Your favorite of the brothers?

Dragoncat

Who's your favorite?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Oscar
    • Boyd
    • Rolf

Simple topic, out of the three GM bros, who's your favorite? I don't care whether you base it on who's the best unit, who has the best personality, or whatever. Your favorite is your favorite.

My thoughts and headcanons:

Oscar: All around good guy, responsible, calm, great at being the oldest sibling. I imagine he'd turn into the protective big brother from hell if someone bullied either of his younger brothers and I bet that extends to the battlefield, he'd also probably not tolerate enemies attacking defenseless healers. In fanfic and RP, I made up a story from their childhood that I often use as an example of his protective nature: a kid pushed Boyd down in the mud and Oscar turned around and slam dunked the bully into the mud face first, and after that, it never happened again. I also attempted to explain his squint by saying his eyesight suddenly got blurry when he reached the teen years for reasons unknown. I ship him with Tanith, it would be a long distance thing, making him the last of them to have a kid/kids. Yes, even Rolf gets some...see my thoughts on him for explanation. I haven't designed any kids for Oscar and Tanith but I imagine they'll be there.

Boyd: Probably the original hotheaded dorky axe fighter. Hector is a lord, he doesn't count. Maybe there were others before him but meh. He's so much fun to write and he's earned my favorite spot. I headcanon that he's terrified of heights, which makes the ship I do for him very amusing. ...I'll just say it, I ship him with an OC. I know people roll their eyes at OC x Canon pairings, but when I made said OC, I actually wasn't planning on shipping her with him. It just happened, I played through PoR and thought: "They'd go well together." My OC Cerai is a wyvern rider, and full of sarcasm and snark. A running gag is her having to forcefully airlift him to safety on the battlefield because he's too stubborn to admit when he's in over his head. He ends up dangling from a wyvern's claws, squirming and spewing profanities, and then put down someplace safe. Their first born is a son, who Rolf trains as an archer. Their second kid is a daughter, huge tomboy, takes up the axe like her dad. Female axe fighter yaaaaayy.

Rolf: My second favorite. His interactions with Boyd are priceless, and I wonder if Oscar ever gets tired of having to referee. I prefer him over Shinon for the sole reason that he's not a racist jerk. Plus it's cool to see this little "runt" as Boyd calls him turning all the enemies into bloody, pulpy pincushions, he can easily be just as good or better than Shinon. Him and Mist are the definition of adorable. Seriously, IS? BOYD and Mist? I still scratch my head about that. Age difference and it just makes more sense for Mist to be with Rolf, if Boyd has to be with a canon character, perhaps Mia? Oh but Cerai just said she's not sharing her man xD Anyway, I headcanon Rolf and Mist having a daughter named Lily.

I like them all, but Boyd takes my favorite spot because he can be super funny, especially around Rolf. lol Also, he's super valuable gameplay-wise. And I agree, Boyd and Mia could've had great interactions. Though I don't mind Boyd x Mist, even though I also prefer Rolf x Mist.

Edited by Anacybele

Wow, look at the poll so far...Boyd's gonna be strutting around like he owns the place for who knows how long. More than he already does lol.

I think the reason Boyd (my fav) and Mist end up together is because you could see their chemistry from the start of Path of radiance.  Yeah, I thought it was odd, since Rolf and Mist make a much better pair, even support wise, they give each other better bonuses to combat.  But Boyd is a big muscle head, just like Ikeypoo.  Is it coincidence that mist sees something in him that rolf can't fufil?  I THINK NOT!  Fan fics and Head cannons are cool and all, (Edward X Lyre is my headcannon, even after that horrible 2 page fanfic I wrote) but I think that Boyd and Mist fit eachother.  Boyd protects mist, and Mist makes sure Boyd doesn't cause a huge panic.  (Plus she can make him clothes.)

Edited by Lord Tullus

Just now, Dragoncat said:

I can see that I guess, but...it makes me feel super sorry for Rolf :(

I wouldn't worry about Rolf.  He's got Generic crimean lass from RD.

3 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

That is kind of true. I myself am guilty of pairing canon characters with OCs or unnamed people (Ranulf and Geoffrey are the main ones, and Rolf will probably be someone whose spouse goes unnamed), some completely off screen, so...

Edited by Anacybele

Boyd. He's absolutely hilarious, and definitely gave early Path of Radiance a lot of its memorable and standout moments... I mean, how the heck did he break his axe on his first ever outing as a mercenary? His rivalry with Ike is a classic one, even if Ike is infinitely more important and/or powerful than him in-universe, lol. His support with Titania makes me laugh out loud to this day. The guy has a fantastic tendency to fall into "open mouth, insert foot" syndrome.

Not to mention, him being an incredible unit in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Best Warrior 2k17.

Oscar is okay, but I love him reacting to other characters rather than the character himself. He's the ultimate straight man comedy duo with Kieran in their supports. Dependable and normal. The Mercenaries and Kieran need someone like him around.

Rolf is adorable, and I can appreciate his character development from scared child to pulling his own weight as a badass sniper, not to mention the maturity he shows in the "Brothers" conversation. I was genuinely surprised at how he held no anger toward his mother abandoning him, unlike Boyd and even the usually cool Oscar. The mercenaries are indeed the best family for you, Rolf. :lol:

I have a lot of feelings about these guys in general, wow

1 hour ago, Lord Tullus said:

wait what...is this a cutscene i missed

gonna go with rolf.  something compelling about the small child whose innocence is forcibly removed from material conditions of war.  shinon predicts he can surpass his brothers, and going by the gameplay of the marksman class, that's pretty much true.  

boyd is kind of an annoying caricature.  oscar is ok though.  

