What weapon should the villagers have?

Which weapon do you want them to use?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which weapon do you want them to use?

• Axes
    • Lances
    • Swords

Since the villager class is most likely returning in fire emblem switch (and the rest of the future titles), what weapon do you think they should use going forward in the series? Swords and Lances are both weapons that the villagers have used, but what about axes? I want to see what you think about this. I think that lances fit them the best, but that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Refa said:

Why is the villager class most likely returning?

Because it has appeared in Awakening randomly, and returned in fates as well. Plus, echoes is a remake of gaiden, which is the first game to feature the villagers. Since the villager class has appeared in the most modern FE games, it's highly likely it will be returning in future installments.

Any will do honestly, though I am leaning more towards lances and axes. I always wondered why they didn't begin with weapons that look like farming tools - hoes or pitchforks (lances), scythes (axe), kunai (hidden weapon; if they have another region based from Japan). I thought it would have been a nice touch, though I suppose you could use the excuse that the army gave them a fitting beginning weapon before fighting.

I honestly hope the Trainee class comes back, or they make a class called Squire for Cavaliers or Knights. I think it'd be a change from Villager, despite being similar classes.

Or, they could include all of them and let you take your pick.

Edited by saisymbolic

I like lances because it makes sense for villagers to have a good lance arm. The motion of jabbing with a spear is not dissimilar to a garden hoe or shovel. You could argue the same for axes since woodcutting is another typical activity, as well as being a similar motion to the scythe or sickle. 

Yeah, ask any expert on medieval weapons, and they will say that spears are the easiest weapons to learn. Plus, they are far less expensive than swords (as they require very little metal), spears give a reach advantage that helps compensate for lack of armour, and a large number of pole weapons throughout history were adapted from farming tools; glaives being a good example. So it makes sense that villagers would use lances. Though axes also would make sense, just a little bit less sense in my opinion.

On ‎08‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, saisymbolic said:

I honestly hope the Trainee class comes back, or they make a class called Squire for Cavaliers or Knights. I think it'd be a change from Villager, despite being similar classes.

Or, they could include all of them and let you take your pick.

A squire class does sound like a good idea. Squires would probably use swords. Perhaps squires can choose to promote either to cavalier, knight, or Pegasus/wyvern rider.

I think axes would be alright; after all, if being forced to fight, they might as well use a weapon they already use for the trees: axes. Of course, villagers could perhaps learn both weapon types, axes and lances.

Axes. You could plausibly go for all three options in the story, but in gameplay, axes would help mitigate their low strength at low levels, and compounded with the general lack of playable axe users in early FEs (at least compared to lance/sword users), it would boost the villager's utility.

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 2:04 AM, vanguard333 said:

Yeah, ask any expert on medieval weapons, and they will say that spears are the easiest weapons to learn. Plus, they are far less expensive than swords (as they require very little metal), spears give a reach advantage that helps compensate for lack of armour, and a large number of pole weapons throughout history were adapted from farming tools; glaives being a good example. So it makes sense that villagers would use lances. Though axes also would make sense, just a little bit less sense in my opinion.

This. You can make a lance by sharpening a stick but swords require a lot of metal, not to mention forging. A number of farming tools can also be wielded as makeshift weapons (or a woodcutter's axe). Another weapon I could see them using is a bow and arrow normally used for.hunting.

Give them the entire weapon triangle at base but with E ranks in everything, and you promote to the appropriate Tier 1 class upon hitting D rank in the respective weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

Axes or lances, since axes are actually farm/labor tools, and lances are similar to pitchforks, which is a stereotypical "villager" weapon, even outside of FE. Swords if villagers come from militias or more well-funded villages.

I do think it'd be cool if villagers in the next Switch game were like villagers from Shadows of Valentia, where you can pick which class route you want them to go down.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the sound of axes because hey I'm sure the villagers are going to need to chop firewood for their homes and also I like the idea of differant types of villagers like Echoes does. However I would like to see the trainee unit from Sacred Stones appear, where you had a fighter trainee, a mage trainee, but I would want this expanded upon where maybe there's an archer trainee or a mercenary trainee ect.

It honestly depends but I feel they should change it up since (not counting Echoes) Villagers up to this point has lances I feel axes should get some spotlight with Hatchets like how farmers uses sickles but I really want the Trainee concept from Sacred Stones too come back.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

On 4/16/2017 at 9:46 PM, X-Naut said:

Give them the entire weapon triangle at base but with E ranks in everything, and you promote to the appropriate Tier 1 class upon hitting D rank in the respective weapon.

