Do you guys think we could get a Genealogy of the Holy War remake after the Upcoming FE Switch title?

Your thoughts about the Genealogy of the Holy War remake should be at?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you guys think of the Genealogy of the Holy War remake be after the upcoming Switch title?

• I totally think so?
    • It might going to be after the next one after the upcoming Switch title?
    • I have no clue about that?
  2. 2. Do you guys think the Genealogy of the Holy War remake should be on the Nintendo Switch also?

• I totally think it should on the Nintendo Switch console?
    • I think it should be on a different system incase if the Thracia 776 remake makes it in the same system as the Genealogy of the Holy War remake?
    • I have no clue about that?

Since there are three Fire Emblem games got remakes that are Shadow Dragon, New Mystery of the Emblem, and the upcoming Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I think the next one that we might get a remake next is Genealogy of the Holy War and the next one after Genealogy of the Holy will be Thracia 776 since it's a mid equal to Genealogy of the Holy War, but since there is going to be a new upcoming Switch title that is going to be brand new story, do you guys think that Intelligence System will might make a Genealogy of the Holy War remake sometime after the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title that gets released in 2018 or do you guys think it will might going to be later than that?

I definitely think (and hope) that we'll get a compilation FE4/5 remake, hopefully on the Switch to take advantage of all the new and fancy hardware to give us the full animated cutscenes and awesometastic battle animations that I've always wanted and that we deserve. The infinitely increased space means that all the stuff that was in supplement to the games themselves could be in the main game.

Though just like with Echoes, I'll know the entirety of the main story beforehand...unless they changed things up with the Jugdral remake like they're doing with the Gaiden one. One thing I can see them adding is backstory/explanation for the Deadlords and all that stuff, since (don't open spoiler if you don't want to know about datamined info from Echoes)

Spoiler

we're getting backstory on Grima in Echoes, with Alm and company traveling to Archanea in chapter 6 and meeting the dude responsible for his creation.

I don't think it's happening.  Leaks will ensue, like a few days ago, and the chances of IS recognizing how much the "Kaga" unlocalized games are loved is slim at best.  I'm not putting stock into it.

If Echoes does well I think that IS will do remakes.  I really want all the Japan only FEs to be released in the west so I really hope that Echoes does well.   I preordered the LE and the Amiibos because I want to support the Echoes remake in the hopes that IS will see that they will make money off remakes and that they should do them for western gamers.

I definitely think it will be the next one. However, I'm not totally sure it will still be for the switch, I guess it depends on how long the switch will be the last nintendo console.

I'm hoping they'll use the opportunity to expand on FE4, maybe adding the 3rd part that was planned or incorporating FE5 all in the same game (though that would make for a really long game)

I think it will be the next Echos remake, assuming SoV sells well (or at least decently). The GBA games (at least FE7/8) might be better known internationally, but Genealogy/Thracia have only been played by the more hardcore Western fans. It'd almost be like releasing a brand new game, without having to build a brand new set of characters/story/etc.

I'm pretty sure there would be an all new FE17, after FE SWITCH and before another Remake.

Personally don't really see genealog/thracia in the near future, mostly due to the proposed medeus subplot in Valentia- That kind of feels that FE is heading towards a shared universe and I don't really see how Kaga's VERY separate Judgdral (both in tone and continent) would tie into such plans.

I honestly think a elibe remake is more likely than a genealogly remake, and even that would be... not directly after FE switch..

I think it will depend on the sales of SoV, Warriors and FE16. If they sell well (and SoV is getting a lot of promotion so it likely will), I'm sure Genealogy will be next up. Genealogy has two generations so it's hard to imagine IS passing up on that popular feature.

Edited by NekoKnight

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

I think it will depend on the sales of SoV, Warriors and FE16. If they sell well (and SoV is getting a lot of promotion so it likely will), I'm sure Genealogy will be next up. Genealogy has two generations so it's hard to imagine IS passing up on that popular feature.

What about FE 6?  If heroes is any indication, they seem to be pushing the characters of Binding blade more than FE 4.  Maybe sometime in the future, we'll get a geneology remake or remaster if SoV does well, but I'm not sure it will be as soon as people expect.

9 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

What about FE 6?  If heroes is any indication, they seem to be pushing the characters of Binding blade more than FE 4.  Maybe sometime in he future, we'll get a geneology remake or remaster if SoV does well, but I'm not sure it will be as soon as people expect.

Gaiden didn't have any representation in Heroes and yet it is the next remake. If a game as obscure as Gaiden can get a remake before Elibe , then I think it's a fair guess to say they are doing things in order. (FE3 came before FE2 but FE3 is tied to FE1 so they have that excuse.) If SoV does well, that will be an indicator that a remake without Smash character appeal can make it, and the doorway to Jugdrel will be open. At least, that's how I imagine their thought process.

Personally, I'm not putting any stock in it happening - there just isn't much reason for me to believe it'll happen.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I think releasing FE4 in the west would cause so much controversy that it would get censored beyond recognition and overall ruined. I have no faith in Int Sys after Fates to embark on a project as big and risky as this, unless we can persuade them to ditch localisation entirely and steal the text from existing fan translations.

I think there are a lot of things standing in the way of a Jugdral remake. Firstly Echoes needs to sell well. If it does not then I think we can forget about a Jugdral remake happening any time soon.

