Death Note(American Adaptation) Trailer Thoughts and Discussion

To be blunt, it looks awful. Not just because of the typical issues when it comes to Western studios adapting manga/anime, but the cinematography looks like garbage. I could write a five-page essay breaking it down scene-by-scene as to why the cinematography in this 30-second trailer is ugly and poorly-designed, it's that bad. The implications of the high school drama that'll be crammed into the story and the actionization of what was, for better or worse, a series focused more on mind games and gambits stinks of studio mandates and the people making the movie once again failing to understand what was appealing about the original work. And as one final nitpick, Nat Wolff doesn't have the acting chops to pull of a role like Light, and the fact that he spends the trailer looking like a kicked puppy makes me think they did some ironing out of the moral grayness of the original story, unless those shots were taken from very early in the film.

Edited by AzureSen

To be honest, I'm not a fan of anime adaptations because most of them have not been very noteworthy. The only ones I can think of that I've seen and genuinely enjoyed are: the Usagi Drop movie, the Ace Attorney movie and a GTO movie. Also, I'm looking forward to the DiU live action movie.

I do believe this will be a decent movie but a bad Death Note adaptation. The trailer was pretty bad in a number of things, and I'm a tad bit skeptical about the actor playing Light as well as Misa being a cheerleader. That said, I do like to give things a chance before giving a final judgement, though

I haven't been following news of the movie, but I did see the recent trailer, and... I guess "I'm not impressed" is the best way to put it. It didn't seem particularly bad, but it didn't do anything to make me look forward to it, either.

But then, I'm expecting the worst. If I turn out to be wrong and it's a good movie, I won't be complaining. I liked the anime quite a bit.

I don't know, I might need to watch and see if this is good like from the actual anime? But, I don't have Netflix account. But, I'll might see that Death Note American Film adaption later after watching the Ghost of the Shell Film since that movie looks alot like it could be good since that film does look like it could be faithful from the actual anime and manga.