Add New Text Characters (á, ó, ú) to FE7 NTSC or Edit Text in European ROM?

Dualgas

OK, so I have run into a bit of a dilemma when trying to edit the text of Fire Emblem 7. See, I'm trying to translate the game into Irish, a language that uses the diacritical marks á, ó, ú, í and é. So, I thought, since the game has a Spanish localization, and the Spanish language has all of those diacritical marks, I can just edit that right? Well, it turns out FEditor Adv will only except ROMs of the American version of the game. So, I tried editing an American ROM, but the character "á" showed up as "?" in game. I've heard that if you can decompress the Huffman compression on the text in the ROM, you can edit the text manually with a Hex editor, like here, but I have no idea how I'd go about doing it with the Spanish ROM. 

So, is it possible to either edit the text of a European version of the game, or add new text characters into the American version, and if so, which would be easier? Thanks in advance for any replies. :^_^:

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2017 at 7:45 AM, FlappyFlier said:

OK, so I have run into a bit of a dilemma when trying to edit the text of Fire Emblem 7. See, I'm trying to translate the game into Irish, a language that uses the diacritical marks á, ó, ú, í and é. So, I thought, since the game has a Spanish localization, and the Spanish language has all of those diacritical marks, I can just edit that right? Well, it turns out FEditor Adv will only except ROMs of the American version of the game. So, I tried editing an American ROM, but the character "á" showed up as "?" in game. I've heard that if you can decompress the Huffman compression on the text in the ROM, you can edit the text manually with a Hex editor, like here, but I have no idea how I'd go about doing it with the Spanish ROM. 

So, is it possible to either edit the text of a European version of the game, or add new text characters into the American version, and if so, which would be easier? Thanks in advance for any replies. :^_^:

Both of those would be difficult. To edit the text in the spanish version, you would have to find a spanish version of the "anti huffman patch" (which i assume would be the same, exept with diferent pointers and offsets. No idea if this already exists (if so, its probably best to ask in the spanish "fire emblem WOD" forums). If not, you would have to reverse engineer the english version's patch to find the pointers. and offsets, and then manualy make your own patch.

THe other alterantive is to replace the english version's font with the one from the spanish version (which requires replacing both the image and the maping info), and apply the anti-huffman patch appropriate for that version. This is not necessarily easy, but is the first step of any japanese to english translation, so people do it all the time for all sorts of games. As such, RHDN is probably your best bet, because it has lots of general translation hacking info that should help you.  (You will want to know how to replace images anyway, so that you can do things like replace the title screen, and other graphics with writing on them.) http://www.romhacking.net/start/

Fin fact, The mother 3 translation team actually added diacritical marks that they never used, simply because they knew this would come up when people wanted to translate that game to other languages.