Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

What's a good budget build for a +Atk -Hp Roy? I want to have him on a usable state for Arena Assault but I can't think of anything good for him and I could use some ideas in what to inherit to him. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

What's a good budget build for a +Atk -Hp Roy? I want to have him on a usable state for Arena Assault but I can't think of anything good for him and I could use some ideas in what to inherit to him. 

Since you want him for AA, do you miss a specific counter in your roster? For example if you need another anti-Hector, you could give him armorslayer from one of the  3* units. 

Edited by mampfoid
Two 3* units with armor Slayer aren't "many"

46 minutes ago, Alexmender said:

Going off of what @mampfoid said, with Axebreaker, Roy5*+0  will be able to kill Hector+10 with just a normal Armorslayer.

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

Going off of what @mampfoid said, with Axebreaker, Roy5*+0  will be able to kill Hector+10 with just a normal Armorslayer.

Marth is fast enough to double Hector without axe breaker. With Ruby he wouldn't anymore one-round him, but it would be an approach to built a less specific counter.

Since in AA you have a preview of opponent teams 2-7, TA, gem weapons and more specific counters like raven- and wolf- tomes become quite useful. 

1 hour ago, mampfoid said:

Since you want him for AA, do you miss a specific counter in your roster? For example if you need another anti-Hector, you could give him armorslayer from one of the  3* units. 

I think the main concern for my teams would be getting enough green mage counters who can bait Nino/Elise/Sonya/Julia. I got lots of swords on my pulls but in terms of being good for mages I only have Ike, Saber and Lucina and even then Ike is pretty situational due to his -Res nature.

57 minutes ago, XRay said:

I've been thinking of leaving Roy with his Binding Blade to make him a better mage baiter, but I don't know what kind of skills work with that, like shall I make him a green slayer with TA G!Tomebreaker or go for something more general with Fury Swordbreaker. It kind of hurts that he's too balanced for my taste so I don't want to invest heavily on him but I need every unit I can for AA.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Marth is fast enough to double Hector without axe breaker. With Ruby he wouldn't anymore one-round him, but it would be an approach to built a less specific counter.

Since in AA you have a preview of opponent teams 2-7, TA, gem weapons and more specific counters like raven- and wolf- tomes become quite useful. 

Hector+10 have 28 neutral Speed, so neutral speed Roy+0 cannot double him.

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

I think the main concern for my teams would be getting enough green mage counters who can bait Nino/Elise/Sonya/Julia. I got lots of swords on my pulls but in terms of being good for mages I only have Ike, Saber and Lucina and even then Ike is pretty situational due to his -Res nature.

I've been thinking of leaving Roy with his Binding Blade to make him a better mage baiter, but I don't know what kind of skills work with that, like shall I make him a green slayer with TA G!Tomebreaker or go for something more general with Fury Swordbreaker. It kind of hurts that he's too balanced for my taste so I don't want to invest heavily on him but I need every unit I can for AA.

I would Specialize him towards green mages since you can preview the battle before hand. I just bring along hard color counters against my opponents so it is not too difficult.

1 hour ago, Alexmender said:

Do you have Lloyd, as an additional green mage bait?

Your Roy survives already an attack by every green vanilla +10 unit in the game. On attack he kills 6 of 10  mages, with GTome breaker all 10 (correct me @XRay, I used for the first time the override function in the new calculator). You could always buff him, but that's a matter of building his team mates. 

39 minutes ago, XRay said:

Hector+10 have 28 neutral Speed, so neutral speed Roy+0 cannot double him.

[...]

Yeah right, I was thinking in +0 spheres. Since the starting team and score are unknown to me, Hector +10 could become a threat. 

5 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Your Roy survives already an attack by every green vanilla +10 unit in the game. On attack he kills 6 of 10  mages, with GTome breaker all 10 (correct me @XRay, I used for the first time the override function in the new calculator). You could always buff him, but that's a matter of building his team mates. 

Yeah, neutral Roy+0 with G Tomebreaker survives all green mages [+Atk, Gronnblade, Life and Death, max Eirika buff, merge +10]. He can kill all of them except Boey, so with a Hone Attack from his ally, he can knock Boey out in one round too. Boey is not very common, so he is not really a big threat either.

Inspired by @Alexmenders question, I'm thinking about 5* promoting a sword unit with good Res stats as a green mage bait/killer for Arena assault. 

Possible candidates: 

- Caeda (+ATK -SPD)

- Lloyd 

- Eliwood (+ATK -RES)

Eliwood could become a member of second or third horse team and would profit from his unique weapon. 

