The culture of the next FE kingdom

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 9:04 PM, Nirito Haan said:

I would like it to be based on the Third Reich. I would like to see a full scale world war in this next Fire Emblem game.

This is basically FE6 Bern; Zephiel is near enough Hitler as well, if you replace the human race with the jews and the dragons with the aryans in this analogy.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:10 PM, BakanGin said:

Add in country covered with ice like Alaska, I'm wondering what Pegasus knights would wear in that.

Ilia from FE6/7 had this, as well as the Ice Tribe stuff in Fates.

I think it's more of a mix-and-match scenario when it comes to incorporating these 'foreign' cultures in a FE game because whether you like it or not, they're never going to do away with the medieval European-style template, which is basically the series' foundation. Sure they might shift the focus here and there; think the Mediterranean-style Archanea, the Classical/Grecoroman Valentia, kinda French Renaissance+German Nohr etc. but leaving that concept altogether? Seems unlikely to me.

The way I think they could do it best: Ideally you would depart from a European baseline, which gives us all the classes we know and love (Merc/Cav/Armour/Soldier lines as well as Peg/Wyvern/Mage/Healer/Archer generally, but there's room to be creative with those), maybe another major culture or two to incorporate the remaining/original classes like Hoshido/Laguz nations did, as well as add some more Mounted/Armoured/Flier/Beast units too and then some minor cultures that bring a class line or two with them (one as a DLC option maybe?), like the Myrm/Nomad lines from Sacae, Peg/Wyvern lines being excluse to Medon etc. and then the gimmicks.

Sure seems like an expansive project now that I've typed it out lol, but on the other hand this will be the first FE title on a home console in 11 years so they should be able to fit a similar amount of content/variety on there without paying the retail price in DLC fees after release. :)

I want to keep the typical medieval European settings but I'd love to see different cultures as neighboring countries. Among these I'd love to see countries inspired by Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, any West African kingdoms like Mali or Songhai, Native American tribes and/or Ancient Korea. It would be great to have an army that represents different countries and kingdoms, rather than focusing on one or two cultures. 

On 6/19/2017 at 4:10 AM, BakanGin said:

A Native American country with plains and mountanis, specifically Aztec.

Add in country covered with ice like Alaska, I'm wondering what Pegasus knights would wear in that.

Silesia and Ilia didn't really encourage the Pegasus Knights to change their style iirc

Edited by Jotari

Something based off the Byzantine or Ottoman Empire would be refreshing since that part of European history tends to get under-represented.

Eastern Europe and South Eastern(I mean, Greece inspired SoV/Gaiden and Archanea to some degree)/Eurasian Europe are the only big European cultures that haven't really been quite explicitly influential in FE. So one of those two. There's a lot you could do with both.

Edited by Slumber

18 hours ago, Slumber said:

Eastern Europe and South Eastern(I mean, Greece inspired SoV/Gaiden and Archanea to some degree)/Eurasian Europe are the only big European cultures that haven't really been quite explicitly influential in FE. So one of those two. There's a lot you could do with both.

What about Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Those ones haven't really been influential in FE. But I do like the idea of using Eastern European culture.

23 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

What about Scotland, Wales and Ireland? Those ones haven't really been influential in FE. But I do like the idea of using Eastern European culture.

Ireland was pretty big in Jugdral.

4 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Really; I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out. That still leaves Scotland.

Yup. The Isaach swordfighter we used to know as Holyn's official translated name is Chulainn, Aira's son's name is Ulster, and the prince of Isaac is named Shannan. Isaach in general has a Irish naming scheme.

There's more, too, but those are the big ones, at least in naming schemes.

Edited by Slumber

I want to see one based on Norse/Viking culture. Clans, mead halls, warrior culture, all of it. That would be awesome, and I think it could work really well for a new style of kingdom for Fire Emblem than the typical European Medieval type culture.

17 hours ago, Slumber said:

Ireland was pretty big in Jugdral.

Was it really though? I  mean sure it used Irish names everywhere but did it actually use much Irish culture? Four districts like four provinces but still it felt very like general Fire Emblem. I can't think of anything about it that felt distinctly Irish. There were no druids, fairies or monks etc. Barely any pirates either. Nice green grass and cliffs though, I'll give it that.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it parts of Chapter 3 actually seem quite Irish with the pirates and the tower of Blaggi. I was mainly thinking about Leinster and Isaach.

Edited by Jotari

I think its worth to give the nomadic flair of sacae another shot. In the new continent such a nation could do what they often do and raid into more civilized countries a lot. This has the benefit of bringing the Sacae look back while differentiate them by making their actions Mongol inspired too. This in turn would bring some more variation to the regular bandits too since they would now be barbaric pony riding bandits. 

On 19/07/2017 at 9:48 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I think its worth to give the nomadic flair of sacae another shot. In the new continent such a nation could do what they often do and raid into more civilized countries a lot. This has the benefit of bringing the Sacae look back while differentiate them by making their actions Mongol inspired too. This in turn would bring some more variation to the regular bandits too since they would now be barbaric pony riding bandits. 

What if they brought THE Sacae back instead (because let's face it, if they did another nomadic setting people would draw comparisons immediately)? You could just set the new game 1000yrs after FE6 or something to justify the changes. After all, Archanea got that treatment and it would be nice to see other universes revisited too (*cough* Magvel *cough*).

Has any game done England before? I assume one has already...

Edited by DefyingFates

• 1 month later...

Based on a Renaissance era both culturally and technologically. Think all the struggles for power from 1500 - 1600 in central and eastern europe. The Italian city state warring era (aka the Italian Wars), Lithuanian/Polish/Livonian wars, Habsburg/Balkan wars against the Ottoman empire are examples that could be drawn from.

You could include an artillery class in this era because of early firearms (Arquebus troops), and even Landsknecht and Swabian like Mercenary Organizations that gained a lot of power in all the different power struggles in the 16th century struggles. You could have a mix of open field maps like in Echoes to maps where you have to defend castle gates against a siege. 

I'd say based on one of the Exploration Age Islamic Empires(so, the Mughal, Ottoman, and Safavid Empires). It would be an opportunity for some really cool aesthetics. No to the Aztecs, seriously those guys were the most overrated civilization of all time. The only reason we study them is that they had the good luck to happen to be the most prominent Native Empire when the Spanish landed.