Why does everyone love Eirika ?

Judging by Fire Emblem Heroes voting gauntlet ,It seems that Eirika is a very popular character...and I really don't see why.

In my opinion she has a pretty boring and not original personnality plus she's not that strong as a unit. But that's not the reason why I hate her . 

If I can't stand her , it's because of the 28 chapter of the Sacred Stones, in which she gaves the stone to Lyon. SHE GAVE THE MOST POWERFUL ITEM IN THE  WORLD TO THE MAIN ANTAGONIST !! and why? Because he asked. It's not like  she didn't know he was possesed or anything, she was fully aware of that and,in the same chapter L'Arachel told her that the stone can't help Lyon so Eirika has no excuse.

My problem is: I  don't want to hate her, it makes me unable to replay Sacred Stones because I always put Eirika in the first line so that she can die (it's better for everyone if she does) but, well, it's game over. Jokes appart, a game is more enjoyable if you actually like the main character. So maybe you can say why you like Eirika so that I can try to see her that way too? Please ?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For one thing that only happens if you have her as your main hero in the story, Ephraim doesn't do that. 

And why I like Eirika? She's a nice and honest character, one of the only Lords who has to actually learn the harshness of war first hand (surprisingly this is like the only time in the entire franchise). She's a good contrast to the well honed and overconfident Ephraim.

Because she's cute

She may not be that great of a character, bu her personality is a good contrast to her brother's, like Jedi said. She grows and learns, unlike Ephraim who knew just about everything about war already.

Edited by Power Master

What do you mean by boring and unoriginal?  By the way, next to nothing is original nowadays, so you're going to need to make a bit more nuanced criticism than that (particularly, why her character is poorly done).  Anyways, regarding the cutscene, it's because she still wants to believe that her friend/potential love interest Lyon is still alive, especially after what he said to her in Jehanna.  Other people told her that he was possessed but she didn't see it for herself until this scene.

30 minutes ago, Jedi said:

And why I like Eirika? She's a nice and honest character, one of the only Lords who has to actually learn the harshness of war first hand (surprisingly this is like the only time in the entire franchise).

A lot of FE lords are like that, though.  Marth, Celica, Leaf (especially Leaf), Roy, etc.

4 minutes ago, Refa said:

A lot of FE lords are like that, though.  Marth, Celica, Leaf (especially Leaf), Roy, etc.

I wouldn't count Leif because of how he had to grow up, but he did learn the more harsher realities, I guess I meant more on the whole "she had no reason to be prepared to exist in a time as this" while the others had lands full of strife, but then again Celica fits that bill too. 

Hmm not as unique as I remembered.

You absolutely need to count Leaf, even moreso than Eirika.

Leaf lost literally everything, his parents, his childhood, and for a long time his sister too, and as a result of the war, he was basically homeless.  Not saying Eirika's situation doesn't fit the bill (it does), but Leaf's entire life was shaped by his losses.  Not to mention other stuff happening like the kidnapping of Nanna/Marita, Eyval getting stoned, Dorias's death and sacrifice, and more.    Eirika basically loses her dad and a friend, and her life isn't really shaped by it like Leaf; she's basically the same person before and after the war.

Edited by General Horace

Eirika is my fourth favorite character in the franchise, so here goes.

She's sweet and likable, and a growing character.   That stone scene is actually part of why I like her, and her bond with Lyon, she genuinely cared for him, and wanted to do whatever she could to save him.  Before that, Formortiis had only really shown his possession to Ephraim.  It's also her main flaw biting her and helping her overcome it.  

It helps she's the only female lord in the entire series who can keep her spotlight start to finish, as Ephraim will only steal the show if you pick him.  

Also she's not even that bad as a unit lol, Sacred Stones is easy.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

14 minutes ago, Refa said:

What do you mean by boring and unoriginal?  By the way, next to nothing is original nowadays, so you're going to need to make a bit more nuanced criticism than that (particularly, why her character is poorly done).  

