Jump to content
Armaada J

Pokemon: Fire Emblem Edition!!!![WIP]

Recommended Posts

So this is an idea that I've had for a while and I'm trying to develop it to the point that I can start making it. I will admit that I don't know if anyone else has made anything like this before, but I hope to make the project original and unique enough to justify its existence. 

Project

This hack will be a re-skin of Pokemon Fire Red in which the Pokemon have been replaced by Fire Emblem characters/classes. (More on that later.) Since this will be my first hacking project, I'm trying to keep it manageable, so replacing the Pokemon and changing some dialogue here and there seems like the most realistic route at the moment. The characters that appear will be a mixture of characters/classes from across the series. 

The Concept So Far

  • Characters: Pokemon will be replaced by Fire Emblem characters. So instead of catching a Caterpie in Viridian Forest, you may end up catching a Cain or Abel. Also, Pokemon will be called Einherjar. 
  • Based on a community survey, the Starter Einherjar will be Marth, Ephraim, and Hector!!
  • Pokemon types (fire, water, etc.) will be replaced by Weapon Types. I'm hoping that the class variety of Fire Emblem will let me get creative with the type combinations.
    • Types I'm planning on including so far are: Sword, Lance, Axe, Bow, Beast(horse units and Laguz), Flying(pegasi, wyverns), Armor, Fire, Wind, Thunder, Light, Dark, Hidden Weapons, and Dragon(manaketes and dragons).
    • Type advantages/disadvantages will of course be based on the weapon triangle.
    • I'm not sure if I'll just have magic as a type or split it into Light, Anima, and Dark.
    • Example of what a character's type would look like: Mercenary would be a Sword type, while a Hero would be a dual typed Sword/Axe type.
  • Trainers will be characters from the series. So Gym Leaders could be guys like Seth, Ogma, Elincia, etc. I'm not sure what to do with generic trainers yet. I'd like to include many characters, so I'm trying to figure out which important trainers/characters can be replaced with which FE characters. 
  • Evolution will be the way your characters promote. For example, your Mercenary would evolve into a Hero. Not all characters will change class upon promotion

FIRST DRAFT OF THE POKEDEX: https://docs.google.com/document/d/14pocqPOEZqtefnxTWCsF9II9CR5br4CogcvsAGqW7EU/edit?usp=sharing

So I'll be using this thread to document the development of my concept and ideas, and eventually the development of the game - WHICH I PROMISE WILL EVENTUALLY HAPPEN, BUT ALAS I AM A STUDENT AND THEREFORE FREE TIME IS HARD TO FIND. 

Please comment with any feedback or ideas you may have. Or even just comment whether you think this is a good idea or not! :)

Big thank you to Ryuke, Corrobin, and Donnel, who have contributed very useful ideas and feedback. And thank you to anyone who has filled out any of the surveys.

Edited by Armaada J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.Emblem Dex: Aim for 151 MAX (Reuse element: Like Axe Cav, Lance Cav Idk etc  -- if u are using portraits... then you have more options)

2.No Idea (Fire Emblem as a pokemon)

3.R/B/G have what ... 8 gym leaders, 2 oak/rival, you, that 3rd chick, (probably another 20-30 generic characters)
There's going to be alot of characters what wont make the cut.

Ideally characters as pokemons seem better (But ... Art wise... I know is CRAP ton of works)

4. 3 tier system at level 16/36 ? Then the Wyvern being the dragonite type (30/50)?

 

Good Luck. It's very interesting.

Edited by Ryuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CatManThree said:

Interesting concept. I do hope this concept will fall through!

Thanks! I'm pretty determined to make this happen, so hopefully this works out.

2 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

1.Emblem Dex: Aim for 151 MAX (Reuse element: Like Axe Cav, Lance Cav Idk etc  -- if u are using portraits... then you have more options)

2.No Idea (Fire Emblem as a pokemon)

3.R/B/G have what ... 8 gym leaders, 2 oak/rival, you, that 3rd chick, (probably another 20-30 generic characters)
There's going to be alot of characters what wont make the cut.

Ideally characters as pokemons seem better (But ... Art wise... I know is CRAP ton of works)

4. 3 tier system at level 16/36 ? Then the Wyvern being the dragonite type (30/50)?

 

Good Luck. It's very interesting.

1.4.  Axe Cav and Lance Cav was definitely something I plan on doing. And I do plan on doing third tier promotions, so that will help take up dex space as well I think.

