Mechanics in FE you wished they never had been added

-Avatar-sexuals, particularly in Fates. I find it very amusing that the characters locked into three (technically two) supports are the characters that had the more interesting backstories and personalities (e.g. Shura, Flora, Yukimura and Gunter).

-Biorhythm, especially in RD. I never really noticed it in PoR, but RD seemed to ramp it up x1000000 for some reason.

-Whatever RNG mechanic in Fates that allows me to consistently miss 98% hits on enemies, but lets them hit me with 19% attacks the same number of times. Such a happening only traumatized me once while playing RD years ago, and now it happens just about every few minutes that I pick up and play Fates.

I think that's it for me. Everything else doesn't offend me like the things I listed.

FE4:
+ Ginormous maps nerfing anyone who doesn't have a horse in usefulness automatically (poor, poor Arden...)
+ Pursuit being the only way to double...and in addition:
+ If you don't have Holy Blood or Pursuit, welcome to the heap of mediocrity.

FE7:
+ Those damned desert chapters, making your cavalry move at a snail's pace.
+ Forced tutorial. Lyn's story wasn't awful, but it can get tiresome when replaying.

FE9:
+ Mysteriously disappearing skills when they're removed (seriously, who thought that was a good idea?!)
+ Ashnard being untouchable except for by Ike and your laguz royal/Giffca of choice. Makes for a fairly boring boss battle, with everyone else stuck playing pure support.
+ The fact that unless you look up a guide, you're not going to be recruiting Stefan any time soon.
+ The Black Knight battle, while epic, being extremely, extremely luck based. If you get screwed and don't get those Aether procs, well, get ready to reset....
+ Sothe being the only non-laguz character unable to promote. Makes him the worst unit in the game.

FE10:
+ Ridiculously nerfed, generic supports. Talk about boring, and you missed the opportunity to flesh out the newer characters to the same extent of most of the older characters - the poor Dawn Brigade got such little development it was almost comical, considering they're the people you start the game with.
+ Locked skills not removable until after a certain point in the game (Halfshifting...)
+ Poor unit availability in a lot of cases. (RIP Fiona, Tormod...)
+ Pelleas and Sephiran only being recruitable on the second playthrough and onward. (I sold my old Wii for a Wii U...and had to beat the game once again just to be able to recruit two of my favorite characters in the game.)
+ Increasingly impossible-to-fulfill requirements to unlock the full story (have a full Ike/Soren support from POR, transfer data, beat the game at least once...)

FE11:
+ Reclassing. I've made my dislike of it clear in the reclassing topic I started - I feel like it undermines unit individuality and character, and takes away part of the challenge of the game in some aspects.
+ Kill 'em all side chapter/extra character recruitment requirements (That's literally contrary to how I usually play Fire Emblem. Why would I needlessly sacrifice my own soldiers just to get more solders, even if I don't personally care for most of them as characters?)
+ Ridiculously nerfed evasion. Seriously, it's a literal miracle from on high when any of your characters dodge an attack. What was the point of even including evasion when it only works about 20% of the time to begin with?

FE12:
+ Kris. Shoehorned into an already-established story with already-established characters, had everyone and anyone in the game kissing the ground they walked on, and overshadowed the main character of the game, while also making him look like a wimp at the same time. It wasn't Marth's story - no, it was Kris'.

FE13:
+ Second-generation kids, playable alongside the first generation, and auto-marriage S supports. I feel like a lot of Awakening and discussion around Awakening tended to degenerate into 'Waifu/Husbando Emblem' territory. ...But then again, Fates would do it worse.
+ Removal of unique critical hit animations - even in Shadow Dragon they kept criticals looking special! Cut-ins are cool at first, but get boring very quickly.
+ "Everyone can support with everyone" style supports. FE does quality over quantity, as they've shown, and trying to write a unique and interesting support for every pairing in the game is difficult. They don't succeed, a lot of the time.

