1 minute ago, Topaz Light said:

And, I don't really think it has to be a "common" or "accepted" name, as long as it sounds namey enough and not too silly for the character and/or series. All names were originally just made up by humans, after all, and it's not like we've passed some deadline that means we have to stop making up new names.

Right, my phrasing was poor. I don't necessarily need to to be common (I mean, most FE names really aren't, and I like and appreciate plenty of those...) but by "accepted" I mean that in a perfect world it would be a name that us westerners wouldn't be confused over or raise an eyebrow at, which is why a lot of the original names are changed in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Topaz Light said:

Lark was the one that had come to mind for me, but it mostly just stems from my desire to try to retain name meanings and themes and such over than aural/visual similarities when names must be changed in localization, unless it's just a made-up name that happens to be close to an existing regular one.

I kind of dig that name.

But in this case I just think it was name recognition. Thousands and thousands of people played Awakening and know about Robin, so a second Robin in this game would be confusing for them. Same deal with the whole Leo and Leon fiasco, which is infinitely amusing. And Kamui is still Kamui because the Kamui we would have gotten was renamed Corrin. Seems like Japan doesn't care nearly as much when there are characters with the same name.

"Tobin" was an alright and easy change imo. It's still pleasing to the eye and fantasy-ish enough.

8 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Right, my phrasing was poor. I don't necessarily need to to be common (I mean, most FE names really aren't, and I like and appreciate plenty of those...) but by "accepted" I mean that in a perfect world it would be a name that us westerners wouldn't be confused over or raise an eyebrow at, which is why a lot of the original names are changed in the first place.

I kind of dig that name.

But in this case I just think it was name recognition. Thousands and thousands of people played Awakening and know about Robin, so a second Robin in this game would be confusing for them. Same deal with the whole Leo and Leon fiasco, which is infinitely amusing. And Kamui is still Kamui because the Kamui we would have gotten was renamed Corrin. Seems like Japan doesn't care nearly as much when there are characters with the same name.

"Tobin" was an alright and easy change imo. It's still pleasing to the eye and fantasy-ish enough.

I don't mind the change to Tobin at all; the name works just fine. It's just a little silly to me that they just changed one letter, like it's Robin's evil twin Tobin or something. I'm not bothered by it at all, hehe~

15 minutes ago, KongDude88 said:

Nintendo has just confirmed that Luthier will be localized as Larry and Delthea will be known as Dorothy.

Hide contents

Please don't take this seriously.

And then they change FE6 Dorothy to Delthea

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

According to @shadowofchaos, Sigurd in Japan is still Sigurd (i.e., the characters used in his name are the same characters used to refer to the mythological figure). Stuff like "Siglud" and "Zigludo" were inexperienced fan translators. I remember that from the localization thread. And as for Leif, I'm not sure if the characters are the same as the ones used in, say, Leif Erikson's name. I imagine it's a similar case, though.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/1/1b/Siglud_TCG_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100711114003 - Huh, it's not Zigludo, but it does seem they at least initially transcribed his name as Siglud in Japan as well. Same with Leif.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/1/1b/Siglud_TCG_1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100711114003 - Huh, it's not Zigludo, but it does seem they at least initially transcribed his name as Siglud in Japan as well. Same with Leif.

Huh. That's weird. I can only wait until @shadowofchaos gets here and sets things straight. Because I'm curious about this now too.

NoJ names have blunders. Look at Awakening for "Sort".

シグルド is the kana for the mythical Sigurd.

I'd imagine Japanese folk not familiar with that would have trouble.

I stay away from this forum. I don't want FE15 spoilers so I'll only show up when you ping me.

Edited by shadowofchaos

30 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I stay away from this forum. I don't want FE15 spoilers so I'll only show up when you ping me.

Eep, thanks for clearing that up! I promise not to draw you into any thread that has spoilers. ^^