Nintendo E3 2017

Tolvir

According to Reggie, the spotlight section will be very brief and to the point, with Treehouse focusing on it in more detail and revealing more information during the first hour. It sounds like that Nindies Direct where they went through a lot of games in just a manner of minutes. I know Reggie is fluent in PR speak, but it sounds like there'll be a lot of information, at least.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Ninty have a full E3 conference or just a Treehouse?

I know they're aren't competing in the same league as the PS4 Pro or XB One X, but will wanting the Legendary Edition of Skyrim (i.e. with all DLCs) be asking too much of the Switch?

28 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Can 26 minutes of Nintendo salvage what's been an otherwise abysmal E3? 

I wonder. 

Probably not. I'll be satisfied as long as we get some more information on the new No More Heroes game, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It and The Evil Within 2 are the only games I really care about this year.

45 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Can 26 minutes of Nintendo salvage what's been an otherwise abysmal E3? 

I wonder. 

I'm gonna be honest, even with the Nintendo bias on here, it's not been a good E3 and all, and people obviously aren't going to give Ubisoft (surprisingly) and Sony the credit they deserve for decent-good showings but I severely doubt that Nintendo will wow even fans in 25 minutes unless they find a way to time compress. Well, they shouldn't, anyway, but I've seen them being overstated repeatedly.

Edited by Tryhard

10 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I'm gonna be honest, even with the Nintendo bias on here, it's not been a good E3 and all, and people obviously aren't going to give Ubisoft (surprisingly) and Sony the credit they deserve for decent-good showings but I severely doubt that Nintendo will wow even fans in 25 minutes unless they find a way to time compress.

Sony might have had the worst showing of the bunch.

I mean, EA definitely showed less that was actually interesting, but Sony announced nothing new from their first party devs. They announced some new VR games(Yippee) and Monster Hunter, which is multiplat. That's it. That's all there is for new content on the PS4. They put Final Fantasy: Pro Bass Fishing in their sizzle reel this year.

They started off with showcasing two DLCs, and Days Gone looks like the most generic thing a video game developer could make for a Sony platform. God of War is looking a bit more interesting than last year, but it's still got the bad tendency that Sony games have nowadays of constantly taking control away from the player in the middle of gameplay to show off cool mini-cutscenes. Which, you know. It's God of War. That's Sony's flagship "Presentation, no meat" game franchise, so it's understandable that they're doing that. However, even Spider-Man, a game which should not be stopping you every 10 seconds to show off some random spectacle, is looking like it's going to be full of that. And I fucking hate it.

And that's pretty much it for the big cornerstones of Sony's conference this year. It made me all kinds of angry.

I'll give you UbiSoft, though. They managed to be decent, but they still had a Let's Dance skit in the middle of their presentation.

Edited by Slumber

My personal predictions:

Fire Emblem Warriors- new trailer. They'll likely officially announce what was in CoroCoro a couple of weeks ago. I'll also expect the Treehouse to showcase some gameplay.

Fire Emblem Switch- some info. Probably not much beside a quick teaser trailer.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2- new trailer. They'll likely reveal more on the story, setting, and characters, but I doubt any gameplay (i.e. Treehouse playing it).

Ever Oasis- a lot of info. Specifically a good amount of Treehouse showcasing.

Breath of the Wild DLC- showcasing. They'll play through a bit of the upcoming DLC revealed a month or two ago, and maybe reveal a new DLC pack.

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon- some info. They'll likely reveal a couple of differences between these and Sun and Moon, possibly new Alolan forms (assuming there will be new ones), maybe reveal some info behind the Necrozema and Solgaleo/Lunala fusion.

Super Mario Odessy, Splatoon 2, and Arms have already been confirmed, so I see no need to guess what'll be shown.

Numerous Nindie games.

Other games I don't particularly pay attention to (Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing, others).

10 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Sony might have had the worst showing of the bunch.

I mean, EA definitely showed less that was actually interesting, but Sony announced nothing new from their first party devs. They announced some new VR games(Yippee) and Monster Hunter, which is multiplat. That's it. That's all there is for new content on the PS4. They put Final Fantasy: Pro Bass Fishing in their sizzle reel this year.

