Official Serenes Forest Discord (New Members read OP!)

Jyosua

JUNE 2019 UPDATE: The automatic Discord role integration is broken after the forum upgrade. There are instructions within the Discord itself for how to gain posting/reading privileges. FOLLOW THOSE!

Several people have asked about a Discord server for the site. This is a replacement for IPChat, which will be defunct by the end of the month.

Spoiler

<New Members>Automated roles with forum integration have been implemented! However, please note that members in the New Member group will not immediately have access to the discord. If this is you, you'll need to reach a certain level of activity on the forums. Once you do, you'll be automatically promoted and able to access the Discord.<New Members>

We've set it up so that guests are not able to speak. In order to gain full permissions to the server, follow these steps:

1. Join the Discord server.
  2. Login to your account here, on the forums.
  3. Click your display name in the top right, and click on Account Settings.
  4. Click the Discord option on the right.
  5. Authenticate and grant our integration app access.
  6. If your role isn't immediately assigned, reload the Account Settings page.

Screenshot of the Account Settings page:

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 5.47.45 PM.png

If you need something discord-related or would like a channel made, contact the staff in the server.

When you join, make sure to read the rules, but more importantly, have fun!

Invite Link: https://discord.gg/nwdUGrD

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a strictly text based chat or is it voice and/or video?

I try to avoid voice, because either there is risk of crying children in my background or noises from said chat waking said children.  Video is a no-go because I may not be wearing attire that would be appropriate for public viewing.  Sadly, my children are reaching the age where I can no longer safely lounge around naked.

I would to join but I don't want to talk because:

1. While it is decent, I don't think you want to hear my english just yet.

2. I don't want to explain to my parents why I'm talking in english on the computer like that.

13 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is this a strictly text based chat or is it voice and/or video?

I try to avoid voice, because either there is risk of crying children in my background or noises from said chat waking said children.  Video is a no-go because I may not be wearing attire that would be appropriate for public viewing.  Sadly, my children are reaching the age where I can no longer safely lounge around naked.

There's no video thing on Discord yet :P

Edited by Nym

I have yet to announce my voice over Discord.  The communication is text-only.  Not sure if there will be voice in the future, but if there is, you won't hear mine.

There is a General voice channel if you wish to use it, but most people don't. If there's a desire for more voice channels in the future, we can set up more. For now, you can use it for either text or voice, whichever you prefer.

9 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I'm in

but I can't post anything, can I get some help

there is a validation channel where you can ping a mod (there is also a general mods ping, you can start typing out "@global moderator" and discord should bring up a suggestion list to autofill the rest for you EDIT: oh also there's an "administrator" ping) and link your sf account so that they know that you're a member of the forum joining and not some random trying to spam or a bot (but also just like with ipchat your warns in chat will be linked to your account so if you're being a bad boy they need to know who you are~)

Edited by Freohr Datia

Integrating API meaning that it will be integrated into the site, correct? I'm rather tech dumb so I have no idea what anything you said means, Jyosua.

Yup, the discord channel will be integrated similarly to the way we had been using the IP chat, except it'll be a lot more user friendly and not hidden away in a tab. At least, from the images I've seen of the app.

Edited by Tangerine

There are some plugins available for site display, but I also need to integrate it so that user role assignment can be automatic.

4 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

Sounds awesome I will most likely be joining if it is an open thing to members that is.

Yes, you can still join~!

• Jyosua pinned this topic

Hey guys! We've implemented automated role assignment. I posted the instructions in the first post. If you are in one of those odd one-off member groups and are having trouble getting your discord role assigned, just message the staff.