TRPGs that have the same feelings as FE

Harvey

Ok so a lot of people like myself have this feeling that FE is simply the better TRPG series because of its characters that have depth that most/many TRPGs don't have as of now.

So this thread is about posting games that are close/give a similar feeling that FE games give in terms of character depth and gameplay.

So for now, I think we can all agree that Tear Ring Saga is close to that of an FE feel seeing that Kaga-San basically made that game. 

FEDA : Emblem of Justice. It's a gritty Shining Force, with a basic reputation system. The story doesn't change greatly from what I saw, but you can have different characters depending what you chose. I never finished it, but it's an interresting game.

Stella Glow: It's a FF: Tactics game, gameplay-wise, but all the characters are unique and have their own skills, and there's a system like Supports (a bit more like Social Links from the Persona series, but still).

1 hour ago, Tamanoir said:

FEDA : Emblem of Justice. It's a gritty Shining Force, with a basic reputation system. The story doesn't change greatly from what I saw, but you can have different characters depending what you chose. I never finished it, but it's an interresting game.

And endings.

53 minutes ago, Magillanica Lou Mayvin said:

Does Devil Survivor count as TRPG?
(idk if the fixed turn order disqualifies it)

If so, then yeah, it's also a great alternative to FE.

Funny you mentioned that game as I just bought it like a year ago for 10$.

I have yet to play it though as looking at a few footages, it seems more complex than what I'm used to at FE.

I guess I'll try it after Echoes.

The Ogre battle series for nuanced political plots and characters with SRPG gameplay. I've heard good things about Jeanne d'arc as well on psp (seems to share FE ethos on easy to learn TRPG gameplay and interesting characters). I personally adore Valkyrie Profile as well, it has the collect a large cast of character with interesting backstory thing going on and really fun/unique gameplay (but it's not a grid based srpg, more of a action/turn based rpg hybrid it's quite difficult to explain since it's so odd haha).  

I would say Mercenaries Saga series.They are turned based on a grid with fire emblem, but have more influence from a typical RPG *like classes, item equips, the combat to an extent*The characters do seem unique enough though and your choices influence what the protagonist says and certain items/enemies you get/fight. I like to think that it was the phone version of fire emblem *as it was developed for phones originally before 2 and 3 being put on 3ds eshop* as it also has some deeper then normal perspectives in the story rather then "I'm the protagonist, those guys are evil let's kill them!"

Farland Story. It's really obscure, but it's a bit of a tactical RPG.

Monstania for the SNES is another one. It's not very long and can be beaten in like one or two sittings, but it's pretty fun. 

Digimon Tamer : Cathode / Anode are another one if you can pick up the system for it. 

Vandal Hearts is essentially Fire Emblem with a smaller party size overall and not really much choice for who you deploy because of the way the story carries out, but it's gameplay is very similar to it with some Gaidenish elements. But only the first one. The other two kinda do their own thing but are still fun to play. The third one goes back to more of a traditional feel. 

Bahamut Lagoon ... Sorta, it's strange but it's a nice distraction. 

Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis: They eliminated the turn order from Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together and instead attack in phases like Fire Emblem-- which leads to turns going back and forth between the two. You can change classes for advancement, but you don't have to change classes and the way this game works, it's honestly better to stick with one class than flop around and be bad at everything. 

Super Robot Taisen (or really any of the Super Robot Wars)... Any of them. 

Front Mission-- smaller parties, but the characters have a bit more customization.

Without duplicating what anyone else has said, this is all I can really think of at the top of my head. 

5 hours ago, Harvey said:

Funny you mentioned that game as I just bought it like a year ago for 10$.

I have yet to play it though as looking at a few footages, it seems more complex than what I'm used to at FE.

I guess I'll try it after Echoes.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is from Atlus so expect a lots of Anime and Fanservice.
Anyways the main difference is this there's no player and enemy phase. Each ally and opponent has a fixed turn order. You may bring only four units with each two demons to each map.
The mission objectives are rout or escape missions. Some of them have side conditions like saving NPCs.
Also another thing about this series it that you have to save people in the story by giving the right or best possible answer in the dialogues.

It has a sequel, Record Breaker, which is way better.
It features social links / supports which grant you boosts in the maps. It also has more maps and you have access to more playable characters early on.

I mean, there are a ton of SRPG/TRPGs out there, but for as influential as FE is(Being the trend setter for the genre), basically none are "like" FE. Most ape Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre. 

The obvious ones are TRS/BS, but the connection there is obvious and most people on this site probably already know about them. The next closest from my recollection would probably be Vandal Hearts. 

It's got a bit of FFT(There's height and all animations happen on the map) in there, but it's a linear, story-based SRPG where your units promote when they reach specific levels and there's sort of a weapon triangle(It's more simplified. Infantry beat archers, archers beat mages, mages beat armor, armor beat infantry, if I'm remembering correctly... Though now that I type this out, I feel like this might have been Langrisser...).

