"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

1 hour ago, Thane said:

Does anyone know when the reviews drop? The 18:th?

Possibly. I know last week when Derrick from GameXplain got the game, he said to "expect a review next week."

Derrick's Fates review came out two days before Fates' release, so it may be the same with Echoes as well.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, nocturnal YL said:

I don't "know" because I haven't completed the game, but while this game doesn't feel too difficult in terms of technical skill, it's more luck-based than the other FE I've seen. Whether the enemy witches warp is triggered randomly, and when they do and happen to warp to your low-spd, low-res members (like Valbar), be prepared to do the 3DS's version of the three-finger salute: L+R+START. (Or use Mila's Turnwheel.)

From what I've heard from other players, witches only attack units at the edges of your formations. Keep low Res units in the middle of your formation and you'll be fine. Mila's Turnwheel also goes a long way in mitigating RNG mishaps.

Can you bring less than 10 units into a dungeon? For example, I want to grind a character, but some other units might get in the way, so can I just bring said character and Alm/Celica or do I have to bring 10?

18 minutes ago, Azz said:

Can you bring less than 10 units into a dungeon? For example, I want to grind a character, but some other units might get in the way, so can I just bring said character and Alm/Celica or do I have to bring 10?

As far as I know, you must bring 10 (if you have 10). But you can use the escape command (bottom-most one IIRC) to make unnecessary units escape the map.

I do that all the time for grinding ^^

20 minutes ago, Azz said:

You can't. For some reason, you can only re-order the ally listing (and indirectly change their positions), but not pick who to enter the battles in the first place.

EDIT: Ninja'd. By the webmaster himself, no less.

Edited by nocturnal YL

12 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

As far as I know, you must bring 10 (if you have 10). But you can use the escape command (bottom-most one IIRC) to make unnecessary units escape the map.

I do that all the time for grinding ^^

12 minutes ago, nocturnal YL said:

You can't. For some reason, you can only re-order the ally listing (and indirectly change their positions), but not pick who to enter the battles in the first place.

EDIT: Ninja'd. By the webmaster himself, no less.

Thank you! :3

looking at some gameplay can each character only hold one item/weapon? i.e. each character doesn't have an inventory just the weapon or item they have equipped. If that is so does that mean that each character thats not a magic user has access to one art in fights?

1 hour ago, Raybrand said:

looking at some gameplay can each character only hold one item/weapon? i.e. each character doesn't have an inventory just the weapon or item they have equipped. If that is so does that mean that each character thats not a magic user has access to one art in fights?

Yes, one item for each character.

Weapons have varying amounts of Arts. E.g.: The Darkness and Blessed Sword have none (though, they do have passives) but the Regal Sword has 3.

I have a few questions regarding the Clerics' and Mages' casting magic from HP.

1. First off, can a Mage or Cleric accidentally kill themselves by using a spell?

The rest is more scenario-based of the above question which may require testing:

2. If a unit doesn't have enough HP to cast a spell, can they still use it or will it be blacked out? If they can, will it kill them or just reduce them to 1HP or something?

3. If a unit is fast enough to double but only has enough HP to cast the spell once, do they still double or no?

4. Similar to 3, but what happens if the unit enters the battle with enough HP but the enemy counter leaves them with not enough? (Example: the spell requires 3HP but the enemy counter leaves the unit at 2HP before they can cast again.)

I'm just really curious of the properties of this atypical Fire Emblem mechanic.

On 5/13/2017 at 5:11 AM, VincentASM said:

Reveal hidden contents

Mogall

Mage
Pegasus Knight
Villager
Baron
Sage
Myrmidon
Majin
Balrog
Priestess
Necrodragon
Archer
Gargoyle
Mage
Sniper
Mercenary
White Dragon
Gold Knight
Bonewalker
Soldier
Bow Knight
Cantor
Saint
Knight
Brigand
Arcanist
Falcon Knight
Dread Fighter
Witch
Cavalier
Entombed
Revenant
Cleric
Paladin
Lich

Wait Amiibos they can summon non playable classes?  

Do certain non FE Units summon specific units? Like is the zelda Amiibo more likely to summon Saints?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

1 hour ago, Fastesthe1 said:

I have a few questions regarding the Clerics' and Mages' casting magic from HP.

1. First off, can a Mage or Cleric accidentally kill themselves by using a spell?

The rest is more scenario-based of the above question which may require testing:

2. If a unit doesn't have enough HP to cast a spell, can they still use it or will it be blacked out? If they can, will it kill them or just reduce them to 1HP or something?

3. If a unit is fast enough to double but only has enough HP to cast the spell once, do they still double or no?

4. Similar to 3, but what happens if the unit enters the battle with enough HP but the enemy counter leaves them with not enough? (Example: the spell requires 3HP but the enemy counter leaves the unit at 2HP before they can cast again.)

I'm just really curious of the properties of this atypical Fire Emblem mechanic.

