A couple of questions...

Jonnas

(I didn't see any "General Discussion" topic here, so I hope it's ok to ask these questions here. If not, I'll move them to the right topic)

So, I'm a GBA-era fan who recently got back into the series after buying a 3DS, along with Awakening. It's been great fun, getting back into a Fire Emblem game (currently trying to figure out how to get every chest in Paralogue 4). I do have a few questions, though:

1- I've noticed I can use a Master Seal on Chrom and Robin, like with every other unit. But do they promote automatically during the story, like previous lords? I already know Chrom can marry someone automatically if a support hasn't been formed (mine's already married Sumia, though), so I'm wondering if the same happens with his promotion

2-From what I understand, reclassing resets a character's stats. Is there any advantage into leveling someone up before reclassing them, then? Or do some level-ups carry over to the new class?

3- I'm a bit confused by the Spotpass stuff. At the first opportunity, everything in it was unlocked at once (though I haven't obtained anything from it yet). Is it supposed to be post-game content?

4- Finally, I'm wondering if I should get the DLC at one point (likely in later playthroughs), but there's something that hasn't been clear: are we supposed to tackle them at a specific level, or are enemy stats scaled to our current party? How does the difficulty level work, there?

Thanks in advance!

1. You promote them yourself, its not story locked. 

2. Reclassing just lowers/raises stats depending on the class in question, it shows what stats you'll lose and gain, you can effectively get more level ups by reclassing after you promote someone (in Awakening anyways since it can put them into a lower class again). So it can be used to grind up, if you like that. 

3. Its supposed to be post-game yes. 

4. I unfortunately never got the Awakening DLC, but I heard really good things about it, but I heard the later ones were really tough. Theres Gold & EXP grinding as well I know at least.

Edited by Jedi

1, 2 and 3 have been answered, so I'll answer 4 having played all but Apothesis.

Awakening's DLC varies in terms of usefulness in rewards and challenge. Some of it is pretty tough, some of it is very simple. It is not scaled to your party's levels, and the difficulty is indicated by stars next to it (1 being the first set of DLC, 5 being DLC like the Rougues and Redeemers map where you face 50 high leveled enemies and Apothesis beyond that). If a sale ever pops up again it might be good to pick it up, but Champions of Yore is an irrelevant set, the Scramble set is only good if you want the gameplay converstations, The Future Past is a pretty neat scenario but I don't know if you need pairings before playing it and the Challenge set only matters if you want to put yourself through it and gives nothing else. I like most of the other sets rewards regardless.

1. There's no automatic promotion. You can promote and reclass whenever you want and into whatever you want, provided you're the right level and have access to the right classes. Nothing forces you to promote.

2. Reclassing via second seal doesn't reset stats, though it does reset the level. As such, you can easily reclass over and over again to get to max stats.

3. Yes and no. You can get the weapons anytime, but many of them are high ranked and rare, so you should use them at later chapters. The maps are for the post game, as they unlock only at the final chapter. The teams vary in difficulty, so that's all your choice as to when or if you summon them.

4. Difficulty is the same no matter when you attempt the DLC maps. Some of them are easy, some are intermediate, and some are mindbogglingly hard. It's your choice as to if and what you get, as a few maps are for getting items and money, and others are just for fun or story. Research the individual maps to know what your getting into.

Edited by Rex Glacies

1., 2. 3., what everyone said so far.

4. As for the DLCs, it depends on your difficulty excluding the Gold, EXP and Apothesis as they're preset. From what I could tell, Rouge and Redeemer 3 had different stats from Hard Mode and Lunatic. For example, Hard Mode in Rouge and Redeemer 3 had most enemy with at least 1 or 2 max stat cap while in Lunatic, most of their stats are capped. So basically harder your difficulty and more Stars it has, the harder it is. Well this is just from my experience. I guess there's also the Future Past ones as well but those should be done at end game/near end game no matter the difficulty or you did a lot of grinding.

Edited by ZeroFinal
Forgot to mention a few things.

