Grand Hero Battle: Michalis

Raven

3 minutes ago, Avestus said:

It's absolutley true. Look here (all characters are 3*):

(btw this youtuber is always good reference for heroic battles) 

Videos like this and the Ursula battle are really humbling and make me realize just how much I have to learn in regards to strategy. 

I have trouble beating these maps with full 5* teams, and this guy keeps beating them with 3* free units smh.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Avestus said:

(btw this youtuber is always good reference for heroic battles) 

Munchin' manaketes, holy awesome. BRB training up my Narcian and Subaki.

Edited by Vaximillian

I managed to beat the hard version but lunatic was too difficult for me considering the short time frame. I think I'm going to spend the next few days leveling up my +Def Ephraim so he can hold the right side of the map and make things a bit easier.

2 hours ago, azurrys said:

Alright, here’s a proper write-up of the strategy I used. It's pretty simple and shouldn’t require too many units.

What you need: a competent Archer (who can tank the Sword Cav for 1 turn), a Dancer (doesn’t need to be leveled), someone who can one-round Michalis, and a blue unit or other weakling as bait. I used Klein, Olivia, Tharja and Reinhardt in those roles (sorry Reinhardt). I can provide a few screenshots if anyone needs help visualising the positioning!

To reiterate: the dancer won't get attacked at all, so there's absolutely no need to level them. I used 4* level 23 Olivia. And I'm pretty sure any useless unit will do in the fourth slot as long as they look very tempting for Michalis to kill, though you need to make sure that the Sword Flier won't be drawn to them too (so a blue unit is ideal).

I'm almost entirely sure that the team you have selected right now will function virtually identically to the team I used in my strategy, so feel free to give it a try when the map comes back!

Oh, thank you so much! BTW, what is Reinhardt's position that Michalis is lured to attack him? I think I will use Catria for this, yeah. I'd like the screenshot if you don't mind. 

That... Actually went far smoother than I was expecting going in, especially considering how difficult Ursula's map was even with Hector to simplify things.  I took 3 tries to beat hard, and ended up running through Lunatic on my first try thanks to an interesting decision by Michalis on turn 2.

My team for both difficulties was Lvl 39 4* Olivia (+HP, -Atk), 5* Klein (+Spd, -HP), 5* Lucina (+Spd, -Res), and 5* Nowi (+HP, -Res)... I swear @MrSmokestack and I came up with our teams independently; we must just be tuned to the same strategic wavelength or something :P:

Intro Turns: These turns were purely positioning shenanigans (thank god the enemy units don't agro in these maps).  By the end, I had stationed my units on the right side; Klein sat just outside of the range of the blue pegasus knight/red cavalier (to the right of the stone wall), Olivia was positioned right behind him, Lucina chilled out directly below the stone wall, and Nowi held it down in the corner.  

Turn 1: Klein moved up and one-rounded the blue pegasus knight.  Olivia swooped in and danced Klein, allowing him to retreat behind her, although this left her in range of the cavalier. Lucina and Nowi just chilled in their spots; in theory, Nowi was supposed to have used Rally Defense on Olivia before she rescued Klein, but I forgot.  On the enemy phase, the cavalier attacked Olivia, leaving her with 3 hp (unless Olivia normally gains an extra point of HP/Defense at level 40, neutral Olivia would have perished here), and the red pegasus knight moved to the side of its cavalier brother (right above the wall).  At this point, instead of being helpful and joining the swordies by the wall, Michalis decided to be a hero and flew straight down, aiming to strike at the heart of my defenseless army...

In actuality, he just left himself open to be baited by Lucina the following turn.

Spoiler

I guess he's called the Ambitious King for a reason...

Turn 2:  With a little help from his friends (more specifically, Olivia's hips), Klein finished off the weakened cavalier and obliterated the red pegasus knight.  Lucina shifted to the bottom of the mountain to engage with Michalis, and Nowi, after finally remembering her role in the mission, Rally Defense-d Lucina.  During the enemy phase, Michalis attacked Lucina, doing a fair amount of damage but getting doubled in return.

Turn 3: Lucina finished off the weakened Narcian, and everyone else basically sat around twiddling their thumbs, waiting patiently for the errant lance unit to make his way over to the party.

Turn 20xx:  The lancer finally got within range of Klein, who promptly wiped him from the face of this good earth.  Everyone rejoiced.

On 3/20/2017 at 8:25 AM, DraceEmpressa said:

Ah... I failed to beat the Lunatic map. But at least now I know what am I facing. Any suggestion on who should I sacrifice or/and grind for Thursday?

It seems like your team is fairly well suited for this map already, but I might consider swapping Catria out for either Nowi (for Rally Defense purposes) or a dagger user, depending on whether you want to live hits better or get some extra chip damage in there.

On 3/20/2017 at 9:03 AM, MaskedAmpharos said:

Welp. Didn't manage to beat Lunatic before time ran out, despite all the stamina potions I wasted. Anyone who did beat it figure out any strategies that worked for them?

