Character Endings

On 4/4/2017 at 10:01 PM, hinode said:

What struck me about Faye's ending is that she's the only one of the villagers to go back to Ram in the end, whereas Kliff travelled the world while Grey and Tobin become knights in the unified Valentian army. It gives me the sense that they (much like Alm) grew up and matured over the course of the war, while Faye remained the same, clinging to her childhood life.

This ties into what happened in her A support with Alm; what he explicitly rejected there was going back to the village, saying he had things he wanted to do in the outside world. Faye reacted to this by acting like returning to her old village was even more important to her than staying alongside Alm, even at a point where she presumably isn't aware that he's destined to unify the continent or marry a way prettier childhood friend whom he had been consistently more attached to as a young kid.

This makes Faye a thematic contrast not only to Alm but to the other three villagers he grew up with. Her ending is sad, yes, but it does make sense given her unwillingness to grow up when everyone else in her circle of childhood friends did. If she's going to cling so tightly to her hometown at all costs, it makes sense that she would have trouble giving up on her childhood crush who's gone on to much bigger and better things.

Thank you. I was about to type something less descriptive but along the same lines.
You probably can't change Faye's ending because she is unwilling to change herself, this happens to many people. Depressing or not it seems like she's bound for this course...
Also the sort of setting this game derives from is inherently tragic (greece/roman vibes)
Ever have the pleasure of reading about Hercules? yeah not a very pleasant ending for that guy..

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/5/2017 at 2:11 AM, SlipperySlippy said:

Honestly, I completely disagree with a lot of the notions behind peoples disappointment towards Faye's ending.

Not to be rude, but I'm not sure what people expected. Faye, similar to Celica, was Alm's childhood friend and developed feelings for him at a very young age. Unlike Celica however, she continued to grow up into adolescence with him, forging various memories and that whole time, continuing to keep holding onto those feelings. Unlike Catria and Cordelia, Faye has much more reason to be in love with Alm. If she can't get over her unrequited feelings towards Alm, which let's be real here, is a very common occurrence, even in real life, of course she'll remain unhappy as her life progresses. The only way she'll be happy is if she develops feelings for someone else or move on from her current feelings, but honestly without any social support or psychological help, she wouldn't be able to make that step. 

It sucks, it's sad, but it's the reality for her. She's not going to suddenly drop her feelings she held onto for years just because Alm doesn't love her, she needs time and support to heal. It was inevitable she'd be unhappy like that. 

Frankly, it makes much more sense than Gray becoming an alcoholic because his best friend died since he still has a chick he loves and close friendships in Cliff/Alm/Faye at least.

^

12 hours ago, Thunderstar said:

Interesting though honestly if he got a kid with Linde, the ending would have probably mentionned him returning with his wife (except if she died of course) and I guess that if the continent is supposed to be Archanea we would have probably gotten more information as well.

I hope these other supports and convos do her justice.

She's mean to Silque in their support who just wants to be friends.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:01 PM, hinode said:

What struck me about Faye's ending is that she's the only one of the villagers to go back to Ram in the end, whereas Kliff travelled the world while Grey and Tobin become knights in the unified Valentian army. It gives me the sense that they (much like Alm) grew up and matured over the course of the war, while Faye remained the same, clinging to her childhood life.

This ties into what happened in her A support with Alm; what he explicitly rejected there was going back to the village, saying he had things he wanted to do in the outside world. Faye reacted to this by acting like returning to her old village was even more important to her than staying alongside Alm, even at a point where she presumably isn't aware that he's destined to unify the continent or marry a way prettier childhood friend whom he had been consistently more attached to as a young kid.

This makes Faye a thematic contrast not only to Alm but to the other three villagers he grew up with. Her ending is sad, yes, but it does make sense given her unwillingness to grow up when everyone else in her circle of childhood friends did. If she's going to cling so tightly to her hometown at all costs, it makes sense that she would have trouble giving up on her childhood crush who's gone on to much bigger and better things.

That's deep....

Well, the only thing that can cure Faye's ending is a doujin. But jokes aside, she was probably rushed. Hoping it's not the same for Berkut and his fiancee.