Shining Force is up there, too, but that feels more like a turn based RPG where you're on a grid more than something like FE. 

Edited by Slumber

There's a Touhou fangame called Touhou Chemblem that's basically FE11-ish gameplay/story with Touhou characters, right down to certain characters having portraits that make them look like FE11 characters (Lily as Wrys is probably the funniest one I've seen).

It's fun I guess, unfortunately there's no patch even though someone did translate it, since they couldn't get it hacked in.  

Dunno if that counts as what you're looking for.

Anybody ever play Rondo of Swords? The game always caught my eye, but I never bought it due to the low review scores. I mean having to send allies on dispatches to buy new equipment sounds awful, but is the story or gameplay at least halfway good?

On 4/9/2017 at 11:09 AM, Magillanica Lou Mayvin said:

Devil Survivor Overclocked is from Atlus so expect a lots of Anime and Fanservice.

DSO wasn't a lighthearted J-pop fanservice mess. Invariably it's anime-influenced, like all SMT or Japanese media, but despite Midori and other traces of the more comical side, it's overall on the darker/edgier but not gruesome side.

DSO excelled in blending the usual mainline SMT theme of Law vs. Chaos with humanity stuck in the middle, with modern and generally decent anime characters. The feeling of survival and the degeneration of humanity and society is done quite well.

I'll concur that DS2 (haven't played the RB version) does do way better with the gameplay. Making each character's stat spread unique and letting you play as more than just MC-Atsuro-Yuzu-Keisuke/Midori for every day but the last was a major improvement. A boss every day was also far better than Wendigo, Beldr, and then nothing at all until Belial on the end of Day 6, followed by a Day 7 boss rush. Though Multistrike was broken, and a certain demon, despite having an Almighty 100% HP/MP drain that targets a human and both of their demons, was disappointingly weak for a superboss.

I remember playing one called Aedis Eclipse that felt a bit Fire Emblem-y. You get a lot of unique units and can recruit some generic units from the enemy, although it does feel somewhat akin to FF:T still, too. I put hours into that game ^.^

On 4/12/2017 at 3:01 AM, Harvey said:

For some reason....I would like to try out one of the Sakura Wars games by SEGA...kinda looks like it has that FE feel to it imo.

Sakura Wars is half visual novel half tactical mecha game, if you like long periods of time between fights getting to know the characters, then sure, but only one game was localized. Which was the 5th one. 

I played the first but I needed an extensive guide to understand everything. 

Edited by Jedi

Luminous Ark (at least  and ) and Stella Ark (the spiritual successor) have supports as well. LA is just straight up bad, but it has dragons and gods (and, like, a Valley Girl Angel.)

LA2 is fanservicey as hell, but it has supports and base conversations. The story is OK, though somewhat cliché.

And the Spa Bonus Quest isn't DLC at least, adn have everyone, so that already makes it better than Awakening.

On 4/9/2017 at 4:15 AM, Corrobin said:

Stella Glow: It's a FF: Tactics game, gameplay-wise, but all the characters are unique and have their own skills, and there's a system like Supports (a bit more like Social Links from the Persona series, but still).

I keep hearing this is similar to FE and really good, but I'm extremely hesitant becuase I hate hate hate anime trope-y characters and it sure looks like that's the case.

On 4/13/2017 at 7:02 PM, Star said:

I keep hearing this is similar to FE and really good, but I'm extremely hesitant becuase I hate hate hate anime trope-y characters and it sure looks like that's the case.

I don't have Stella Glow, but it sounds like a gradual improvement on Luminous Arc 3 (which never came stateside, and which I've never played either). LA3 made it so you had to deal with time management with building character bonds, whereas in LA1 there is no such restriction, and in LA2, the restrictions aren't so nuanced.

The demo was crap. It emphasized the game's anime music and storyline, with the little gameplay shown slow, simple, and with animations that could be a bit excessive. And the characters seem just as bad as in the LAs. I wonder if they even bothered trying to balance the characters this time. LA2 was pretty bad in this regard, Pip was outdone by Luna, Rasche's value was only because physical units are rare for a long time, and Kaph, Gaston, Alice, and Josie are pure trash.

Stella Glow? Stellar No.

Imageepoch's best title is undeniably the Tales-esque turn-based RPG Arc Rise Fantasia, and even that isn't more than average. Though Prince Weiss and the weapon system from the game are both things I love from it. Magic was nice and powerful too, but MP was so dang restrictive.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 4/10/2017 at 9:39 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

There's a Touhou fangame called Touhou Chemblem that's basically FE11-ish gameplay/story with Touhou characters, right down to certain characters having portraits that make them look like FE11 characters (Lily as Wrys is probably the funniest one I've seen).