The two best team builds seem to be Powerful Archer/Dancer/Red Unit/Filler (I think I gave an alright description here, but there are a couple other examples scattered throughout the thread) and a squad of super-buffed flyers (Palla seems like the glue for all of those efforts, but I'm not intimately familiar with them myself).  It also seemed that synergistic good-stuffs teams didn't have too bad a time with the map.  In terms of units, Narcian, Minerva, Klein, dancers in general (particularly Azura), Palla, and Abel all sound like effective picks.

I also found the right side to be a little more inviting than the left or middle, but that might just be me.

Edited by red-and-soulless
Due to running out of Attachment space, all the relevant Grand Hero Battle pictures live here: http://imgur.com/a/oClwW

3 hours ago, azurrys said:

Alright, here’s a proper write-up of the strategy I used. It's pretty simple and shouldn’t require too many units.

What you need: a competent Archer (who can tank the Sword Cav for 1 turn), a Dancer (doesn’t need to be leveled), someone who can one-round Michalis, and a blue unit or other weakling as bait. I used Klein, Olivia, Tharja and Reinhardt in those roles (sorry Reinhardt). I can provide a few screenshots if anyone needs help visualising the positioning!

Turns 1, 2 and 3: Move everyone to the right flank. Position Klein just below the range of the Lance Flier with Olivia below him. Doesn’t matter where the other two go as long as everyone's grouped together. Wait one turn after positioning so everyone can move.

Turn 4: Use Klein to kill the Lance Flier. Dance for him so he can move up and attack the Sword Cavalier. It doesn’t matter if the Cavalier doesn’t die; the important thing is to get him below 50% HP so Bowbreaker doesn’t come into effect. Tharja gets behind the wall below Olivia, and Reinhardt goes below her.

Turn 5: During enemy phase, Michalis should fly down towards Reinhardt. The Sword Cavalier hits Klein, who survives, and the Sword Flier moves towards injured Klein. On player phase, use Klein to kill the Sword Flier, then dance for him so he kills the Sword Cavalier too. Reinhardt and Tharja move just out of Michalis’s range.

Turn 6: On enemy phase, Michalis draws nearer again. Kill him with Tharja. Meanwhile, the Lancer is creeping along the top. Keep Klein out of his range and on turn whatever, once the Lancer gets close enough, use Klein to kill him with Olivia dancing if necessary.

To reiterate: the dancer won't get attacked at all, so there's absolutely no need to level them. I used 4* level 23 Olivia. And I'm pretty sure any useless unit will do in the fourth slot as long as they look very tempting for Michalis to kill, though you need to make sure that the Sword Flier won't be drawn to them too (so a blue unit is ideal).

I'm almost entirely sure that the team you have selected right now will function virtually identically to the team I used in my strategy, so feel free to give it a try when the map comes back!

Might Nino work just as well as Tharja in your strategy? She's far and above the best magic user I got.

24 minutes ago, DraceEmpressa said:

Oh, thank you so much! BTW, what is Reinhardt's position that Michalis is lured to attack him? I think I will use Catria for this, yeah. I'd like the screenshot if you don't mind. 

Sure, no problem. Here's the first image before Klein gets into position:

MljeiZt.png

And here's the position to move into to lure Michalis down. (Screenshot is from after he's lured down.)

nZK9n9R.png

These are the only two screenshots I have, but I can probably rig up some charts if necessary. Feel free to ask!

7 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Might Nino work just as well as Tharja in your strategy? She's far and above the best magic user I got.

Yep. Even if Nino can't one-round, just make sure the blue unit can finish Michalis off. Ursula could probably help, or Sharena's Rally Attack should help Nino a lot too.

11 minutes ago, azurrys said:

Sure, no problem. Here's the first image before Klein gets into position:

MljeiZt.png

And here's the position to move into to lure Michalis down. (Screenshot is from after he's lured down.)

nZK9n9R.png

These are the only two screenshots I have, but I can probably rig up some charts if necessary. Feel free to ask!

Yep. Even if Nino can't one-round, just make sure the blue unit can finish Michalis off. Ursula could probably help, or Sharena's Rally Attack should help Nino a lot too.

I do have Sharena full leveled at 5* and gave her Luna from another character. Hopefully that means she can absorb a blow or two from Michalis.

Honestly, if people have a competent archer and a decent red mage, this map gets pretty cheesed. My team of Tharja, Ephraim, Takumi, and Minerva.

Turn1: Minerva baits Michealis down the mountain. Tharja, being still 4*, gets buffed by Ephraim's Siegmund for more attack next turn, these two are on the right bottom side of the mountain. Takumi on standby

Turn2: All enemies have now moved down. Tharja ORKO the stage boss, Takumi takes out the blue peg. Ephraim vs red cav. Minerva moves out of the way towards the left

Turn 3: Tharja got hit by the red peg during the enemy phase but lives. Takumi takes out the red peg. Tharja hits the blue infantry, and Minerva finishes the blue infantry off. 