FE14:
+ Shurikens/Knives/Bows in the weapon triangle. It makes no sense at all, whereas we at least have logic to the main melee weapon triangle.
+ Removal of weapon durability (I know it started in Gaiden) - even if they added the debuffs to balance it out, there is no reason to use anything beyond steel.
+  Many gimmicky chapters/maps which were more annoying than challenging - i.e., Wind Tribe level in spades.
+ Simplification of magic into a single category. Just makes it boring to use and look at, imo.
+ The Deeprealms nonsense as justification for second-generation children. Not only does it make little sense, but at times the horrific implications are too much.
+ Relevations awful unit balance - half of the people you get are flat-out unusable, even in the first chapter which they first appear. Where was the logic in that?!
+ Fates wonky RNG. So you tend to get more screwed by lower hit chances than you would in other post-Thracia games...

Edited by Extrasolar

58 minutes ago, AzureSen said:

-Locking double attacks behind Pursuit in Genealogy. Just...never again, IntSys.  Yeah sounds dumb what is the point of speed then?

-For that matter, Genealogy's unnecessarily convoluted item management system. The only thing stopping it from being worse is that you have plenty of money to burn in FE4. Makes sense more complexity is not always good

-Staves being able to miss and double in Thracia. So many wasted staff uses in a game where you can't afford to waste anything. Yeah sounds dumb or more acuratly like someone on the dev team wanted to troll players... 

-Fatigue. It could work if more carefully balanced, but Thracia's implementation just punishes the player for using useful units and ignoring less than useful units. Once again the more I hear about that game it sounds like a pure mass of masochism...

-Shadow Dragon's gaiden requirements. I do wonder what brief bout of madness inspired a recruitment method so antithetical to how much of the fanbase plays the game. Stupidest Decision in FE history

-One rank for magic. It was fine in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery where the original games didn't have multiple types of magic, but Awakening and Fates have no excuse, since they effectively have both Anima and Dark magic (even if it's only one tome in Fates). Yeah backward tome diversity was dumb... Fates is far worse though as they basically ditched even the anima distinction... Awakening at least Had Fire Thunder Wind and Dark even if only dark was separate... In fact I'd be fine with a mono tome type classification if they at least made the magic types distinct... Baby steps towards the positive after all...

-The Avatar. Gameplay-wise they've never been balanced for a number of reasons (Kris having better growths than most everyone in any given role, and Corrin and Robin having access to almost every class), and story-wise they tend to absorb all of the screen time even when they're ostensibly not the main lord. Robin was actually fairly well done outside of the ludicrous re-classing variety and blatant pseudo Paragon... I can't understand why IS allows so much options even in fates Corrin can blatantly still access nearly every class which is exactly what was broken in FE 13...   I would argue reclassing if it continues to exist should be limited to the same class number for All units player and enemy included if the games continue to be skill dependent)

-Support systems designed for the express purpose of pairing off everyone into marriages. Quantity over quality is the operative mode here, and it shows. Yes this so much... Some of the supports in Fates are particularly awful...

-Similarly, the Avatar-sexuals, who tend to be huge wastes of potential because they can only support Robin or Kamui and maybe two or three other people at best. Yes

-Fates' weapon balancing system. It's absolutely awful in terms of actual balance, and you can subvert it completely with a little forging. Agreed there is so much wrong with it though it generally can be summarized as B+ weapons are only worth selling for the most part... With Fates system I don't even get why they included Forging... Now maybe if they went back to a Tellius style forging system where forged weapons had to be crafted it might work but Fates blatant improvements for everything system really is too strong...

-Fates' throwing > magic > bows > throwing weapon triangle. Bows should never be part of a weapon triangle, and throwing and bows are too overpowered in Fates to make WTD hampering to anyone who isn't a magic user. So much agreement for this Throwing in particular is broken on a unit with actual strength growth as it becomes a physical tome class with extra debuffs... I can't understand what IS was smoking on that one... Debuffs are a good idea but giving every weapon in a class unrestricted 1-2 range when every other weapon type is restricted and debuffs is just plain bad design...

