The culture of the next FE kingdom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎03‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:46 AM, BlueBloodEmblazer said:

I really want an Egyptian based country. I know that Plegia was a little bit Egypt, but I want one that goes all out. That would be sweet.

A country based on Hawaii would be cool too. I actually found out that the islands in real life were always at war, so it fits the FE theme.

Any real life countries that you're hoping to see in FE?

Yeah lets have an FE based in Alola

I want kingdoms to be more diverse. Like some Scandinavian and Middle Eastern/North African -esque influenced nations. I'd love the central kingdom to be Gothic/Rennaissance oriented.

17 hours ago, Harvey said:

A kingdom based on red indians would work nicely. I just love the way Sacae's world is done.

Um, Sacae is more Mongolian than Native American. The "Father Sky Mother Earth" thing might be Native American-esque, but the Mongols are the major influence on Sacae- their buildings are basically yurts after all. Mongols were also shamanistic prior to their adoption of Buddhism.

I would like a culture centered around a world tree. I know it may have been used a couple of times but that won't stop IS. :P More specifically, I would like an FE that takes in ancient norse times, specifically in the fictional setting like the "Nibelungenlied" but with a FE flavor. I also saw the concept art for the cancelled FE RTS game and it made me sad that such an amazing looking world had gone to waste. They could re-scrap this into another FE, specifically FE Switch.  I was pretty tired when typing this post, so the grammer may sound off.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Um, Sacae is more Mongolian than Native American. The "Father Sky Mother Earth" thing might be Native American-esque, but the Mongols are the major influence on Sacae- their buildings are basically yurts after all. Mongols were also shamanistic prior to their adoption of Buddhism.

Source for this? According to the research that I checked, Sacae is based around asian culture.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not Mongolian, they're based from the Scythians, who were Iranian.

Maybe something Warring states Japan period. Have those outside forces of foreign nations with a deep bridled civil war for the whole country. It's a very popular theme, albeit a little overdone it could still be used quite effectively.

Something based on ancient Egypt, Aztecs, or Vikings/Norse mythology would be cool.

I hope they really emphasize different cultures/countries through classes. It's a lot more interesting when for example you have the nomads specifically from Sacae or totally different classes per country like in Fates, rather than having every country share the same basic "medieval Europe" class tree.

On 05/16/2017 at 1:39 AM, Book Bro said:

I hope they really emphasize different cultures/countries through classes. It's a lot more interesting when for example you have the nomads specifically from Sacae or totally different classes per country like in Fates, rather than having every country share the same basic "medieval Europe" class tree.

I thought it would be neat if there were something like 4 factions/racial groups and each had a unique base class for each weapon type. If you were fighting an army of Nation A and classes from Nation B showed up, you could infer they were mercenaries or had an alliance without the game even needing to mention it. Heck, if you had an empire, their army might be composed of several conquered peoples.

Edited by NekoKnight

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see a kingdom based off of India. There would be 3 main gods, which would be based off of Shiva, Brahman, and Vishnu. These 3 gods would have their own kingdom, similiar to Duma and Mila. The main lord would be the son of the maharaja of the kingdom based off of Vishnu, and they could have been attacked by one of the other kingdoms ruler, for whatever story reason IS thinks of. 

9 hours ago, Something Witty said:

I would like to see a kingdom based off of India. There would be 3 main gods, which would be based off of Shiva, Brahman, and Vishnu. These 3 gods would have their own kingdom, similiar to Duma and Mila. The main lord would be the son of the maharaja of the kingdom based off of Vishnu, and they could have been attacked by one of the other kingdoms ruler, for whatever story reason IS thinks of. 

So the Gods of Creation, Preservation and Destruction. I forgot who is which.

a Fire Emblem based in Arabia or India.

Or maybe a Fire Emblem in which there is a conflict between people who are based off the Indians and people who are based off the Europeans.

