Training Tower Quest Woes

Falcom

This has happened to me more than once, and it's starting to get annoying, where I forget a unit on my team isn't Infantry, and don't realize it until after I've done the 10th Stratum and wonder why I didn't get credit.  I need a warning to remind me, "Hey, dumbass, Hector isn't Infantry!"

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

This has happened to me more than once, and it's starting to get annoying, where I forget a unit on my team isn't Infantry, and don't realize it until after I've done the 10th Stratum and wonder why I didn't get credit.  I need a warning to remind me, "Hey, dumbass, Hector isn't Infantry!"

Me: Carefully plans full infantry team. Swaps F!Robin for Narcian last minute because mind blank. Defeats map soundly. Wonders why I didn't get popup. Remember. Curse. -.- 

I've done that only once so far, but I hate the top floor so much, that's already one too often! 

1 minute ago, Cute Chao said:

Me: Carefully plans full infantry team. Swaps F!Robin for Narcian last minute because mind blank. Defeats map soundly. Wonders why I didn't get popup. Remember. Curse. -.- 

I've done that only once so far, but I hate the top floor so much, that's already one too often! 

I've also said it before, and I'll say it again.  I wish you could swap Allies in and out from the Battle Menu, and not have to go into the Ally menu and mix around one of your 5 pre-set teams every time.  It's quite tedious.  I like having a few favorited teams for a quick go-to, but when I have to tailor my team to the match-ups on the 10th floor every single battle, the lack of convenience is more glaring.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I've also said it before, and I'll say it again.  I wish you could swap Allies in and out from the Battle Menu, and not have to go into the Ally menu and mix around one of your 5 pre-set teams every time.  It's quite tedious.  I like having a few favorited teams for a quick go-to, but when I have to tailor my team to the match-ups on the 10th floor every single battle, the lack of convenience is more glaring.

Oh heck, I would love that. Especially since I like to have one of the spaces blank since otherwise it keeps whoever is in the team out of the lineup when I'm sorting by rank, etc (not sure if there is an option to change that). Being able to swap would be great. Plus I might not forget what I was doing again ^.^''

Finished the all-infantry at 10th stratum quest (used Lyn, Sharena, Olivia, and Lissa). I may have the number of cavalry units for the all-cavalry quest, half of them aren't fully trained yet. I may as well train up units and hope that my units are up for the Michalis's Grand Hero Battle.

did an attempt at flierquest with most of my fliers at l34, since it was 3 swords

Took a Lights blessing to do, but it might be better when I'm actually 40. Tsubaki as expected did a ton of the work---and the hardest part is actually the Azama. Unfortunately Catria doesn't double him, so getting Luna off takes a while.

I think part of why axe fliers work so well for the quest is that they make up most of the good fliers with a strong mix of durability and damage output. Since is important because the inflated Tenth enemies will have both, even if they're deploying units that are normally really squishy or weak as a player unit. Infantry and cavalry can make up for deploying units with more lopsided stats because they can field magic users that can provide much-needed burst to tip the scales, or healers, such that they can just win through attrition. Non-axe fliers and most armours have no such benefit, making trying to bring and actually engage with the likes of Shanna, Wendy or Draug, a massive crapshoot. Things really hit the end of that that's a massive shitshow when you get lots of fast enemies with procs. One of the all-lance maps I did that should have been an easy win for my triple-axe flier team, ended up bringing 1x Est (food) and 3x Catria (the worst). The Catrias, despite Atk stats inflated to nearly 50, could barely do anything to my team, but... they all had Luna with Killer Lance+. GG.

Like, even at LV33, I found 3* Narcian actually held up really well against an all-lance Tenth, when many other units would simply be muscled out by the enemies' stat advantage—even with WTA. Beruka has also been surprisingly useful, despite having crap Spd, mediocre Atk and otherwise being undesirable for other tasks. She can just trade single-digit damage with enemies over and over (especially after Defiant Def gets going), slowly making headway due to her procs.

Cavalry quest seems pretty easy to me, but I'm abusing blade spells and skill inheritance. Good news is 3/4 units I'm using are free so the team is very easy to copy. 

Edited by BestFriendJ0

7 minutes ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

Cavalry quest seems pretty easy to me, but I'm abusing blade spells and skill inheritance. Good news is 3/4 units I'm using are free so the team is very easy to copy.

Haha, same. Ursula with Blarblade along with Gunter and Jegan to give her +24 stat boosts is killer.

