Character Endings

Hello everyone.

Unmarked spoilers ahead! We'll be discussing the character endings here, so please turn back now if you don't want to know anything about them.

So I've got to be honest, while Shadows of Valentia looks like it's going to deliver on most levels, I'm disappointed in the character endings. A lot of them are very similar with a few of them being literally word for word to what they were in Gaiden. These endings also don't change depending on the supports gained throughout the game, though a few change depending on which characters survive the main story.

Now I'm not saying I want everyone to be able to hook up with everyone as if we were playing Mass Effect here, and I've got nothing against canon pairings, but the fact that I can't alter the destiny of a character, as dramatic as that sounds, has me slightly miffed. Faye, for example, has a pretty shitty ending no matter what you do, and that bugs me.

Again, it's not a dealbreaker or anything, but I find it pretty boring. What do you guys think?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'm glad I'm not the only one dissapointed with the endings. Second off, I wish they were a bit....how do I word this....less depressing. I mean seriously, some of these endings, if you do something wrong (let x person die) you feel like a f***ing douchebag and that haunts people like me. I like how people react to their friends dying, but oh my gosh some of these endings are dark.

I agree. While we got new endings, like a lot of people get affected if Clive dies. But a lot of them are really depressing, and I'm like why? Like Faye's ending is atrocious much like her Alm supports. At least Corelia got over Chrom.

This is possibly the only thing, alongside Faye, that has disappointed me or has not met expectations.

Just now, Azz said:

I agree. While we got new endings, like a lot of people get affected if Clive dies. But a lot of them are really depressing, and I'm like why? Like Faye's ending is atrocious much like her Alm supports. At least Corelia got over Chrom.

This is possibly the only thing, alongside Faye, that has disappointed me or has not met expectations.

I think it's almost impressive how the most pessimistic view of Faye's inclusions seems to have been right; she's effectively there to give Alm's team another female character and that's it. Her support with Alm was just...bad. Like, not tragic, sad, bittersweet or whatever it could've been, just bad. 

At least this'll take some heat off Cordelia, like Nohrrin did Micaiah.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I think it's almost impressive how the most pessimistic view of Faye's inclusions seems to have been right; she's effectively there to give Alm's team another female character and that's it. Her support with Alm was just...bad. Like, not tragic, sad, bittersweet or whatever it could've been, just bad. 

At least this'll take some heat off Cordelia, like Nohrrin did Micaiah.

I half hope 8-4 would look at this, say, "Oh Naga, what is this crap?" And bless us with different endings/supports but I doubt it because it's so close to release and they're not THAT kind to us.

I actually don't mind the endings remained as-is, for the most part.

In a way, I actually like most can be depressing. It's thematic with the Archanean ones, since also those didn't exactly had a parade of happy endings either. I suppose I just like it when the big picture is bittersweet, sometimes. Makes it a bit more realistic, or so.

1 minute ago, escotanner said:

I half hope 8-4 would look at this, say, "Oh Naga, what is this crap?" And bless us with different endings/supports but I doubt it because it's so close to release and they're not THAT kind to us.

Pretty sure no one dares to change the original dialogue of a Fire Emblem game right now after the whole Fates localization debacle. Wouldn't surprise me if some of the dialogue even gets more robotic or wooden as a result, but that's being too pessimistic for nothing - like I said, the game seems like it's going to be great.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I actually don't mind the endings remained as-is, for the most part.

In a way, I actually like most can be depressing. It's thematic with the Archanean ones, since also those didn't exactly had a parade of happy endings either. I suppose I just like it when the big picture is bittersweet, sometimes. Makes it a bit more realistic, or so.

I don't mind some of them being depressing, I just dislike not being able to have a hand in making it so other than to kill off my own units. Faye's ending in particular leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I don't mind some of them being depressing, I just dislike not being able to have a hand in making it so other than to kill off my own units. Faye's ending in particular leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

You mean not making the depressing one the default? Eh, not sure on that idea.

I'm pretty okay with the endings. War kind of messes people up, and Valentia especially has a lot of the undead and the spooky scaries. I don't think any of us could come out of that as well as half the cast does, even as "victors".

I'm glad endings are limited too, because it says a lot about the character and their personality. If people really wanted to change endings and such so bad, they should have also hoped for no supports at all because then they can mold the characters / endings to anything they liked. I get upset when people clamor for these things, and then just bitch about being disappointed when we get what we ask for.

I like a lot of them-- yeah, they tend to be dark and bittersweet at best, but honestly everything Echoes seems to be going for is painting how "this is war". There's no decidedly "good" or "bad" faction and people suffer. No 2nd gen, minimal fanservice, and other stuff make it feel refreshing.

Though yeah, some of them being word-for-word from Gaiden does feel too faithful. Hopefully 8-4 can pull out some of that Shadow Dragon spice that everybody really likes.

I think some of the endings should have been a bit diffferent. Some of them are about the character becoming a knight of Valentia. I like most of them though.

I don't mind some of the optional depressive endings personally. I wonder where Kliff went. Archanea? The Outrealms? (though I wouldn't be surprised if it happened).
At least he came back. 

However Faye's ending is just awful. I guessed that she wouldn't end with Alm becase of Celica and Gaiden's ending but that's just brutal. There was no need for this.
Seriously not even Catria and Cordelia were treated like that.
I haven't read her other supports and the base conversations but now I am wondering why she was even included in the game in the first place. At least Conrad seems to improve the worldbuilding a bit but what about Faye?