They started off with showcasing two DLCs, and Days Gone looks like the most generic thing a video game developer could make for a Sony platform. God of War is looking a bit more interesting than last year, but it's still got the bad tendency that Sony games have nowadays of constantly taking control away from the player in the middle of gameplay to show off cool mini-cutscenes. Which, you know. It's God of War. That's Sony's flagship "Presentation, no meat" game franchise, so it's understandable that they're doing that. However, even Spider-Man, a game which should not be stopping you every 10 seconds to show off some random spectacle, is looking like it's going to be full of that. And I fucking hate it.

And that's pretty much it for the big cornerstones of Sony's conference this year. It made me all kinds of angry.

I'll give you UbiSoft, though. They managed to be decent, but they still had a Let's Dance skit in the middle of their presentation.

Even just with announcing Monster Hunter and the Shadow of the Colossus remake they had put on a decent showing at worst, it's not as if people cared that the FF7 remake reveal was not an exclusive game at the time, they were just happy to see it. Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus are big games to show off, as is the Uncharted and God of War games for their core franchises. I liked the Spider-Man footage. Overindulgent, but looks like a good game. They also have benefited in the past couple years from just showing continually games instead of meandering over two hours, the structure is very to the point and well done. Even some of the lesser games didn't lose all interest. Still, Ubisoft have a game I have been waiting for a while in Beyond Good & Evil 2 so I won't write them off either.

I don't know how people can say the Sony conference was bad. It wasn't. Not as good as last year (obvious).

I'll give Microsoft the benefit and say I should have said them too, though. They are improving.

Edited by Tryhard

Just now, Tryhard said:

Even just with announcing Monster Hunter and the Shadow of the Colossus remake they had put on a decent showing at worst, it's not as if people cared that the FF7 remake reveal was not an exclusive game at the time, they were just happy to see it. Monster Hunter and Shadow of the Colossus are big games to show off, as is the Uncharted and God of War games for their core franchises. I liked the Spider-Man footage. Overindulgent, but looks like a good game. They also have benefited in the past couple years from just showing continually games instead of meandering over two hours, the structure is very to the point and well done. Still, Ubisoft have a game I have been waiting for a while in Beyond Good & Evil 2 so I won't write them off either.

I'll give Microsoft the benefit and say I should have said them too, though. They are improving.

For all intents and purposes, Shadows of the Colossus looks like it's a remaster, not a full-on remake. Which has already been done before. I don't give it to Sony for showcasing another remaster of a game that's already been remastered.

I'm hearing a ton of conflicting opinions on the Sony show. People are upset that there was no Last of Us 2 or FF7. But the conference as a whole to me was like "cool cutscene, can I play the game now?", and those two would for sure be more of that. I guess I feel like the show was okay, maybe a solid B at the most optimistic. A large quantity of games, not a lot of substance between them, way too many 2018 releases. And no I don't want to buy Shadow of the Colossus again - either do a damned sequel or port that HD remaster from a few years ago and make it cheap.

I don't know what specifically Nintendo needs to show, but it could be an easy win if they've got a surprise or two. We know the 2017 plans, hit us with the long term. Don't let Ubisoft win E3.

7 minutes ago, Slumber said:

For all intents and purposes, Shadows of the Colossus looks like it's a remaster, not a full-on remake. Which has already been done before. I don't give it to Sony for showcasing another remaster of a game that's already been remastered.

Most places are reporting it as remake, but it might be a remaster dependent on what you consider that. I happen to have an old PC favourite in Age of Empires that is getting a "remake" which 'just' involves making the game look better and improving the gameplay in places. Either way, it's still Shadow of the Colossus and that name still carries weight, and it will sell and be a spectacle for those who like it.

Edited by Tryhard

Just now, Tryhard said:

Most places are reporting it as remake, but it might be a remaster. I happen to have an old PC favourite in Age of Empires that is getting a "remake" which 'just' involves making the game look better and improving the gameplay in places. Either way, it's still Shadow of the Colossus and that name still carries weight, and it will sell and be a spectacle for those who like it.