Of course, I gave Ursula my Blarblade cuz she was my only blue mage cavalry... and RIGHT AFTER THAT I pulled a 5 star Reinhardt

I wish the cavalry quest was that simple for me. I have Gunter and Eliwood but.. they're both 3* and have bad IVs, meaning they don't have access to either of their cavalry buff skills. I'd have to rank both or at least one to go alongside my 5* Peri, 4* Ursula and 4* Celica(last 2 still need to be leveled).

I don't know if I think 4k feathers used on bad IV units is worth 3 orbs.

If their IVs were better I'd consider it more, mainly for potential use later if we get more quests like this.

Eliwood's ward cavalry ability does not turn into damage when combined with a blade spell, just in case that's what you were thinking.

The perfect setup would be to have two units that have hone cavalry and two units that have protect cavalry, and everyone has a blade spell.

an example would be Leo + Ursula + Cecilia + Reinhardt, with the blades and C passives inherited onto them, position them into a square then bring down your wrath upon the AI with a flurry of OHKOs. 

But I don't know who would have all of those units and the necessary sacrifices. Certainly not I.

Edited by BestFriendJ0

After spending a couple of days slowly raising three more fliers to go with Cordelia, I finally got started. Despite Cordy being the only 5* and the others not being level 40 yet (35-36), I've been managing quite well.

I honestly think the fliers one is the second-hardest, simply because there's no ranged attacks. I had to do some tricky movements to get Selena in range of Cordelia's Brave assault without leaving Cherche open to Sanaki (who was right next to Selena - talk about painful).

I'm raising a team of cavaliers, and I think they'll have an easier time of it thanks to having range, Eliwood's Ward Cavalry, and a healer. On the other hand, I have no 5* cavalry units, so there may still be problems.

Armours can go die in a hole. The game has seen fit to give me only two, and one of those is the 2* Draug.

25 minutes ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

Eliwood's ward cavalry ability does not turn into damage when combined with a blade spell, just in case that's what you were thinking.

The perfect setup would be to have two units that have hone cavalry and two units that have protect cavalry, and everyone has a blade spell.

an example would be Leo + Ursula + Cecilia + Reinhardt, with the blades and C passives inherited onto them, position them into a square then bring down your wrath upon the AI with a flurry of OHKOs. 

But I don't know who would have all of those units and the necessary sacrifices. Certainly not I.

I have an Ursula (with Blarblade already transferred) and a Cecilia (3 actually). I also have a Nino, and 2 Gunters.

So I'm thinking of making an arena team based on this. Have my Gunters give Hone Calvary to Ursula and and Cecilia, have Nino give Cecila Gronnblade.

Then I can have Ursula and Cecila both on a team with Jagan. They'll boost each other with Hone, and Jagen will use Fortify on whatever one has the most advantageous weapon triangle for the situation.

Then the 4th unit in the team can simply be me swapping in whatever my best seasonal arena unit at the time is.

I realize of course that if I want the best of the best, I'd need to replace Ursula with a different unit, since right now grand battle units can't go above 40+1 in levels, but maybe they'll add that some time in the future. 

Anyways, slightly off topic, but yeah, those blade spells on Cavalry totally rock. I was able to complete the Cavalry tower quest a lot quicker than I'm making progress on either the flyer or infantry ones, despite having far more 5 star units for those.

Armor remains a pipe dream for me at the moment though.

Edited by Mad_Scientist

56 minutes ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

The problem is that there are few maps where you can actually form up into a square due to the terrain.

It's more reliable and still plenty effective to give all 4 of the cavalry units Hone Cavalry for +18 Atk total. That way, your units only need to move in pairs.

32 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The problem is that there are few maps where you can actually form up into a square due to the terrain.

It's more reliable and still plenty effective to give all 4 of the cavalry units Hone Cavalry for +18 Atk total. That way, your units only need to move in pairs.

I said square because that with 2 Hone Cavalry diagonal from one another and 2 Protect Cavalry is optimal to maximize everyone's attack, a congo line works fairly well and with that set up and would still allow for 2 units to have a pretty much guaranteed OHKO, and forming a line is easily done on any map. The only map that gives me trouble with what I have is the map where you start at the bottom and there are mountains blocking everything except for two paths, one of the paths is blocked by a tree, and the last path is on the far left. (If only I had a picture...)

Honestly with what I have if either buffing unit dies it falls apart, so I do like your idea if they all have Hone Cavalry losing one doesn't hurt you too much, but most of the time its important to not lose any units for something like these quests, the arena, or grand hero battles. So I think your idea would actually make a far better defensive arena team than my idea since I don't think the AI knows how to abuse blade spells and buffs. But generally I trust myself (at least a little bit) to outplay the AI.

