Need help with inserting standing/moving map sprites in FE8

Super-Dude9k

So I'm trying to replace the trainee soldier/fighter sprites with Eliwood/Roy respectively. I have their sprites ripped from their respective games, but I have no clue where to go from here. I went to the trainee fighter's pointers in Nightmare, and replaced the standing sprite with Roy's in GBAGE, but nothing has changed. I've also replaced the trainee soldier's standing sprite with Eliwood's, but again, no dice. Also, if anybody could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to change their names, that would be great.

I found a free space at offset 00B8EE10, and inserted Roy's standing animation there using GBAGE. I checked in HxD to make sure that it had been inserted. Then, I went to Nightmare, and repointed the trainee fighter's standing sprite to 0x8B8EE10. I made sure to change the size from 16x32 to 16x16 as well. Now when I load into the game, it just resets the ROM.

Edited by Super-Dude9k
additional details

Did you insert the graphics as compressed (make sure the check box for compressed is ticked)? Outlining your steps will help us troubleshoot your issues.

As for tutorials, I saw you were looking for an FE8 tutorial, but the process is the same between 7 and 8. This tutorial gives you the run down. Here's the FEU crosspost for posterity.