Alright, thanks for the help :D: I'll probably first promote the characters as per usual Fire Emblem tradition and reclass later for other promoted classes (kinda want to make Frederick a General at the first opportunity). I'll reclass more liberally in later playthroughs, I suppose.

And I think I'll just buy the DLC that interests me after the endgame. Since I just like the idea of beating a difficult map, it'll likely be Rogues&Redeemers and the ones harder than that.

Some DLC is gamebreaking, specifically EXPonential Growth (fast exp. for newb units) and Golden Gaffe (free cash). A lot of DLC can be used to trivialize the game if you know what you're doing, especially if you have those 2 maps and some powerful units in the Avatar Logbook.

EXPonential Growth provides boatloads of experience provided that the unit hasn't seen much combat (it gets to a point where repeated usage no longer becomes worthwhile for that unit). A relatively safe map as long as you're careful around the Entombed with Counter and don't try to clog the exits.

Golden Gaffe is a very safe DLC map as long as you pay attention to the combat forecast when using weak/untrained units. The Risen don't attack you during enemy phase and only fight back in retaliation during player phase. Can be beaten in 1-2 turns if using a maxed out team of high movement Galeforce units on Blitz auto-battle.

Harvest Scramble: Boss Risen always drops a Master Seal, meaning a basic unit can promote as early as Ch. 5 without the need for waiting on a Streetpass team or a Secret Shop. Be wary as there are Risen running Miracle and Counter.

Champions of Yore 3 provides decent exp. for higher level base units and provides the All Stats +2 skill manual.

Lost Bloodlines 2 provides the Dread Scroll (allows male units to reclass into Dread Fighter).

Lost Bloodlines 3 provides Paragon skill manual. Paragon doubles exp. gain and Lost Bloodlines 3 is a great map for grinding units provided that your training unit can survive it. 4 level-ups minimum (this is assuming Lunatic(+) difficulty) per clear.

Smash Brethren 2 provides the Bride Scroll (allows female units to reclass into Bride).

Smash Brethren 3 provides the Iote's Shield skill manual (only useful to fliers; prevents effective damage from bows, volant axes, and wind magic).

Rogues and Redeemers 3 provides the Limit Break skill manual (raises non-HP/movement stat caps by 10). The map, while farmable using a powerful and well-equipped unit, is a tough one, especially with a Counter-bomber and a Lethality user present on the map.

Edited by Roflolxp54

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody's gone into detail already, but I'll give you my take on the DLC:

First, there's the "nostalgia" sets. These have you facing armies of characters from previous games. Completing each map gives you a free Einherjar card, which adds a classic character to your army (though they're just relatively simple, voiceless units made using avatar parts).

Champions of Yore is the first one. The maps are moderately good for level-grinding mid-game units, and Champions of Yore 3 gives you the All Stats +2 skill, which is moderately useful.

Lost Bloodlines is the second one, and is harder. Notably, the Lost Bloodlines 3 pits you against 50 enemies, so once your units reach that point where they can OHKO everything and only gain 2 exp per battle, this is one of the better maps for just grinding levels. Speaking of which, it also gives you Paragon, an extremely powerful skill that doubles your exp gain. Lost Bloodlines 2 is also important, as it's the only way to get Dread Scrolls, letting you reclass male units into Dread Fighters. Dread Fighters wield swords, axes, and tomes, and have high Resistance.

Smash Bretheren is the third, and appropriately more difficult. Smash Bretheren 3 also pits you against 50 enemies, so it's good for levelling up units that are already getting close to their stat caps. You also get Iote's Shield as a skill, which negates aerial units' weakness to arrows and wind. Smash Bretheren 2 gives you Bouquets, which allow you to reclass female units into Brides. Brides wield lances, bows, and staves.

