"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

2 hours ago, NaokiP said:

As far as Chapter 1 goes,

Reveal hidden contents

she does seem to like him a bit, but nothing to indicate "love" at this point, not in my opinion anyways. The conflict of nobility and commoners seems to be a fairly important plot point for Alm's side, something that was never really a point in Gaiden, and Clive and Claire are both totally accepting of the commoners in the Liberation Army. Claire makes a faux pas here and there when dealing with them (primarily Alm), but you can tell she means well. Other nobles don't agree with their ideas though.

Back to the original question, though, Grey and Robin both seem to like her and keep trying to one-up each other on who'll win her affection. In one dungeon conversation, Robin suggests to Alm that Claire seems to like him, but Alm doesn't think anything of it. Robin basically tells Alm that he's a dense idiot, and feels relieved as Gray turns out to be his only rival on the matter.

My question: Has anyone figured out how many supports each unit can have?
Are we back to 5-per unit limit? That would honestly kind of suck for understanding the new personalities and interactions they came up with for all the characters, so I'm keeping most units from advancing any supports they have unlocked so far.

Also, does the calendar system really mean anything gameplay-wise or is it just there as eye candy? Are we running on a timer? I don't recall turn number having any impact on how Gaiden played out, but the game has made no reference to it so far.

I also wonder if there are any story repercussions to (over)using Mila's Gear, but I don't feel up to experimenting with it on my first playthough. I'll just play without it.

Spoiler

Okay, I'm really glad she's not just like Faye then. The whole thing of nobles vs. commoners sounds interesting too. Thanks!

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Camisado said:
  Hide contents

When is Conrad recruited and is he any good?

Just got there now but after the map with Dolk in Chapter 4.

They seem really good, like comparable to Zeke as a level 7 Paladin.

Edited by Tryhard

What does the Black Pearl quest item do? It doesn't seem to affect stats when equipped. Is there some other benefit it provides in combat? Is it some unmarked collection quest?

18 hours ago, Kaminari said:
  Hide contents

Okay, I'm really glad she's not just like Faye then. The whole thing of nobles vs. commoners sounds interesting too. Thanks!

Spoiler

Eh, scratch that, she's totally into him. Supports really show it. But one thing I quite like about supports this time around is that the characters seem aware of the fact they're on the battlefield. Alm says it to Claire when she greets him formally, Gray points it out to Robin when they get into a bit of a quarrel about her. Coming from Gaiden that I played around 3 years ago it's great to see all these characters have their own personalities and troubles actually shown ingame, I love Gray and Robin's interactions. And the writing overall has been pretty good so far, it took all the good ideas and things that Gaiden had to begin with and really improved on them. Alm and Celica's reuinon and subsequent argument at the end of C.2 is a perfect example, I loved the conflict. I'll see how the story keeps developing, I just started C.3 a little while ago.

36 minutes ago, Lanko said:

I'm baffled the game ends at... Chapter 5? Unless it's like in Radiant Dawn where you had 2-4, 3-8, 3-9, etc.

Each "chapter" consists of several story battles, plus you can battle enemies in dungeons and run into mobs on the continent map as they spawn. I'm in early chapter 3 and have around 18 hours in the game right now. Gaiden was the same...

6 hours ago, Pikappa93 said:

Do we still have to choose between Dean and Sonia to recruit them?

It seems that way, I just got to the point where I need to make the choice and Jesse implies that I have to take one of them down to proceed, just like in the original. I imagine the other might be recruitable in postgame or DLC eventually though, if Awakening and If are any indication.

2 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

It seems that way, I just got to the point where I need to make the choice and Jesse implies that I have to take one of them down to proceed, just like in the original. I imagine the other might be recruitable in postgame or DLC eventually though, if Awakening and If are any indication.

Thanks for the information! I always chose Sonia over Dean in Gaiden. Also looking forward to seeing what DLC stuff is about.

Anyway, can't wait till someone reaches Chapter 6, I'm really curious.