-Skills like Poison Strike and Savage Blow that deal damage outside of battle. The only upside is that they can't kill a unit on their own, but that doesn't matter when Fates (especially Conquest) throws several of them at you at once. Meh... I don't have as much a problem with this existing rather with IS deciding skills like resist status and Status immunity(with regard to out of battle damage) are things the player shouldn't have. Status should always have a mitigating method...

-The Hexing Rod. A status effect that cuts your HP in half and can't be cured or go away on its own is BS difficulty that would make Thracia proud. Once again it isn't the problem of status existing but the lack of mitigating countermeasures... They didn't even include a Restore Staff... WTF...

That's all the ones I can think of, at least for the moment.

I made comments in Purple Yeah they screwed up a lot of stuff with Fates but at least they went outside the box to explore mechanics. Status I have always felt is okay as long as the player has means to mitigate and or protect against it...

@Extrasolar  I don't think durability removal itself was the problem(In retrospect it was a solution that had been kept fixed for too long honestly) But Fates did handle it terribly. Only weapons worth Using are Iron, Steel, Killer(on tanks), Magic weapons(once again on tanks) D rank ranged weapons(on tanks...) yeah... crap weapon diversity due to over nerfing basically everything...

Edited by Dragrath

14 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

I don't think durability removal itself was the problem(In retrospect it was a solution that had been kept fixed for too long honestly) But Fates did handle it terribly. Only weapons worth Using are Iron, Steel, Killer(on tanks), Magic weapons(once again on tanks) D rank ranged weapons(on tanks...) yeah... crap weapon diversity due to over nerfing basically everything...

But there was no reason to remove durability in the first place imo. It balanced the game in that your stronger weapons - most of the time - had very limited uses, so you had to use them strategically and carefully. You had to keep spending money either to repair or buy new weapons, rather than Fates' one and done buy.

Plus, most of the time in Fates I just stick iron on everyone and win. Steel every now and then, when I need just a little extra power. I mean, I had a Hero Laslow at the end of Conquest doubling and killing everything with a Bronze Axe. Effie with a javelin carried a lot of the time to begin with.

Just...it actually removed an aspect of difficulty, which is the funny part, especially when Conquest was meant to be a return to form of the difficult FE. Sure, limited money...when you only have to buy a weapon once for everybody.

Edited by Extrasolar

28 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

Once again it isn't the problem of status existing but the lack of mitigating countermeasures... They didn't even include a Restore Staff... WTF...

Yeah, I should have been clearer. Status effects are fine if there's some way to get rid of them, which is why I didn't mention Silence or Freeze which wear off on their own pretty quick.

7 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Plus, most of the time in Fates I just stick iron on everyone and win. Steel every now and then, when I need just a little extra power. I mean, I had a Hero Laslow at the end of Conquest doubling and killing everything with a Bronze Axe. Effie with a javelin carried a lot of the time to begin with.

Pretty much this. +2 forged Iron Weapons with the occasional Steel for people with lower Strength basically carried me through Conquest's endgame no problem.

11 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Just...it actually removed an aspect of difficulty, which is the funny part, especially when Conquest was meant to be a return to form of the difficult FE. Sure, limited money...when you only have to buy a weapon once for everybody.

And a lot of the time you don't even need to do that, given the number of weapons that drop during the story and paralogues.

Seems to me that T776 had a bunch of interesting ideas, just not the best execution. Fatigue, Capturing, and Fog of War all are ideas that can potentially work, they just didn't have the time/resources to get them to in T776. Stuff like healing staffs missing and random warp tiles into an inescapable room of pure death were just plain bad though.

As for weapon durability in Fates. I kind of like that it doesn't exist. Mostly because I'm such a rare resource hoarder, hoarding pre-purchasable Silvers and Killers, Braves, Legendaries, Effectives, and Stat Boosters because I fear for "emergency situations" where I will just HAVE to use them. Said emergency situations never actually happen, and instead the stuff just rots away in my inventory. Fates freed me to actually use them all for once without fear of misuse.

