Will you get Sonia or Dean?

Which character will you get?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Sonia or Dean?

• Sonia
    • Dean
    • I don't care.

Considering what they change and what stays the same, which of Gaiden's split-choice characters will you get?

Not only is Sonia the better units gameplay-wise, but she also seems the most interresting one.

It's still too early to say (maybe Deen will get an amazing new look, and superb personality.)

Deen is gonna be a hot stud, if Saber gives any indication of the design focus of older age Mercenary class units, but to that same idea, I'm assuming Sonya will get the sexy treatment as well, which will be very interesting to see. 

Unfortunately both are extremely redundant units, so I'll likely go with Sonya (like I always do) because she actually has plot relevance, but I'm hopeful that Echoes will make the choice harder on me. 

I always hope we can somehow get both. I dislike split choice since I'm a collector at heart.

That being said, I nearly always go for the male unit over the female, so I'll probably pick Dean. I might change my mind, though, in the future ^.^

If Sonya is as good as she was in the original, there is literally no reason for me to pick Deen since by then you already have 3 other Mercs and more than likely a Merc Atlas since that;s his only decent option. So unless Deen is super fucking hot and has a cool personality, then I probably won't pick him (I mean even the manga killed him off).

Ah, but let's not forget all the changes and updates they have made that might nerf Sonia or buff Dean! That could change things!

I voted Sonja for now, because I chose her when I played Gaiden. She had the rare Excalibur spell in that game, which sets her apart from the other mages in Celica's party a bit. Dean has nothing like that.

I usually go for Sonia and probably will for Echoes too. Unless Dean gets the most awesome redesign ever, and it is possible since Hidari keeps surprising me (I love her artstyle SO much).

I wonder if they'll give us a chance to recruit both this time around though.

Sonia mainly because you can get other multiple Mercenaries in Celica's route.

Also her ending makes her one of the most interesting characters in the game and since Gaiden's story seems to be extented, I expect her to be somehow more important or at least more developed.
I hope that Deen would get an interesting backstory as well.

Defeating Deen and Mercenaries is also easier and less annoying than dealing with multiple warping Witches in a desert map.

I think they'll make Deen more desirable in this incarnation. Perhaps they'll give him a personal weapon or make him very powerful. 

I chose Sonya in the original Gaiden because she was clearly the better unit, but I'll wait and see what the two units are like in this version. 

Edited by Leif

Did they fix the split choice units in shadow dragon to make them better than the original? Not that there was ever a choice as you may just kill them off anyways. That might be some indication for what we get in echoes.

Deen is really a tragedy.

Neither character is particularly good to start out with, and you already have Catria and Est by the time you get them (basically), so you're going into the decision already not expecting to get much use out of either of them. Under this context, you choose between:

• One of the most conventionally attractive women in the game (by the standards of Famicom sprites), or a relatively war-worn man who probably isn't hitting many notes not already hit by Saber or Jesse.
  • One of the few characters who is actually relevant to the plot, and responsible for probably the last twist in the game, or someone with a standard "he screwed off to somewhere" ending and no real importance.
  • A character with the second best magic set in the game, and a character who is an entirely standard member of his class.
  • A character who (besides Celica) competes with relatively underwhelming characters, and a character who competes with three very competent characters.
  • A character with the some of the best total growths in the game, and a character with the third worst total growths in the game. (30*6 growths might seem unimpressive on paper, but remember: this is Gaiden, and you have an Angel Ring that can convert this to 60*6. That's not bad on the 3DS!)
  • A character who requires you to beat a relatively easy chapter, and a character who requires you to beat a relatively obnoxious chapter (think Juno vs Dayan).
  • A character who, if left untrained, can at least be bad at 2-3 range, and a character who if left untrained will be bad at point-blank counterattackable range.
  • A character who can use Angel to deal effective damage against 80% of the remaining enemies on Celica's side, and a character who cannot.
  • A character who can get a basic healing spell if she manages to promote, and a character who almost certainly will not. (if you go out of your way to break the game and make deen a sage you deserve your suffering)

The only advantage poor Deen gets is that his bases are somewhat better than Sonya's and he's substantially closer to promotion (both are level 5, but Deen promotes at level 12 while Sonya promotes at level 20.) And indeed, if this were any game besides Gaiden, these would be incredibly valid and valuable advantage. But to cap off his curse, he ended up being stuck in this game -- where you either are planning to grind Sonya, Jesse, and Est to become world-destroyers, or you don't need him because you already have Celica, Catria, Palla, and Kamui.

Deen won the opposite of the lottery. He's a potentially valid character who gets actively screwed at almost every opportunity because his alternative was clearly given much more thought and attention. The game provides no reason to consider him and every reason to consider his counterpart, even if you're not planning to use either. You can't even just recruit him for his Hero Sword, like many other such "choices" in the series, because he drops it when you kill him anyway. The one useful thing he can do is exploit the Dread Fighter loop to reclass into Villager and then something neat, but by the time you do that Catria could've soloed the rest of Celica's path. It's totally futile.

Well since I plan to play through the game at least twice so I can play both routes I will get one the first time and the other the second time, I don't care who I get first it will depend on my mood at the time I play.

I got Sonia first time I played Gaiden, I'll be getting both, so on my first play through on hard I'll be getting Dean and then if it unlocks a lunatic I'll get Sonia on that, if not, I'll just have a diffrent file with Sonia on it.

58 minutes ago, EricaofRenais said:

Well since I plan to play through the game at least twice so I can play both routes I will get one the first time and the other the second time, I don't care who I get first it will depend on my mood at the time I play.

You control both Alm and Celica at the same time, it's not like Sacred Stones

Maybe it's because I'm screwed up or overthinking it, but I will definitely recruit Sonia if her skin is purple.

Spoiler

Since Judah is her dad and all, and we've seen a CG screenshot of him, his skin is purple, but that could be because he's old though.

Deen will probably have to wait for my second playthrough. I'm curious to what their redesigns will be.

Even if she is nerfed and Deen buffed, I think I'll pick Sonia. She actually had plot revelance and I hope they expand upon that (specially if there are support conversations!), plus she was fairly good looking for the limitations of the time and at the artbook, so... I can't wait to see her redesign.

Spoiler

I also want to see her sisters.

1 minute ago, iavasechui said:

considering they gave Alm a new unit maybe they will let us recruit both to keep the armies even? Though now I'm not sure if they were ever even in the first place...

In the original Alm had 16 units and Celica only had 15 as the 16th was either Sonya or Deen who you didn't chose.