I hope that I am wrong and that there are good and interesting things that I haven't seen about her yet.

I... I don't even... the endings, so soon ?
Sweet !

I like most of the endings, the feels ! (Zeke, Zeeeeeeke !) But I gotta admit, Faye's is very harsh and weird. Like, is it the only point of this character ? A bad callback ?

This is what happens when canon is clinged upon a tad.too much. :p
Gotta count the number of Alm/Faye fic, eh.

Edited by B.Leu

Just now, B.Leu said:

I... I don't even... the endings, so soon ?
Sweet !

I like most of the endings, the feels ! (Zeke, Zeeeeeeke !) But I gotta admit, Faye's is very harsh and weird. Like, is it the only point of this character ? A bad callback ?
This is what happens when canon is too clinged upon.too much. :p
Gotta count the number of fic who'll pair those two.

I really dislike Tatiana's ending without Zeke. But other than that its all good.

24 minutes ago, Thunderstar said:

I don't mind some of the optional depressive endings personally. I wonder where Kliff went. Archanea? The Outrealms? (though I wouldn't be surprised if it happened).
At least he came back. 

There's already a thread on r/fireemblem discussing Cliff's ending.

The head theory there is he went to Archanea and got with Linde (because Aura male + Aura female and Linde's FE12 endings says she moved on) but personally I like to think he went to a different continent and took in an orphan as his son. If he went to Archanea I doubt his history would be so vague, and then there's the question of where the child's mother went. The world may never know.

I kinda don't like that people are assuming Saber's snuggle buddy to be Genny. It's obviously someone different, as Saber's ending doesn't even include her or give any hint that his wife is Genny. Genny's ending is still a mystery though on who it could be. But it's really weird considering Saber's more than twice her age.

Edited by KongDude88
I just deleted a line I felt was unnecessary.

6 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

I kinda don't like that people are assuming Saber's snuggle buddy to be Genny. It's obviously someone different, as Saber's ending doesn't even include her or give any hint that his wife is Genny. Genny's ending is still a mystery though on who it could be. But it's really weird considering Saber's more than twice her age.

I think people came to that conclusion because the ending states it was with one of her companions (Celica's group), and no other ending but Saber's gives any hint of who it could've been (as Saber's doesn't mention who he married to). It's mostly hint by process of elimination, I'd guess.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think people came to that conclusion because the ending states it was with one of her companions (Celica's group), and no other ending but Saber's gives any hint of who it could've been (as Saber's doesn't mention who he married to).

But I still think it's really far fetched. Genny's end says she fell in love (one-sidedly) with a companion and refuses to tell. Saber's says he gets married and it probably doesn't mention to who because it's not someone we know. Very different endings, and neither mention each other.

I also just realized maybe her supports could give us a little more details on this, possibly with Boey which would be more reasonable (even though he marries Mae in the end).

3 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

But I still think it's really far fetched. Genny's end says she fell in love (one-sidedly) with a companion and refuses to tell. Saber's says he gets married and it probably doesn't mention to who because it's not someone we know. Very different endings, and neither mention each other.

I also just realized maybe her supports could give us a little more details on this, possibly with Boey which would be more reasonable (even though he marries Mae in the end).

Wouldn't say it's stated to be one-sided. Still, until more conrete info comes out of it (a bit of a shame, since this remake has changed/added stuff to other endings compared to the original game), I would probably think it may still be Saber. Ah well...

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wouldn't say it's stated to be one-sided. Still, until more conrete info comes out of it (a bit of a shame, since this remake has changed/added stuff to other endings compared to the original game), I would probably think it may still be Saber. Ah well...

While the one she fell in love could be anyone, I say it's one-sided because only she's aware of her feelings. I really hope her supports will give us a little more.

12 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

There was a translation of the line that Saber says when one of the allies dies near him (referencing a "little lady" iirc, but I can't find it now), and while it hasn't been confirmed that it's Genny yet, would kind of make it a bit more obvious since it was Saber's only line like that.

Edited by Tryhard

1 hour ago, Tryhard said:

There was a translation of the line that Saber says when one of the allies dies near him (referencing a "little lady" iirc, but I can't find it now), and while it hasn't been confirmed that it's Genny yet, would kind of make it a bit more obvious since it was Saber's only line like that.

Huh, haven't heard of that. That's a thing they added? When an ally dies, someone nearby will speak? That's interesting. (Sorry if this sounds sarcastic or anything)

1 hour ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I'm pretty okay with the endings. War kind of messes people up, and Valentia especially has a lot of the undead and the spooky scaries. I don't think any of us could come out of that as well as half the cast does, even as "victors".

I'm glad endings are limited too, because it says a lot about the character and their personality. If people really wanted to change endings and such so bad, they should have also hoped for no supports at all because then they can mold the characters / endings to anything they liked. I get upset when people clamor for these things, and then just bitch about being disappointed when we get what we ask for.

Exactly. II can't stand these whiners

Yeah, my main complaint is Faye and Conrad and that's just based on endings and what I've seen of the supports. Hopefully there are good pre-chapter, village and base conversations involving them.

Faye's story could be helped immensely by just a conversation between her and Claire. As it stands their epilogues are basically a complement so hearing both characters weigh in on exactly why, when confronted with the same issue, they each made different decisions would be great.