I don't forge in Fates, but overall, I don't think the absence of durability, and the introduction of drawbacks to compensate, made anything way too good or bad (outside of Rajinfried obviously). Nostanking was nerfed, but still viable. Silvers were player phase only, but okay. Killers probably should have not gained that 4x multiplier. Effective weapons perhaps need another flaw, as you'll only bring them out against units they destroy. Braves were perhaps slightly too inaccurate, but otherwise fine player phase tools (Serpent Spirit is redundant with Lighting though and one of them shouldn't have existed). Duals- give them an AS loss or something I'd think they'd be balanced. Venges were okay (as were the Spies) but they just come so late, at so high a rank, and don't have 1-2 range. Javelins and the like were balanced as well. Hagakure and Waterwheel were interesting in that they're Legendaries that focus on defense instead offense, and the rest save maybe Aurgelmir were good player phase only weapons restrained by the difficulty of getting to S rank.

2 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

But there was no reason to remove durability in the first place imo. It balanced the game in that your stronger weapons - most of the time - had very limited uses, so you had to use them strategically and carefully. You had to keep spending money either to repair or buy new weapons, rather than Fates' one and done buy.

The thing is unless I was strapped for cash or in a life or death situation... (In which case I did something wrong) I never used anything in the old FEs but weapons that wasn't readily buy able ever.  Just like I never touched rare consumables in basically any game ever.

Those fancy S rank weapons? Never touched them. The brave sword? Used once to kill a particular enemy before he could potentially kill one of my other guys. Killer weapon? Are you kidding? The only durability loss was from the  battle the Navarre recruited with it was first used.

Iron, Steel, Silver and then when needed 1-2 range weapons or unit effectiveness weapons that is it. Well Unless there is an example of one of those high magic non-existent strength physical weapon/staff users with sufficient weapon rank. Then they get the magic sword/axe/lance/bow/knife but they only see combat if I absolutely have to attack or they are attacked. (The key example is Mist for the chapter where only Ike and Mist can be used versus the Black Knight so she can deal w/ the reinforcements on her own)

And did you really ever have to worry about weapons breaking in battle? Not really as you would just buy more so the only time something breaks is when you are eking out the lats usage with another weapon in the back.

The only difference in fates is I don't carry them at all anymore as the cons outweigh ever touching them... well at least some of them can be sold. The ones that can't just crowd up the convoy at best. 

Fates just let me not have to worry about restocking i.e. an improvement. Sort of like the Token dragon chick that would only exist to warm the bench because she can only attack 50 times at best. Tiki at least had some value because she could actually get more dragon stones...

Now I used to be like you I thought durability was a sacred thing that couldn't be touched without ruining Strategic value but my eyes were opened when someone pointed out that is you aren't using the fancy weapons ever then there is no point in them existing. 

The point should be there should be a type of situation where those fancy weapons actually have merit...

Edited by Dragrath
more detail & grammar

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Seems to me that T776 had a bunch of interesting ideas, just not the best execution. Fatigue, Capturing, and Fog of War all are ideas that can potentially work, they just didn't have the time/resources to get them to in T776. Stuff like healing staffs missing and random warp tiles into an inescapable room of pure death were just plain bad though.

As for weapon durability in Fates. I kind of like that it doesn't exist. Mostly because I'm such a rare resource hoarder, hoarding pre-purchasable Silvers and Killers, Braves, Legendaries, Effectives, and Stat Boosters because I fear for "emergency situations" where I will just HAVE to use them. Said emergency situations never actually happen, and instead the stuff just rots away in my inventory. Fates freed me to actually use them all for once without fear of misuse.

