Let's Play Final Fantasy Tactics (WOTL): The Nadir of Videogames

Parrhesia

Just now, Augestein said:

It's fucked up that people would want to insist that's she younger. Think about that. 

you aren't helping your case. you're literally insisting that she's a different flavor of underage when she was raped in the past, and that that somehow makes me the monster for insisting that she was thirteen.

please consider this.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Slumber said:

As if Fire Emblem hasn't done the same thing.

fire emblem has never sunken this low to my knowledge

EDIT: even so, you post this at the guy who made a thread to shit on fire emblem's writing as a series dude

Edited by Integrity

Just now, Integrity said:

you aren't helping your case. you're literally insisting that she's a different flavor of underage when she was raped in the past, and that that somehow makes me the monster for insisting that she was thirteen.

please consider this.

You're still missing my point and somehow insisting that I'm advocating it at all. Please consider that. I'm not saying anything about you, but rather defending your attempts to make it out like I am. 

Someone tried to throw extra fuel on the fire by saying "she's 13," of which, I said she's not 13. That's all. And you twisted that into me trying to say "it's not so bad, she's older than 13." Rape is bad no matter what the age. But at the very least, we can conclude that she's a little older than 13, so this circlejerk of making this even worse should be banished. It wouldn't matter if Rafa was 95. It would still be awful. 

i'm not missing your point - the entire point i'm making is that you're bringing this shit up at all. literally why would you make this correction? she's fourteen years old if you want to be technical. there is no reason to even post this correction.

EDIT: what i'm getting at is that you're looking past the point of "she's officially thirteen" and latching onto some insanely by-the-books "but she can't actually be thirteen" and that directly puts you in opposition to the fact that it's shithouse by the fact that you're even discussing it

Edited by Integrity

3 minutes ago, Integrity said:

i'm not missing your point - the entire point i'm making is that you're bringing this shit up at all. literally why would you make this correction? she's fourteen years old if you want to be technical. there is no reason to even post this correction.

Because someone was trying to make age even a point and incorrectly pointed to her being 13. You don't want to see my point. She could be literally 20 by the time you get there. Honestly, Im' pretty sure IIRC that she eve has to be 15 by that point. My point was, is that throwing the child part is an attempt to make a bad thing somehow worse. And I countered by saying that the game wasn't even that sick. Like they have their limits too. Either way, I'm done here. Because you're still somehow just trying to fight.  

Edited by Augestein

She's fourteen by the time we reach her in the narrative and it bears no real narrative relevance. I think we can all agree that it was handled/exploited incredibly badly by the game. Let's move on.

9 minutes ago, Integrity said:

fire emblem has never sunken this low to my knowledge

Lene is raped by Bramsel DURING THE EVENTS OF CHAPTER 7 in Genealogy. She is 15.

Sylvia tries to seduce a man(Who is heavily implied to be her brother) by telling him how "experienced" she is. She is also around 15, and Sylvia's history involved her escaping from an explicitly abusive foster father.

Lara is 14, and her history before joining the Dandelions was her being sold into slavery. Her interactions with Perne and his reactions heavily imply that this was sex slavery.

Midori is a clearly prepubescent child who can have children during the course of Fates. This actually goes with many clearly prepubescent/young adolescent children in both Fates and Awakening.

The dark ages were a fucked time for everyone. Barrington is an awful, underdeveloped character, but this kind of writing isn't even remotely unique to FFT in this genre. Games that tend to draw on medieval influences tend to touch on some of this dark stuff.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Parrhesia said:

yeah and it was bad writing there as well

what is your point

Saying "fuck FFT on a cosmic level" and acting like this is specific thing is inexcusable in every way when you're posting on a Fire Emblem forum is short-sighted. That's the point.

Just now, Augestein said:

She could be literally 20 by the time you get there.

no. she can't. the story time mechanic is entirely divorced from the gameplay time mechanic. the game forces characters to age at certain points, and these are totally unrelated to the years you can spend fucking around on the world map. if you mess around for 90 years on the world map or whatever the fuck, and rapha is 103 years old, this is entirely not acknowledged by the game in any way. she's still the same character, 90 years later, and everything is treated the same. her age in the narrative has nothing to do with the stupid fucking counter on the world map that judges you for running around not doing the story.

4 minutes ago, Augestein said:

Honestly, Im' pretty sure IIRC that she eve has to be 15 by that point. My point was, is that throwing the child part is an attempt to make a bad thing somehow worse. And I countered by saying that the game wasn't even that sick. 

and with respect to the above: it is. the game says she's thirteen years old, the game has a one-year timeskip, only you are literally arguing with me that she's not thirteen or fourteen years old according to the narrative. who gives a shit what year the thing that you can arbitrarily fuck around forever on says it is? this is totally irrelevant to how the writers wrote the game.

even so, haha, you're right, she has to be at least 15, at least what's the difference to be perfectly honest, why are you even arguing this?

