Backer's Sprites

Backer

These sprites are pretty good, but there are definitely things you can improve. On many of your sprites, you don't have far cheek shading, which is a staple of FE sprites. Some of your lines could do with cleaning up by making curves smoother and more consistent. Your anatomy is pretty good(the latest girl has a veeeeery small frame though), but details could be spiced up. If you want to improve your hair, I'd suggest studying hair from the vanilla portraits and how they do things. Same deal for things like cloth and armor and especially for trim, which can be pretty hard. It also helps to know how things are drawn in other styles. Keep practicing and you'll keep getting better! A lot of your stuff appears to have disappeared though...

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your critique! It was very helpful, especially regarding the shading on the face. I never really paid attention to that and I admit it really does make the face look a lot better afterwards.

The last sprite was supposed to be child size, but it does look small now after a second glance.

As for the disappearing sprites,  I usually delete them afterwards after the request is fulfilled. I save the ones I like and the ones plan to rework later on though.

Currently working on another request:

h6790WU.png

Shading below the neck area is still WIP, but the overall shape is pretty much done. I'm slowly working on the hair bit by bit as well. Trying to go for the disheveled hair look. Any comments would be appreciate.

Edited by Backer

Not bad, definetively better than the first you posted here!

Couple thing though:

1- Head is too small. It barely has skin ''between the face and the face outline''. I'd say 2 pixels or so on each side.

2- Jawline appears to be really sharp, so the face shape should be ''squarer''. The chin should be at least 1-2 pixels large and not just pointy.

3- It needs more shading right under the neck. Always depending on the shading style you are going for, but from your previous work, it appears to be a mix between anime style (which is almost none ) and FE8 style  (high contrast between shade). Light is coming from top left corner, so add some 4th and 3rd shade. 

4- The white clothe appears to be separate from the green shirt, so it has to be at least 1 pixels larger, than the shirt (larger on her waist and higher on her shoulders)

5- It lacks shading under the sleeves.

6- She has at least D-cup boobs (if you compare them to the face you can really imagine how big they are) so it needs shading under them and quite define since the clothes seems really fit. Don't forget, light is coming from top.

7- Hairs are boring (I used a strong word on purpuse). Outside of clothes, hair are the one thing that helps to express one personnality. Her seems mehhhh... You learn nothing about the char looking at her current hair. Add curves, difined lines and a bang or so.

8- Currently there is 2 style of shading in the hair : almost none on top and a pillow shadowed / overly shaded  one on the side. A thing i liked to do when i sprited hair was to put all the hair on 2nd shade, than add 3rd shade where i wanted more definition and finished with the palest one at the end highlighting  where light ''hits'' the hair. It helped me seeing where contrast should be instead of just how dark an area should be.

I know i pointed out a lot, but those are the major one i can quickly see.

Left is new, right is old:

sxiZWYj.png     h6790WU.png

1. I extended the right side of the face by a pixel, should I extend it by one more? I don't want to overpush it.

2. Made the chin a pixel wider.

3. More shading under the neck.

4. Nice call on this one, I increased the white cloth on the  shoulder and waist by one pixel.

5-6. Still WIP, but I'll get there. On a different note, I always assumed that the light source is coming straight from either the left or right rather than the top left. I'll definitely keep this tidbit in mind for the next sprite, but I'm afraid that this one has the light source straight from the left and I'm too far ahead to change.

7. Add some extra lines along the edge of hair to make it more disheveled. 

8. That's a very good method, I'll try this method on the next sprite. Currently, I'm working on the hair bit by bit each day rather than tackling the whole thing at once. This keeps it a little more interesting as I'm looking at it anew everyday and adding some lines here and there. Previously, I would always try to rush the hair in the end as I would work on it last. 

Overall, thank you for time and critique. This is helping me a lot. :)

Edited by Backer

So I think I've backed myself into a corner on the hair. I've spend some time trying to shading the front of the hair to make it consistent, but I'm not really making any progress.

Despite this, I really like how this one turned out. 

Dca0hbu.png

• 2 weeks later...