Yeah, you're right, I mean that Eirika is the basic "I don't want war and Ilike my friends but I need to fight" FE lord character, without anything more( she's cute ? :huh:). Does not make her a poorly written character tough, just a forgivable one. 

My real grundge against her is more the whole " giving the stone " story. I mean : some of my team member die for this stone and they spend half the game saying how important it is, all of that for having that girl just giving it to the villain. It hurts. 

Anyway, I'll try to play the game again and this time giving Eirika her chance... just had to convince me that given the stone is a proof of her love for Lyon and not a proof of her stupidity. I'll also check her evolution, maybe I'll love her this time ? 

12 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

She's a pretty good unit!  I've been playing on 0% growths and she still manages to do things, partially because SS is easy and partially because Rapier is great.

5 minutes ago, Gnous said:

Yeah, you're right, I mean that Eirika is the basic "I don't want war and Ilike my friends but I need to fight" FE lord character, without anything more( she's cute ? :huh:). Does not make her a poorly written character tough, just a forgivable one. 

My real grundge against her is more the whole " giving the stone " story. I mean : some of my team member die for this stone and they spend half the game saying how important it is, all of that for having that girl just giving it to the villain. It hurts. 

Anyway, I'll try to play the game again and this time giving Eirika her chance... just had to convince me that given the stone is a proof of her love for Lyon and not a proof of her stupidity. I'll also check her evolution, maybe I'll love her this time ? 

That's fair.  It's very similar to Marth, Eliwood, and Celica, so I can see it coming off as unoriginal in places.  Like other people have said, what sets Eirika apart is her naivete and her relations to other characters in the story.  It can be more inspiring to see a relatively milquetoast character like her stand up over a born leader like Ephraim.

I know I explained why she gave him the stone, but I'm not trying to say that it shouldn't bother you (sorry if I came off that way, was just trying to explain the reasoning behind it).  I absolutely get where you're coming from, even if it didn't bother me as much as you.

At the end of the day, though, you don't need to force yourself to like her.  If you can understand why others like her (even if you disagree), that's good enough.  Anyways, if you're playing FE8 again, I'd recommend playing Ephraim Mode just because it is a different experience after Chapter 8.

2 minutes ago, Refa said:

Anyways, if you're playing FE8 again, I'd recommend playing Ephraim Mode just because it is a different experience after Chapter 8.

I played both in the same time in fact. And I liked Ephraim, unless Eirika, I can see why people keep folowing him , it makes sense( that's not the case with Eirika, why would an unexperienced young girl lead an army ? She's not good at it as proove the stonegate :lol:), maybe Eirika suffers from the comparison ? Or I place too much hope in her, I really want to se a good feminine main character in FE ( Lyn is good but she's not as important as Hector and Eliwood)

The sacred stone giveaway drops her likability like a rock. Awakening's exaggerated portrayal of her as incredibly naive is not without a grain of truth behind it.

Erika's not that bad (I generally try to be rather gentle in my criticism), I prefer Ephraim though. I mean he is a pure warrior at heart, nothing majorly different from Sigurd, Hector or Ike, but I just like him more. Points for Ephy for telling Myrrh to lay off on that whole "big brother" cliched thing that the Japanese find cute.

I also prefer Eph!Lyon to Eri!Lyon. Guy who thinks he is acting of his own free will, but is actually not > guy who is clearly tragically possessed.

Nostalgia. The first attractive anime face the (presumably male) player sees as he boots up the game. And for us "old fans", you either started with this game or 7 so that Lyn would take or share your favorite place. It helps that both of these get their own 9-10 chapters as the protagonist. Eirika would get a bad rep in terms of writing if she were in a modern game (not as bad a rep as her brother), but again, nostalgia. She's definitely a low tier in terms of gameplay alongside Gilliam, Knoll, and Tethys, but low tier in SS still means "viable, but keep some stat boosters on hand".