Who here thinks the next fire emblem may be either a another remake of a past fe or a sequel to echoes, perhaps one to both new mystery and echoes, which could deal with Grima, because the secret boss of echoes reminded me of Xemnas in Kingdom Hearts remix who ended up being the antagonist of kingdom hearts 2

Edited by silveraura25

1 hour ago, silveraura25 said:

Well, the only thing that can cure Faye's ending is a doujin. But jokes aside, she was probably rushed. Hoping it's not the same for Berkut and his fiancee.

Who here thinks the next fire emblem may be either a another remake of a past fe or a sequel to echoes, perhaps one to both new mystery and echoes, which could deal with Grima, because the secret boss of echoes reminded me of Xemnas in Kingdom Hearts remix who ended up being the antagonist of kingdom hearts 2

I'm pretty sure that it'll be an entirely new story.

11 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

I'm pretty sure that it'll be an entirely new story.

Awakening came out in 2012, Fates in 2015, switch title for 2018. Yep, new story. I want the new lord to wield a bow and have youthful appearance, sorta like Kliff, but more vibrant. Instead of a Avatar who's the center of the plot, they could be just a normal person, who grows alongside the lord. Hopefully not a Chris clone.

Edited by silveraura25

7 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Instead of a Avatar who's the center of the plot, they could be just a normal person, who grows alongside the lord. Hopefully not a Chris clone.

Did people actually hate having a customizable lord? Or was it just that people hated Corrin for his "bad" character?

17 hours ago, silveraura25 said:

Hmmm. That's more of a topic for the FE Switch forum. Regardless, it wouldn't make much sense for Mystery to have a sequel since technically it's a sequel in the first place and I'm not sure why poor Marth needs to go through that ordeal again. 

If anything, a sequel to Gaiden/Echoes may be nice, but by sequel, I mean it takes place on the same continent but explains more of why Valentia became divided. So it would be generations after the events of Gaiden. Personally, since it'll be on the Switch, I would prefer a bigger continent, or maybe, allow for exploration across not only 1 continent, not 2, but maybe 3, since Jugdral is in the same world as both Valentia and Archanea.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:28 AM, Party Moth said:

It's less that her ending is disappointing and more that her entire character thus far seems to solely revolve around Alm.  That, quite frankly, is unrealistic (or rather indicative of a one-note character starting and going nowhere). Considering that she's a brand new character not anchored to prior dialogue or endings, perhaps it's not completely unreasonable to expect an inch of development rather than her stubbornly clinging to one single trait and refusing to develop?

Granted, we haven't seen everything about her yet regarding dialogue. But the deck is not stacked in her favor based on everything we've seen so far in promotional materials and in-game content. I will accept her stubborn refusal to change if she can bother to exert any traits or thoughts outside of "Alm and I should get together and start a family in the village."

Somehow Faye turned out worse than I expected. Below everything Faye stands for (IMO): 

58e7588080bd1_2017-04-0701_48_19.thumb.jpg.cccb40f1c225a94c421e579d0ab876b1.jpg

Yes, Camilla and Tharja, that Alm support is the worst thing ever written by a human. 

I need to practice perspective

Edited by L9999

8 hours ago, L9999 said:

Somehow Faye turned out worse than I expected. Below everything Faye stands for (IMO): 

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, Camilla and Tharja, that Alm support is the worst thing ever written by a human. 

Hahaha! Oh my goodness, that's pretty damn accurate. And also very sad; I had higher hopes for a whole new character, but everything she says seems to be about Alm. Prologue dialogue, when leaving Ram, in her supports, her in-battle dialogue (at least in English). 

12 hours ago, L9999 said:

Hide contents

Wow this is way too accurate

Personally, Faye as a character seems like she is set up to be a foil to Celica. Where Celica is sensitive and empathetic, Faye is aloof and indifferent. Where Celica had her own goals that is different from Alm, Faye's goal is whatever Alm's goal is. Where Celica is willing to argue with Alm when she feels that he is crossing the line, Faye is willing to do whatever to get his attention.

In a way, Alm x Faye's horrible support kinda works because it demonstrates why she is a poor partner for Alm. It's just Faye wanting Alm's attention where Alm simply admires her energy. They have no chemistry whatsoever.

Honestly, if Faye could support another character, I would wish for it to be Tobin so that they both can be stuck in the forever alone club together. 