I don't forge in Fates, but overall, I don't think the absence of durability, and the introduction of drawbacks to compensate, made anything way too good or bad (outside of Rajinfried obviously). Nostanking was nerfed, but still viable. Silvers were player phase only, but okay. Killers probably should have not gained that 4x multiplier. Effective weapons perhaps need another flaw, as you'll only bring them out against units they destroy. Braves were perhaps slightly too inaccurate, but otherwise fine player phase tools (Serpent Spirit is redundant with Lighting though and one of them shouldn't have existed). Duals- give them an AS loss or something I'd think they'd be balanced. Venges were okay (as were the Spies) but they just come so late, at so high a rank, and don't have 1-2 range. Javelins and the like were balanced as well. Hagakure and Waterwheel were interesting in that they're Legendaries that focus on defense instead offense, and the rest save maybe Aurgelmir were good player phase only weapons restrained by the difficulty of getting to S rank.

Yeah Fates/Tharcia seem like they just didn't get things right even though tehy actually had lots of ideas that could be great in theory.

As for the weapons your complaining about I disagree.. Killer and Dual weapons were one of the few for instance that really were done right.

Dual weapons reverse the weapon triangle but suffers double penalties in exchange 

Killer have far lower might than normal as well as an avoid penalty but in exchange have an improved crit modifier. The result is an ingenious choice as killers are actually worse than iron in every way unless you get a crit. The result is a worthwhile risk and reward investment. 

-The weapons that halve attack until you attack again aren't a bad idea they should just be tweaked to halve on the enemy phase rather than just for the next attack. Simplifies things a bit

-The physical Braves are completely fine I just don't get why the Tome/Bow/Knife counterparts  could be made normally. It bothers me from consistency really. Yes the others aren't up close but the defense drop and lack of brave effect on retaliation alone are enough to outweigh the benefits for proper risk and reward.Lightning though was crap it shouldn't have existed the unlimited stat drain is way too harsh a drawback to exist in most circumstances Same for the silvers

Also unsure on  whatever they did to the "upgraded" Hand axes... 0_o just make the 1-2 range weapons unable to counter attack or trigger skills crits should be fine... (if you want to make a range 2 version it should get its own upgrade tree... (with them outside of being unable to double they would be the D/C/B rank counterparts of the normal weapons)

*If anyone knows how to merge posts let me know I couldn't put a quote in the first post

Edited by Dragrath
more detail

50 minutes ago, Dragrath said:

The thing is unless I was strapped for cash or in a life or death situation... (In which case I did something wrong) I never used anything in the old FEs but weapons that wasn't readily buyable ever.  Just like I never touched rare consumables in basically any game ever.

Those fancy S rank weapons? Never touched them. The brave sword? Used once to kill a particular enemy before he could potentially kill one of my other guys. Killer weapon? Are you kidding? The only durability loss was from the  battle the Navarre recruited with it was first used.

Yes, exactly. For the most part, that's exactly when you should be using those special weapons, by design.

Normally you're not mean to touch anything outside of the common-as-dirt iron or steel weapons, because they're balanced perfectly to the enemies (thus, not making things too easy). I did the same thing; I focused on iron/steel stuff and used stuff like the Killer Edge, the Mani Katti, and the Vague Katti when in an emergency or when I just felt like clearing a group of enemies quickly - sparingly, sure, but that's what the designers intended. That's where the balance was. It would be so easy to just cruise through the game with unlimited-use Killer Edges, but that would make the game much, much easier.

While weapon breaking was never meant to be a crucial thing that left your units in danger of dying (I mean, an iron sword is both cheap and has around 45 uses), it was there to be a slap on the wrist to remind you "Hey, you're using this strong weapon too much. If you want it for a dangerous situation, better conserve it."

Weapons like those, are, to an extent, meant to fall into "too awesome to use," just like pre-multiple Dragonstones Manaketes were, just because they make killing things so much easier.

The only difference in fates is I don't carry them at all anymore as the cons outweigh ever touching them... well at least some of them can be sold. The ones that can't just crowd up the convoy at best. 

And that's the main problem with the "stat nerf to substitute for weapon durability." You literally never touch a Silver Sword simply because it slashes your stats just to use it, and iron and steel deals enough damage without such a big nerf, and it's especially bad when you're getting attacked multiple times on enemy phase.

Imo unless you're talking about a non-Gaiden/Echoes bow, no weapon should be "player phase only."