I managed to get one cavalry win...5* Lv40 Olwen, 4* 36+1 Abel, 29 Gunter, and 31 Clarine. Was fighting a Ryoma, Matthew, and some Swordie who I can't recall. Olwen did most of the work with buffs from Gunter. Gunter did tank two hits from Matthew, which honestly surprised me.

Still haven't attempted any of the armor ones.

Just done with Infantry.

Now I'm training up my Cavalry and Flying units. For Cavalry, I'm planning to field 5-star Eldigan and Peri, and 4-star Cain. For the last slot, I'm unsure of whether to go with 4-star Reinhardt or 4-star Ursula - Reinhardt hits hard, but is really slow and speed seems like a problem with my Cavalry team, while Ursula does not seem to deal enough damage with a 6 mt tome.

Edited by GespenstMK2S
Clarifying that both Reinhardt and Ursula are at 4-stars.

10 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Okay, fuck this. Trying to do the fliers one, and it feels fucking impossible. Why are all the fliers so weak? Camilla can solo a map if it's Blue only, but the other people do absolutely nothing for me. I have 4* Palla, 3* Cherche and 3* Subaki.

I think I'll just do Cavalry instead. Fuck fliers.

It REALLY helps if everyone's is at least 4*.  Just had a flier map where Palla basically murdered everything.  Had another one where Subaki took out Ryoma.

---

UPDATE:

- Cavalry team does well, as long as there aren't too many archers
- Flying team requires all physical units, and definitely NOT Draug.  Otherwise, Cherche can't handle it.

Well, I hit 20 orbs today, so I went for another Ninian roll. Only 1 blue orb. Rolled it, and while no Ninian as expected, I randomly got a 5* Catria and backed out. Welp, that's a big help toward doing the flier quest. Now I've been training up my new Catria, my bad IV dupe of 5* Camilla and a 4* Caeda to go along with my main Camilla to make up the team.

I'm mainly posting because I just want to say how frustrating Caeda is. She might be the worst 4* unit I've tried leveling so far since Matthew. Does hardly any damage unless it's green armored units and can barely take a hit, if at all from almost anything but green units. When I leveled my 4* Selena, who has the same attack, she did far better since she at least could sit and trade hits till she killed a lot of things. Caeda will just drop from blues, and can't survive more than 1 hit from most other reds. Thanks to the -res IV even mages mess her up pretty easily.

My dumb luck new Catria and Camillas will probably carry me through the quest, eventually, but Caeda's lucky she gets Hone Fliers or I'd of tossed her back into the barracks by now.

Edited by Alkaid

managed to get a few in for flierquest, so far it looks doable but definitely takes being pickier about configuration than cavquest and infantryquest is. Matthew and Azama are giving me nightmares. Especially Mattew. Even with Luna he's too hard to take down. I'm avoiding dagger now.

7 hours ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Literally the only flier I have at 4* is Shanna, and I'm not entirely convinced it's worth it to spend the time and feathers to upgrade the others and train them up for 3 orbs :/

I have Shanna. She is really bad and won't be able to carry a team past level 30; she has the dubious honour of being among those who get severely injured by those she has WTA against, and lacks the power (even with Hone Atk 3 buffing her, never mind in a quest setting where Olivia has to sit out) for Desperation to actually kill stuff in the two blows she gets before they wreck her.

Despite the 1.5x XP boost, raising units to level 40 is still a real drag. Maybe raising one armour at a time is the way to go instead of fielding them all just to train two. So fucking tedious.

Edited by Raven

I basically take that approach with any unit I'm training. If they're competent, they can usually get at least 3/4 or 4/5 of the enemies, which leads to some pretty good power leveling. With the armours, it's been an interesting exercise. Gwendolyn has enough durability that raising her wasn't too bad aside from having to stall a bunch to fight some enemies for 3-4 turns before she could kill them. By comparison, Draug has been a chore. He has Gwendolyn's damage issues, but not as much durability. He's a bit faster, so he gets doubled a bit less, but for the most part, there's a good chunk of opponents that just double armours, period, which that Spd doesn't help at all against.

Effie, on the other hand, back when I got her, was pretty much just an unstoppable bulldozer. She one-shot most things close to her level, so she just tore through most things without a care. She can kinda carry the team in Tenth, but due to no support for sustain, she usually falls after bringing down 2-3 enemies. :/