Serenes Makes a FE Game Tier List: Round 5

Jedi

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to see a few people decrying Gaiden. I thought it was pretty firmly split between "Too troublesome to play beyond Chapter 1" and "Decent if you can forgive archaic UI" 

Edited by Jotari

Why isn't Heroes included in this? I think it should be, as it is an FE game made by IS. Anyway.

Best

3 pts - Radiant Dawn

2 pts - Path of Radiance

1 pt - Heroes

Worst

3 pts - Shadow Dragon

2 pts - Blazing Sword

1 pt - Awakening

Gee sounds fun

Best:

3 Points: Fire emblem 7

2 Points: Fire emblem Awakening

1 Point: Fire emblem sacred stones

Worst:

3 Points: Fire emblem 1

2 Points: Fire emblem Revelations

1 Point: Thracia 77UHHHHHHH BOREEED

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Surprised to see a few people decrying Gaiden. I thought it was pretty firmly split between "Too troublesome to play beyond Chapter 1" and "Decent if you can forgive archaic UI" 

It's cool for a NES game.

But that only gets you so far, esp when even FE1 aged better. In context I think FE7 is a worse game but its a lot more playable than Gaiden is.

Edited by Irysa

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

gaiden is fun in a world with emulators

i love gaiden, but i only enjoy it because I can hit the fast forward button on the emulator whenever boring stuff happens, and I can watch an episode of futurama or something on the side while I play the super tedious maps

it's not actually a good game

19 minutes ago, Irysa said:

It's cool for a NES game.

But that only gets you so far, esp when even FE1 aged better. In context I think FE7 is a worse game but its a lot more playable than Gaiden is.

What allowed FE1 age better than Gaiden? I've only played Gaiden but from the footage I see of FE1 it uses pretty much the same engine. Is it just stuff like the hit rates?

its seize so the game is less of a slog, your movement ranges are higher and the maps have more actually in them to meaningfully interactwith, and hitrates are better. enemies aren't as tanky.

gaiden has better music I guess.

Edited by Irysa

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What allowed FE1 age better than Gaiden? I've only played Gaiden but from the footage I see of FE1 it uses pretty much the same engine. Is it just stuff like the hit rates?

i wouldn't say that fe1 "aged" better, but that it's just a better game

gaiden isn't really good even for its time, it's a pretty bad and boring game in general

for one thing, there's much less reuse of maps in fe1, and said maps actually have things in them. gaiden's maps are really boring and a lot of them are reused and you have to kill all the enemies to win and the enemies can summon more enemies that you have to kill and the hitrates are all bad so it takes forever to kill things 

those things didn't age badly, they're just bad. fe1 is slow and not too fun but there's slightly more actual strategy involved and the maps don't take forever (and there's less of them)

neither of them are great games but fe1 is definitely the less bad of the two, even if I like gaiden more

Best

3 points - Geneology
2 points - Sacred Stones
1 point - Blazing Blade

Worst

3 points - Path of Radiance
2 points - Radiant Dawn
1 point - Binding Blade

Never played FE11/12, 3 and 5 or 13/14.

I didn't play all the games, so...

Best:

3pts: Genealogy

2pts: Sacred Stones

1pt: Blazing Blade (even though it was pretty boring until ch16 came around)

Worst:

3pt Shadow Dragon

2pt. New Mystery of the Emblem 

1pt Binding Blade 

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Why isn't Heroes included in this? I think it should be, as it is an FE game made by IS. Anyway.

Because its a spinoff, If I included Heroes I'd have to include BS Fire Emblem and such as well.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

Because its a spinoff, If I included Heroes I'd have to include BS Fire Emblem and such as well.

What? It's not a spinoff. TMS is the spinoff. Heroes has FE lords, a story, etc. just like other FE games. What makes it a spinoff? The fact that it's for phones rather than Nintendo consoles? That's silly.

What the hell is BS FE?

Edited by Anacybele

Best:

3- Genealogy of the Holy War

2- Thracia 776

1- Sacred Stones

Worst:

3- Revelations

2- New Mystery of the Emblem

1- Dark Dragon & Sword of Light

Best: 

3 points: Radiant Dawn 

2 points: Sacred Stones

1 point: Awakening

Worst:

3 points: Fates Revelations

2 points: Fire Emblem 1

1 point: Shadow Dragon

Out of the ones I've played (everything released outside Japan, except Revelations, and Genealogy)

Best

3 points - Path of Radiance
2 points - Sacred Stones
1 point - Awakening

Worst

3 points - Genealogy
2 points - Radiant Dawn
1 point - FE7

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

What? It's not a spinoff. TMS is the spinoff. Heroes has FE lords, a story, etc. just like other FE games. What makes it a spinoff? The fact that it's for phones rather than Nintendo consoles? That's silly.

