So how many here have actually played Gaiden?

Have you played Gaiden?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Have you played Gaiden?

• Yes, and completed it
    • Yes, but only parts of it
    • No, but I read/watched an LP
    • No, not at all

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, KliffIsTheOG said:

Bro, Kliff practically solo'd the game for me. He brought the final boss to minimum HP that a non-alm character can do and got consecutive crits. He is a str8 savage and a true legend

So I see our Kliff enthusiast likes his updated design :P: .

Edited by Jedi

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

So I see our Kliff enthusiast likes his updated design :P: .

it's less an "updated design" and more of just a new one

there's really nothing about it resembling his old one

not that there's anything wrong with that though, he looks pretty great

3 minutes ago, unique said:

To be fair, 75% of the original designs were pretty generic and the same, so it's nice to see the new designs give variety and provide a visual personality to the characters.

3 minutes ago, unique said:

No need to be pedantic, you knew exactly what I meant lol.

Just now, KazeNinja17 said:

To be fair, 75% of the original designs were pretty generic and the same, so it's nice to see the new designs give variety and provide a visual personality to the characters.

oh i'm really happy with it 

the old designs were okay but for the most part super unmemorable

the new ones are all really good and make the characters stand out a lot more

10 minutes ago, unique said:

There are definately similarities, particularly in the shape of the eyes, and the style of the hair (if we are talking about the in-game sprite). If you color the redesign's hair brown/orange and make his vest green, he looks surprisingly similar. But then again, I am talking about the minor details of an 8-bit sprite from the 90s so what would I know, haha

I tend not to go before FE4 when it comes to OG FE. So i've only seen a LP of Gaiden. that being said, im excited to see what they're going to do to the story because it looks like its shaping up to be actually decent.

11 hours ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Wasn't it until FE3 that they actually hired an artist to do the character design? I seem to remember something about how FE1 was just a neat side project Intsys made for fun no one expected to catch on so they just had one of the programmers draw the characters which explains the really wonky art style for the first two games.

I've played Gaiden and Beaten it around 5 or 6 times.  It's a short, fun little game with plenty of replay value, if you know how to manipulate the viliger class grades. What I mean by that is that there are many ways to change up your team, and it doesn't feel as forced as the reclassing in fates or awakening.  Yes, to me those features felt forced.  I'd urge anyone to go back and play it, but it's not required.

1 hour ago, Lord Tullus said:

it doesn't feel as forced as the reclassing in fates or awakening.  Yes, to me those features felt forced.

So reclassing in Shadow Dragon and Shin Monsho felt natural to you despite being shoehorned into games that were over a decade old at the time?

Like I said earlier, I didn't get far, but I enjoyed what I played aside from having to manually end my turns, which made it a chore to play.

Edited by Commander Xelon

5 minutes ago, Commander Xelon said:

So reclassing in Shadow Dragon and Shin Monsho felt natural to you despite being shoehorned into games that were over a decade old at the time?

Like I said earlier, I didn't get far, but I enjoyed what I played aside from having to manually end my turns, which made it a chore to play.

I think why they felt forced to me was  that they had seals and you had to buy them, as well as there being branching promotions.  In shadow dragon and new mystery, they were there and you never had to use them at any cost to your rescources.  Plus the old games needed something to spice up the gameplay.
And for some reason I like manually ending my turns.  Lets me veiw everything before I get killed by the enemy.

6 hours ago, Eleanore said:

Wasn't it until FE3 that they actually hired an artist to do the character design? I seem to remember something about how FE1 was just a neat side project Intsys made for fun no one expected to catch on so they just had one of the programmers draw the characters which explains the really wonky art style for the first two games.

Yup. You're right. Though I think that it wasn't until FE4 that they had dedicated character artists. That's why the earlier art is lower quality than Jugdral and later art, and the same with the in-game sprite portraits.

Edited by Extrasolar

4 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Yup. You're right. Though I think that it wasn't until FE4 that they had dedicated character artists. That's why the earlier art is lower quality than Jugdral and later art, and the same with the in-game sprite portraits.

Come to think of it, I don't even know how the art for FE3 look outside the game, are there even any that wasn't made later for the TCG?

That being said, I do think the actual in game sprite portraits in FE3 look polished and they are a huge step up from FE1 in a way that can't just be explained with the fact they had better hardware. I'm sure you're correct about FE4 being the first game with a dedicated character designer, but I feel like FE3 at least had competent spriters (is that a word?) on board.

A few years ago I played Gaiden and I think I reached Chapter 4.

Spoiler

Then I entered the Draco Zombie mountain or whatever it's called in Alm's route. That's okay by itself, but by that point I already finished that one tower in Celica's route and saved, so I had to restart the game.

I was so angry about this I never touched the game again. But since I already know what's going to happen I probably won't have any more nasty suprises once i'll play Echoes. Hahaha.

5 minutes ago, Zosha said:

A few years ago I played Gaiden and I think I reached Chapter 4.

Hide contents

Then I entered the Draco Zombie mountain or whatever it's called in Alm's route. That's okay by itself, but by that point I already finished that one tower in Celica's route and saved, so I had to restart the game.

I was so angry about this I never touched the game again. But since I already know what's going to happen I probably won't have any more nasty suprises once i'll play Echoes. Hahaha.

Uh, if I'm understanding this correctly, that's what you're meant to do. You rest in the dragon mountain place with Alm and after a few mandatory fights if you've completed Celica's route you are free to progress. It's not because you finished Celica's route first.

Edited by Tryhard

Just now, Tryhard said:

Hide contents

Uh, if I'm understanding this correctly, that's what you're meant to do. You rest in the dragon mountain place with Alm and after a few fights if you've completed Celica's route you are free to progress. It's not because you finished Celica's route first.

Spoiler

Once you enter the mountain you can't move as Alm. Since I had Celica enter the tower before I moved Alm to the mountain she wasn't on the map anymore, so I couldn't move at all.

Just now, Zosha said:
  Hide contents

Once you enter the mountain you can't move as Alm. Since I had Celica enter the tower before I moved Alm to the mountain she wasn't on the map anymore, so I couldn't move at all.

There's a "rest" command in the menu that makes you wait in place. You just need to use that, and more draco's will spawn until you can move.

Just now, Tryhard said:

Hide contents

There's a "rest" command in the menu that makes you wait in place. You just need to use that, and more draco's will spawn until you can move.

Spoiler

:facepalm: I never saw the rest command. Well, I guess you do learn new things everyday.

Thanks for the solution, through!