what color would Soren be? When he is released.

Ewwgene

4 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

If, magically speaking, Red is Fire + Dark, Green is Wind + Light, and Blue is who knows even, whatever they want it to be I guess (thunder magic + light magic + dark breath + light breath ????) then it's hard to know what other stuff will be attributed to, except for as it relates to game balance (for instance, I'm predicting Myrrh will be green because there aren't any others right now). 

The current trend is:

Red: Fire and Dark
Blue: Thunder and Light
Green: Wind and Naga

11 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Looking at the designs of both Divine and Fire dragons in more recent games, it seems like they're trending the general design aesthetic of these two types of dragons in different directions now, based on the DS games, wherein Fire Dragons look more armored/scaly and to some extent like their GBA counterparts, while Divine Dragons in that game trend toward the look that they had in MotE Book 1, as you've pointed out. 

Maybe the default white/scaly look is just what they want to go for in terms of Divine Dragons' appearances nowadays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think it's also worth noting that there's no evidence that Naga or any of the other canonical history/events of the GBA games seems to be present in the GBA games, so Fae's version of the DD could just be a separate universe/continuity, thus the reason for their design differences. 

The old TCG card art of Tiki's Book 2 divine dragon form really does look like what you would imagine Fae's dragon form to grow up to look like, though, after she molts some more and grows out of her baby fat.

Tiki's Book 2 divine dragon form also looks rather similar to Naga's appearance in FE4 during the spell animation. I think if the devs were to add in Tiki as a divine dragon proper, they would have actually given her her Book 2 form rather than her ambiguous Book 1 form.

Also, I have no idea what the dragons from the (3)DS games look like.

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The current trend is:

Red: Fire and Dark
Blue: Thunder and Light
Green: Wind and Naga

^ don't forget f!Corrin is a blue unit with Dark Breath and, if we're getting technical and just going on facts (though the point you make below is solid), Fae has a Light attack as a green unit as well lol. Green is def a bit more consistent but Blue is kinda all over the place. 

EDIT: I guess the idea is that the actual breath weapons carry the elemental properties of the units themselves....? (technically blue is also ice if we look at Mystery Man's personal tome and Ninian being an ice dragon)

The old TCG card art of Tiki's Book 2 divine dragon form really does look like what you would imagine Fae's dragon form to grow up to look like, though, after she molts some more and grows out of her baby fat. I... shit. That's... a really good point actually haha ;; I didn't think of that at all that's actually quite clever if that's truly the intended design there. 

Tiki's Book 2 divine dragon form also looks rather similar to Naga's appearance in FE4 during the spell animation. I think if the devs were to add in Tiki as a divine dragon proper, they would have actually given her her Book 2 form rather than her ambiguous Book 1 form. I mean honestly I HC Tiki in all her forms (Awakening included) as the fluffy one myself, but given how inconsistent it is in pretty much EVERY appearance, who can say, yo

Also, I have no idea what the dragons from the (3)DS games look like.

^ Comments in green

As for the DS Marth game dragons: 

latest?cb=20100917162544latest?cb=20100917162111 also latest?cb=20110315160856

I mean... you can tell which is which right

The Divvy is pretty close to the MotE Book 1 version while the flamers seem to have diverged a bit. 

Edited by BANRYU

2 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

^ Comments in green

As for the DS Marth game dragons: 

latest?cb=20100917162544latest?cb=20100917162111 also latest?cb=20110315160856

I mean... you can tell which is which right

The Divvy is pretty close to the MotE Book 1 version while the flamers seem to have diverged a bit. 

I haven't played Fates yet, so I have no idea how Corrin's dragon form works. I wouldn't even be sure that's a dragon if the game didn't say so (it looks more like an Arceus with wings, or maybe a giant elk with wings).

The divine dragon is definitely based off of Book 2's divine dragon and not Book 1's. The head is long and thin compared to Book 1's and Heroes's triangular head.

Now that I can see what all of the dragons look like, it's clear to me that Heroes's Mystery Tiki is definitely based off of her divine dragon appearance in Book 1 (reemphasizing that it's just a palette swap of her fire dragon appearance), but with her fire dragon weapon.

I'm going to stick with my opinion that they meant for Heroes's Tiki to be a fire dragon.

I think Dragons are just spread out across colors for reasons of game balances without what they stand for being relevant. Note that you can ability transfer "Breath" to any dragons regardless of colour of unit, which you can't do with other kind of units. So I don't think Fay having "Light Breath" and being green or Corrin having "Dark Breath" is important in itself.

Edited by salinea

16 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I haven't played Fates yet, so I have no idea how Corrin's dragon form works. I wouldn't even be sure that's a dragon if the game didn't say so (it looks more like an Arceus with wings, or maybe a giant elk with wings).

Without spoiling anything... yes. It's definitely a dragon, however weird it might look lol. The 'Dark Breath' does seem like a creative liberty though since in-game Corrin's dragon form attacks physically and/or with watery bubble-like effects. The 'Dark' part might be... uhh... story references I guess.

11 minutes ago, salinea said:

I think Dragons are just spread out across colors for reasons of game balances without what they stand for being relevant. Not that you can ability transfer "Breath" to any dragons regardless of colour of unit, which you can't do with other kind of units. So I don't think Fay having "Light Breath" and being green or Corrin having "Dark Breath" is important in itself.

Oh that IS the case? I wasn't sure, that is actually very good to know. 

Yeah I guess the breath's elements aren't specifically relevant then. Huh.

3 hours ago, goodperson707 said:

So? That still dosen't invalidate what I said, so far mages haven't been affected by stuff like this and I don't think the context of those really appiles to mages. (and yeah I'm aware of him as a unit, I also think staff use makes a certain amount of sense with his character, his starting situation in the main story of FE7 which was showcased in his paralouge map, and I could see an argument about the monk class being new and possibly redundancies in FE7) If you meant the actual mage comment, he isn't one in the context of heroes, light magic dosen't really exist so far. 