What the hell is BS FE?

This. Why does everyone treat Heroes as a spin-off? It was made by IntSys, it follows the core gameplay of the FE series, and it has the same general plot as every other FE now that Paralogue 3 exists.

BSFE is the four Satellaview maps that got remade in New Mystery.

And, uh, I've only played six games in the series:

Favourites

3 points: Awakening. My first, so nostalgia probably plays a part, but I find the plot inoffensive and the characters fairly believable, and I like Lunatic+, so that's the regular complaints pretty much gone. Pair Up is OP, though.

2 points: Heroes. Short maps make for a pleasant experience. Also, I kinda enjoy the gacha please don't judge me.

1 point: The Sacred Stones. A bit easy and short, but has Lute so 10/10.

Not so much:

-3 points: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. I cannot stand its slow, clunky interface. Ended up being a chore to play.

-2 points: Fates. Bad plot and caricatures instead of characters kill this one. Gameplay is fantastic, though, especially in Conquest.

-1 point: Gaiden. After FE1, the smooth gameplay is a breath of fresh air, and I really like the plot. It's here only because of how few FE games I've played.

41 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

This. Why does everyone treat Heroes as a spin-off? It was made by IntSys, it follows the core gameplay of the FE series, and it has the same general plot as every other FE now that Paralogue 3 exists.

Exactly my point! I wouldn't agree that every FE plot is the same (even if they all do kinda share one thing, and that's war between two different nations. But we wouldn't have an FE story without that, now would we?), but I see no reason to group Heroes in the same category as TMS when TMS has almost no FE characteristics while Heroes has every core element of a standard FE game.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Exactly my point! I wouldn't agree that every FE plot is the same (even if they all do kinda share one thing, and that's war between two different nations. But we wouldn't have an FE story without that, now would we?), but I see no reason to group Heroes in the same category as TMS when TMS has almost no FE characteristics while Heroes has every core element of a standard FE game.

I'm legitimately surprised you've never discovered what BS Fire Emblem is in all the years you've been here. I didn't think it was that under recognised by the community.

(also FE7 isn't about a war between two nations :p)

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I'm legitimately surprised you've never discovered what BS Fire Emblem is in all the years you've been here. I didn't think it was that under recognised by the community.

(also FE7 isn't about a war between two nations :p)

I heard of it, but never knew that it was at all.

(Yes it is. Eliwood and his group repeatedly fight against Laus and Bern, so they are at war with them. It's not the only main point of the story, there's also the Black Fang, of course, but it's still there.)

Just now, Anacybele said:

(Yes it is. Eliwood and his group repeatedly fight against Laus and Bern, so they are at war with them. It's not the only main point of the story, there's also the Black Fang, of course, but it's still there.)

Eliwood and pals don't really fight Bern in FE7.  They fight a group of assassins based in Bern, while seeing how screwed up Zephiel's childhood was, but there was no full blown war between Bern and anyone really until The Great Movement of Bern 20 years later.

As for Laus, they're not a country, and the conflict with them was honestly pretty small and basically got quietly swept under the rug history wise, it was a failed uprising but not much more.  

I wouldn't really call any of the events of FE7 a war.  It was kinda necessary to have FE7 be more of a hush-hush conflict to avoid making it seem weird that some major event happened 20 years ago goes entirely unmentioned in FE6.  No one outside Eliwood's group really knew about Nergal's evil plan or the effort to stop it.

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

You never tried googling it?

(Just because you fight someone, doesn't mean you're at war with them, even if you're a prince. Further more, Laus is actually the same country as Ostia, both being part of the Lycian League. It's more the equivalent of two American states duking it out, so not two 'nations'. Yes I'm being pedantic about this.).

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Eliwood and pals don't really fight Bern in FE7.  They fight a group of assassins based in Bern, while seeing how screwed up Zephiel's childhood was, but there was no full blown war between Bern and anyone really until The Great Movement of Bern 20 years later.

As for Laus, they're not a country, and the conflict with them was honestly pretty small and basically got quietly swept under the rug history wise, it was a failed uprising but not much more.  

I wouldn't really call any of the events of FE7 a war.  It was kinda necessary to have FE7 be more of a hush-hush conflict to avoid making it seem weird that some major event happened 20 years ago goes entirely unmentioned in FE6.  No one outside Eliwood's group really knew about Nergal's evil plan or the effort to stop it.

Yeah, that's a fair point I guess. I suppose this is also why I found FE7's story boring, it wasn't as "major" a thing going on, and didn't have much happening besides stopping the Black Fang.