Rogues & Redeemers is the fourth, and most difficult. If you're looking for a legitimate challenge, Rogues & Redeemers 3 is a good map just for that alone, but more importantly it gives you Limit Breaker, a skill that increases all your stat caps by 10. Once a unit has used Limit Breaker and is getting close to maxxing out all their NEW stat caps, this is also the best map for grinding. However, as Roflolxp54 noted, one of the enemies has Lethality and one has Counter, so just mashing End Turn can be dangerous if you don't account for them. I just mark them and once they enter range manually kill them, then go back to mashing End Turn.

----

Then there's the "grinding" maps. One thing all three of these maps have in common is that your units all have funny pre-battle dialogue, though you can always just look that up.

Ostensibly, EXPonential Growth is meant to be the experience-grinding map, and it's good for early-game grinding, but post-game grinding is better done with the above DLC so it's pretty useless after a while.

The Golden Gaffe is a good source of money. Buy it if you like to buy lots of items.

Infinite Regalia gives you copies of rare weapons, but unlike the other two grinding maps it's actually a real challenge and a very fun map. You also get an item that permanently halves the prices of all shop items if you can clear it, so I highly recommend this one.

----

Next up is the Scramble Maps. These are not challenging at all; the maps just have a few token enemies laying around to give you an actual objective. The real fun is that they give many characters extra dialogue. Besides them all having funny pre-battle dialogue with the enemies, they can interact with each other to initiate special conversations similar to Supports. There's no tangible reward for these maps, so only buy them if you really want to read conversations.

Harvest Scramble takes pairs of characters who already have platonic supports (Such as, say, Chrom/Frederick) and gives them additional conversations.

Summer Scramble takes pairs of first-generation characters who don't have supports (Such as Sumia and Miriel) and gives them actual conversations. Additionally, there's special "sexy" fanservice pictures of Chrom, Gaius, Tharja, and Cordelia, the four winners of the first-gen popularity contest. And if your Robin happens to be married to one of those four, you get an extra conversation with them.

Hot Springs Scramble is the same as Summer Scramble, but instead of first-generation characters it's second-generation characters (And also pairs of "Robinsexuals" who have very few Supports). Lucina, Owain, Severa, and Inigo, the winners of the second-gen popularity contest, get pictures of themselves in yukatas, and if your Robin is married to one of them there's extra conversation with them.

----

The Future Past maps are story. They chronicle a world where Lucina was unable to travel to the past, and she and her allies must make a final desperate stand. There's some challenge here compared to other maps, though nothing overwhelmingly tough. The main draw, besides the surprisingly engaging story, is that all of your first-generation characters have special dialogue with their alternate-universe children. In fact, all the fathers actually have specific dialogue with each of their possible children instead of just using generic supports like in the main game.

----

The Challenge Maps are very tough maps that put you in unusual conditions. The only reward for beating them is more Einherjar, so the main reason to buy these is for the challenge itself. I won't launch into exact details on all three of them, just know that you really need a good strategy to beat them.

Apotheosis is basically a fourth Challenge Map, but it's even harder and standalone. It's name is accurate; it's the hardest challenge you'll face in the entire game, and it can get even harder depending on how you play.

Thanks for the tips :^_^: The ones that interest me are the difficult maps (which are, I gather, the 4-star maps and above), Future Past, and the packs with the extra classes & skills. But I'll probably only get them after I finish the game (considering all of those maps come to 30-35€ total, it's definitely better to buy them when I'm ready to play them).

On 08/04/2017 at 5:01 AM, Anomalocaris said:

In fact, all the fathers actually have specific dialogue with each of their possible children instead of just using generic supports like in the main game.

Wait, the parent/sibling supports are generic? So, Lucina's shopping shenanigans with Sumia aren't an exclusive thing to that pairing?

*checks Support scripts* ...Aw man, it's the same conversation with Sully :>_<: That's disappointing, to say the least.

20 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Wait, the parent/sibling supports are generic? So, Lucina's shopping shenanigans with Sumia aren't an exclusive thing to that pairing?

*checks Support scripts* ...Aw man, it's the same conversation with Sully :>_<: That's disappointing, to say the least.

There's some very minor differences (such as Henry being Henry), but otherwise yeah, parent and sibling supports are generic.