I don't know if I just suck, but the game is actually difficult even on Normal at Chapter 4, albeit I've done minimal grinding. Duma's Tower enemies can be very scary, far more than they were in Gaiden. And it's a pretty long dungeon.

There was someone who got to Chapter 6, and I believe they were playing on Hard too.

bQaHDzL.png

jhDJeqR.png

8 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I don't know if I just suck, but the game is actually difficult even on Normal at Chapter 4, albeit I've done minimal grinding. Duma's Tower enemies can be very scary, far more than they were in Gaiden. And it's a pretty long dungeon.

There was someone who got to Chapter 6, and I believe they were playing on Hard too.

Hide contents

bQaHDzL.png

jhDJeqR.png

Holy crap. This is Normal? So far I've felt like it's been pretty easy but I guess they didn't tone down the need to grind. I was gonna do Chapter 3 and 4 without grinding as much as I did so far, so thanks for the heads up.

17 minutes ago, NaokiP said:

Holy crap. This is Normal? So far I've felt like it's been pretty easy but I guess they didn't tone down the need to grind. I was gonna do Chapter 3 and 4 without grinding as much as I did so far, so thanks for the heads up.

Nah, those pictures I posted from Chapter 6 hard mode supposedly, but it does start to give enemies weapons like Javelins, Brave and Darkness Swords around Duma's Tower with enemies with good stats - and your characters are nowhere near as powerful as the last few games.

It has a build-up in difficulty, as Chapter 1 and 2 in particular are not very difficult at all.

Edited by Tryhard

42 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Hide contents

bQaHDzL.png

jhDJeqR.png

Oh! Very interesting to see the first pictures of Chapter 6. Also...

Spoiler

How does postgame work? Can we still travel in Valentia map, but having both Alm and Celica's parties as a whole army?

2 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Reveal hidden contents

bQaHDzL.png

jhDJeqR.png

Two words: Oy vey...

On 05. 04. 2017. at 6:13 PM, Wolt said:

Looking to find out why Palla Catria and Atlas left my party. I grabbed Atlas, got a skirmish map done and then did the map where you acquire the Dark Sword. All 3 left afterwards to go back to their starting locations. 

My guess is that I wasn't doing what each person wanted in a timely fashion, but I didn't think playing 2 other maps would cause it. Just a minor annoyance I would like confirmed if someone has info on it. 

That just happens if you try going for Mila's temple in the north first before dealing with either Dean or Sofia and then Gies in the eastern desert. It's kind of the game's way of telling you "yeah nah you really should do this first". You can re-recruit them at their respective recruitment places but they'll keep leaving  you if you try going north without clearing the east and rescuing Est.

Seems like there's no limit to supports. Whoever has any supports with others can take them all to A, I think. I love this. Best support system.

18 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Reveal hidden contents

bQaHDzL.png

jhDJeqR.png

That's nice to hear-- normal mode is actually normal mode and not easy mode with a different name.

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. :) Are there any screenshots, sprite models, or other other visuals of Palla's back and side view available yet? Screenshots of her fighting would work too. I adore her new artwork and want to cosplay her, but I can't quite figure out what her pauldrons and back of the breastplate look like.

35 minutes ago, helloard3n said:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, but I'm trying to avoid spoilers. :) Are there any screenshots, sprite models, or other other visuals of Palla's back and side view available yet? Screenshots of her fighting would work too. I adore her new artwork and want to cosplay her, but I can't quite figure out what her pauldrons and back of the breastplate look like.

These are the best I could get! Hope it'll help.

Spoiler

vlcsnap-2017-04-07-23h18m24s286.png.5b397e05315de1fb0f6f30cbef69801d.png

vlcsnap-2017-04-07-23h18m57s435.png.53b8fb7ee97acf927f6ffa9416389c44.png

vlcsnap-2017-04-07-23h19m15s856.png.fc93752895063f37505e8167bebcdc4e.png

vlcsnap-2017-04-07-23h19m25s961.png.435992807f75ecd785c050ae6a61be5a.png

41 minutes ago, helloard3n said:

this image gives a bit of a side view, though it's not much