7 hours ago, TanatatKnight said:

Personally, Faye as a character seems like she is set up to be a foil to Celica. Where Celica is sensitive and empathetic, Faye is aloof and indifferent. Where Celica had her own goals that is different from Alm, Faye's goal is whatever Alm's goal is. Where Celica is willing to argue with Alm when she feels that he is crossing the line, Faye is willing to do whatever to get his attention.

In a way, Alm x Faye's horrible support kinda works because it demonstrates why she is a poor partner for Alm. It's just Faye wanting Alm's attention where Alm simply admires her energy. They have no chemistry whatsoever.

Honestly, if Faye could support another character, I would wish for it to be Tobin so that they both can be stuck in the forever alone club together. 

Well now I'm wondering how they're going to change her for the localization (since that seems to be inevitable quite frankly; as soon as some game bloggers journalists or critics catch wind of this and raise a stint, it's as good as done...). I'm kind of hoping it will be a simple thing like having her decide that she wants her small life and gets over Alm, but promises that she'll be ready to join his side if he needs her in the future. Something that leaves things open to interpretation or with the vague promise that she'll grow after the game and won't just go home to slap laundry against rocks...

On 06/04/2017 at 0:32 AM, Thane said:

My thoughts on Faye's support with Silque:

Hide contents

Dreadful. Silque wants to talk about her since Alm's group has so few women, and Faye's like "I don't need more female friends, I've got Alm." for both C and B, and then she's like "well, I got kind of lonely, and now I want to be your friend" in A. 

On 06/04/2017 at 0:33 PM, GAIDENBRO said:

She's mean to Silque in their support who just wants to be friends.

I have read that support and honestly at this point, the most diappointing thing is that it is poor Silque's only support dialogue. At least she has that memory dialogue with Jesse.

On 07/04/2017 at 11:30 AM, L9999 said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's still a nice art!

When I read her supports, I felt like that she could be a yandere too. She indeed has traits similar to them such as her obvious obssession and her acting cold towards other people who aren't Alm. She reminds me as well of these cute and innocent looking characters that are a bit (or totally) weird and crazy.

It might explain why she doesn't have a support with the other villagers.

Faye seems to be written like a self insert/avatar's lover or love interes except that the "avatar" is Alm.

That's a shame because she has one of the best designs in the game IMO and because she doesn't do much despite being a new character unlike Conrad and the other new characters.

Edited by Thunderstar

On 4/5/2017 at 3:32 PM, Thane said:

My thoughts on Faye's support with Silque:

Hide contents

Dreadful. Silque wants to talk about her since Alm's group has so few women, and Faye's like "I don't need more female friends, I've got Alm." for both C and B, and then she's like "well, I got kind of lonely, and now I want to be your friend" in A. 

Gdi.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:11 AM, SlipperySlippy said:

Frankly, it makes much more sense than Gray becoming an alcoholic because his best friend died since he still has a chick he loves and close friendships in Cliff/Alm/Faye at least.

I don't know how someone would be more depressed about somebody the have a crush on not liking them back then somebody you considered to be your best friend dying. One is somebody you have feelings for not feeling the same, the other is losing somebody you care deeply about forever. Unless you are a child I'd imagine you'd get over it eventually rather than let it rot your life away, meanwhile losing your best friend isn't that much better than losing a lover if you are close enough.

Not to mention many/all of the characters end up perfectly fine if you don't kill off someone they care about, why does Faye have to have an ending like that?

On 4/5/2017 at 5:46 PM, dap005 said:

I think the main worry is that Faye's whole character just becomes 'She likes Alm' where her entire personality and dialogue revolves around her crush bubble.

But then again we haven't seen ever line Faye speaks yet so I'm still hoping that we get more from this new character.

I mean even Catria has quite a bit more to her character than just crush on Marth (she has a personality descriptor for one, which Faye lacks in her intro on the official site). Like her base convos in fe12 made me like the character due to her admirations for her sisters whilst being so harsh on herself for being the middle kid without anything special (which she learns otherwise ofc). 

Is just that we know very little of Faye beside this one trope of hers right now, hence the negativity. I still think is too early to say though since apparently there's a lot more dialogue outside supports for most characters. And unrequited love can be a great part of a character arc, if it's not the sole arc.