Edited by Radiant head

55 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Boyd. He's absolutely hilarious, and definitely gave early Path of Radiance a lot of its memorable and standout moments... I mean, how the heck did he break his axe on his first ever outing as a mercenary? His rivalry with Ike is a classic one, even if Ike is infinitely more important and/or powerful than him in-universe, lol. His support with Titania makes me laugh out loud to this day. The guy has a fantastic tendency to fall into "open mouth, insert foot" syndrome.

Not to mention, him being an incredible unit in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Best Warrior 2k17.

Oscar is okay, but I love him reacting to other characters rather than the character himself. He's the ultimate straight man comedy duo with Kieran in their supports. Dependable and normal. The Mercenaries and Kieran need someone like him around.

Rolf is adorable, and I can appreciate his character development from scared child to pulling his own weight as a badass sniper, not to mention the maturity he shows in the "Brothers" conversation. I was genuinely surprised at how he held no anger toward his mother abandoning him, unlike Boyd and even the usually cool Oscar. The mercenaries are indeed the best family for you, Rolf. :lol:

I have a lot of feelings about these guys in general, wow

I absolutely love this post. Lol "open mouth insert foot". Boyd described in one sentence...

That convo with Rolf's mom...omg the feels. "I gave you up years ago, now I want you to abandon the only family you've known" Um, no thanks. I can see Rolf, since he doesn't hold anything against her, giving her the benefit of the doubt and allowing her to be Grandma to his daughter. Yeah, I'm still running on my headcanon. Also I say Boyd and Oscar's mom is still alive and she spoils Boyd and Cerai's kids rotten. She gives their son a chocolate cake the size of his head lol. Both of Cerai's parents are dead by that time, so yeah...she doesn't have any competition.

Rolf is incredibly cute (and so is Tormod), gotta like him for that. And I like his bond with Shinon. Though it's a shame he can't get an ending with Mist (I'd totally not mind him getting Marcia though). All his supports/relations are good. Oscar does the calm knight archetype well enough (plus that Earth support is beautiful). Boyd is my least favorite, but there is always the humor of having a Valkyrie Mist shove him in PoR Chapter 17.

Oscar, due to being a hardworking Knight who had to basically raise the other 2, not to mention that he's quite the well written character in his supports, and I quite like his interactions with Tanith.

Gonna have to give it to Rolf. Love the student-teacher narrative with Shinon. And he was the first time Fire Emblem writers acknowledged the grimy-ness of having child soldiers through his supports with Mist and Shinon. I like Boyd a lot in 9, but his 10 redesign made me laugh and not in a good way. Plus I totally don't buy the relationship with Mist, they have nothing in common. Not that I think Rolf and Mist would be especially better, I mean, would you date your grade school crush? I don't have much of an opinion of Oscar.

7 hours ago, Gustavos said:

Not that I think Rolf and Mist would be especially better, I mean, would you date your grade school crush?

If said grade school crush stays in my life and remains a friend through middle/highschool through adulthood, then maybe I would. Childhood friend pairings are cute. Sure, it would be awkward at first, but you already know them, their likes/dislikes, hopes and dreams etc.

I like Oscar. The responsible knight is always my preferred choice :D

I like Boyd as a comedic character. He's not one of my favourites, but I use him a fair bit.

I don't like Rolf. I never particularly like the kiddie characters and he was just so meh for me. Plus given how much Sothe grows and I don't think he changes a jot? I know Tormod doesn't either (not keen on him either), but at least he yells at Sothe about it xD I wish they hadn't been so insistent on keeping their kiddie characters as basically children... and hulking out Boyd and Ike...

Rolf for the simple reason I really like archers. I don't care about what people say that it's the worst class, I'd fill my party with archers and mages any day.

Plus Oscar and Boyd keep getting screwed by the RNG for me, I have never had a good Oscar/Boyd, only okay ones at best and horrible ones at worst. One day I want to get a good Oscar so I can abuse the earth supports fully in PoR and laugh at enemies as they can never hit.

Personality wise I kind of don't have a strong opinion on any of them?

I like Boyd the most. He tends to be amusing, has a decent pool of supports and I always had a thing for axe users.

Rolf is second. He's got some good moments like his support with Tauroneo and the whole thing with his mother.

Oscar is last. He's a nice guy but a little bit to normal. He has issues standing out among his more colorful brothers. 

40 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oscar is last. He's a nice guy but a little bit to normal. He has issues standing out among his more colorful brothers. 

Yeah, this. He can be colorful/memorable around Kieran though. Love how he calls him "Sir Simpleton" lol.

Aw, I thought we were talking about brothers in general, so I came in here hoping to vote for Reyson. 

Oh well, I never really cared for anyone on that list to be honest, but I do like Oscar's caring nature, so I voted for him.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Oscar simply because on my first playthrough, he gained speed for each of his first 8 levels and was generally ridiculously OP. None of the three do too much for me as characters although Oscar's interactions with Kieran are certainly funny, and I do like the "caring parent figure" character more than the "hot-headed kid" and "cute kid" characters at base. Though the others do have their moments too.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Aw, I thought we were talking about brothers in general, so I came in here hoping to vote for Reyson. 

Reyson is awesome, ngl.

The poll is tied.*legasp*

On 3/16/2017 at 0:58 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

(I'd totally not mind him getting Marcia though).

...Dude. You do realize that Rolf is like 13, right? And that Marcia is clearly an adult woman?

Also, she belongs to Kieran! :P

Edited by Anacybele