3. I in no way expect to be able to fit every FE character into the game, but I want to maximize the amount. As you said there are 8 gyms, the prof and rival, and 2 player characters. In addition to those, there is the Elite 4, and other story-important characters that don't actually battle, such as Bill. So that there is only 16+ characters. 

Using characters as pokemon could work, it's just a matter of differentiating them, since I would likely end up having multiple characters in the game of the same class(or typing in this case). I dunno, it's something to think about I guess. Thank you for your feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unimon maybe? A mix of ''Unit'' and ''Pokémon'' of course

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nym said:

Unimon maybe? A mix of ''Unit'' and ''Pokémon'' of course

The only potential problem there is that there's a Digimon called Unimon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forged Thoron said:

The only potential problem there is that there's a Digimon called Unimon. 

Unitmon then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nym said:

Unitmon then

GENIUS!!!!

 

For real I may end up going with this. Its currently betwee this and Emblemon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Forged Thoron said:

Thanks! I'm pretty determined to make this happen, so hopefully this works out.

1.4.  Axe Cav and Lance Cav was definitely something I plan on doing. And I do plan on doing third tier promotions, so that will help take up dex space as well I think.

3. I in no way expect to be able to fit every FE character into the game, but I want to maximize the amount. As you said there are 8 gyms, the prof and rival, and 2 player characters. In addition to those, there is the Elite 4, and other story-important characters that don't actually battle, such as Bill. So that there is only 16+ characters. 

Using characters as pokemon could work, it's just a matter of differentiating them, since I would likely end up having multiple characters in the game of the same class(or typing in this case). I dunno, it's something to think about I guess. Thank you for your feedback!

Pretty much. You have about 16 different characters. That is not enough to fit all FE8 playable cast. I see a form of Jeigan/Gunter as Oak.  As for gym each gym = 1 specific game type? IE: Renais Castle (Twin as your leader), Elincia (Ike/Lucia or somebody as her trainer... though we need to get rid of Generic Trainer Or use something like ... CoolTrainer Lucia), Jugdral, House Ostia etc. 

 

If you were to dump them as Pokemon ... Use what Fire Emblem Heroes is doing. Some characters have stronger stats/some weaker. Some have stronger weapon (IE: Attack). It's something worth thinking... But that's the challenge. [And you probably spend way more times than needed]. 

 

 

I think you have more than enough typing (listed above). Maybe see the digimon pokemon hack for an example. 

Actually.. you can use different class as pokemon too...

-Cain/Abel typing

-Jeigan Pokemon typing

 

that way you have more distinguishable pokemons.

Edited by Ryuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

Pretty much. You have about 16 different characters. That is not enough to fit all FE8 playable cast. I see a form of Jeigan/Gunter as Oak.  As for gym each gym = 1 specific game type? IE: Renais Castle (Twin as your leader), Elincia (Ike/Lucia or somebody as her trainer... though we need to get rid of Generic Trainer Or use something like ... CoolTrainer Lucia), Jugdral, House Ostia etc. 

 

If you were to dump them as Pokemon ... Use what Fire Emblem Heroes is doing. Some characters have stronger stats/some weaker. Some have stronger weapon (IE: Attack). It's something worth thinking... But that's the challenge. [And you probably spend way more times than needed]. 

 

 

I think you have more than enough typing (listed above). Maybe see the digimon pokemon hack for an example. 

Actually.. you can use different class as pokemon too...

-Cain/Abel typing

-Jeigan Pokemon typing

 

that way you have more distinguishable pokemons.

For Gyms my original idea was to have each one be a type of unit. Like an axe gym, a mounted gym, etc. But I actually like your idea of having each gym as a game/region better. If I do that for the E4 as well then every game in the series will be represented (not including remakes)! And I'm thinking the gym leader's teams would be based on their teams in their games.

It occurs to me that I could use characters as the generic trainer classes. For example, Cain/Abels would use mounted units, Ogmas would use axe wielders (Talys mercs), etc. I think I could have some fun with that idea...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly suggest you just use characters as the Pokemon and maybe focus on two or three games, like that main dex being mostly Archanea and the 3DS ones...Using generic units sounds quite a lot less exciting as the characters themselves, as well as them being actually characters who differ between themselves by various variables, meaning that you could assign their stat based on more than their role in combat, for example, skills, personality, background and so on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kabby said:

I highly suggest you just use characters as the Pokemon and maybe focus on two or three games, like that main dex being mostly Archanea and the 3DS ones...Using generic units sounds quite a lot less exciting as the characters themselves, as well as them being actually characters who differ between themselves by various variables, meaning that you could assign their stat based on more than their role in combat, for example, skills, personality, background and so on...