But the last time SotC was remastered, ICO came with it. This time, it's just SotC with prettier graphics.

1 minute ago, Slumber said:

But the last time SotC was remastered, ICO came with it. This time, it's just SotC with prettier graphics.

All that suggests to me is that it's more likely a remake instead of a remaster considering how they are not including ICO to work more on SotC, as well as it having the generous release date of 2018, lol.

3 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

All that suggests to me is that it's more likely a remake instead of a remaster considering how they are not including ICO to work more on SotC, as well as it having the generous release date of 2018, lol.

Except they showed off everything that was in SotC, with no updates aside from graphics, which falls under "remaster".

This isn't like the Ratchet and Clank remake we got last year, which was a complete overhaul of the original, or the FF7 remake, which is getting a new script, and new gameplay, on top of new graphics.

Even if it turned out they made ENTIRELY new assets for the graphics for SotC like the Crash games coming out this year, that's still not some huge, mega-bomb announcement.

Edited by Slumber

Yeah, the presentations haven't been all that great, but...

I don't really care too much?  I'm just looking for the games, and even if there's only a few in a list that I like, that's enough for me.  I hate being overloaded with games, so the few I took interest in were fine.  Battlefront, Battlefield, and a few others grabbed my attention, even if some were lacking actual details.

Plus, I've mostly just been looking forward to the Nintendo Direct and Treehouse anyway.  And I'm only looking for a few games among that mess.

That all being said... did we really get no info on TLoU 2?  No Crash?  Not like there's much to present that hasn't already been presented there, but still...  And how many trailers did we get that had gameplay out of the total games shown?

6 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Don't let Ubisoft win E3.

It's a real indictment of this year's E3 when people are legitimately hoping that Ubisoft doesn't wind up the best conference with one day left of conferences.

4 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Except they showed off everything that was in SotC, with no updates aside from graphics, which falls under "remaster".

This isn't like the Ratchet and Clank remake we got last year, which was a complete overhaul of the original, or the FF7 remake, which is getting a new script, and new gameplay, on top of new graphics.

Do we know what's in the game yet? Do we know if there might be new colossus as was originally intended? There very well might not be, but I'm not sure how you can say either way.

Most people are calling it a remake at this early stage. If you want to call it a remaster to attempt to discredit it because there already has been an HD port/remaster, then go ahead. I don't see the point.

Edited by Tryhard

Just now, Tryhard said:

Do we know what's in the game yet? Do we know if there might be new colossus as was originally intended? There very well might not be, but I'm not sure how you can say either way.

Most people are calling it a remake at this early stage. If you want to call it a remaster to attempt to discredit it because there already has been an HD port/remaster, then go ahead.

They showed the gameplay. They showed Wander fighting the same Colossus, in the same exact ways, in the same locations, with the same exact animations, and the world, from what we saw from the environment shots we got, look exactly the same. The ONLY difference was that the graphics were updated.

People call it a remake because people don't know what the fuck any of this shit means anymore. They were calling the HD remaster of the Resident Evil remake a remake, because it had upresed, touched up textures and a higher framerate.

Again, even if they went the full 10 yards and completely remade the assets, that's a very, very soft "remake". And if that's the case, sure. It's a remake. However, that's not something that should be the "major announcement" for a conference at E3. It's not anything like the FF7 remake, or the RaC remake. It's barely even up to the Crash remakes, and those are 3 games being sold for $40.

13 minutes ago, Slumber said:

People call it a remake because people don't know what the fuck any of this shit means anymore. They were calling the HD remaster of the Resident Evil remake a remake, because it had upresed, touched up textures and a higher framerate.

Your personal opinion of people being wrong is irrelevant. What matters is the public perception.

Otherwise, this is rather pointless.

Edited by Tryhard

32 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Your personal opinion of people being wrong is irrelevant. What matters is the public perception.

Otherwise, this is rather pointless.

