"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, spiderbrush said:

In Fear Shrine, should I take the Blessed Shield or Silver Shield?

I second the notion to take the Blessed Shield. Helped me survive the end game dungeon that you encounter on Alm's side where he has to

battle a bunch of monsters in a gauntlet fashion by himself

Edited by Magician Lugh

So the first, second and fourth deliverance dlc maps all reuse in-game maps: does the clair/mathilda also do this? I don't remember it at all

also is the opening theme really not in the sound test? Seems like an odd omission.

On 6/9/2017 at 6:59 PM, Otorio said:

I don't think you can kill them off before the final battle. If they get defeated in combat before then, they retreat instead of dying.

Based on the classic mode death quotes on the wiki, it sure doesn't sound like they retreat.

I guess I'll reword the question: Has anyone tried going through the game in classic mode with major playable characters dead? (Eg: Lukas, Gray, Tobin, Clive, Mae, Boey, Saber) I'm curious as to how much the game script changes with those characters dead since they tend to talk a lot during story parts.

5 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Based on the classic mode death quotes on the wiki, it sure doesn't sound like they retreat.

They do. I've played through Hard/Classic twice and whenever Saber ate a crit and died, he said something about a rookie mistake and retreating - except in the final battle, where he had a different quote that implied that he actually died. (Obviously, I rewinded time in all instances.)
My guess is that they retreat instead of dying (even on Classic) precisely so that the story scenes don't change. Not like this is a new concept, either. Past FEs have done the same thing on more than one occassion, even before Casual Mode was a thing at all.

18 hours ago, Scarlet said:

They do. I've played through Hard/Classic twice and whenever Saber ate a crit and died, he said something about a rookie mistake and retreating - except in the final battle, where he had a different quote that implied that he actually died. (Obviously, I rewinded time in all instances.)
My guess is that they retreat instead of dying (even on Classic) precisely so that the story scenes don't change. Not like this is a new concept, either. Past FEs have done the same thing on more than one occassion, even before Casual Mode was a thing at all.

Ah, alright then.

17 hours ago, Not_The_NSA said:

Any news when the rest of the free DLC will be released?

Sadly not.

36 minutes ago, Randoman said:

Ah, alright then.

To add to what's already mentioned, story-important characters can die in the Final Battle and afterwards because they don't appear in the story afterwards.

Prior to that, they always "retreat". There is no alternate versions of dialogue where those characters do not exist.

(So if you hacked the game to remove Saber etc. he would still appear in dialogue. The fact he can't die merely serves to prop up the illusion, so to speak.)

In regards to leveling up your units (particularly the villagers like Grey, Tobin, Kilff, and Faye), do you guys think it's worth it to max their levels up to 20, then promote them?

Also...

Spoiler

Does anyone have any tips on getting Desaix's and Jedah's Dracoshields?  Particularly the former where I don't want to kill Slayde.  And do you guys think it's worth the hassle to do this?

4 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Are supports limited? Or can I get them all in one playthrough?

No limitations whatsoever. Support level is maxed at A. Note that on Celica's route, a few characters won't be able to hit A until Act 3 is completed. I haven't read the supports, but I think it's due to a reveal at the end of Act 3 Celica.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No limitations whatsoever. Support level is maxed at A. Note that on Celica's route, a few characters won't be able to hit A until Act 3 is completed. I haven't read the supports, but I think it's due to a reveal at the end of Act 3 Celica.

A lot of supports are locked behind being in specific acts on both sides. Alm can't reach B with Clair or Faye until Act 3 and then A rank at Act 4. Lukas & Clive's C & B are both possible in Act 1, but have to wait until 4 to finish off. I dont think many supports reference specifics in the plot, its more just to show time has passed. That's especially clear in Gray/Clair

Also to be technical you can't get every support. The decision in celica act 3 means you either get jesse's second support or genny's only support.

21 hours ago, Dark Paladin X said:

In regards to leveling up your units (particularly the villagers like Grey, Tobin, Kilff, and Faye), do you guys think it's worth it to max their levels up to 20, then promote them?

For the male villagers and anyone who starts out as a mercenary or myrmidon, that's a definite no. If you're going to powerlevel your units, you might as well just send those down the mercenary line, as dreadfighters can change back to villagers and then pick whatever other class they like, so always promote them as soon as possible until you send them down a different class path.

For anyone who can't do the mercenary loop, leveling them to 20 before each promotion will still achieve the best results in terms of raw stats, just like in any other Fire Emblem game, although actually doing so takes forever and is overkill if you don't plan to use them in the postgame dungeon. If you just want an easy time during the story, without excessive grinding, it's probably better to promote somewhere around Lv10-15 (depending on when your Exp gain starts to drop off too much).