I am starting to come around to the idea of using characters for pokemon, although I wouldn't want to limit myself to Archanea. I'm just trying to come up with some sample dexs right now to see which idea works better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE:So after trying out some sample Pokedexes I've decided to take the advice I've received from a few people on here and go the route of having the Pokemon replaced by characters rather than classes. Hopefully this allows me to fill the dex and have lots of variety in typings and stats. Also, I've decided that the "pokemon" will be called Einherjar. I figured that if I made them einherjar within the story, it makes it less slavery-like to capture and battle the actual characters. 

In a few days I will post a couple of polls about series representation and starters, as well as a sample dex (which will be nowhere near complete mind you). I will also post a sample type chart and ask for feedback on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, this is nice.

Will there be branching promotions/evolutions? Just as an example...

Your Joshua (Myrmidon) is about to evolve! What class will he become?

Assassin (Crazy speed, more ailment-based attacks, but less offense)

Swordmaster (Crazy skill, stronger offense, but less versatility)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

Oh, this is nice.

Will there be branching promotions/evolutions? Just as an example...

Your Joshua (Myrmidon) is about to evolve! What class will he become?

Assassin (Crazy speed, more ailment-based attacks, but less offense)

Swordmaster (Crazy skill, stronger offense, but less versatility)

I don't think every single character will have branching evolutions, but there definitely will be some. For example, there will be an Eevee stand-in with 3 possible evos. Most likely any branching promotions will be item based.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. Most branching promos will be with characters pre-FE8?

And you'll take into account growths to balance characters, right?

So Cain will be a powerful tank and physical attacker who's slow and has accuracy issues, while Abel is a fast, accurate and semi-dodgy attacker who doesn't hit as hard and has less defense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

I see. Most branching promos will be with characters pre-FE8?

And you'll take into account growths to balance characters, right?

So Cain will be a powerful tank and physical attacker who's slow and has accuracy issues, while Abel is a fast, accurate and semi-dodgy attacker who doesn't hit as hard and has less defense?

I think right now branching promotions would only make sense for FE8,13,14 characters since those are the only games with branching promos. 

Character's stats and growths will definitely inform their stats in this game!! The example you listed will be in the game. Aside from stats, the moves that characters learn will also be informed by their game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you need some move ideas? I can help with that.

Abilities:

Canto: Can switch out immediately after attacking. For mounted units.

Rally (Insert stat): In double battles, boosts partner's (insert stat) by 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Do you need some move ideas? I can help with that.

Abilities:

Canto: Can switch out immediately after attacking. For mounted units.

Rally (Insert stat): In double battles, boosts partner's (insert stat) by 20.

Thank you!! I haven't spent much time brainstorming moves and abilities yet but these are fantastic! And I will definitely ask the community for ideas and advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moves:

Sol: An attack that heals the Einherjar by 50% of the damage they deal. Found on Hero characters (Ogma, Raven, etc.), with a few exceptions (Dew, Shiva)

Luna: An attack that ignores half of the target's Defense. Found on Great Knights (Gunter, Fredrick), with a few exceptions (Holyn, Mareeta, Galzus)

Astra: A five-hit attack. Found on Swordmasters (Navarre, Ayra, Guy, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sol and Astra were both ideas that had occurred to me before, so I'm glad that someone else thought of it as well. One thing that I've seen is that I may be limited to the move effects already in game. Which means unless there's already a pokemon move like Luna I will have to improvise a bit. But I do want to get most of the dex sorted out before I do moves. That'll make it easier I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start with Archetypes: Ogma, Navarre, Bord and Cord, Gordin, Lena, Jeigan, Cain, Abel, Merric, Draug, Oifaye, Beowulf.

Then, we'll need Lords. Marth, Celica, Seliph, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim, Ike and Corrin make a good mix.

Now then, we need unique units. Tiki, Fae, Myrrh and Nowi have the Manaketes down. Keaton, Kaden, Cainghesta (the lion Laguz royal, I forget his specific name), Tibarn, Kurthnaga and Naesala have beast units. Dancers get Olivia, Azura and Ninian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...