Too bad Caeda is -SPD (still 40 with darting blow though) and I lack buffs for another full flyer team (except goad flyers), but she got the best Res stat of the three units. Even with +ATK she is the weakest of the three. 

Lloyd would profit from his unique sword as well but he has got the worst RES and movement type of the three. 

I like Caeda and flyers in general, but Eliwood seems to be the best choice. Am I right? Any built ideas? 

Edited by mampfoid
Typo ('s)

What would be the best C-slot for my Linde? I don't want her to have a Hone/Fortify skill, just something that will improve her matchups.

I was thinking Threaten Res, but I don't have any extra Nowis and only one Ursula. I've inherited Savage Blow when I put Draconic Aura on her, would that improve any matchups?

IMG_2285.PNG

23 minutes ago, lilacshadows said:

What would be the best C-slot for my Linde? I don't want her to have a Hone/Fortify skill, just something that will improve her matchups.

I was thinking Threaten Res, but I don't have any extra Nowis and only one Ursula. I've inherited Savage Blow when I put Draconic Aura on her, would that improve any matchups?

IMG_2285.PNG

C-Passiveses don't improve matchups for the unit who has them. Use them to support the other three unitses Linde runs with, instead.

Ploy skillses are a no-go because of her low defensive capses, and Threaten skillses are questionable because of her frailty.

Other than Honeses, Fortses and Spurses, your other choices are $$$

-Drive Atk 2

-Infantry Pulse

Why not use a Honeses, hmm? Works well for other -Blade mages on her team. Uwe hee hee.

9 minutes ago, Legion! said:

C-Passiveses don't improve matchups for the unit who has them. Use them to support the other three unitses Linde runs with, instead.

Ploy skillses are a no-go because of her low defensive capses, and Threaten skillses are questionable because of her frailty.

Other than Honeses, Fortses and Spurses, your other choices are $$$

-Drive Atk 2

-Infantry Pulse

Why not use a Honeses, hmm? Works well for other -Blade mages on her team. Uwe hee hee.

*sigh* Might as well go with Hone Speed, and create the ultimate -blade team. I've already put this much work into her, now I just need to pull a Nino...

Savage Blow for now, huh? I've found that whenever Linde misses out on a kill, she only misses by -5 hp or less.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:39 PM, XRay said:

For armor defense teams, I would put ward on everything. If you are controlling it, I would put Hone Attack on Amelia's partner and Hone Defense on Hector's partner.

Cherche should have Fortify Flier that can be obtained from Caeda once you get her, so NS!Corrin can perform to her maximum potential. Palla should be your red flier and she can keep Goad Flier.

I would not use Cordelia or Subaki since you already have Hinoka and NS!Corrin as your blue units.

Decided to put Hone Armor on Zephiel and Fortify Armor on Effie.

I think I'll hold off on doing anything more on Flier Emblem since it's far from being finished at all. Funny that Armor Emblem is closer to completion than Flier Emblem (the only thing I'm really lacking for Armor Emblem is feathers).

Pls read all to understand, sorry if I'm demanding. 

Hello!!! I was clueless about jones and threatens for a while now and I mean I dont understand who should inherit them. Ive been using threatens ever since the skill inheritance update came but I realized that many people use hones, fortifies more often just wondering if these  abilities would fit into play with some of my characters? 

So basically, what kind of C SLOT SKILLS should these characters have? I APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU GUYS DO :))))) 

the ones I wrote down are the C SKILLS I CURRENTLY HAVE- although if changing them is for the best I will. PLS READ THIS ALL TO UNDERSTAND PLS AND THANK YOU :))) 

Julia- nothing 

summer corrin- hone speed? 

Xander- threaten DEF 

Ike- threaten ATK 

Boey- threaten RES 

Elise (healer)- Breath of Life 

summer elise- nothing 

lilina- spur atk 

Leo- nothing 

emphraim- threaten DEF 

Mathilda- nothing 

Cordelia- nothing 

Hinoka- hone speed 

M Robin- spur DEF 

f Corrin- threaten SPD

azura- hone atk 3 

On 8.8.2017 at 5:08 AM, XRay said:

Yeah, I was wrong. I just tested it and Drag Back did not work on Cordelia when she attacked a cavalry unit from a forest.

Funny thing: I put drag back on Est and she attacked an armor unit on the other side of a mountain. She killed the armor and retreated to her original post, even if the armor obviously couldn't have been dragged onto the mountain. Does it work differently on different terrain? 

20 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Inspired by @Alexmenders question, I'm thinking about 5* promoting a sword unit with good Res stats as a green mage bait/killer for Arena assault. 