If Echoes does sell well I can see them skipping Jugdral and go for the much more marketable Binding Blade next. 

19 hours ago, The_antithesis said:

I think releasing FE4 in the west would cause so much controversy that it would get censored beyond recognition and overall ruined. I have no faith in Int Sys after Fates to embark on a project as big and risky as this, unless we can persuade them to ditch localisation entirely and steal the text from existing fan translations.

This is the greatest challenge with a Localized, Western Rated Geneology Remake.

I'm not familiar with how exactly rating work with the ESRB and other rating systems, but Geneology possesses many mature themes that, while non-graphic, are still very touchy.  So much so that if it were to be translated unlocalized or uncensored, it might need a T15+ or M rating.  Child hunting and Incest didn't stop IS in Fates Revelations (minus the child hunting) however, the incest is more direct and less acceptable than distant cousin incest.  We're talking brother-sister "roofies night in the moonlight" incest. On top of that, the child hunting is prevalent (not like thracia, but still), as well as murderous schemes, dark colts like Loptyr, and even children under the "spell" of the Lopto. 

The dark, yet impactful themes of geneology are incredibly off-putting to some audiences and might even put Nintendo's western brand recognition at risk.  If someone thought that Pokemon Go was trying to take out churches, then Geneology is going to be even worse by those standards.  The problem is that Geneology's themes are so intertwined with the story that changing any of it to fit some audience comfort ruins the story, and takes away a story that was so great and well loved.  Take the themes out/alter them and the story to put the game on shelves with a safe teen rating, or make it an M rating that could possibly jeopardize Nintendo's brand, and further, it's stock.  

The safest bet for anyone is to see how well Echoes does, market a safer, binding blade remake, THEN if both sell well,  they'll try their hand at geneology.  Right now, It's too risky for IS or Nintendo to remake Geneology, despite it's stellar Child Mechanics.

Is Geneology really so riske when we've had fetishized "incest" (to say nothing of the marriagable jailbait characters) and zombies attacking children in Fates? I have no doubt some things will be censored to some degree but I doubt they would let those mature themes stop them from releasing it overseas. 

Honestly I think Genealogy is the safest remake they could do seeing as it shares some mechanics with Awakening & Fates, which is why I'm shocked they went for Gaiden first.

9 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Is Geneology really so riske when we've had fetishized "incest" (to say nothing of the marriagable jailbait characters) and zombies attacking children in Fates? I have no doubt some things will be censored to some degree but I doubt they would let those mature themes stop them from releasing it overseas. 

3 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

I'm not familiar with how exactly rating work with the ESRB and other rating systems, but Geneology possesses many mature themes that, while non-graphic, are still very touchy.  So much so that if it were to be translated unlocalized or uncensored, it might need a T15+ or M rating.

I agree with this sentiment. FE4 being localized during the time of its original release would have been really dodgy, considering Nintendo of America's extremely strict localization and censorship requirements, to the point that it's probably a good thing we never got it. I imagine a vast majority of the plot, including and especially the incest, would have been ironed over and changed had it been localized.

They relaxed considerably, though, and nowadays I really don't see anything that NoA would object to being in the western version if a remake was made. At the very most, they might age up a few of the younger characters like Sylvia, or pull the "technically adult" thing they did with Elise, but that's hardly deal-breaking. We already had the Grimleal, which NoA was fine with localizing with all of their nihilistic and violent schemes in a T rated game.

Really, I don't think Genealogy does much to deserve an M rating. You have dark and mature themes, but even in the original game they're not much focused on or developed. You have the half-sibling incest as the most prominent factor, the child hunts are never seen on-screen, it's not like they're gratuitous violence or heavy language or anything. I mean, stuff like Twilight Princess had dark themes and on-screen violence (including people being stabbed and a neck-snapping scene), and even that got rated T.

RE: Censorship

I think it is silly to see this as a factor in 2017- In 1996, sure, it would never have been localized. It was hard enough to get a cross or an Islamic chant in a video game, let alone childbearing.

I would say that, serious self- censorship stopped in 2005 with RE4 (Conker's bad fur day and RE2 had been released on prior nintendo consoles among other things, but nowhere near the marketing muscle/ and were further pseduo hidden because console was already practically off the market). 2005 might seem early, but I think 2007's Madworld and No More Heroes can be accepted even from a conservative standpoint as an end of Nintendo's willingness to at least publish visceral content.

Shouldn't even need to point out that you can play Call of Duty, Tom Clancy, and Assasin's Creed on Wii U and presumably switch will support all three albeit probbably in the same low key way.. lol controller

Is Genealogy even more adult than Mother 2?  There is the "Mother 2" makes itself kid friendly with pop culture/cartoon graphics argument. But technically you could argue that 1996 genealogly made itself unserious with its anime aesthetic- which, YES, it did have for its time-  Evil is punished> Status Quo maintained. RPGs have always been able to put far more "adullt" scenes in text only form. Planetscape: Torment qualifies as T. Think about that. Genealogy would assuredly not warrant an M if re-released today even on modern consoles. Loptre cult "control" of children is far too much of a stretch to have a psychosexual connotation- it's clearly simply going for the classical "enchanter" of arch typical fantasy- Genealogy is not Jessica Jones. 

I think that marketability is probably a bigger factor- They don't really have sales figures to support that the fire emblem audience wants such a game. Or the writing staff.