Origins of Mila and Duma (unmarked Endgame spoilers)

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

It's been neglected out of human folly, not necessarily built by humans originally. Either that or, more likely, Alm's just misinformed.

Could be another case of historians getting their facts wrong. But this case of alchemy and a Council is rather unique. Like, what Council is it? Before this, I never heard of there being any kind of council. And you don't usually hear something like alchemy being used, but magic.

4 hours ago, RJWalker said:

Grima's 'dragon' face is a helmet of sorts. The etymology of Grima's name also literally means helmet/mask so the english name was chosen with this in mind. The 'skull' that's found in Plegia and seen during Chapter 9 is the same helmet.

There are a lot of etymologies for Grima's name that all seem to fit. 

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

Could be another case of historians getting their facts wrong. But this case of alchemy and a Council is rather unique. Like, what Council is it? Before this, I never heard of there being any kind of council. And you don't usually hear something like alchemy being used, but magic.

There are a lot of etymologies for Grima's name that all seem to fit. 

Doesn't even need to be historians in this place since Alm is basically a foreigner that's just spelunking on his own initiative. His research on it could be very minimal. Though I reckon if it was built to accommodate the rather large dragons then that would be immediately noticeable (I'm guessing all those smaller doorways are just a representation of the area since dragons can evidently fit inside and move around comfortably).

On 6/27/2017 at 6:20 AM, RJWalker said:

Grima's 'dragon' face is a helmet of sorts. The etymology of Grima's name also literally means helmet/mask so the english name was chosen with this in mind. The 'skull' that's found in Plegia and seen during Chapter 9 is the same helmet.

Something just occurred to me about this. The process of creating the Risen is to place a thanatophages into masks and then into corpses so they can become Risen. So how does Grima somehow gain the ability to automatically create the Risen on his own? Maybe the case of the "helmet/mask" is because he's able to automatically create the thanatophages and death masks on his own. 

And something else to consider is that Grima might actually be a cross between dragon and thanatophages. 

14 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Something just occurred to me about this. The process of creating the Risen is to place a thanatophages into masks and then into corpses so they can become Risen. So how does Grima somehow gain the ability to automatically create the Risen on his own? Maybe the case of the "helmet/mask" is because he's able to automatically create the thanatophages and death masks on his own. 

And something else to consider is that Grima might actually be a cross between dragon and thanatophages. 

Another thing is that when we first saw the Risen in Awakening, only the Chiefs had masks, the other just looked like zombies.

1 minute ago, RedRob said:

Another thing is that when we first saw the Risen in Awakening, only the Chiefs had masks, the other just looked like zombies.

Actually, it seems like ALL Risen have Death Masks on them. Just the portrait makes it seem like they have faces still. Need to check it out to be sure, though. But it makes me wonder about a lot of information: 

• Brady mentions that people "turn into Risen" when he's healing them. Does that mean that Death Masks form on them? 
  • Inigo and Kjelle mention friends that have become Risen, the latter actually recognizing Risen in the Drama CD. So does that mean that death masks actually are shaped in the features of the person themselves? Or are the masks forming on them slowly but they are still Risen?

15 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, it seems like ALL Risen have Death Masks on them. Just the portrait makes it seem like they have faces still. Need to check it out to be sure, though. But it makes me wonder about a lot of information: 

• Brady mentions that people "turn into Risen" when he's healing them. Does that mean that Death Masks form on them? 
  • Inigo and Kjelle mention friends that have become Risen, the latter actually recognizing Risen in the Drama CD. So does that mean that death masks actually are shaped in the features of the person themselves? Or are the masks forming on them slowly but they are still Risen?

So I checked, and the Risen in the animated cutscene where they're introduced do have masks, but the game just settles for using generic enemy portraits with glowing red eyes during gameplay for them. So that's consistent with Echoes origins for them. But looking at the wiki page for them, the concept of those bugs and the masks don't show up in situations like Henry using a single Risen arm to create an army of them in a Support. Add that to your examples, and the Death Masks start to seem like a retcon.

5 hours ago, RedRob said:

So I checked, and the Risen in the animated cutscene where they're introduced do have masks, but the game just settles for using generic enemy portraits with glowing red eyes during gameplay for them. So that's consistent with Echoes origins for them. But looking at the wiki page for them, the concept of those bugs and the masks don't show up in situations like Henry using a single Risen arm to create an army of them in a Support. Add that to your examples, and the Death Masks start to seem like a retcon.

Actually, in Henry's case, he doesn't know exactly how Risen are produced. He took that Risen arm to experiment on it for info, ad the magic sigil is to see if he can summon the Risen. He did mention "if it works". Plus, it might not be that he actually creates Risen, but rather summon Risen from another area. The case of summoning things doesn't mean that they are created.