Fates just let me not have to worry about restocking i.e. an improvement. Sort of like the Token dragon chick that would only exist to warm the bench because she can only attack 50 times at best. Tiki at least had some value because she could actually get more dragon stones...

I disagree. When I can just casually buy one weapon for each guy, stick it on them, and never even look at the weapon shop again, I see that as a bigger problem. Since FE is about resource management, managing your weapons and weapon durability was a big part of that. I feel like you lose something in that weapons are infinitely durable. (Plus, it just plain doesn't make sense from a realism/narrative standpoint. No weapon made anytime ever is indestructible, and how the hell does wielding a weapon make you less strong or less good at taking hits?)

Edited by Extrasolar

Honestly, I cant think of a single mechanic I wish IS never attempted. Maybe the way reclass worked in Awakening? But then again, I enjoyed reclass in Fates, and in FE as a whole.

FE5 experimented a lot by introducing some new and interesting game mechanics.
Some of them were awesome (capturing, skill system), some of them need work like fatigue (made an own thread how to improve it) and some of them like stave missing and random warp tiles are indeed just bad. I can't believe REV brought latter back.

I hate same turn reinforcements! :(

honestly same
But ambush spawning can be justified in certain plot situations like in chapter 10 in FE9.

Announcing ambush reinforcements is just dumb. Instead no announcement and let them appear before the player phase starts.

Edited by Magillanica Lou Mayvin

On 3/19/2017 at 5:23 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

one magic weapon level in FE13-14 (major step back in diversifying magic)

This is actually how it was in the first three games, although it's still not as interesting as having split magic types.

On 3/19/2017 at 5:23 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

FE11 Gaiden requisites (I'm still baffled how anyone could have thought that rewarding bad play is a good idea)

Yeah, agreed... I get that they wanted to help give struggling players a leg up, but they could've at least made it so that, like, there was a second set of criteria to unlock the sidequest by doing well, instead of poorly. Maybe you'd also get a tougher version of the chapter or something.

Aside from that, My Room/Private Quarters is pretty much the only mechanic I'd really rather have just be outright gone from the series. Maybe My Castle as a whole, honestly; it's a huge pacebreaker and there's absolutely nothing in it that's crucial to the gameplay that other Fire Emblem games haven't made available during maps or between chapters or something.

Gonna probably get a lot of hate for this, but I really would not object to Awakening's and Fates' skill system going away. I feel it adds too much of a grinding element, and I found skills to be more interesting when they were rather scarce, and a given unit would only have a handful of them at most.

Just now, Topaz Light said:

This is actually how it was in the first three games, although it's still not as interesting as having split magic types.

Yeah, agreed... I get that they wanted to help give struggling players a leg up, but they could've at least made it so that, like, there was a second set of criteria to unlock the sidequest by doing well, instead of poorly. Maybe you'd also get a tougher version of the chapter or something.

Aside from that, My Room/Private Quarters is pretty much the only mechanic I'd really rather have just be outright gone from the series. Maybe My Castle as a whole, honestly; it's a huge pacebreaker and there's absolutely nothing in it that's crucial to the gameplay that other Fire Emblem games haven't made available during maps or between chapters or something.

Gonna probably get a lot of hate for this, but I really would not object to Awakening's and Fates' skill system going away. I feel it adds too much of a grinding element, and I found skills to be more interesting when they were rather scarce, and a given unit would only have a handful of them at most.

I give the first three games a pass because they were the first three and came before FE4 invented splitting them.  This applies by extention to 11/12 and SoV because remakes.

Awakening and Fates don't get that excuse, and thus I consider it a step backward on their account. 

And agreed on the Awakening/Fates skill system and My Room.  FE10 had the best skill system, imo, though I didn't mind pre-inheritance Heroes system.

21 hours ago, Topaz Light said:

The first two points I can agree on readily (the latter was honestly creepy...) now if the made the "my castle" more like base preparations in Tellius it would probably feel better than the weird carnival vibe Fates seems to have tried for... You could even have multiple buildings etc. if you wanted rather than a menu... I could even see optional scouting or beast/bandit raid/monster repelling type side missions just not roulette carnival gem collection...  

