New Echoes Trailer - Two Armies

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neat. Slayde against Mycen? That's some new stuff right there.

I expected them to delve more deeply into the whole "two armies" concept, but apparently not. 

A bit worried about that desert map.

i kinda liked the japanese narrator more 

the english one kinda sounds too much like a young person trying to sound old

4jQ7o8u.png 

also what the fuck's up with celica's smile here

the video was okay but it was less a trailer and more a "hey here's the deal with this weird ass game for any of you who never played gaiden"

Edited by unique

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

Neat. Slayde against Mycen? That's some new stuff right there.

I expected them to delve more deeply into the whole "two armies" concept, but apparently not. 

A bit worried about that desert map.

Looks like there are larges patches of plains tiles that make things a lot easier, at least. Now it looks like its designed to force you into the range of the archers.

Anyways, was that a more proper English version of the FE theme?

Just now, The DanMan said:

Looks like there are larges patches of plains tiles that make things a lot easier, at least. Now it looks like its designed to force you into the range of the archers.

That's unchanged. Your units start on those two patches, walk north and try to take the fort - the thing is, it takes a long time before you even engage the enemies, since walking over desert is so slow.

"...and all of Valentia can hear the echoes of war..."

Iseewhatyoudidthere.png

Yeah, this did come off as "explain all the unique Gaiden mechanics to everyone who doesn't know about them," which seems like a pretty good idea, so nobody's taken by surprise. (At least, no one who didn't watch the trailer...) At least they're like, "Hey, bro, we let you know ahead of time. You can't complain about it." Lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't being able to free-roam in towns one of original Gaiden's things? Looks like we'll get less free-roaming this time around, and more "just highlight and select different people/areas and reap the benefits." Not that that's a deal-breaker or anything.

On a side note, I always thought "Rigel" was pronounced like "Regal" instead of "Ree-gell." I'm sure they said it properly in at least one of the other trailers, but maybe I wasn't paying attention till now.

Trailer was good, but I'm slightly disappointed about village exploration apparently being visual-novel based.

I mean, I was already worried when they didn't bother showing villages despite the 3D dungeon exploration.

To be fair, Gaiden's villages were kinda basic, but they could have made them really cool if they wanted to. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't being able to free-roam in towns one of original Gaiden's things? Looks like we'll get less free-roaming this time around, and more "just highlight and select different people/areas and reap the benefits." Not that that's a deal-breaker or anything.

The villages in Gaiden were REALLY small and only had a handful of people and, I believe, a maximum of three to four houses which were a few spaces each. I didn't expect them to handle it like this, but I definitely see why - would be awesome if you could talk to your party members here as well.

What's more important is that they fix the dungeon crawling. It wasn't a huge component of Gaiden, but there were some areas that were larger than others, and the last one was filled with NES bullshit, like trying to find a path forward in a nonsensical labyrinth while on a timer of sorts. It looks like they're putting quite a bit of effort into it in Echoes though, so I do believe it'll work out well enough.

11 minutes ago, Thane said:

That's unchanged. Your units start on those two patches, walk north and try to take the fort - the thing is, it takes a long time before you even engage the enemies, since walking over desert is so slow.

Huh. I was under the impression the map was even worse, from the way people talked about it and the pics I'd seen of it.

Did anyone else see those battle sprites for kid Alm and kid Celica at the Mycen vs. Slayde fight? It seems it will be some kind of prologue chapter.

EDIT: As Thane found, the villagers are in there too, I'm attaching the picture for those having a hard time finding them. 

Spoiler

FESoVKids.png.584ba04529861f018287bef730fe5d26.png

Edited by Vier Mill
Attach picture.

1 minute ago, Vier Mill said:

Did anyone else see those battle sprites for kid Alm and kid Celica at the Mycen vs. Slayde fight? It seems it will be some kind of prologue chapter.

Nice find. The rest of the villagers are there too. 

Hype!

