Less-than-5* Units: Delay upgrading to get more SP?

BANRYU

Aight I thought about asking this in the 'just wanna know 1 thing' thread, but I'm thinking there's some potential for further discussion here, what with potential maths and risk/reward situations etc. so anyway

Now that Skill Inheritance is a thing, MIGHT it be a good idea to delay upgrading 4* units to 5* until they get some more levels, possibly even up to max? Most units don't need to worry about it since they have excess SP by the time they max 5*s, but for units who have to learn particularly costly skills, or wind up using multiple possible skills for some slots, hitting max level while there's still SP that needs to be earned can be a liability. 

So where's the line here? And is there any way to know with SP growths and whatnot when it's safe to upgrade to 5*, assuming you know what skills the chara is gonna learn?

That's what I wanna know. Discuss. 

Edited by BANRYU

It's what I'm personally doing. I'm upgrading a three star Nino three times, from level 1 to level 40 to get the max SP. How much you need is dependant on the amount of different skills you want inherit. Most inheritable skills are 525SP. Most active skills are 225SP and passive skills depend. If you want Galeforce/Aether, that'll be a minimum of 750 as well. You even need Luna/Sol for Aether. Then there's the weapons. So yeah, you'll need a lot if you want to completely customize a unit.

4 minutes ago, Birdy said:

It's what I'm personally doing. I'm upgrading a three star Nino three times, from level 1 to level 40 to get the max SP. How much you need is dependant on the amount of different skills you want inherit. Most inheritable skills are 525SP. Most active skills are 225SP and passive skills depend. If you want Galeforce/Aether, that'll be a minimum of 750 as well. You even need Luna/Sol for Aether. Then there's the weapons. So yeah, you'll need a lot if you want to completely customize a unit.

The only problem is ..

training at 3* to level 40 is pretty brutal. I am training a team of 4* (of 4) to level 40 ... and it aint going that well.. (Say 90% success rate per 8th stratum)

Just now, Ryuke said:

The only problem is ..

training at 3* to level 40 is pretty brutal. I am training a team of 4* (of 4) to level 40 ... and it aint going that well.. (Say 90% success rate per 8th stratum)

Hmm, I'm training her up with 5* Shareena, Anna and Tharja, all of which I leveled to lvl.40 on 4*'s aswell, so it's not that hard for me since I can just feed her the kills that my other units just barely can't finish off.

1 minute ago, Birdy said:

Hmm, I'm training her up with 5* Shareena, Anna and Tharja, all of which I leveled to lvl.40 on 4*'s aswell, so it's not that hard for me since I can just feed her the kills that my other units just barely can't finish off.

You managed to upgrade both Anna and Shareena to 5*?

Ahh.. yeah I am one of these guys that send 4 units at once. To maximize effiency.

Maybe for 3* I will try to send 2 units per time.

Edited by Ryuke

2 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

You managed to upgrade both Anna and Shareena to 5*?

Ahh.. yeah I am one of these guys that send 4 units at once. To maximize effiency.

Maybe for 3* I will try to send 2 units per time.

I personally find it more efficient to have 3 units babysitting one (often having a dancer and a healer helps with this a lot) and having that one clear each map by themselves. 

6 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I personally find it more efficient to have 3 units babysitting one (often having a dancer and a healer helps with this a lot) and having that one clear each map by themselves. 

The only issue is ... (espeicially higher stratum)

sometimes when you have one baby sit unit ... there's some unit that your unit cannot beat at all...  (or you know .. deal 0-2 dmg and get rekt). If you move back... and let the level 40 comes in... they can either die "trying" ... or kill steal. Like at level 38-39 ... it might be better to train your level 39 units than 40.. and have some form of healer/dancer.

So far. 4* unit is passable.. idk about 3*. My Hana is 3* at 38 ... because glass cannon ... but 3* level 31 Florina is struggling. (Yeah ... I need their heavy spear for one of these impossible quest last month)

Edited by Ryuke

Just now, Ryuke said:

The only issue is ... (espeicially higher stratum)

sometimes when you have one baby sit unit ... there's some unit that your unit cannot beat at all...  (or you know .. deal 0-2 dmg and get rekt). If you move back... and let the level 40 comes in... they can either die "trying" ... or kill steal. Like at level 38-39 ... it might be better to train your level 39 units than 40.. and have some form of healer/dancer.

I solve that issue by refreshing the levels (by going to Starting Stratum then surrendering) till I get a favorable matchup. 

I would say that it's worth to train your 4* up to level 40. They'll have plenty of SP by the time they're 5* level 40 if you do that.

Below 4*, the SP gains per level are lower and it's a pain to level them beyond 20.

I agree that training 4* to Level 40 is fine (and honestly I find they perform quite well, I have 4*'s who perform better than some of my 5*'s honestly). Wouldn't do it for 3* unless you have some very specific and very expensive build in mind.

17 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I solve that issue by refreshing the levels (by going to Starting Stratum then surrendering) till I get a favorable matchup. 

In addition to this you can also use the arena (or any other maps you were planning to do that day, such as special maps or story fights/paralogues).

I'm promoting my 3*s as soon as possible (they need the boosts badly) but waiting on the 4*s because A) they're expensive so I have no choice and B) they're serviceable in many cases. Plus with inheritance being a thing, the extra SP is never a bad thing.

It's kind of funny that the exp bonus from the barracks upgrades is almost a negative if you want to get lots of SP this way. It'd be easiest to farm SP as low level as you can manage since the stamina costs for the maps are less to keep running. But you usually level up pretty fast until you hit the 30's with full exp bonuses active, not to mention the 1.5x exp bonus event right now.

This whole thing just makes me wish I had a lot more stamina potions..

I find training 3* more bearable if they have a support team of a Healer, Dancer and 5* back-up, well into the 20s, this works pretty well.  Even in the 30s, it works with neutral or favorable match-ups.  Only at the highest levels does it become tough.

I wish I had done this for my previous units I promoted.  Trying to get SP at max level is tedious beyond all hell.

35 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I find training 3* more bearable if they have a support team of a Healer, Dancer and 5* back-up, well into the 20s, this works pretty well.  Even in the 30s, it works with neutral or favorable match-ups.  Only at the highest levels does it become tough.

I wish I had done this for my previous units I promoted.  Trying to get SP at max level is tedious beyond all hell.

^ This. This is the method I used to max out Narcian and f!Robin while they were still 3*s to give them the best chance in the Arena without upgrading them. Dancer + Healer is the way to do it tbh, from level 1 to 40.

53 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

^ This. This is the method I used to max out Narcian and f!Robin while they were still 3*s to give them the best chance in the Arena without upgrading them. Dancer + Healer is the way to do it tbh, from level 1 to 40.

Yep, I also find it good for leveling up Healers.  I've got Maria, Wrys, Elise, and Clarine leveled up pretty well just from being a grinding Healbot.  You still get decent XP, even healing a level 1.