11 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I do have Sharena full leveled at 5* and gave her Luna from another character. Hopefully that means she can absorb a blow or two from Michalis.

Actually I just realised that Olivia should be free that turn to dance Nino, and there's no way Nino can't 2-round Michalis, especially if rallied by Sharena. And based on the math for 5* maxed out Sharena vs. Michalis she can indeed absorb one blow from him, so if all else fails, you can tank him for one turn if Olivia can't get into position to dance Nino. I think you'll be fine!

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

So either somebody did something to Robin that they wanted him/her to forget, or Robin saw something he/she wasn't supposed to see, or Robin saw something that he/she wanted to unsee?

*akwardly looks at Chrom and Lissa*

I knew those 2 were monsters!

Robin: The last thing I remember is penetrating Chrom.

That 3* clear though. I was imagining slightly different positioning, but good to know that neutral Atk Sophia does hit that benchmark I was hoping for. Still going to train her & Subaki up to have the satisfaction of doing it myself.

10 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

If you know what I mean.

(actually, wasn't it Thoron?)

24 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Robin: The last thing I remember is penetrating Chrom.

15 minutes ago, pianime94 said:

Pierced him hard with my Thunder.

My question is, where is Lissa in all this?

7 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Yup. Missed it

oh well.

Thanks @Korath88

If I swap Ninian for Nowi (Blue Dragon).. is it feasible?

Or is there a need for dancer.

If there is, then I'm gonna have to get my Olivia to level forty which is gonna be an incredible pain in the neck.

Ah, I spent all of my Stamina on the Hard map, and I doubt my team's good for Lunatic.

I used Roy (to handle Michalis, which he did, along with taking out the swordcav, though he doesn't seem like a great pick here), Catria (flyer, baited the lance peg to aggro Michalis and his peg buddies, killed the lancer later), Jeorge (to beat the fliers; Spur SPD 2 happened to help Catria kill lance peg, which was nice and unexpected), and Sakura (healer, for healing and Fortify DEF to make sure Catria can survive one fight with Michalis). Except for Jeorge, they're all 5-Star.

I recently pulled 4-Star Effie (+HP/-ATK) and Reinhardt (don't remember boon/bane but it wasn't a terrible one, and I'll be able to 5-Star him soon for Dire Thunder), as well as 5-Star Ninian (+HP/-ATK) and Fae (forgot boon/bane, sorry), and I'm training up Effie right now, and also I have 5-Star Julia (+HP/-DEF).

Who would give me the best chance to conquer Lunatic Michalis? I don't really have a good flying unit (well, Catria's good, just not for this map), so I'm not sure how I'll deal with Lunatic. Can 4-Star Effie (around level 35-40) tank effectively in this map? Because I may need her to.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

I think a few people mentioned this, but the AI on lunatic was REALLY different.

for starters, it refused to suicide any of its units. I've never seen this in a fire emblem ever. If a unit was guaranteed to die, the ai would pull it back rather than lose it, even if said unit would manage to hurt a player unit.

This wasn't true in hard mode, where the ai acted completely normally.

1 minute ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Awesome, it so happens that I do have a lv. 40 3-star Sophia myself... along with Subaki and Narcian!

Missing the one and only dancer.

Shouldnt be bad ... no?

This guy really is tempting me to train my Subaki.. I love him... and I should.

Edited by Ryuke

15 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

for starters, it refused to suicide any of its units. I've never seen this in a fire emblem ever. If a unit was guaranteed to die, the ai would pull it back rather than lose it, even if said unit would manage to hurt a player unit.

I believe in FE5, enemies would run away if they were unable to damage your units due to either having zero damage or zero hit percent.

16 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

This wasn't true in hard mode, where the ai acted completely normally.

Are you absolutely sure the unit wasn't (1) trying to attack someone else, (2) trying to buff an ally, or (3) trying to path around an obstacle?

The AI in this game actively tries to move towards units it has advantage against while avoiding those it is disadvantaged against as long as it has a choice to do so (and there is nothing in range to immediately attack).

1 hour ago, Ryuke said:

Include this link: Japan did it .. with 3* units again

Very interesting...so all you have to do is spend some time and a few feathers to get these free units up to level 40 3* and you have a guaranteed victory.  Tempted to do this, since I already have a level 40 4* Olivia and a natural 3* Subaki...though I'm not sure on his nature, and he ate my free ones.  And he's not level 20, so I can't use Unlock Potential to see his level 1 4* stats.  Meh...don't know if it is worth the effort.

Edited by Eselred

11 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Missing the one and only dancer.

Shouldnt be bad ... no?

This guy really is tempting me to train my Subaki.. I love him... and I should.

Dooo iiiit. Subaki has saved me so many times. Him and Narcian (with some help from a slowly levelling Palla) have almost got me the fliers tenth stratum orb thing :D