1 minute ago, Integrity said:

no. she can't. the story time mechanic is entirely divorced from the gameplay time mechanic. the game forces characters to age at certain points, and these are totally unrelated to the years you can spend fucking around on the world map. if you mess around for 90 years on the world map or whatever the fuck, and rapha is 103 years old, this is entirely not acknowledged by the game in any way. she's still the same character, 90 years later, and everything is treated the same. her age in the narrative has nothing to do with the stupid fucking counter on the world map that judges you for running around not doing the story.

and with respect to the above: it is. the game says she's thirteen years old, the game has a one-year timeskip, only you are literally arguing with me that she's not thirteen or fourteen years old according to the narrative. who gives a shit what year the thing that you can arbitrarily fuck around forever on says it is? this is totally irrelevant to how the writers wrote the game.

even so, haha, you're right, she has to be at least 15, at least what's the difference to be perfectly honest, why are you even arguing this?

didnt she get raped in the past though

so i dont think her current age is relevant anyway

edit: i am sorry for continuing this discussion but i wasn't sure about this part

Edited by unique

7 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Lene is raped by Bramsel DURING THE EVENTS OF CHAPTER 7 in Genealogy. She is 15.

Sylvia tries to seduce a man(Who is heavily implied to be her brother) by telling him how "experienced" she is. She is also around 15, and Sylvia's history involved her escaping from an explicitly abusive foster father.

Lara is 14, and her history before joining the Dandelions was her being sold into slavery. Her interactions with Perne and his reactions heavily imply that this was sex slavery.

Midori is a clearly prepubescent child who can have children during the course of Fates. This actually goes with many clearly prepubescent/young adolescent children in both Fates and Awakening.

The dark ages were a fucked time for everyone. Barrington is an awful, underdeveloped character, but this kind of writing isn't even remotely unique to FFT in this genre. Games that tend to draw on medieval influences tend to touch on some of this dark stuff.

ok i'll admit i'm getting a little worked up about the other dude but you're not wrong, fe4 had complete shithouse writing and deserves to be judged for every line put into it; perne is one of the worst characters in fire emblem, and fates isn't much better being anime pandering trash.

me posting on a fire emblem forum doesn't mean i endorse any of this, neither does it mean that even fucking fire emblem has not descended to the level of somebody being judged by her brother for having been raped.

Edited by Integrity

3 minutes ago, Integrity said:

So what's your point? 

4 minutes ago, Integrity said:

You guys obviously did before I even corrected that. 

THERE ISN'T ANY DIFFERENCE. WHICH IS WHY I'M WONDERING WHY PEOPLE WERE EVEN ACTING LIKE HER BEING THIRTEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE MATTERED. 

because there literally is a difference between Rape As Plot and Rape of Underage Woman As Plot? these things are literally different levels of shitty writing??

ok i'll admit i'm getting a little worked up about the other dude but you're not wrong, fe4 had complete shithouse writing and deserves to be judged for every line put into it; perne is one of the worst characters in fire emblem, and fates isn't much better being anime pandering trash.

me posting on a fire emblem forum doesn't mean i endorse any of this, neither does it mean that even fucking fire emblem has descended to the level of somebody being judged by her brother for having been raped.

You realize Perne is the one who saved Lara from a life of prostitution, saved Tina, sheltered a Lopto deserter who was scared for his life, and kept Lifis(And several other bandits/thieves) from going on a pillage spree, right? Perne is FE's Robin Hood and the Dandelions are his Merry Men. He wasn't the one who pushed Lara into sex slavery.

Also, Marach doesn't judge Rapha for getting raped, where did you get that from?

4 minutes ago, Integrity said:

because there literally is a difference between Rape As Plot and Rape of Underage Woman As Plot? these things are literally different levels of shitty writing??

No. But you're the one that raged over the underaged part. So then I'm confused on what in the seven layers of hell is your reasoning here. As you're still trying to demonize me for no reason.  

me posting on a fire emblem forum doesn't mean i endorse any of this, neither does it mean that even fucking fire emblem has descended to the level of somebody being judged by her brother for having been raped.

And this is just wrong. He didn't believe her, largely in part because he's a complete massive pile of dung, but he wasn't judging her for being raped. 

3 minutes ago, Parrhesia said:

guys.

please.

Fine. You're right. Sorry. I'm leaving. 

Edited by Augestein

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

Also, Marach doesn't judge Rapha for getting raped, where did you get that from?

His reaction to hearing her accusation is to hit her and try to kill her, so.

1 minute ago, Parrhesia said:

His reaction to hearing her accusation is to hit her and try to kill her, so.

Oh right, the earlier bit.

I thought he was talking about the revelation.

Yes, Marach's a fuck, and always the first to be ditched when it comes to special characters.

Edited by Slumber

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

literally two pages ago, when marach yelled at her for talking ill of their father after rapha said "you know what he did to me" etc

EDIT: re: perne: i'm not well-versed enough in the fe5 script to argue that to any detail beyond "this is the feeling i remember having about him" so i'm dropping it gracefully, you may be right

3 minutes ago, Augestein said:

No.

if you don't think those two things are different levels of narrative shittiness, apparently we have a fundamental disconnect that won't be resolved i guess

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Integrity

literally two pages ago, when marach yelled at her for talking ill of their father after rapha said "you know what he did to me" etc

Yeah, I thought you were talking about the scene where Barrington revealed that.