Where would I go to recruit a dev team?

Armaada J

I am developing a concept for a hack and will begin developing it in the summer. However, I know that I will need help with things like sprites and testing for bugs. Where on this sub would I go to recruit people to help me? I'm not asking people to make the entire hack for me, there are just parts of the process that I am not skilled at and would like help from someone who is. Thanks in advance!

The best way to do so is to show off what you have, in the form of a patch and some screenshots.  If you don't have sprites/mugs, use the defaults for now.  If you need maps, there might be some free ones floating around.  Don't worry about your project patch being incomplete - you can always add more later!

NICKT has free portraits for people to use, so you can use those as placeholders. And there are so many that variety is not a problem. If you're looking for bug testers, just get some progress on that hack-- 2 or 3 maps, and most people will start bug testing from there after you make a plug for it. 

Honestly though, I'd say sprites should be worried about much later. As for skills, what are you skilled at? Just so people have an idea of what they are dealing with or what you expect them to do to help. 

On 24/03/2017 at 0:10 PM, Kirb1337 said:

Dont ask for peeps to do stuff for you and learn instead

You can't make an entire hack on your own. At least not a large one. for an example, Staff of Ages has a team behind it, because if you want to make a hack and still have a life, it's either gonna take fifty years or it's gonna need a team.

9 hours ago, Kyne said:

You can't make an entire hack on your own. At least not a large one. for an example, Staff of Ages has a team behind it, because if you want to make a hack and still have a life, it's either gonna take fifty years or it's gonna need a team.

Then don't make a large one. Make something 7-10 chapters long. Is it going to be a groundbreaking story that no one's ever done with amazing gameplay that everyone wants to replay over and over again? Probably not. But it'll be complete. And that is something that a great many hacks out there have not achieved.

10 hours ago, Kyne said:

SoA is the exception not the rule, most people do the majority of the work on their own.

I don't know my dudes. All of the programming is already done for us, but it is basically developing a game from the "ground up" in my eyes. Plus there's people that like to specialize on stuff. I'm sure there's many people out there that like story writing and also animating but hate the nightmare and assembly stuff.

I do agree that one should learn as much as they could.