I'm not sure if I struck a nerve, but there are several units who got weapons that aren't really their primary weapon.  Lucius and Lachesis being Staff users are the worst offenders.  Raven using an Axe is a lesser degree.

Soren should be a Green Tome user, but it's possible he won't be one.

Odin's Dark Magic is a weird example, since the Dark Mages in Fates aren't even really Dark Mages, they are Anima Mages who can use Nosferatu, and that's about it.

12 minutes ago, salinea said:

I think Dragons are just spread out across colors for reasons of game balances without what they stand for being relevant. Not that you can ability transfer "Breath" to any dragons regardless of colour of unit, which you can't do with other kind of units. So I don't think Fay having "Light Breath" and being green or Corrin having "Dark Breath" is important in itself.

Yeah, Manaketes seem to have no rhyme or reason to how they get sorted.  It bugs me.

1 minute ago, BANRYU said:

Oh that IS the case? I wasn't sure, that is actually very good to know. 

Yeah I guess the breath's elements aren't specifically relevant then. Huh.

Yes, breath weapons can be transferred to any dragon regardless of color.

@salinea However, each character does come with a fixed appearance and default breath type. I'd like to make the argument that the default breath type for each dragon unit is meaningful despite the fact that it can be changed, mostly because this is one feature in the main series games that cannot be changed. There is rhyme and reason for each of their default weapon choices; Ninian obviously isn't going to have Flametongue as her default weapon, after all.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Yeah, Manaketes seem to have no rhyme or reason to how they get sorted.  It bugs me.

Mystery Tiki is a fire dragon and is therefore red (matches with fire mages). Nowi appears to be a thunder dragon (haven't gotten that far in Awakening) and is therefore blue (matches with thunder mages). Fae is a divine dragon and is therefore green (matches with Naga).

Awakening Tiki is red for no particularly good reason except for maybe the fact that her younger counterpart is red (again, haven't gotten that far in Awakening). I don't know anything about Corrin other than the fact that she isn't wearing shoes.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

@salinea However, each character does come with a fixed appearance and default breath type. I'd like to make the argument that the default breath type for each dragon unit is meaningful despite the fact that it can be changed, mostly because this is one feature in the main series games that cannot be changed. There is rhyme and reason for each of their default weapon choices; Ninian obviously isn't going to have Flametongue as her default weapon, after all.

Fair enough. We at least have the case of Lightning Breath naturally being in a red and a blue dragon, though but that could be just Lightning Breath.

Of course both the dragons having it are from Awakening, so that's certainly a kind of rhyme & reason. :) If we ever get Nah, maybe she'll be a green dragon with Lightning Breath!

Edited by salinea

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Mystery Tiki is a fire dragon and is therefore red (matches with fire mages). Nowi appears to be a thunder dragon (haven't gotten that far in Awakening) and is therefore blue (matches with thunder mages). Fae is a divine dragon and is therefore green (matches with Naga).

Awakening Tiki is red for no particularly good reason except for maybe the fact that her younger counterpart is red (again, haven't gotten that far in Awakening). I don't know anything about Corrin other than the fact that she isn't wearing shoes.

Nowi is ill-defined, but it points toward her being a Divine Dragon, so she should have been Green like Fae, or Red, like Tiki.  Actually, Blue is the last thing she should have been.

Corrin should have been Red, if we go by Dark being Red, since she's a Dark Dragon and even has Dark Breath.

Since Breath types can go to anyone, I'm not sure if those are a good way to separate them.

19 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm not sure if I struck a nerve, but there are several units who got weapons that aren't really their primary weapon.  Lucius and Lachesis being Staff users are the worst offenders.  Raven using an Axe is a lesser degree.

Soren should be a Green Tome user, but it's possible he won't be one.

Odin's Dark Magic is a weird example, since the Dark Mages in Fates aren't even really Dark Mages, they are Anima Mages who can use Nosferatu, and that's about it.

Well yes those examples are pretty much what I was responding to, but I feel there is a bigger context and that their are arguments and reasons to be found for those examples that I don't think applies to the clear cut mages. (I'd love to hear some though, it would likely be a pretty deep look into the games) 

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Linde's Aura tome is "light magic" even if magic isn't split in her original games.

Julia's Naga tome is unquestionably light magic, but is classified as green magic likely for its association with divine dragons (Fae being the only character who currently transforms into an actual divine dragon).

This is also my theory (that green light magic is draconic) but wasn't Aura created by Gotoh?
Or did he just keep it somewhere in the library before bestowing it on Miloah?

3 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

This is also my theory (that green light magic is draconic) but wasn't Aura created by Gotoh?
Or did he just keep it somewhere in the library before bestowing it on Miloah?

Draconic or not, Aura isn't quite at the level of pulling out a pocket divine dragon to nuke your enemy like Naga or Fae, though.

Actually.... now that I think about it, there actually is SOME rhyme/reason as to what breath weapons the manaketes have, you could argue... their breath types appear to correlate to what game they're in. Tiki (the only Archanea dragon) has Flametongue, the Elibe manaketes have Light Breath, the Awakening manaketes have Lightning Breath, and Corrin (Fates dragon) has Dark Breath. 

Not sure if this was intentional or what...?? Since for the most part, the weapons match up with their respective characters (debatably Awakening!Tiki is an exception since why would she go from having Flametongue as a kid to Lightning Breath as an adult but whatever)... 

This makes me wonder what dragon breath Myrrh would have. since in her game all there was was dragon stone and dark breath. (or whatever the dark dragons attacks were called.) i also wonder if she would be Green to corolate with the GBA dragon.