Preparing for a Lunatic Run: Thoughts?

I'm planning a Lunatic run (no DLC), but I still plan to make use of any special shops and random items that come my way. 

While endgame allows you to deploy 16 characters, I would much rather use 10-12 characters I really like and feed them up with experience. I also plan to have the Avatar marry Lucina as she is my fave.

Anyway, how do these look? Do I really need someone bulky or mounted like a Great Knight or Paladin? I recognize that a lot of these characters are either squishy physical attackers or mages..... 

Units I plan to level up and use from their join chapter to endgame. 
Chrom
Lissa
Maribelle
Sumia
Cordelia
Olivia
Lucina
Severa

Pair-up bots

Cordelia's Husband (Vaike, Lon'qu, or Gregor)
Lissa's Husband (Ricken, Libra, or Henry)
Olivia's Husband (Probably Frederick)

Endgame Pairups
Dark Flier Sumia X Great Lord Chrom
Great Lord Lucina X Grandmaster or Sage Avatar
Hero Severa X Falcon Knight Cordelia
Sage Lissa X Valkyrie Maribelle
Olivia X Frederick

Wow, that are really frail units. You plan to turtle through the game? Because almost all of your units need massive EXP investments, even then they won't be the strongest units to use.

Maribelle and Lissa both die at any physical hit. They are best used as staff bots.

Cordelia has a good start, but need many kills to keep up. Vaike is great to keep her offensive up, or consider Kellam for his defense.

Sumia x Frederick is very good to use. Fred will be your God early game anyway, Sumia provides much needed speed.

Chrom can marry Sumia if you wanted too, or use a Seed of Trust and get Olivia!Lucina.

I would suggest using Panne, Nowi, Cherche and Gregor too. Dark mages Henry and Tharja are also in high tier.

Without DLC it will be very hard to keep everyones level up. Especially if everyone on your needs it.

Try some more units that can take a hit, or prepare to take it really slow...

2 minutes ago, SSJDennis said:

Wow, that are really frail units. You plan to turtle through the game? Because almost all of your units need massive EXP investments, even then they won't be the strongest units to use.

Maribelle and Lissa both die at any physical hit. They are best used as staff bots.

Cordelia has a good start, but need many kills to keep up. Vaike is great to keep her offensive up, or consider Kellam for his defense.

Sumia x Frederick is very good to use. Fred will be your God early game anyway, Sumia provides much needed speed.

Chrom can marry Sumia if you wanted too, or use a Seed of Trust and get Olivia!Lucina.

I would suggest using Panne, Nowi, Cherche and Gregor too. Dark mages Henry and Tharja are also in high tier.

Without DLC it will be very hard to keep everyones level up. Especially if everyone on your needs it.

Try some more units that can take a hit, or prepare to take it really slow...

Ahh, ninja'd. Yeah, this guy's got the right idea. Nowi, Panne and some sorcerers feel like an absolute must. Pairing up Nowi with a high defense unit like Kellam will also be a huge help once you're able to get Nah. Lon'qu!Yarne is also a tough unit to kill if used correctly due to his fantastic speed. Making use of the 2nd gen characters is just a good idea in general, really. And if you set your Avatar's asset to speed then marrying Sumia!Lucina will give Morgan godlike speed, which should really help out.

...You are planning to use Morgan, right...?

No love for the male characters eh?

Well, I've never found much of a use for Sully as a tank. Always felt like I got more out of her as an offensive unit. Her defense and resistance growths aren't all that inspiring so I doubt she will cut it as your token sturdy unit. Cherche is a good physical defender, but her resistance is atrocious. Pretty much any enemy mage will wreck her pretty instantly unless she can kill them with her first attack. Gotta recommend Nowi for the tanking department. Strong defense, strong resistance, has a ranged attack, levels faster than usual due to the Manakete class and has fantastic defense growths. Kellam is also a good choice since he can access the war monk class in order to stack Renewal on top of his Pavise. Have these two pair up and you'll be left with an incredibly sturdy combo that frequently dual guards. And again, sorcerers. Gotta make use of those self healing sorcerers. They take the pressure off of the healers by being able to keep themselves alive.