Considering the dungeons, I will not feel bad about not free roaming village. I feel it more pratical than moving with your character from house and house which most of times is just annoying.

Still waiting for the rewind gear and revival shrine info.

16 minutes ago, Vier Mill said:

Yeah I noticed that as well. There are also the other villagers. Children confirmed!

LySj9z6.png

That's probably a prologue or a gaiden (no pun intented) chapter.

Nice video. The old and new locations look beautiful. I hope that desert map is better done, the original one was awful imo.

I wished that you could explore towns like in the dungeons though.

There is also Mathilda's sprite. 

Celica's promoted class name is still Princess and she still wears her tiara and now she has a shield in 2:06.

Edited by Thunderstar

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

The villages in Gaiden were REALLY small and only had a handful of people and, I believe, a maximum of three to four houses which were a few spaces each. I didn't expect them to handle it like this, but I definitely see why - would be awesome if you could talk to your party members here as well.

Ah, so I can see why they paired it down then. But yeah, I'm definitely not saying the new way is wrong, but I agree that being able to talk to your party members would be pretty cool. Maybe even branching dialogue that gave different results depending on what you selected? Hope I'm not asking too much, here.

And yeah I guess the only way they would have kept the free-roaming in is if they expanded the towns and made them relevant in the same way a Zelda town is or something, and I can see why they wouldn't care to focus on that aspect.

18 minutes ago, Thane said:

What's more important is that they fix the dungeon crawling. It wasn't a huge component of Gaiden, but there were some areas that were larger than others, and the last one was filled with NES bullshit, like trying to find a path forward in a nonsensical labyrinth while on a timer of sorts. It looks like they're putting quite a bit of effort into it in Echoes though, so I do believe it'll work out well enough.

Ah, the classic NES fake difficulty that's more annoying/unfair than challenging. Yeah, I can definitely do without that sort of stuff. I trust them to update and modernize it for the most part, though.

14 minutes ago, Vier Mill said:

EDIT: As Thane found, the villagers are in there too, I'm attaching the picture for those having a hard time finding them. 

Oh, that's pretty cool. I like Celica's kid sprite...that little bow is adorable, haha. Reminds me of the openings of Golden Sun and Breath of Fire II, if tiny Alm and tiny Celica are getting into the action...though huh, didn't expect all the kids to be training in what looks like their preteen days, lol.

11 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Ah, so I can see why they paired it down then. But yeah, I'm definitely not saying the new way is wrong, but I agree that being able to talk to your party members would be pretty cool. Maybe even branching dialogue that gave different results depending on what you selected? Hope I'm not asking too much, here.

If something like dragon quest 8 which party member team have different dialogue based of where and when you are I will very like it. Even if limited a few characters rotation which give more details about their personality than awful generic dialogue of MyCastle.

''Golden Dagger''? Are we going to have something more powerful than a silver weapon that is not a legendary weapon?

What I find interesting is that this seems to confirm battle saves are out, due to it showing both Classic and Casual mode. I always found locking it to Casual stupid, but the fact they axed it entirely is odd.

1 minute ago, Nym said:

''Golden Dagger''? Are we going to have something more powerful than a silver weapon that is not a legendary weapon?

Nope. We've seen it in other footage, and said dagger is pretty weak.

Edited by The DanMan

4 minutes ago, SpearOfLies said:

If something like dragon quest 8 which party member team have different dialogue based of where and when you are I will very like it. Even if limited a few characters rotation which give more details about their personality than awful generic dialogue of MyCastle.

Yeah, this was exactly what I was thinking for a feature that allows you to talk to your units. I was thinking that something like this would be cool. I mean, POR changed the background depending on where they were in the story for various conversations, so why not go the extra mile and include special dialogue?

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

Nope. We've seen it in other footage, and said dagger is pretty weak.

I mean, a dagger is a dagger but the point was the ''golden'' part

Like something who hits hard but only has 5 or 10 uses?

40 minutes ago, Vier Mill said:

children characters are in this game