively throughout the game compared to Hard Mode- even with forges he couldn't land ORKOs. My Oscar tried to compensate by being able to use magic weapons (+6 Mag blessed) which had some uses. Even though he wasn't necessarily a killing machine, his supports with Ike and Kieran were definitely useful- having the 3 of them charge as block towards the throne in chapters like 26 was a key strategy (Marcia/Jill can't survive the enemy density at that point in the game really).

Titania- Extremely necessary early in the game, but the dropoff is much harsher than Hard Mode. Once all enemies promote (C18) she's probably falling behind in Str/Def with questionable Spd. Don't underestimate her value though- I dropped her in C19 and she ended up #2 in kills at the end of the game. 

Rhys- Rhys was my sole staffer throughout the entire game and I have no complaints about his performance. Didn't need combat Exp or BEXP, just staffed it up every chapter. I didn't feel the need to steal any Physics with Volke, the 2-3 you get through the game are enough. I can see how Mist might have some benefits over him, but BEXP is much tighter in Maniac.

Marcia- Poured all the BEXP I had into Marcia, in addition to 2 Energy Drops, 2 Dracoshields, the Boots, and a Seraph Robe. Promoted at level 19 right before the ravens chapter. I would say that she was definitely worth the investment overall, having an 11 Mov flier that could ORKO almost any enemy at 1 range, many at 1-2 range, and have high physical and magical durability made a large portion of the game much easier. However, as opposed to Hard Mode she does have some offense issues late in the game- a 23 Str cap prevents her from ORKOing most enemy types even with forged Silver meaning she's relying on Adept procs. 

Lethe- Very solid unit for the middle portion of the game (C8~C16) since she has 9 Mov, is durable, doubles and ORKOs or is very close. Falls off very hard once units promote though.

Mordecai- Good for Smite stuff and his combat is OK for a little while when he transforms but too slow to be good for long.

Volke/Sothe- You don't get as many Chest Keys as in easier modes, so you either need to use the thieves sometimes or skip out on loot. I used Sothe in several chapters when I wanted a second thief.

Kieran- Kieran was a very solid unit, especially with no investment in him other than some time with the Knight Ward he shared with Oscar. His bases are just good enough to be able to get combat exp. Even Kieran needed Steel/Silver Axe forges to ORKO things however- Maniac Mode enemies are just that bulky.

Jill- Jill received all the BEXP from C12-C17 as well as the second Speedwing. I would say it was definitely worth it, having a second powerful flier was invaluable. She ended up with the best offense on the team (having 4 more Str and axes compared to Marcia was much better lategame). She definitely has to watch out for all the siege tomes though- investing in Pure Water is recommended. She didn't really have supports, but she didn't end up needing them.

Stefan- Can consistently double and ORKO fairly frequently upon join (using stuff like the Silver Blade). No one else can use the Vague Katti for a long time either which gives him pretty good crit chances. Has some durability issues lategame because Wyvern Lords and stuff 2HKO him and random shit does have crit rates on him (I sold the Ashera Icon instead of giving it to him). Good filler.

Muarim- I like using Demi Band Muarim on Hard Mode but he falls off after a few chapters here. Once enemies promote he's just too slow without enough Mt.

Tanith- Reinforce is very handy- the Falcoknight has good offense through the end of the game. The Pegasus Knights end up tinking enemies pretty quickly but they're good siege tome/ballista fodder. Tanith herself is pretty good as well with consistent doubling, ORKOing unpromoted Wyverns with the Sonic Sword/ getting some ORKOs with forges/supporting Marcia. 

Reyson- I saved all my Laguz Stones for Reyson and didn't regret it. Refreshers always good.

Calill- Siege toming still works just as well in C22 as it did before and it helped clear some enemies out of the way in later chapters as well. Outside of siege toming, her combat was OK, was able to double with some BEXP and ORKO some things. Low durability was a pain though- with the enemy density you can't clear out all the enemies most of the time so being 2HKOd is rough. 

Ranulf- Used Demi Band Ranulf as filler in a few chapters when I had extra slots, he was pretty underwhelming. 20 AS is actually kinda slow in Maniac.

Haar- Too slow in Maniac so his combat isn't very good, but having an extra flier as a distraction was occasionally helpful. 

Edited by -Cynthia-