Backer's Sprites

Backer

Hey there,

I usually lurk around Reddit's Fire Emblem subreddit and do sprite requests, but I'm been running out of stuff to do recently. So I've decided to join here after all the talk I've been hearing about this place.

So here's some custom sprites, old ones to most recent. If you hang around the subreddit, you might have seen these from before.

Obviously, there's still a lot more work to be done and I would appreciate any critique.

ONiTzSY.png

WGlAWRw.png

M21QJsB.png<- Still need to work on the boobies

QNP2Dao.png

qn6EvZC.png

tsrl2xm.png

PBUdpiZ.png<- Sad attempt at a General sprite, I gave up as soon as reached the shoulders.

Edited by Backer

I´m not the best to give critique since I only do splices and never did custom but let´s try it anyway.

Maybe use more of the dark skin shades to give more contrast between the skin and armor/clothing. It´s more noticeable in the first sprite since she wears light clothing.

I don´t have anything else lol, these are quite good. I especially like the cap girl.

Thanks! I'll actually reworking on that sprite right now since it was one my very first custom ones, I will try to use the darker shades more often.

Haven't done much on the hair, I just rounded it out on the left and made it more stylish on the side.

The face has been cleaned up a bit, hopefully it looks better now.

Left is the original, the right is the one I'm reworking on.

ONiTzSY1.png

Edited by Backer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been practicing spriting lately and decided to post something new.

XVQMFjY.png

I'm still working on cleaning the shading a bit, but this is pretty much the final sprite. Any critique would be appreciated as always!

After a quick glance this is much better than your previous ones,love it.

The only detail I´d work on is the shading under the upper half of the bodysuit, that or soften the black line to have less contrast with the lower half. And maybe add some wrinkles or something on the lower half so as not to have a plain gray area. (this is just nitpicking)

Thank you for the critique. The bottom of area is supposed to be skin tight, I tried adding some wrinkles here and there, but it didn't really fit well with what I'm trying to convey. I'm planning to extend this further down once I've gotten more practice. 

I received comments that the upper half clothing was jutting out too much so I've shortened it. Not much was done overall unfortunately. 

ZeGUai5.png

In the mean time, here's a gigantic fluffy head. 

I'm still working on shading the hair and making it smaller overall, but how does the face look currently?

AZOIb1j.png

Edited by Backer

rqBK5md.png

I actually didn't do anything to the shading of the hair, but I made the head smaller a bit. Also finished the rough draft of this. How does this look?

6 minutes ago, Backer said:

rqBK5md.png

I actually didn't do anything to the shading of the hair, but I made the head smaller a bit. Also finished the rough draft of this. How does this look?

I think the bows in her hair conflict a lot with her clothes, but I guess that's a small matter lol

I like matching my clothes so yeah

It looks pretty good if you ask me, though I am not a sprite pro

1 hour ago, Backer said:

rqBK5md.png

There's a couple issues i can see in your mug:

1- the collar of the shirt seems flat. she's wearing a tie, which takes some place and, unless I'm mistaken, the blue part is a different piece of clothes than the shirt.

2- She seems to be lacking a chin. If you look at the other female mugs from the FE, you'll notice their chins aren't on theline of the neck but a couple pixels on the side. It would also help to define her jaw.

3- There's to much shade on her neck while the rest is lightly shaded

4- Space between her nose and her mouth is too small. I think the head should be a tiny bit bigger than what it currently is.

5- I know you haven't work the hair much yet, but they are way too light/un-shaded. Gives the head more a 2D impression than a 3D. You should had more 2nd and 3rd shade in it to create volume

6- The bows are technicly not bad, but they don't fit well the mug IMO. They seem random, out of no where. Maybe it's because of the color or because they are too big

7- Her eyes are a bit in a chape of V (higher on the sides of her head and lower the the middle)

8- The nose is shaded on the left side while the light is coming from that side. It should be the right side (our point of view) that is shaded

I know i pointed out quite a bit of thing, but i want you to improve, so i get critisize a lot the mugs i comment on.

That's actually really helpful. I really appreciate the you taking the time to type that out all. I'll work on it and post the next result.

bjHZQ04.png

The updated sprite is on the right.

Most of the adjustments was done to the face.

Cleaned up the shading on the neck and the neckline was pushed back.

The face was extended by a bit to make room for the distance between the nose and mouth.

Also made the nose a bit longer, but I think I made it too straight. Will probably mess around with it later on.

The eyes are now more square-ish as well.

I'm currently working the shading the hair, but I'm having a lot of difficulty. Hair shading was never my strong point.

The hair is looking pretty good, though a part on the back of the head it looks a little odd with the outline being inconsistent. Part of it is really dark and thick and it sticks out. Perhaps the very back at the bow should be darkened. Shading seems a little uneven on the face from the hair down to the chin. The mouth looks a little off. It looks a little too straight, like a triangle. Maybe try making it a bit more round?

That'll do it for now on criticisms.

yc83fbg.png

Cool, thanks for the critique!

I adjusted the shading on the back of the head and ribbons. I also made the ribbons a bit smaller. 

Included some minor shading the left of the head and lighten the shading on the mouth to make it look more roundish. 

How does it look so far?

I can see some small adjustments made here and there, but that back of the head still sticks out a little. I think the back lines should either be darkened, or the top part be lightened. Perhaps this looks alright?

The collar seems a bit odd. I think the collar should be pointing out a little bit, especially her left side. I also think the right side should be adjusted a little.

Untitled.png

Isn't a general rule for FE8 face sprites that the outline must be in that dark color? I could try to darken the back of the hair a bit and hopefully it'll help. 

As for the collar, I'll raise the ends to make them stick out more. Will post as soon as I am finished!

UduN8q3.png

Added a shade darker line on the back of the head, but didn't edit much there. More work was done on the collar to make them stick out more. How's it look now?

Edited by Backer

• 3 weeks later...

HxboG5o.png

Tried for a berserker feel for this sprite.

I'm still practicing how to shade in hair without making it look fluffy, but I'm not having much success. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

4YXdrtO.png

Drafting something up, but I feel like something's off with the body and the head. I can't really pinpoint it and I'm hoping some extra pair of eyes would help. Any tips on how to proceed?

Please excuse the horrid shading. I'm still practicing. D:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...