Possible candidates: 

- Caeda (+ATK -SPD)

- Lloyd 

- Eliwood (+ATK -RES)

Eliwood could become a member of second or third horse team and would profit from his unique weapon. 

Too bad Caeda is -SPD (still 40 with darting blow though) and I lack buffs for another full flyer team (except goad flyers), but she got the best Res stat of the three units. Even with +ATK she is the weakest of the three. 

Lloyd would profit from his unique sword as well but he has got the worst RES and movement type of the three. 

I like Caeda and flyers in general, but Eliwood seems to be the best choice. Am I right? Any built ideas? 

If it is for Arena Assault, I do not think natures matter too much. If you are putting Triangle Adept/Gem Weapon and Breaker on them as well, then it hardly matters at all in my opinion.

Points only matter on the first team, so If you have a pony team set as your first team, then I would go with Eliwood; fliers go with Caeda; infantry go with Lloyd; mixed go with Eliwood or Caeda since they have a higher merge potential. If you do not have a set team as your first, then I am not sure if it matters.

For build ideas, I like to bring hard counters. If I run out of those, I give my soft counters Triangle Adept/Gem Weapons, effective Weapons, and Breakers. You may not need both Triangle Adept/Gem Weapon and a Breaker, but having both does allow you to be a bit more lazy on the strategy side.

7 minutes ago, jaaason_d14 said:

Pls read all to understand, sorry if I'm demanding. 

Hello!!! I was clueless about jones and threatens for a while now and I mean I dont understand who should inherit them. Ive been using threatens ever since the skill inheritance update came but I realized that many people use hones, fortifies more often just wondering if these  abilities would fit into play with some of my characters? 

So basically, what kind of C SLOT SKILLS should these characters have? I APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU GUYS DO :)))))

the ones I wrote down are the C SKILLS I CURRENTLY HAVE- although if changing them is for the best I will. PLS READ THIS ALL TO UNDERSTAND PLS AND THANK YOU :))) 

Julia- nothing 

summer corrin- hone speed? 

Xander- threaten DEF 

Ike- threaten ATK 

Boey- threaten RES 

Elise (healer)- Breath of Life 

summer elise- nothing 

lilina- spur atk 

Leo- nothing 

emphraim- threaten DEF 

Mathilda- nothing 

Cordelia- nothing 

Hinoka- hone speed 

M Robin- spur DEF 

f Corrin- threaten SPD

azura- hone atk 3

I normally just slap Hone Attack and Hone Speed randomly on my units, since my Dancers/Singers have both, so it does not matter what the other supporting unit has. I have not found Hone Defense or Hone Resistance particularly useful due to my play style, but others might like them.

For armor defense teams specifically, I like to use Ward Armor since Ward Armor has less positioning restriction than Hone and Fortify. I also prefer Ward over Goad since armor units generally have enough Attack to kill something in two hits, so I just need to increase their chance of survival so they can get their second hit.

I am not a big fan of Spurs due to positioning restrictions, BUT, you should still pass them around in case a monthly quest or an event requires you to face Veronica and she can be a real pain to deal with.

15 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Funny thing: I put drag back on Est and she attacked an armor unit on the other side of a mountain. She killed the armor and retreated to her original post, even if the armor obviously couldn't have been dragged onto the mountain. Does it work differently on different terrain? 

Hm... Maybe Drag Back only does not work if the enemy survives and cannot enter a terrain? So if the unit cannot enter a terrain but you killed it, Drag Back will still take effect? That is my best guess.

I remembered my Cordelia using Drag Back on horse unit on Camu's Grand Hero Battle map and she retreated, so she might have killed the pony and then Drag Back took effect.

16 minutes ago, XRay said:

If it is for Arena Assault, I do not think natures matter too much. If you are putting Triangle Adept/Gem Weapon and Breaker on them as well, then it hardly matters at all in my opinion.

Points only matter on the first team, so If you have a pony team set as your first team, then I would go with Eliwood; fliers go with Caeda; infantry go with Lloyd; mixed go with Eliwood or Caeda since they have a higher merge potential. If you do not have a set team as your first, then I am not sure if it matters.

For build ideas, I like to bring hard counters. If I run out of those, I give my soft counters Triangle Adept/Gem Weapons, effective Weapons, and Breakers. You may not need both Triangle Adept/Gem Weapon and a Breaker, but having both does allow you to be a bit more lazy on the strategy side.

I normally just slap Hone Attack and Hone Speed randomly on my units, since my Dancers/Singers have both, so it does not matter what the other supporting unit has. I have not found Hone Defense or Hone Resistance particularly useful due to my play style, but others might like them.