17 hours ago, Something Witty said:

Brahma has never been all that much worshipped in India, he's important mythologically (except for the fact that individual worshippers like to associate creation, preservation and destruction all with their favorite deity), but for some reason he's fallen by the wayside. Indra, once the king of the gods in the Vedic period, has also been relegated to the sidelines. Shakti worship- that of some kind of goddess (Durga, Kali, Sri/Lakshmi, Sarasvati to name the major ones), would be better as the third kingdom's deity.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Brahma has never been all that much worshipped in India, he's important mythologically (except for the fact that individual worshippers like to associate creation, preservation and destruction all with their favorite deity), but for some reason he's fallen by the wayside. Indra, once the king of the gods in the Vedic period, has also been relegated to the sidelines. Shakti worship- that of some kind of goddess (Durga, Kali, Sri/Lakshmi, Sarasvati to name the major ones), would be better as the third kingdom's deity.

That is very true. I was thinking that if Brahma had a kingdom, it would be similiar to Valla, with it being a secret kingdom and all. Durga would probabaly be the best for the third kingdom. I guess the other gods could get minor kingdoms as well. Like a gold palace for Saraswati's kingdom, where money means power or something.

I think it's telling that a lot of people want something different from the standard late medieval-European setting FE usually goes for. Not that that type of setting is inherently BAD, just that moving beyond it would open new possibilities for the franchise.

My personal preference is to move it to Ancient Greece. The political situation is very different from the standard fair (multiple city-states loosely linked by culture and religion vs a collection of kingdoms that all seem internally homogeneous) and there's more than enough history of the region to have a basis for the narrative. The Persian Wars, for instance, synch up with FE's typical "empire invades a kingdom" set-up; plus it'd be pretty fun to have FE takes on the Battles of Thermopylae and Salamis. 

4 hours ago, Alistair said:

I think it's telling that a lot of people want something different from the standard late medieval-European setting FE usually goes for. Not that that type of setting is inherently BAD, just that moving beyond it would open new possibilities for the franchise.

My personal preference is to move it to Ancient Greece. The political situation is very different from the standard fair (multiple city-states loosely linked by culture and religion vs a collection of kingdoms that all seem internally homogeneous) and there's more than enough history of the region to have a basis for the narrative. The Persian Wars, for instance, synch up with FE's typical "empire invades a kingdom" set-up; plus it'd be pretty fun to have FE takes on the Battles of Thermopylae and Salamis. 

I'm not sure how much people realize, since I seem to be bringing it up a bunch recently, but Fire Emblem JUST did this. Echoes is heavily Grecoroman inspired. The architecture and art is distinctly ancient Greece, and the core of the conflict sets up two of the more common ancient Roman themes(Conquering empires versus extreme hedonism). The Baron overclass is a mixture of a Greek Hoplite and Roman Centurian, for crying out loud.

Thing is, this stuff all props up the general Fire Emblem aesthetic and themes that the series will likely never stray far away from. I hate to break it to you, but we'll never see "Fire Emblem's take on Thermopylae", because that's not something Fire Emblem has ever done. Fire Emblem, at most, takes heavily from European/Eurasian cultures(And sometimes far eastern), like Jugdral taking a lot from Northern Europe, Echoes taking a lot from Ancient Greece/Rome, and Hoshido taking a bunch from Japan and other East Asian cultures, and stuff like that, while never really mentioning anything that has happened in real life Scandinavia/Irish/Greece/Rome/Japan. At the very most you'll get loose references to the mythologies of those cultures.

And in each of those cases, even with Hoshido, if the names weren't classes like "Oni Savage" or "Onmyo", or the characters weren't named "Sakura" or "Takumi", you likely wouldn't even think Hoshido is that much more Japanese than most other Fire Emblem settings. The FURTHEST we've gone were the Sacae, who are deliberately propped up as having a very distinct culture within Elibe, and most people still don't know what culture Sacae is supposed to be a real world parallel to.