Now regarding the skill system of FE13/14 I love that it is changed FE to a very skill heavy style but I could certainly see ditching the skill to class  link for non class skills(certain skills should return as permanent fixtures for specific classes personally) Instead we could see a RD like system with skill scrolls a bit more readily available. There was way too many "filler" skills in FE 13-14

Keep Initiation skills(blow series), seal series skills, Renewal, Wary Fighter/ Canto(needs to come back), Rally series, Counter/Counter magic, Warp(used more by enemy in particular FYI),Amaterasu, Proc Skills, Lunge, Switch, Shove, Smite, breaker series skills, replicate(enemies need to use it as well FYI could be excellent if the AI kept either the original or copy back near support units w/ rallies/aura buffs/staff users),  Vantage, Steal,Pick/locktouch,Paragon,Discipline,Aptitude,Blossom(better aptitude with drawbacks), Proc skills(both combat & utility),taker series/galeforce, skills like Knife/shadowgift/lumina could be interesting to see if they give units access to the whole weapon type even if the class lacked it...) I could continue but I hope I got the point across... basically relevant skills rather than the simple +number etc. skills...

On 3/19/2017 at 5:25 PM, saisymbolic said:

-Avatar-sexuals, particularly in Fates. I find it very amusing that the characters locked into three (technically two) supports are the characters that had the more interesting backstories and personalities (e.g. Shura, Flora, Yukimura and Gunter).

-Biorhythm, especially in RD. I never really noticed it in PoR, but RD seemed to ramp it up x1000000 for some reason.

-Whatever RNG mechanic in Fates that allows me to consistently miss 98% hits on enemies, but lets them hit me with 19% attacks the same number of times. Such a happening only traumatized me once while playing RD years ago, and now it happens just about every few minutes that I pick up and play Fates.

I think that's it for me. Everything else doesn't offend me like the things I listed.

I agree, I didnt mind the avatar only relationships in Awakening since they were all bonus content that had to be downloaded first, but Fates handled that really badly. There was no reason for characters in the base game to be like that. Anna was fine, she was DLC, but Gunter and Scarlet? Why?

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, Extrasolar said:

I disagree. When I can just casually buy one weapon for each guy, stick it on them, and never even look at the weapon shop again, I see that as a bigger problem. Since FE is about resource management, managing your weapons and weapon durability was a big part of that. I feel like you lose something in that weapons are infinitely durable. (Plus, it just plain doesn't make sense from a realism/narrative standpoint. No weapon made anytime ever is indestructible, and how the hell does wielding a weapon make you less strong or less good at taking hits?)

Removing durability actually adds diversity. Instead of having a bunch of Iron, Killer or 1-2 range weapons, I have my units having a bunch of different weapons for each situation. In a way, Fates have far more ressource management than any other games of the serie, since every weapons my units hold are for a strategic reason, not for a budgetary reason.

And then you have FE8, where the post game becomes soon unplayable, because of weapon durability (unless you abuse the Mine Trick. If a bug solves your game's problem, you're doing it wrong.)

Not counting, having legendary Weapons breakable is incredibly stupid (this ancient, overpowered weapon shouldn't break after a few use. Lore-Wise, it's just ridiculous.)

The system was far from perfect, but it was a huge improvement.

-But yeah, Weapon Durability wpould be my main choice for this topic. The bad far outsides the good (Are there even good points? I can't think of any...) Weapon durability was absolutely terrible, and I'm so glad it's gone, even with all the problems Fates created. It was a step in the right direction, and I can only hope they'll improve on the next game (if they add WD back, II'll be really angry.)

-How much Female units got the short end of the stick in the GBA game. Lower constitution, lower aid for mounted unit (5 less aid for no fricking reasons.), bad caps for physical units.

I'm surprised no one mentioned FE7 Ranking system (good idea, awfully implemented), or Arena Abusing. Even me would agree it's really problematic (you either die or ends up stupidingly OP.)