Edited by Gustavos

She's hot. 

And you can easily get attached to her character for like the first 9 chapters or something, kinda like with Lyn.

Heck, my only complaint with her is her naivety, but regardless, I like her as much as I like Ephraim.

I've also wondered this since I joined here. She's a bad unit(Not that it really matters in SS), and her most prominent character traits have been done before(And done better, like the case of Lief) in the franchise already. Like, she's not a bad character or anything, but the last Fire Emblem forum I posted on, she and Ephraim were more or less a joke due to the Twincest vibes, but Ephraim got a bit of slack for being a good unit and being on the up-and-up before shit went wrong(Granted, most things about SS were a joke where I came from).

She has always just seemed pretty generic to me.

Edited by Slumber

Well, i'm a sucker for tragic love stories, so that scene didn't really bother me.

I don't have any strong opinion about her, though. Not my favourite, but not my least liked either. Still more personality than Eliwood, at least.

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, Glaceon Mage said:

It helps she's the only female lord in the entire series who can keep her spotlight start to finish, as Ephraim will only steal the show if you pick him.  

Celica is in this case too, sort off. It's mostly that neither Alm nor Celica would have won alone.

I'm not a fan of her either. I remember having a hard time with her in the game so... I gave up on her. She'sokay after she gets a horse, but meh.
I was also very angry that she gave the stone to Lyon... like, really ? =_=

Basically... my first lord on my first FE. Sweet personality and I love the Seth support.

As a unit I never had problems using her all game on Hard Mode skipping tower/ruins/skirms (though we all agree that SS is still fairly easy and that starting rapier really helps).

She's good waifu material.

I'm not apologizing.
So yeah, about Eirika, she do her job as a Lord and main character, she got some simple but stable character development, I loved the moment her kindness bite her in the ass, though frankly, I think it's undertandable. Also, Eirika/Forde, this support is just so good.
Like I said, she do her job as Lord ans as a main character.
I wouldn't call her the best, but she's cool.

I agree with the OP. Eirika is far too idiotic and naive for me to like and she doesn't seem to learn anything if you pick her route since as the OP says, she hands the stone to Lyon who is clearly messed up in the head (which is a reason I never pick Eirika's route). And she just generally bored me.

I can handle some naiveness (Ike is a little naive in PoR and can still be manipulated to an extent in RD if Aimee's trickery is anything to go by lol), but...not this. It's just facepalm worthy to me. I'm also not real crazy about Eirika's design. And doesn't one of the characters point out that her skirt or something isn't ideal for battle? lol And Eirika basically replies that she likes her skirt. *rolls eyes*

That said, her A support with Seth is very very sweet and does make me ship them pretty hard. But this is the only time I ever liked her. I don't understand why anyone likes her and I probably never will. *shrug* Though she's better than Lyn or Lucina, imo. At least Eirika isn't a badly written female copy of another lord design-wise (Lucina is this to me) or a boring seemingly underwear-less tutorial lord that drops out of importance completely as soon as said tutorial is over (what Lyn is to me).

Edited by Anacybele

Eirika's naivety is a thing that is constantly made fun of. Even by the devs in other games. I don't know what rock you've been living under to say that people love her blindly. It's the same way Ninian's love by the fanbase has been relatively hidden. If you looked at her now, you'd have the same impression as the love that surfaced for Eirika during the focus and voting gauntlet.

But people also like her as a relatable character.

Simply because at one point, in one subject or another, we have been her. Whether we like to admit it or not.

She learns many things during the course of the game. And gives more room to grow than Ephraim.

That said, the OP's frustration with her is justified.

But this thread also stems from "I can't stand why people like her, so I'm going to post about it on the internet".

6 hours ago, Anacybele said:

naive for me to like and she doesn't seem to learn anything

Oh, the irony.

Edited by shadowofchaos