THIS.

Though, if Fire Emblem Switch is only going to have a maximum of three weapon types per class, I would simply leave out bows.

But with this in mind, now we need to know which specific Tier 1 class they would promote to (e.g. Mercenary vs. Myrmidon).

I mean - I literally never make my villagers into lancer users but lances make the most sense to me. Maybe that's just because that's what I'm used to though.

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's historically accurate that peasants called into war during Medieval times weren't supplied with weapons by their lords (well-made weapons were really expensive) and would have to basically use whatever tools they owned instead, so axes would probably be the most common (though polearms like pitchforks were also used pretty frequently, so giving them lances would kinda make sense, too).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:22 AM, ClevelandSteve said:

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's historically accurate that peasants called into war during Medieval times weren't supplied with weapons by their lords (well-made weapons were really expensive) and would have to basically use whatever tools they owned instead, so axes would probably be the most common (though polearms like pitchforks were also used pretty frequently, so giving them lances would kinda make sense, too).

Yeah; pretty much everyone in a medieval army had to pay for their weapons themselves, but spears and polearms were the most common weapons (a large number of polearms, such as glaives, were adapted from farming tools). Also, spears would have been the easiest weapons to learn.

Edited by vanguard333

On 5/8/2017 at 6:45 AM, Von Ithipathachai said:

THIS.

Though, if Fire Emblem Switch is only going to have a maximum of three weapon types per class, I would simply leave out bows.

But with this in mind, now we need to know which specific Tier 1 class they would promote to (e.g. Mercenary vs. Myrmidon).

I feel like Lance/Axe/Bow would make more sense, since swords actually require a fair bit of training to be effective with.

I think they'll might use Swords or Lances for the Villager class incase if they add it to the Switch title. I do hope that other 3 trainee classes appear along with the Villager class.

On 4/8/2017 at 8:48 AM, saisymbolic said:

There is a trainee class existed that is called Recruit that does promote to Knights or Cavaliers in The Sacred Stones.

On April 17, 2017 at 9:46 AM, X-Naut said:

Stole the words right out of my mouth. Except give them bows too.

On 6/6/2017 at 8:10 PM, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I feel like Lance/Axe/Bow would make more sense, since swords actually require a fair bit of training to be effective with.

An axe requires a bit of training to use, too. As a weapon, it's weird, since as much as we see axes in fantasy, they really weren't super prevalent as weapons, especially among well-equipped, well-funded armies compared to swords, spears, bows and even maces. 

But, there's actually a good deal of technique in properly swinging an axe, and you'll figure this out very quickly when you try to chop anything down, and I think it's a part of firefighter training. You have to make sure you're swinging with enough force to do damage, and not enough where you'll be throwing your own footing off or damaging your shoulder, and you need to make sure you're holding the axe right, making sure the blade is lined up with what you want to hit, to ensure you don't get stuck. You can get an axe stuck in plywood if you don't swing right.

With spears, outside of crazy wushu shit where there are a dozen twirls in between each actual attack attempt, they are very fairly forward. Not that they lack proper technique or anything, but it's probably the easiest of the 3 to kill with without any practice, and the one that would keep you most out of harm's way.  If 3 random peasants picked up a sword, an axe, and a spear, and fought to the death, my money would be on the one with the spear. 

And obviously bows. Bows probably have a higher proficiency ceiling than swords. 

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

An axe requires a bit of training to use, too. As a weapon, it's weird, since as much as we see axes in fantasy, they really weren't super prevalent as weapons, especially among well-equipped, well-funded armies compared to swords, spears, bows and even maces. 

But, there's actually a good deal of technique in properly swinging an axe, and you'll figure this out very quickly when you try to chop anything down, and I think it's a part of firefighter training. You have to make sure you're swinging with enough force to do damage, and not enough where you'll be throwing your own footing off or damaging your shoulder, and you need to make sure you're holding the axe right, making sure the blade is lined up with what you want to hit, to ensure you don't get stuck. You can get an axe stuck in plywood if you don't swing right.

With spears, outside of crazy wushu shit where there are a dozen twirls in between each actual attack attempt, they are very fairly forward. Not that they lack proper technique or anything, but it's probably the easiest of the 3 to kill with without any practice, and the one that would keep you most out of harm's way.  If 3 random peasants picked up a sword, an axe, and a spear, and fought to the death, my money would be on the one with the spear. 

I mean yeah, it definitely takes practice, but nowhere near what it takes to wield a sword properly. I imagine a lot of random villagers would be familiar with cutting wood, and so have some idea of how to handle an axe.