In regards to healers, war monks have fairly good magic for healing but can also actually take a hit or two before going down, which is an area in which Lissa and Maribelle have a lot of difficulties. Libra starts out in the class, but he's another unit I've not gotten much use out of, so I can't really tell you if he's worth keeping until the end game. Honestly, I'd have your Avatar fill the role, at least for a while. Even if you change classes later you'll come out of it with access to Renewal, which again, is quite a great skill. It's especially useful if you plan on having your avatar become a sage like you mentioned, since sages are super squishy in general.

On that note, how are you building your Avatar? What's your asset and flaw going to be?

I like Chrom, Owain, Frederick, Henry, Stahl, and to a lesser extent Gaius but seeing as how Owain can't get Galeforce in a no grind environment I was going to focus on funneling experience to my Avatar, Cordelia, Chrom, Lucina, and Severa!

For my avatar, I always do +Magic, -Defense then reclass to dark sage to compensate for the defense growth. If Maribelle and Lisa are too redundant, I can always cut one but I like them paired together a lot haha and heal grinding is usually pretty straigt forwars!

In my experience it is very hard to use more than 5-6 first generation units on lunatic. The enemies are just too powerful for a big army to keep up. Moreover, the best strategy is to powerlevel your avatar early, so other characters cannot get much experience. I would recommend to level up up to 3 first generation pairings and then adding their children to your endgame team. 

The first gen characters I would recommend are mostly Panne and the dark mages. Panne becomes very good when reclassed to wyvern rider and the dark mages have access to Nosferatu, the best weapon in the game. Miriel is also a good choice because she is easier to train than most other early game units due to having a 1-2 ranged weapon and can be reclassed to dark mage to keep her relevant in the endgame. Stahl makes a good early game tank thanks to his good defence growth and enough speed to not be double. However, he falls of towards the endgame. Other good potential husbands for your female units include Lon'qu, Vaike and Gregor, all of which give good pair up boosts, but besides Gregor, they are quite bad at combat. I usually bench them or use them exclusively as pair up bots once I get their children.

Lissa and Maribelle are a liability on lunatic, they get one shot and get doubled very easily. Libra and Anna are much better a healers due to their good survivability and even decent combat abilities at their join time. 

There is nothing wrong marrying Lucina to your avatar if you like the pairing. But if speaking from a gameplay perspective, marrying your avatar to a first gen lady is supperior because you can both recruit Morgan earlier and pass down your avatars great stats and skills to his other child. 

If I can only choose 5-6 first gen units, then I pick Chrom, Sumia, the Avatar, Cordelia, Lissa, and Olivia, and maybe Anna. I plan to grind Lissa as much as I can when I recruit her and grind Olivia to Level 30 in her join chapter.  For child units, I will use Morgan, Severa, and Lucina, and I will definitely marry Lucina to my avatar. I can use Lissa, Anna, and Cordelia as Rescuers whilst using the children as Galeforce powerhouses! I suppose Olivia and Lissa may be permitted husbands whilst Cordelia's husband, either Vaike, Gregor, or Lon'qu (probably Lon'qu for the speed and skill)) will remain a pair-up fodder. 

My priorities will be:

Getting Galeforce on Sumia in time to pass it down to Lucina, then moving Sumia through the Great Knight Class for Luna. 

Getting Galeforce on Cordelia to pass down to Severa.

Moving Morgan through the Dark Flier class using the remaining experience pool after recruiting her. 

Staff Grinding and Promoting Lissa to Sage ASAP. 

I'd reccomend MU (preferably Magic+) x Miriel, just because it is REALLY good (or at least give them a A-Support for the earlygame).
And also Libra x Olivia. At that point Frederick is useless anyways and the +5 or +6 Def gives won't save a shitty Olivia. Better have a staffbot that can actually do something. And personally, I'd go Mercenary->Hero Cordelia as you have no axe users whatsoever.

Edited by Mariode