This too. Same goes for Cordelia. It would have been much better if she at least actually had a character besides being cute and being obsessed with Alm. She comes off more like Tharja than Cordelia or Catria. Even in Heroes all she seems to want to do is talk about Alm.

And after the earlier confirmation that her support with Silque sucks too I don't have much faith that she is going to get any dialogue that is actually worthwhile.

Edit: Oh look somebody already made some Tharja/Camilla/Faye fusion art. Unfortunately I can't say it isn't appropriate. And creepy.

The worst part is even Tharja and Camilla have more character than Faye.

Edited by ZoeTrent

19 minutes ago, ZoeTrent said:

I don't know how someone would be more depressed about somebody the have a crush on not liking them back then somebody you considered to be your best friend dying. One is somebody you have feelings for not feeling the same, the other is losing somebody you care deeply about forever. Unless you are a child I'd imagine you'd get over it eventually rather than let it rot your life away, meanwhile losing your best friend isn't that much better than losing a lover if you are close enough.

Personally, their friendship should be brought into question when Gray decides to go out with the chick his best friend supposedly likes. Not a very good friend, really. And to call someone childish for being depressed over the love of their life leaving them is extremely self-centred. Depression is not something easily gotten over, some people never get over it. To label someone as childish is very insulting for people who have these personal struggles in real life, whether they're depressed for more or even less. 

6 minutes ago, SlipperySlippy said:

Personally, their friendship should be brought into question when Gray decides to go out with the chick his best friend supposedly likes. Not a very good friend, really. And to call someone childish for being depressed over the love of their life leaving them is extremely self-centred. Depression is not something easily gotten over, some people never get over it. To label someone as childish is very insulting for people who have these personal struggles in real life, whether they're depressed for more or even less. 

Hey, all's fair in love and war. I haven't seen anything that implies they aren't both fine with it.

And you're right. Sincerely sorry about that. I let my disappointment over a video game of all things get the best of me, but that was wrong of me. I take back what I said.

I still it is upsetting and unnecessary that Faye has nothing to her character besides being obsessed with Alm, and doesn't have a better alternative ending when may others do. They wasted a perfectly good design and character. Sucks that I like her look so much.

Edited by ZoeTrent

19 minutes ago, ZoeTrent said:

Hey, all's fair in love and war. I haven't seen anything that implies they aren't both fine with it.

And you're right. Sincerely sorry about that. I let my disappointment over a video game of all things get the best of me, but that was wrong of me. I take back what I said.

I still it is upsetting and unnecessary that Faye has nothing to her character besides being obsessed with Alm, and doesn't have a better alternative ending when may others do. They wasted a perfectly good design and character. Sucks that I like her look so much.

That's understandable. Faye's design was really nice, so she is wasted potential. I feel like it's partially due to the 'unrequited romance' character being overdone, as well as poor writing in regards to her character. We don't have the full context on her right now due to the lack of translations from story scenes and base conversations, but I think I'm going to keep 'em low since they created her to get knocked down from the very start. I don't mind that she ends up depressed, I feel like her reasoning for being depressed are understandable and she doesn't seem to get much support after the war (no one else returned back to the village), but it does suck we can't transition that or see more of her character on a deeper level. 

30 minutes ago, Thane said:

Does anyone want to read one of Faye's base conversations? 'Cause here is one: http://imgur.com/a/X6Igc

I wonder how much time it'll take for someone to do a YandereFaye fic, with shitton of gore, blood, manipulation and other happy things..

Then again, we didn't have much of this sort of things with Camilla or Tharja, but Faye can't have her man no matter what, so maybe that'll change.

Seriously this dialogue is halway between creepy and stupid.

3 hours ago, Thane said:

Does anyone want to read one of Faye's base conversations? 'Cause here is one: http://imgur.com/a/X6Igc

Oh, goodness, that's just... unfortunate, if I want to be nice about it. Faye, I think you need some help. Maybe because it's a literal translation it sounds more... offensive, I guess?

Maybe once she's been localized she'll sound less creepy. I mean, her Heroes dialogue is still 'Alm, Alm, Alm' but at least she's not too strange about it.

8-4 changed Gregor and Henry a lot, and since they're doing this game too, maybe they'll change Faye for the better.

Notice how I'm saying maybe a lot. You can tell how much hope I have in this.