Fe 6-7 in Sacred Stones` style

Capibarainspace

So, I love all three of the GBA games equally. I don´t think I have a favourite but what I do know is that I prefer Fe8´s portraits by far. They are clean, crisp and they don´t have washed out colours like in fe6 and 7. 

So I decided to redo fe7-6 portraits in fe8 style. I wanted to keep true to the original design of the characters so there are no crazy colours here. I also wanted to use fe8 colours as they come (for the most part), I only adjusted them whenever a fe7-6 colour was too unique and couldn´t find a fe8 counterpart.

At the moment I only redid fe7 main characters. If people like it maybe I can make a patch to insert the sprites in-game but I don´t know anything about hacking yet so it make take awhile.

Feel free to point out any inconsistencies. Also, I´m not entirely settled on skin colours.

UPDATE:  I changed my mind and decided on Fe6 first! The Fe7 mugs in the comments are outdated.

Here´s what´s currently done,

fe6update.png.521701115b173d4723d37836b32f92b7.png

Edited by Capibarainspace
Update

I'm not sure about the colours, they seem ok for the most part, but the differences between fe7 and fe8 shading isn't just the colours, the actually shading is also pretty different, particularly on the face where they use more of the 3rd shade at the far part of the face etc

6 hours ago, BlazeKing said:

I'm not sure about the colours, they seem ok for the most part, but the differences between fe7 and fe8 shading isn't just the colours, the actually shading is also pretty different, particularly on the face where they use more of the 3rd shade at the far part of the face etc

I did use fe8´s shading colours. The 3rd shade (dark brown) in particular, although it´s a bit dark, it helps in getting rid of the yellowish tint fe7´s shading has. Or are you saying fe8´s shading is distributed differently? (sorry, I´m not sure if I understood you properly)

SqCeVIx.png
Made this when I'm supposed to be sleeping but oh well...

Not a good comparison or guide image but eh:
1) As you can see, Ephy boy has more of the third shade, which is the orangey one, not the dark brown, on the far side of his face while Eliwood has more of the second shade

2) As for the smaller things, the contrast is much stronger, obviously, as well as the colours having higher saturations than FE7, which...you already know sowhydidImentionitohwell

3) To be fair, not all FE8 mugs share the same face shading as the rest, as seen here: 6zwzsMF.png

This is really all I can offer when it comes to advice soooo yeah :B

4 minutes ago, BlazeKing said:

SqCeVIx.png
Made this when I'm supposed to be sleeping but oh well...

Not a good comparison or guide image but eh:
1) As you can see, Ephy boy has more of the third shade, which is the orangey one, not the dark brown, on the far side of his face while Eliwood has more of the second shade

2) As for the smaller things, the contrast is much stronger, obviously, as well as the colours having higher saturations than FE7, which...you already know sowhydidImentionitohwell

3) To be fair, not all FE8 mugs share the same face shading as the rest, as seen here: 6zwzsMF.png

This is really all I can offer when it comes to advice soooo yeah :B

Ahh, I see what you mean now. 

Yep, skins give me headaches. I didn´t want to change colours too much in fear of screwing things up, (and ´cause it´s a lot of work) but maybe when I finish with every portrait (fe6 in the works) I´ll adjust some of the shading. As you said not all fe8 mugs share Ephs distribution so it´s a tough task.

On that note, fe6 has even more skin colours so it´s slowly becoming a pain.

Thanks for taking the time to give advice! 

I made a fe8 skin shade sheet in order to do make my life easier. I´ll share it here for anyone would like to use it.

I didn´t bother with fe7 and fe6 since there are too many skin variants. In fe6 literally everyone and their mother have different skin shades, even the portrait´s dark border have different saturation and brightness levels. Since fe8 has much less variation I´ll have to create new skin tones for some characters of the fe6-7 cast. (e.g. Hawkeye)

Skins.png.1223c85583384f3ec731869e0807e2be.png

Note: Shades on the right column are slight variations of the ones on the left. 

On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 1:51 AM, Capibarainspace said:

Yep, fe6 is in the works. A little over half the main playable cast is done. Here´s a sneak peek,

Currentfe6.png.c8a570b1fe989eeda6e19e89989d9171.png

I like the new portrait of Rutger

I didn't think it would have THAT much of an effect on the fe6 portraits, but Igrene, Geese and Wendy in particular really pop with the fe8 colors. Looks pretty good, I'd download a color patch.

2 hours ago, Cornguy said:

I didn't think it would have THAT much of an effect on the fe6 portraits, but Igrene, Geese and Wendy in particular really pop with the fe8 colors. Looks pretty good, I'd download a color patch.

Glad you like it, the improvement is quite drastic on some characters imo. I´m settled in doing a patch but it will take some time taking into account the amount of NPCs for both games. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like what i see! Many characters seem to have more personnality with those colors.

One thing though, maybe it's just me but, the lightest color is always too dark. FE8 have high contrast between shades and the lightest one is usually (not always) ''overly'' bright. 

that apply for hairs, but also for armors to give them a shinier effect. Merlinus' scarf, Fiona's hair and Hector's armor are the palette reminding me the most FE8 style.

Than again, take it or leave it, just my little 2 cents

1 hour ago, Kratos Aurion said:

I like what i see! Many characters seem to have more personnality with those colors.

One thing though, maybe it's just me but, the lightest color is always too dark. FE8 have high contrast between shades and the lightest one is usually (not always) ''overly'' bright. 

that apply for hairs, but also for armors to give them a shinier effect. Merlinus' scarf, Fiona's hair and Hector's armor are the palette reminding me the most FE8 style.

Than again, take it or leave it, just my little 2 cents

I see what you mean. Really good advice, thank you!  I´ll see what I can do.

• 4 months later...

This project is not dead yet! Quick update:

I decided to focus on one game at a time so as to not compromise my well being... fe6 it is.

What´s done so far: All playable characters, a couple of main baddies and Npcs

What´s left: Most bosses and bandits, generic soldiers, nomads, etc and all villagers.

fe6update.png.c1d326426fdd1464c95304f19064d6cb.png

Feel free to comment or give feedback, I do this for the community so get your voice heard!  Is some colour off?, would you change something?

Of course mouth frames and chibis are also done, I just didn´t want to clutter the post.

(Please don´t upload the sprite sheet somewhere else, you can use it though ofc.)

I'm noticing an issue with Ninian's hair, specifically the middle color. It seems way too saturated and bright.
Also, Leila's middle and dark hair colors seem too similar. If the purple in her hair was a little darker, maybe that would help.
I think it would help to make Dorcas's hair a little less saturated too. His facial hair seems to stand out way too much.

Of course, this is just my opinion. All of this could just be me being an idiot and not knowing about how to use color.

7 hours ago, Melldere said:

I'm noticing an issue with Ninian's hair, specifically the middle color. It seems way too saturated and bright.
Also, Leila's middle and dark hair colors seem too similar. If the purple in her hair was a little darker, maybe that would help.
I think it would help to make Dorcas's hair a little less saturated too. His facial hair seems to stand out way too much.

Of course, this is just my opinion. All of this could just be me being an idiot and not knowing about how to use color.

5 hours ago, Mighty V said:

I second Ninian's hair looking a little funny, but otherwise I like them!

Thank you!, I agree about those, especially Ninian and Leila. I should have pointed out that the fe7 mug sheet is outdated and needs to be revised. I consider only the fe6 one in its nearly final state, I´ll update the op to reflect this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...