For armor defense teams specifically, I like to use Ward Armor since Ward Armor has less positioning restriction than Hone and Fortify. I also prefer Ward over Goad since armor units generally have enough Attack to kill something in two hits, so I just need to increase their chance of survival so they can get their second hit.

I am not a big fan of Spurs due to positioning restrictions, BUT, you should still pass them around in case a monthly quest or an event requires you to face Veronica and she can be a real pain to deal with.

Hm... Maybe Drag Back only does not work if the enemy survives and cannot enter a terrain? So if the unit cannot enter a terrain but you killed it, Drag Back will still take effect? That is my best guess.

I remembered my Cordelia using Drag Back on horse unit on Camu's Grand Hero Battle map and she retreated, so she might have killed the pony and then Drag Back took effect.

Thx for reply! So it's basically based on my own opinion? I'm not that good at skill inheritance and usually seek guidance. 

Just now, jaaason_d14 said:

Thx for reply! So it's basically based on my own opinion? I'm not that good at skill inheritance and usually seek guidance. 

Yeah, it is mostly down to your preferences. Once a player gets a hang of the game more, they usually have a preference by that time.

You might want to stick with Hone Attack and Hone Speed first then, since they are the most commonly used. If you use two characters regularly, give one Hone Attack and the other Hone Speed. If you use a Dancer/Singer, give her both so it does not really matter what the other members use since you can just change it on your Dancer/Singer.

You might also want to sprinkle Spur Attack and Spur Speed on some units that you use, but not as frequently as your top two, just to test it out.

If you are using Blade mages, you definitely need Hone Attack and Hone Speed. You may also want to use Fortify Defense and Fortify Resistance to boost their Blade tomes further.

You could also try out Savage Blow on your ranged nukes. Savage Blow is pretty fun in my opinion.

I knew this would come to me eventually but my current arena team which is my MAIN has Ike, Delthea, Azura and Camilla 

azura- has hone ATK

delthea- has drive ATK (it's also much preferred from PM1) 

Ike- threaten ATK 

Camilla- Threaten DEF 

10 minutes ago, XRay said:

Yeah, it is mostly down to your preferences. Once a player gets a hang of the game more, they usually have a preference by that time.

You might want to stick with Hone Attack and Hone Speed first then, since they are the most commonly used. If you use two characters regularly, give one Hone Attack and the other Hone Speed. If you use a Dancer/Singer, give her both so it does not really matter what the other members use since you can just change it on your Dancer/Singer.

You might also want to sprinkle Spur Attack and Spur Speed on some units that you use, but not as frequently as your top two, just to test it out.

If you are using Blade mages, you definitely need Hone Attack and Hone Speed. You may also want to use Fortify Defense and Fortify Resistance to boost their Blade tomes further.

You could also try out Savage Blow on your ranged nukes. Savage Blow is pretty fun in my opinion.

I forgot to quote it. 

I knew this would come to me eventually but my current arena team which is my MAIN has Ike, Delthea, Azura and Camilla 

azura- has hone ATK

Ike- threaten ATK 

Camilla- Threaten DEF

Edited by jaaason_d14

Just now, jaaason_d14 said:

I forgot to quote it. 

You can always edit it in, even if it is a gigantic pain in the neck!

That being said, get a feel for what your team does, and where you miss KOs.  My "general" rule is Hone Spd on staffbots/slower units and Hone Atk for just about everyone else.  I have Fortify Res, but that's solely due to some SI quirks.

25 minutes ago, eclipse said:

You can always edit it in, even if it is a gigantic pain in the neck!

That being said, get a feel for what your team does, and where you miss KOs.  My "general" rule is Hone Spd on staffbots/slower units and Hone Atk for just about everyone else.  I have Fortify Res, but that's solely due to some SI quirks.

Thank you, I'll try that

3 hours ago, jaaason_d14 said:

I forgot to quote it. 

azura- has hone ATK

Ike- threaten ATK 

Camilla- Threaten DEF

Cool. I think Delthea and Ike are your main damage dealers then? I would put Hone Speed on Camilla so Delthea can double more often and Ike can receive less double attacks.

If you have not done so yet, I would replace Ike's Swordbreaker with Quick Riposte so Ike is guaranteed to double attack on Enemy Phase.

5 hours ago, XRay said:

[...]

First team is another, score optimized team. I just needed another green mage bait/counter for team 2-7. I guess I'll toss just a green tome breaker on Eliwood. His promotion is delayed though, because I pulled Tana who wants expensive skills. 

As for drag back: I'll try to figure out the exact behavior while leveling Est.