When do you promote your units?

Jotari

When do you promote your units?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. When do you promote your units?

• As soon as they hit level 10!
    • Somewhere around level 15
    • Wouldn't dream of it before lv 20. Need to cap everything!
    • Hahahaha. Who promotes units? I sell that first chance I get and use prepromotes!

Depends on the game, really. In 8 I tend to 20/20 unless it can't wait (like if I get to a point where getting Moulder to level 20 isn't helpful at all, I'll promote him at whatever level). In 13 and 14 I do it whenever because I can get those levels back through second seals/eternal seals to cap stats.

I like to wait until level 20, I even waited until level 20 for Natasha in Sacred Stones. I like squeezing every last ounce of experience before promoting and the higher stats a unit will have at 20 when compared to level 10, I feel help in the long run.

I promote whenever I feel like it, normally when I need a little extra for the current map or to get access to another weapon type like staves. Promoting a few levels early doesn't hurt too much in the long run, and sometimes having a promoted unit a little earlier can make life a little easier.

Around level 15, because that's when units start to cap stats/have EXP gain slow down.  Of course, there are exceptions where I promote earlier (Asvel, healers are what come to mind) and where I promote later (Shanna, Jill, and Marcia come to mind).

Edited by Refa

12 minutes ago, Refa said:

Around level 15, because that's when units start to cap stats/have EXP gain slow down.  Of course, there are exceptions where I promote earlier (Asvel, healers are what come to mind) and where I promote later (Shanna, Jill, and Marcia come to mind).

Pretty much my answer, I tend to do it around 13 myself if they are doing super good or if like, i'm doing Lyn Hard Mode :P: 

1cde57cdb5e67491e78e30bfc88d1807.jpg

2 hours ago, Refa said:

Given the general lack of promotion items in the Tellius games, or at least Path of Radiance, wouldn't you nostly be forced to promote through experience anyway?

That being said, I tend to wait until 20 before promoting - in general, exp gain slows way down after promoting and thus a unit that promoted early would run the risk of being weaker overall than a unit that promoted later.

Just now, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Given the general lack of promotion items in the Tellius games, or at least Path of Radiance, wouldn't you nostly be forced to promote through experience anyway?

That being said, I tend to wait until 20 before promoting - in general, exp gain slows way down after promoting and thus a unit that promoted early would run the risk of being weaker overall than a unit that promoted later.

Yeah, that's definitely true, but even if I had more, I'd still promote them at 20 because it's so convenient to do so thanks to BEXP.

Depends on the game.

Asap FE 1-5

Around level 15 to 20 in FE 6 to 14. And that usually depends on when I get promotion items. The Dawn Brigade is a little special case in I might promote earlier because they might fall behind in their chapters

Depends on the game. In FE7, 8, and SD it's usually right after they hit level 15 (though healers generally get enough XP that they're both among the first promoted and the only units to ever cap their levels). In Awakening and Fates, however, it's the other way around-- combat units wait until level 20, and healers generally get promoted around level 15 due to them falling behind.

it's heavily dependant on the unit/game.  Someone like Gerik who already has great stats benefits a lot from promotion for either a horse or better weapon type.  

Ideally I try to promote as late as possible though.  If the difference in performance in a level 15 unit and a 15/1 unit isn't noticable, there's very little incentive to early promote, and in almost all cases, 10/1 promotions are flat out bad (unless you're playing Thracia or something) except in very select cases.

Conversely, you don't gain a lot by waiting till level 20 to promote, especially in a game like FE8 where most of your units won't even hit level 10 promoted by endgame.  

Edited by General Horace

Honnestly, in games without maps (or BEXP), promoting at level 15 should be enough.

But I will always promote them at level 20. Most recent games allows you to do so wothout much issues : GBA have Arena Abuse, Sacred Stones + Awakening + Fates (without conquest) have maps, Fe9/10 have bonus Exp.

This may not be the most efficient way to play, but it's just feels better to win with the units I trained myself (also why I like Ests.). It feels more rewarding to me.

Massively varies.

A lot of the time, I'd wait for level 20, but if there's little to no reason to expect much growth in the remaining levels I'll go ahead and promote (much as it does give the chance to raise weapon levels as well)

In Gaiden I promote as soon as I can, and get frustrated that female mages wait until level 20. Of course, I expect SoV to be the same....

I've also tried to do playthroughs with Prepromotes (I have certainly bent the rules (e.g. Promoting Sain before HHM)), so with those I just shove the other units out of the party and leave the promotional items lying there.

As a rule of thumb, probably later than would be optimal. Depends on the game, though.

In the GBA games, I usually wait for one or two stats to cap, unless the promotion is really necessary earlier, like for example Rutger before the 8x boss. Also, FE8 healers will be promoted very early because waiting for them to get enough heals in isn't really fun.

In Tellius, at level 20 because BEXP. The one exception might be Mist in FE9 so that she can help out a bit without dying in the BK fight, and maybe again in FE10 because her promotion item is unique to her anyway and I usually don't take her into endgame anyway.

I think FE12 is the game in which I promote the earliest, simply because I tend to need the instant boosts more than in any other game, even FE6. I assume FE11 would be similar, but I don't think I finished it more than once until now.

I pretty much always wait until level 20 to promote units with the exceptions being in New Mystery of the Emblem's Hard Mode when I ran into trouble and really just needed the promotion boosts on some characters, and in Fire Emblem Awakening, since leveling in that game is infinite, anyway, and leveling up past level 10 just slows a unit's approach to learning their other skills.