1. No.
2. I don't know if it's blacked out or not, but they can't use it.
3. They cast the spell once.
4. They don't cast it.

1 hour ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

1. If a female mage / priestess is reclassed to a cleric, does she keep the spells she had learned as a mage?

2. What advantages do priestesses have over Sages aside from Sword access?

1. No.
2. Priestess has 2 more base speed than a Sage. That's about it.

33 minutes ago, Konnor97 said:

1. No.
2. I don't know if it's blacked out or not, but they can't use it.
3. They cast the spell once.
4. They don't cast it.

I'll admit the rest was because I didn't know the answer to the first one. ^^' But thanks! :D

4 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Wait Amiibos they can summon non playable classes?  

Do certain non FE Units summon specific units? Like is the zelda Amiibo more likely to summon Saints?

No idea, I'm afraid as I don't have any amiibo to use.

There is something about even and odd numbers, so maybe the game pulls from list A during even-numbered summons and B during odd-numbered summons? Would need somebody to test though or maybe I can wait till the weekend to borrow some amiibo.

Are the dungeons infinite like in Gaiden? I really want to use Forsyth and Python in HM but I know those two are garbo at base, at least in Gaiden, so unless I can grind them up at the Deliverance HQ it will be a struggle to use them in the upcoming maps. 

8 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Are the dungeons infinite like in Gaiden? I really want to use Forsyth and Python in HM but I know those two are garbo at base, at least in Gaiden, so unless I can grind them up at the Deliverance HQ it will be a struggle to use them in the upcoming maps. 

Yeah they are so grind to your hearts content.

Just be careful of the rare yellow-glowing monsters when you keep revisiting dungeons. I don't think they're that much stronger than your party, but it's something to keep in mind.

I will say I got freaked out when I saw a Dracul behind the boxes in the Thieves' Shrine. And I was at max level, not even at the beginning of the game XD

So, two questions:

1. Is it possible to change the difficulty during the game at all? Like if I start off at hard, decide it's no fun, and want to switch off to the easier mode, or vice versa, can I do that? Or is it like Awakening where you have to start a new game if you want to play on a different difficulty level?

2. Are there any missable quests? I heard one person say that one quest asks you to kill a certain kind of enemy in a certain place, but that kind of enemy stops appearing after a certain point in the story. Are there any others like that? 

1 hour ago, Calico said:

So, two questions:

1. Is it possible to change the difficulty during the game at all? Like if I start off at hard, decide it's no fun, and want to switch off to the easier mode, or vice versa, can I do that? Or is it like Awakening where you have to start a new game if you want to play on a different difficulty level?

2. Are there any missable quests? I heard one person say that one quest asks you to kill a certain kind of enemy in a certain place, but that kind of enemy stops appearing after a certain point in the story. Are there any others like that? 

1. I don't think you can change difficulty mid-way through. Certainly didn't see any options.

2. Yes, but not for the reason you're suggesting.

After a certain point, all monsters will spawn again, so those quests can be done at any time.

The quests that you can miss are timed ones. I think they're the ones involving Alessio the Merchant. I know I missed the Steel Lance quest : /

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

1. I don't think you can change difficulty mid-way through. Certainly didn't see any options.

2. Yes, but not for the reason you're suggesting.

After a certain point, all monsters will spawn again, so those quests can be done at any time.

The quests that you can miss are timed ones. I think they're the ones involving Alessio the Merchant. I know I missed the Steel Lance quest : /

Thanks for answering.

That sucks about the difficulty thing. Guess I'll start out on normal and save hard for any replays.

Just to clarify, what are the time constraints on the Alessio quests? Is it to complete the requests within a certain number of days/turns, or is it to complete them before a certain point in the story?

1 hour ago, Calico said:

Thanks for answering.

That sucks about the difficulty thing. Guess I'll start out on normal and save hard for any replays.

Just to clarify, what are the time constraints on the Alessio quests? Is it to complete the requests within a certain number of days/turns, or is it to complete them before a certain point in the story?

Certain points in the story.

The first one is easy to remember, since he mentions the month (before Chapter 3 begins IIRC). I dunno when the other two end or begin, except the Steel Lance quest expired when I returned during Chapter 6 (when I finally had them...).

How does moving around on the World Map work now? In the original Gaiden, enemy armies could move while you were moving, which would probably cause issues if you could move several ties at once like in Sacred Stones or could easily run all over the place like in Awakening. Now to mention the issue of controlling two armies at once.

Edited by BrightBow

The world map works like Gaiden. You select Alm or Celica first, then move. Choosing the destination and press A like you'd do in Sacred Stones won't work; it'll simply bring up the menu.

Edited by nocturnal YL

Holy crap, I just realised what the Steel Lance quest is for. Apparently the enemies at the Fortress (Chapter 4) get outfitted with the Steel Lances you gave to Alessio. So presumably the quest expires when you reach that battle.

Man, if only more quests had far-reaching (albeit slightly pointless) consequences.