It's fun I guess, unfortunately there's no patch even though someone did translate it, since they couldn't get it hacked in.  

Dunno if that counts as what you're looking for.

Do hacks even count in a topic like this? I thinking "no", but I want to be double sure.

On 4/12/2017 at 6:01 AM, Harvey said:

For some reason....I would like to try out one of the Sakura Wars games by SEGA...kinda looks like it has that FE feel to it imo.

Speaking about Sega franchises that are like FE, there's Valkyria Chronicles. The gameplay is nothing like the FE games themselves, but they're strategy games nonetheless. Scouts are basically your Cavaliers/Paladins, Shocktroopers are your Mercenaries/Heroes, Engineers are your Clerics/Bishops (though the 1st game makes them more like Tricksters/Adventurers, or like a Sakura/Elise w/Locktouch), and Snipers are your Archers/Snipers. The setting itself is pretty much a vastly different WWII-era Switzerland. And you find out more about the non-main characters via character bios that are gradually filled the more you use those characters. (And it's worth mentioning that the 2nd and 3rd games have support conversations.)

As someone else pointed out, there is Valkyria Chronicles. If you mixed Xcom Enemy Unknown/2 and Fire Emblem together, Valkyria Chronicles would be the result. Its gameplay is a little more along the lines of Xcom mixed with a very small bit of a third person shooter, but with a lot of elements that are reminiscent of Fire Emblem thrown into the mix.The cast of characters is pretty large. I definitely recommend it if you are looking for a tactical role playing game though.

There is also the Disgaea series that are tactical rpgs. They function a little more like FF tactics though, which is another series I recommend if you are looking for more games like that. Though a bit of warning here, the games are essentially the comedy/parody genre of TRPGs, so don't go into it expecting an epic story and heartfelt moments. Otherwise the games are pretty fun. I recommend it if you are looking for more TRPG style games.

There is also the old Vandal Hearts games, they were on PS1 as far as I know.

And if you can find it, there is also Brigandine for the PS1. That is a great game, so I fully recommend it. Again, the problem is finding it under any kind of ridiculous price. Unless you are willing to pay over $80 for a nearly 20 year old game.

Edited by Tolvir

A major part of the eroge Kamidori Alchemy Meister (God-Catching Alchemy Meister) is the turn-based SRPG portion of it. Definitely feels rather Fire Emblem-y with Spd threshold for doubling effect, set attack ranges for weapons and special attacks, passive skills, and various mission objectives and some playable characters do feel like character archetypes in terms of stats and growths.

Edited by Roflolxp54

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't have Stella Glow, but it sounds like a gradual improvement on Luminous Arc 3 (which never came stateside, and which I've never played either). LA3 made it so you had to deal with time management with building character bonds, whereas in LA1 there is no such restriction, and in LA2, the restrictions aren't so nuanced.

The demo was crap. It emphasized the game's anime music and storyline, with the little gameplay shown slow, simple, and with animations that could be a bit excessive. And the characters seem just as bad as in the LAs. I wonder if they even bothered trying to balance the characters this time. LA2 was pretty bad in this regard, Pip was outdone by Luna, Rasche's value was only because physical units are rare for a long time, and Kaph, Gaston, Alice, and Josie are pure trash.

The plot from what it sounds like an unoriginal blend of the plots of LA1 and 2, which were already generic. From what I've gathered on GFAQS, its "chase loli Fatima (LA2's evil witch) and her cronies for half the game" and then comes a plot twist that more or less is identical to what happens in LA1.

Stella Glow? Stellar No!

Imageepoch's best title is undeniably the Tales-esque turn-based RPG Arc Rise Fantasia, and even that isn't more than average. Though Prince Weiss and the weapon system from the game are both things I love from it. Magic was nice and powerful too, but MP was so dang restrictive.

Kaph is a fun one, because he's bad, but oen of the rare units that can hit the final boss without being one shoted, so he was uderused for most of the game (alos because his personality is terrible. They realized it isnce there's even a side quest where you beat the crap out of him.) That Final Boss was pure hell.

And LA2 was already miles better than LA1 (Bosses is either undefeatable, or dies in 1 hits with super attacks. The game is piss eassy except for the Flame Witch battle.)

The demo dosn't do the game's justice, though. I can't stop finding this game dishonnest due to its antécédents, but it's actually quite good. It's to LA2 what LA2 was to LA1  (I hate LA1, because it's pure crap and kinda like LA2, because of the rosetta rosso.)

The gameplay is at least more interresting than fighting the same boss battle over and over for 90% of the game (I sided with Fatima only because I was getting tired of this crap...). And honnestly the big plot twist actually took me by surprise.

Is it the game of the year ? Not really. But it was a fun time. I'm awfully bad at selling that game, but it's honnestly cool. The music is cool at least.