That wasn't personal opinion. Actually, nothing I said in that snippet you quoted was opinion, aside from saying that people don't really know what to classify remasters versus remakes.

Public perception matters very little, since "remaster" and "remake" aren't flexible terms. They're pretty hard, defined terms. A remaster is literally what it says. It's a remaster of the original. Very little is altered, and the biggest changes are touch-ups to make things nicer. There's little to nothing about them that's being "remade" from the ground up. That's what a remake is, where things are being made again. That's why I conceded that if they made entirely new assets for SotC, then yes, it'd be a remake, since they would technically be "remaking" something. But it'd be a very soft remake, since it's apparently the only thing they've changed.

As an aside, here's a major game publication calling REmake's remaster "A new Resident Evil 1 remake" over and over again, showing that not even people who write about games for a living always know what the difference is:

https://www.polygon.com/2014/9/1/6092801/resident-evil-trailer

This whole argument of "remake" or "remaster" does very little to change the fact that this is a very flaccid "get" for Sony at this year's E3, if it's supposed to be one of their two "big" reveals this year. There's a reason Sony decided to tease the FF7 remake at E3 last year, probably 4 years before any of us will ever play it, and why FFXII: The Zodiac Age got announced on Square's twitter before E3, a year before release.

Edited by Slumber

I'm excited for the E3 announcements to show off some Nintendo games for the Switch and others for the 3DS system. I think the Nintendo showcase for the E3 presentation will might possibly show off like:

• Cipher Companions DLC for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, maybe more gameplay footage of the Cipher characters since we only did seen their in-game models in the Cipher stream
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Fire Emblem Switch title
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle since we did seen a trailer today, I'm pretty sure they'll show off the gameplay footage tomorrow
  • Ever Oasis
  • New Nintendo 2DS XL demo
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I + II
  • new Shin Megami Tensei Switch title
  • Virtual Console announcement + the new Classic thing that is not replacing the Virtual Console
  • Detective Pikachu (incase if it is coming or not since it wasn't shown off in the Nintendo Switch + more 3DS Direct nor the Pokemon Direct either?)
  • maybe more 3rd party games porting to the Switch similar to like the Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 that we saw from the Nintendo Switch presentation back then
  • possibly more amiibos
  • more Switch games
  • I have no idea if they will might showing off some major new updated content for Fire Emblem Heroes?
  • I am not entirely too sure about the Animal Crossing Mobile App and other Nintendo mobile games will be shown off this time around?
Edited by King Marth 64

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

See this is why we need a suit to come out on stage to talk about the games every once in a while. Imagine how quick we'd come around if some guy came out and said "You may have noticed several iconic battles from the original, but we hope you'll look forward to whole new ones featuring expanded gameplay mechanics and new environments". That may not be a reality and we're getting a second remaster, I just think I'm starting to see the flaws in Sony's "let's just show a reel of game trailers with a vague release window at the end" style of conference. Yes, we just want to know about the games as consumers. But only out of a basic need for information, not a need for more spectacle.

Also, I would be very impressed if Nintendo can get through 25 minutes that doesn't include a new line of amiibo. Let's not forget those unfortunate Nintendo Direct trends. 

35 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle since we did seen a trailer today, I'm pretty sure they'll show off the gameplay footage tomorrow

they did.  It's basically Valkyria Chronices, Xcom and Codename Steam style of tactics which I am a fan of.

https://youtu.be/JUCc4ynL9fU?t=476

9 minutes ago, omglmaowtf said:

Woah, people are still excited for Nintendo's E3 showing? When even Capcom has given up on the Switch thinking it's not worthy enough for their MH multiplat?

heh, caring about how Capcom releases games in the 21st century. But yeah, we're definitely not seeing the triple A scene acknowledging the Switch and I think that's an issue moving forward. I do, however, see some progress in the Ubisoft conference. When was the last time a non nintendo E3 conference debuted a game exclusive to a Nintendo system? Nintendo has always had to self promote their DS/3DS and Wii/Wii U titles, including third party ones.