[SPOILERS] Alm is a baka confirmed

[Spoilers, obviously, please turn back now if you're going in blind]

So the Linkmstr stream when the game was released got all the way up to the climactic scene with Alm and Celica on the balcony of Zofia Castle, but I didn't see any discussion of it or anyone mentioning it, really. If you didn't catch it before it was taken down, too bad, or if you're particularly desperate or interested there's a low-quality version below that I couldn't help ripping from the video and uploading myself:

For lack of a better description, it's Alm and Celica's first meeting since childhood, taking place at the end of Chapter 2, and is considerably more emotionally charged than the NES version.

While I couldn't understand most of what they're saying for the life of me (aside from the standard "Alm I'm so glad" etc.) damned if this didn't make my heart melt just a tiny bit. From the way Celica is practically squeaking with joy when she's running up the steps to the way she almost trips with excitement, she is the most adorable thing in this game yet. And then she dives straight into Alm's chest, ruins enough oranges to feed a small village (seriously what are crates of oranges doing on the palace balcony) and the two of them just lie there beneath a stunning sunset.

It's cheesy and indescribably "anime" and damned if it didn't feel satisfying. Special praise to whoever's doing Celica's voice work. You can almost believe that here's a girl who has spent the last few weeks desperately wanting to see this green-haired lad and finally catches up to him, and it all just spills out. Well, that's my take on it, anyway.

Then, as we all know, it goes wrong. Or plot, or something. Leading to this exchange:

Speaking of anime... yeah. Alm is indeed a baka, apparently.

So, those are my thoughts on these particular scenes and what they seem to indicate for story/character development as a theme in this game. It doesn't look like it's going to be especially high-brow, but at the very least it hits the cathartic spots for those of us who were looking forward to seeing these scenes remastered. Also for those who want to to be able to see these scenes before they inevitably disappear into the aether. What do you think?

P.S. I was going to put the BerkutxRinea dancing scene in here too but forgot to do it before all the videos were pulled. Suffice to say I'm now extremely looking forward to killing both of them.

Edited by bugmaniacbob

The oranges were hilarious, hahahaha.

Thanks for uploading this - the way Celica threw herself at Alm was really sweet :') Hopefully there will be more cutscenes of this sort

11 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I just hope Alm still says "That's mean, Celica!" after she implies that he just wants to be a ruler.

this was actually my first thought when I saw the trailer that ended with alm turning around

if alm doesn't say "That's mean, Celica!", I'll be disappointed beyond words

Huh-- they played the part of the late-game map theme that sounds similar to the series' theme during their hug. Considering it's been used elsewhere in the OST, I'd wager the usage of the slightly-off sounding main theme is very intentional and symbolic of the game.

Edited by The DanMan

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Huh-- they played the part of the late-game map theme that sounds similar to the series' theme during their hug. Considering it's been used elsewhere in the OST, I'd wager the usage of the slightly-off sounding main theme is a very intentional representation of the game.

I mean, it IS the third world map theme. They just decided to use it much more

47 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Considering it's been used elsewhere in the OST, I'd wager the usage of the slightly-off sounding main theme is very intentional and symbolic of the game.

It's called a leitmotif

1 hour ago, Agro said:

It's called a leitmotif

2 hours ago, boarbaque said:

I mean, it IS the third world map theme. They just decided to use it much more

I know what it's called-- I just couldn't think of the word at that moment.
I'm probably reading into things too much, but the fact that one of the major recurring leitmotifs is basically a slightly altered version of the series' theme feels representative of Gaiden/SoV as the darkhorse of the franchise.

Celica: "Alm, you're a megalomaniacal ass that's high on ego. You're being ruthless, xenophobic, and an all-around cunt for declaring war on Rigel and further defying the sacred pact between Mila and Duma."

Alm: "Celicaaaaa that's meaaaannnnn, you're a bully,,, I'm telling Gramps on youuuu"

I love Alm but I gotta pick on him at least a little for his lack of a comeback game.

Edited by Wayward Alchemist

4 minutes ago, Wayward Alchemist said:

Celica: "Alm, you're a megalomaniacal ass that's high on ego. You're being ruthless, xenophobic, and an all-around cunt for declaring war on Rigel and further defying the sacred pact between Mila and Duma."

Alm: "Celicaaaaa that's meaaaannnnn, you're a bully,,, I'm telling Gramps on youuuu"

I love Alm but I gotta pick on him at least a little for his lack of a comeback game.

i mean, if we're going by the silly NES translation where he says "What! That's mean, Celica." it's more like

"Alm, do you think we can win without fighting Rigel?"

"nah girl look our your fucking window rudolf's gonna fucking kill us"

"I don't think Rudolf's as bad as everyone says. Sure, he's invaded our country while we're already weakened, but he'll definitely listen to us. 

Or do you like how everyone's treating you like a hero????? are you just doing this so you can be KING, alm????/"

"What! That's mean, Celica. I just want to help our country. plus i heard the princess is still alive so I've gotta find her but i'll go home after that"

"THERE IS NO PRINCESS IDIOT THE ROYAL FAMILY IS FUCKING DEAD. YOU GO TO RIGEL IF YOU WANT BUT WE'RE GOING TO THE TEMPLE TO FIX THINGS WITHOUT PEOPLE DYING BYE"

i'm glad they're making it seem less like celica being an unreasonable asshole and alm ignoring the fact that a ton of people will probably die because of what he and his buddies are doing

Quite the long pause I took from visiting the forum....