21 hours ago, Dark Paladin X said:

Also...

Hide contents

Does anyone have any tips on getting Desaix's and Jedah's Dracoshields?  Particularly the former where I don't want to kill Slayde.  And do you guys think it's worth the hassle to do this?

Spoiler

There's little you can do to overcome Desaix' Def/Res without insane amounts of grinding, so it basically amounts to killing him via a death of thousand cuts. Anyone who can attack from a range will be an immense help.
To distract Slayde, you'll want to lure him towards the right, and you'll want to damage, but not kill him. Once he's taken enough damage to trigger his Retreat AI, you can just alternate between blocking and unblocking the shortest route to the supply spots to make him run back and forth without ever getting anywhere.

For Jedah, Leon and whoever has the mage ring can safely waste his invincibility charges without risking a counterattack. Then just stomp him with Tigerstance or something (a crit should definitely kill him). Even if you don't oneshot him, a second Tigerstance should finish him off well before he takes his leave.

When reclassing, say, Cleric Tree Faye back into villager, and then into Mage tree, does she keep her spells that she learned as a Cleric? She's the only one who can learn Freeze on Alm's side, but also the only one who can learn Anew at all, so... 

On 6/16/2017 at 10:30 PM, Dark Paladin X said:

Hide contents

Check out this video for Desaix's dracoshield:

Regarding the quest where the NPC asks for an axe, does it change anything if you give him a Devil Axe rather than a Splitting Axe?

Also, I just want to confirm: you can only get 2 Devil Axes and 1 Splitting Axe in an Echoes file, right? Or is it possible to get more Devil Axes as rare enemy drops?

11 hours ago, Glorie said:

When reclassing, say, Cleric Tree Faye back into villager, and then into Mage tree, does she keep her spells that she learned as a Cleric? She's the only one who can learn Freeze on Alm's side, but also the only one who can learn Anew at all, so... 

From what I heard, they do not keep the spells.

25 minutes ago, Not_The_NSA said:

Any indication there is a Wave 2 DLC for Echoes? Hoping for more supports and infinite Pitchfork DLC.

I think that's it for the DLC.  The Season's Pass is meant to access all of the DLC.  If there was a 2nd wave of DLC, a lot of people are gonna be pissed off about it.

6 hours ago, Randoman said:

Regarding the quest where the NPC asks for an axe, does it change anything if you give him a Devil Axe rather than a Splitting Axe?

Also, I just want to confirm: you can only get 2 Devil Axes and 1 Splitting Axe in an Echoes file, right? Or is it possible to get more Devil Axes as rare enemy drops?

Nope, nothing changes. I guess he's pretty lucky, haha.

Splitting Axes are common drops in Astral Temple/Inner Sanctum. Devil Axes are rare/uncommon drops there.

Spoiler

Is there anyway to beat Jedah?  I'm in what I think is the final level against Duma where Celica and Alm's armies are first merged.  Attacking Jedah didn't do anything so I moved my army around him but doing so took a lot of time and doesn't give me a lot of room to move my units where I want them so I can properly fight Duma.  Is there a way to kill Jedah or do I just have to avoid him? 

17 minutes ago, Anime27Arts said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Is there anyway to beat Jedah?  I'm in what I think is the final level against Duma where Celica and Alm's armies are first merged.  Attacking Jedah didn't do anything so I moved my army around him but doing so took a lot of time and doesn't give me a lot of room to move my units where I want them so I can properly fight Duma.  Is there a way to kill Jedah or do I just have to avoid him? 

He is vulnerable during every fourth round of combat.

2 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:
  Hide contents

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I feel like I need to clarify this because the "fourth round of combat" actually confused me when I tried it.  What it means is that Jedah is vulnerable to every fourth attacker.

So if, for example, Tobin, Faye, Gray, and Kliff all attacked Jedah in that order, only Kliff will be able to hit him.  The cycle then repeats should Jedah survive.

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

35 minutes ago, Fastesthe1 said:

I feel like I need to clarify this because the "fourth round of combat" actually confused me when I tried it.  What it means is that Jedah is vulnerable to every fourth attacker.

So if, for example, Tobin, Faye, Gray, and Kliff all attacked Jedah in that order, only Kliff will be able to hit him.  The cycle then repeats should Jedah survive.

Okay thank you! I thought it meant every fourth turn and was getting extremely frustrated. 

8 hours ago, Anime27Arts said:

Okay thank you! I thought it meant every fourth turn and was getting extremely frustrated. 

It was every fourth turn in the original gaiden so for a while it confused me too.

Then I attacked on the 4th turn and nothing happened so I just threw a bunch of units at him cuz why not, I have the turnwheel, and figured it out from there.

Edited by Utzu