So, TL;DR, people asking for a new European culture for Fire Emblem to take on, they've probably already done it. And people asking for a radically different culture from another continent to get away from the standard, vague "European medieval" theme of Fire Emblem, you're probably asking for something that will never happen, because Fire Emblem will likely always be pretty similar to what we've gotten, regardless of the culture they take inspiration from.

Edited by Slumber

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

I'm not sure how much people realize, since I seem to be bringing it up a bunch recently, but Fire Emblem JUST did this. Echoes is heavily Grecoroman inspired. The architecture and art is distinctly ancient Greece, and the core of the conflict sets up two of the more common ancient Roman themes(Conquering empires versus extreme hedonism). The Baron overclass is a mixture of a Greek Hoplite and Roman Centurian, for crying out loud.

Thing is, this stuff all props up the general Fire Emblem aesthetic and themes that the series will likely never stray far away from. I hate to break it to you, but we'll never see "Fire Emblem's take on Thermopylae", because that's not something Fire Emblem has ever done. Fire Emblem, at most, takes heavily from European/Eurasian cultures(And sometimes far eastern), like Jugdral taking a lot from Northern Europe, Echoes taking a lot from Ancient Greece/Rome, and Hoshido taking a bunch from Japan and other East Asian cultures, and stuff like that, while never really mentioning anything that has happened in real life Scandinavia/Greece/Rome/Japan. At the very most you'll get loose references to the mythologies of those cultures.

And in each of those cases, even with Hoshido, if the names weren't classes like "Oni Savage" or "Onmyo", or the characters weren't named "Sakura" or "Takumi", you likely wouldn't even think Hoshido is that much more Japanese than most other Fire Emblem settings. The FURTHEST we've gone were the Sacae, who are deliberately propped up as having a very distinct culture within Elibe, and most people still don't know what culture Sacae is supposed to be a real world parallel to.

Now that you mention it I feel kind of stupid for not noticing the Classical stuff in Echoes. And yeah, there's always that bit of flavor added to the various countries; I guess I just want it to be a bit more overt like Sacae and Hoshido. Thanks for the explanation. 

2 minutes ago, Alistair said:

Now that you mention it I feel kind of stupid for not noticing the Classical stuff in Echoes. And yeah, there's always that bit of flavor added to the various countries; I guess I just want it to be a bit more overt like Sacae and Hoshido. Thanks for the explanation. 

No problem. I get the people who want a new flavor on the Fire Emblem formula with new cultures to take from, but I don't think a world culture will ever dictate how the game plays, or how the events of the game unfold.

5 hours ago, Slumber said:

So, TL;DR, people asking for a new European culture for Fire Emblem to take on, they've probably already done it.

Umm... non-Russian Slavic/Balkans culture? I think thats the last European culture that hasn't been explored. Not that I'd expect IS to be able to do anything with it- it's the least glorified of European cultures.

I also think the problem with SoV is that it doesn't scream Greco-Roman stereotypes. General audiences with no in-depth knowledge of what Rome and Greece actually looked like want bleach white columns everywhere, and togas and chariots and gladiators and legionnaires. You Slumber, have clearly done your research and can therefore see things easier than those less educated in such matters. 

For a more general audience, subtlety is something they don't see so well. And, as you point out, that FE makes no effort to closely shadow history (and in SoV's case, it hadn't the ability to do so even with the Greco-Roman themes due to the preexisting plot from Gaiden). Doubt that IS hid a few lines from Hamlet in RD, but never doubt that IS will continue to keep Fire Emblem too rooted in fantasy themes plot-wise to ever do something truly pseudo-historical.

You're a little blunt and pessimistic in your analysis, though also realistic. You're also right on Sacae, and to be fair, Inner/Central Eurasia is highly forgettable- and the Scythians don't even exist anymore; whereas a large NA audience is passingly familiar with Native Americans. Similarly, I noticed people can't recognize that Chon'sin is Korean (or so I think it is judging from the names, they don't look Japanese). Even at the typical English speaking East Asian History conference, you'll find like 1 Korean historian in a sea of Chinese and Japanese historians, or so I've been told.