Getting back to the topic - Did you know that Celica is secretly Kirisaki Chitoge from Nisekoi and Yuigahama Yui from Oregairu? (not obviously implying that she is voiced by Nao Toyama)

44 minutes ago, unique said:

i mean, if we're going by the silly NES translation where he says "What! That's mean, Celica." it's more like

"I don't think Rudolf's as bad as everyone says. Sure, he's invaded our country while we're already weakened, but he'll definitely listen to us. 

Or do you like how everyone's treating you like a hero????? are you just doing this so you can be KING, alm????/"

"What! That's mean, Celica. I just want to help our country. plus i heard the princess is still alive so I've gotta find her but i'll go home after that"

"THERE IS NO PRINCESS IDIOT THE ROYAL FAMILY IS FUCKING DEAD. YOU GO TO RIGEL IF YOU WANT BUT WE'RE GOING TO THE TEMPLE TO FIX THINGS WITHOUT PEOPLE DYING BYE"

i'm glad they're making it seem less like celica being an unreasonable asshole and alm ignoring the fact that a ton of people will probably die because of what he and his buddies are doing

^ This is way more accurate.

2 hours ago, unique said:

Is this an accurate translation?  I'm getting confused, and I can't read Japanese.

Seems like the two of them are big bakas.

Arumu no murderious glory-seeking baka !
Celica that was mean !

I sorta side with Alm... because it's either that, or he do nothing. Even if he doesn't seem to realize what's wrong.
The crime of not understanding for Alm and acting... and the crime of undestanding for Celica but not acting. Both are idiots it seems.

Or at least, that what it seems like for me, I did not played the game.

8 hours ago, MasashiH said:

Did you know that Celica is secretly Kirisaki Chitoge from Nisekoi and Yuigahama Yui from Oregairu? (not obviously implying that she is voiced by Nao Toyama)

She is also Karen from Kiniro Mosaic and Kongou-class, Atago-class, Shikinami and Ayanami from Kantai Collection. Yes, she voices like 10 different characters in a single game.

1 hour ago, Apox said:

She is also Karen from Kiniro Mosaic and Kongou-class, Atago-class, Shikinami and Ayanami from Kantai Collection. Yes, she voices like 10 different characters in a single game.

Eh, every F!Robin voice and Camilla were all done by the same VA in Japanese. Some people just have that range.

"Royal descent" plays a big role in this conversation too. The aforementioned translation is more or less close to the point, but it didn't really touch on this. I wrote down a couple of lines that stood out as hella sick burns between the two for a friend, so here (I don't really remember the rest at this point hah)

Spoiler

A "What sort of a man the Emperor of Rigel is doesn't matter. The fact stands that Rigel invaded Sofia first."

C "You might be Sir Mycen's grandson, but you're neither a knight nor royalty, Alm!
A "Even you're talking about royalty to me, Celica, like looking down on me. My origin has nothing to do with it. I've made it this far because I made the choice myself.
"It's not that I enjoy fighting and killing, either. The whole reason why this entire conflict happened is Lima IV's [Celica's dad] refusal to send aid to/cooperate with Rigel. All the hardships we've had to endure should be his responsibility."
(He also mentioned something about hearing rumors that the last heir to the Sofian throne still lives, the "princess".)
C "How dare you. How dare you say something like that when you can't even imagine all the responsibility that falls upon royalty!"
"You're a 'hero' now, so I guess you want to be 'king' next!?"
"There is no princess! The Sofian royal bloodline has perished!"

Honestly, this is a clear improvement over the fairly barebones script of Gaiden, and I love that the two's motivations are both justified and fleshed out. You can even feel the fallout of this argument in the respective parties' town conversations - Gray and Robin can't imagine that Alm and Celica could argue like this when they were so close during childhood, and Boey and May are concered about what'll happen if the people of Sofia really push Alm to become king. They're aware of Celica's true identity and can see the mess it might cause.

Also, real talk, the cutscenes look like ASS. I can't believe studio khara dropped the ball like this, especially not after Awakening and If looked so amazing...
Edited by NaokiP

11 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

Is this an accurate translation?  I'm getting confused, and I can't read Japanese.

it was a joke

celica does not actually say "THE ROYAL FAMILY IS FUCKING DEAD"

Edited by unique

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Eh, every F!Robin voice and Camilla were all done by the same VA in Japanese. Some people just have that range.

If you wanna hear Touyama's range, compare any of her "teenage girl" roles to her Kawashima Mizuki role from idolm@ster. The woman's voice is black magic, I tell you.

1 hour ago, NaokiP said:

Also, real talk, the cutscenes look like ASS. I can't believe studio khara dropped the ball like this, especially not after Awakening and If looked so amazing...

It looks like Berserk 2016, static-y low frame animations. It's quite the step down from the fluid cutscenes from If/Fates, Awakening, and even Radiant Dawn/PoR. 

Edited by Indifferent